ADVERTISEMENT

Fun fact: Penn St TE caught 17 passes on Saturday

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
How many passes has the entire TE room for UK caught so far this year?

NINE

The entire TE room over 6 games has caught 9.

Our offense is bewildering. I believe we have good TEs. I know that we keep them in to block frequently. But, there is no excuse to have only 9 receptions among 4 TEs after 6 games.

That is truly difficult to comprehend.

SMH

Marrow recruits well but the TE room has been awful under him and Stoops. Every offseason he'll talk crap about having 3 or 4 pro's in the TE room. Then they proceed to catch 25 balls for 300 yards as a group all season long. Rinse and repeat....

Based on BV's comp % of 60%, you can assume that the TEs this year haven't even been targeted 17 times. Didn't Hamdan, preseason, state that we needed to get the ball to the TEs as they are weapons we need to use?

This is an aspect of Stoops’ coaching that I can’t make sense of. Everything about his coaching style and what he apparently wants in an offense screams that we should be hitting the TE on PAs 10 times a game.

But aside from *maybe* CJ Conrad under Gran we have ignored the TE completely. And, yes, Marrow has recruited that room well, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Especially the last 3 years where we’ve really struggled offensively, not using the TE is just negligence

We only had 7 possessions on sat. Thats something to keep in mind.

Also you can call whatever play you want, but the players have to execute. Tes were targeted noticably more this season. We even had a te screen or two. We had a delay to dingle knocked down that would've been huge. We hit dingle for a delay td earlier which was a really nice play and we should come back to.

Two of dane's tds were forced to him while dingle was wide open, both on the exact same route combo. Wrong read but both ended in tds so noone sees they should've been dingles.

In 12 personnel any one te is getting at most 3-5 targets a game and thats high for us. Just how it is.

stoops has had six different OCs. The common denominator for TE lack of production is the position coach, and the quality of player recruited to play TE at UK.

Our TEs don’t get open. Watch them during a game.

And, yes, Marrow has recruited that room well, which makes it all the more frustrating.
While I agree that we should target the TE more, I don’t necessarily agree with this. We have only signed 2 four star TE’s during Stoops tenure. All but 2 have been ranked outside the top 20 TE recruits in the nation.

Vince always talks up the TE room, but I’m not sure he recruits that position that well.

Reactions: permdaddy
While I agree that we should target the TE more, I don’t necessarily agree with this. We have only signed 2 four star TE’s during Stoops tenure. All but 2 have been ranked outside the top 20 TE recruits in the nation.

Vince always talks up the TE room, but I’m not sure he recruits that position that well.
Bates, Rodriguez, Upshaw, and Dingle were all 5.7 3*. Bates was a one-time top 250 recruit. Rodriguez had UT and Auburn after him.

I didn’t mean to give the impression that we’re stacked with world class talent, but we’ve recruited well enough that we could reasonably expect good production out of that group.

Last edited:
Reactions: bthaunert
I don't know, but I'm guessing that very few of the long line of TEs Iowa has put into the NFL weren't 4-5* recruits, either. We've had TEs more than capable of being weapons and we just don't use them very often. If the WRs are double covered, couldn't we ask the TE to chip a LB or DE and then flare out for a 4+ yard catch? It doesn't seem like our QBs even look at the TE except on very rare occasions. Some of my frustration in this area is what I perceive as a playbook full of passing plays that take too long to develop, which almost requires a back and/or TE stay in and block the entire time. Watching the NFL, I see a lot of TEs chip and then release and catch a ton of passes. Seems like we could emulate that with more regularity (I would include RBs in that strategy, also).

Reactions: CrimsonCats
This is an aspect of Stoops’ coaching that I can’t make sense of. Everything about his coaching style and what he apparently wants in an offense screams that we should be hitting the TE on PAs 10 times a game.

But aside from *maybe* CJ Conrad under Gran we have ignored the TE completely. And, yes, Marrow has recruited that room well, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Especially the last 3 years where we’ve really struggled offensively, not using the TE is just negligence
He has no coaching style except how he cashes his 9 million dollar check.

• Love
Reactions: Wildcatjedi
How many passes has the entire TE room for UK caught so far this year?

NINE

The entire TE room over 6 games has caught 9.

Our offense is bewildering. I believe we have good TEs. I know that we keep them in to block frequently. But, there is no excuse to have only 9 receptions among 4 TEs after 6 games.

That is truly difficult to comprehend.

SMH
You're joking no way tight ends catch footballs no way they are only used for blocking don't you know that you must be living in some parallel universe tights ends playing receivers
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

You're joking no way tight ends catch footballs no way they are only used for blocking don't you know that you must be living in some parallel universe tights ends playing receivers
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office
Well, to be fair, I've never coached or played FBS level football, so I am completely clueless about how football is played. It's not as if I've watched >500 games in my lifetime. I shouldn't expect our TEs to do something so out of the ordinary. My bad :)

Well, to be fair, I've never coached or played FBS level football, so I am completely clueless about how football is played. It's not as if I've watched >500 games in my lifetime. I shouldn't expect our TEs to do something so out of the ordinary. My bad :)
😆

Kentucky's tight ends have to block a lot to make up for deficiencies in the O-Line. But even with that, I think they should be targeted more.

We aren’t good in protection so our TEs have to stay and help a lot. We also milk the clock and don’t get many snaps. With the way we play there aren’t exactly a lot of opportunities to go around.

Reactions: WildcatforLife1965
We aren’t good in protection so our TEs have to stay and help a lot. We also milk the clock and don’t get many snaps. With the way we play there aren’t exactly a lot of opportunities to go around.
God I hate that offense. Every year we are going up tempo and every year our offense performs like a wore out rented mule. All we hear in preseason is how we have the deep threats, the tight ends, etc and all we do when the game starts is play milk the clock. It’s a losers mentality. I’m ready for a new head coach.

I don't know why any tight end would wanna come play for UK. You will barely ever have a pass thrown your way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT