ADVERTISEMENT

Future Kentucky Football Coach Candidates

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
So it's that time of year....we're bored....Stoops has made comments. I truly believe that it's going to be sooner rather than later when it comes to Stoops leaving here or retiring. Many just name names....it's not going to be easy to replace Mark Stoops, but I think it will happen. But I'd like to discuss options if we do have to move on....because he was on the way out last year. So realistically....who are the options?

Please none of the "aww durrr why you making this thread!" and negativity....just a message board offseason hypothetical. I just wanted to see what you guys think...

-Jon Sumrall: He's the fan favorite. He had 2 solid years at Troy and has shown some fire. Can he keep it up at Tulane? We all know him and know he'd be the favorite once is opens. He can recruit...we know that. I would like to see how he puts a staff together and what his plan would be as far as being a program CEO. I mean say he has a 5-7 year at Tulane...would he be the top choice next offseason?

-Neal Brown: He's a really good football coach. Offensive minded guy. He's taken a hit as he took on a tough WVU job with them having to compete in the Big 12 with fewer resources than most in that league. A 9 win season last year and they were in the race for a Big 12 title game berth. He did some big things at Troy against big time teams. Lets see if they have another strong year....I really loved his QB development and the skill guys brought in on his watch....Neal with more resources would be that offensive coach we'd like....

-Gerad Parker: Actually played for Mumme, Morris, and Brooks. He actually was Jon Sumrall's teammate & they graduated together. He has some really good experience being a P5 assistant for the last decade. He served under David Cutfliffe at Duke, James Franklin at Penn State, & was the OC at Notre Dame last season...where they were the 8th best scoring offense in the nation. He's at Troy now and can really show what he can do....keep an eye on him.

-Will Stein: He's coaching at Oregon on one of the best staffs...but he was the guy calling plays. A lot of experience in the Texas area. People will say that he's a Louisville guy....but that's not true all the way. His dad played football at Kentucky and he had season tickets to Kentucky his whole life....he dreamed of playing at KENTUCKY. We didn't offer him and Louisville did. But don't think this job wouldn't be appealing. It's a SEC job that will pay....in the stadium he grew up dreaming of playing in.....plus the Louisville job isn't coming open while Brohm is there anyways.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News