ADVERTISEMENT

Formula 1

Great to see Lewis recapture the winning feeling. I wonder how he feels about leaving for a worse team next year?

With 11 to go, and the way Max was coming on, I thought he might do it. But it turns out, Lewis was probably nursing his tires, and closed it out solidly.

Norris just seems to always make a critical mistake late that dooms him. Today, for instance, overshooting the box kept him from getting the lead, coming out of the pits. Not saying it definitely cost him the victory, but it's not out of the question. He's still awfully young though, and hopefully he can get that cleaned up.

With 11 to go, and the way Max was coming on, I thought he might do it. But it turns out, Lewis was probably nursing his tires, and closed it out solidly.

Norris just seems to always make a critical mistake late that dooms him. Today, for instance, overshooting the box kept him from getting the lead, coming out of the pits. Not saying it definitely cost him the victory, but it's not out of the question. He's still awfully young though, and hopefully he can get that cleaned up.

Leaving Norris out an extra lap is what cost him. Not sure if that was his call or his team’s.

Leaving Norris out an extra lap is what cost him. Not sure if that was his call or his team’s.
Don’t think you can blame it on just one thing. The extra lap before pitting for inters cost him ~5 seconds. Overshooting the pit box cost him ~2 seconds.

Switching to softs instead of mediums for the last stint was also a problem. If you look at the lap times for the final stints, both Verstappen on the hard tires and Piastri on the medium tires were lapping quicker than Hamilton and Norris.

And for Norris in particular, his tires seemed to go off a cliff on lap 48. On lap 47, he was about 0.3 seconds slower than Hamilton and 0.5 seconds slower than Verstappen. On lap 48, the gap jumped to about 1 second per lap slower than Hamilton and 1.5 seconds slower than Verstappen. If he had gone onto medium tires instead, he may have held position against Verstappen and maybe even have caught Hamilton.

Hard to tell, but McLaren, for all the strides they've made, just like Norris, always seem to botch something during the race. Just enough to keep them from winning.

Silverstone is an extremely demanding track, and everything else aside, Hamilton is probably the best ever at handling it.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
Hard to tell, but McLaren, for all the strides they've made, just like Norris, always seem to botch something during the race. Just enough to keep them from winning.

Silverstone is an extremely demanding track, and everything else aside, Hamilton is probably the best ever at handling it.

Yep. The thing with RB is that they hardly ever make a bad call. The other teams all have at least one major blunder during each race - I reckon some of that is because they feel they have to do something different to compete with Max, but still…..you’d think people at that level would RARELY make a mistake. Instead it’s the opposite

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Have you all gotten into sim racing? iRacing is one that I'm thinking of getting back into, and AMS2.
I could see doing that. It's a pretty good upfront investment though isn't it. I mean, nothing like flight simulators, but pretty pricey nonetheless, right?

Reactions: NociHTTP
I could see doing that. It's a pretty good upfront investment though isn't it. I mean, nothing like flight simulators, but pretty pricey nonetheless, right?

I think a lot the very top guys have multiple tens of thousands sunk into their sims. There are also guys who race with a steering wheel attached to their desk and a little pedal stand underneath. You can get into it for under one k with the basics.

Talk about a 180 by McLaren. A year ago they looked dead and now they are controlling a race so easily they swapped winners.

Clownshow by McLaren today

Not really. Piastri would have controlled that race from beginning to end had they brought him in first. They brought Lando first because it was better for the team. Hence, Piastri gets the place back. It was always going to be the case once they made the decision to box Lando before Oscar.

If you think this decision was wacky or stupid or non competitive, you should watch a few past seasons of F1. You’ll understand exactly why they did it. It’s a team sport. Oscar deserved to win, so he won.

Last edited:
I'm a slot car enthusiast (much to my wife's dismay), and Formula 409 is the perfect cleaning product to clean the track and rails. True story. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP
I'm not really sure whether it's expensive or not. It would be expensive for me because I don't make that much money. The costs:

VR (which is very immersive) or
Multiple monitors (3 is best) or
Single display
Decent PC
Steering wheel, preferably force feedback or even better Direct Drive
Pedals that are calibrated to sim racing
Cockpit, very difficult to find a decent one, they take up space and be pretty expensive for a good one
iRacing membership cost
Costs to buy cars and tracks

I know that some of the best professional drivers in the world are into iRacing, so you're likely to be up against them lol.

I DGAF what the team discussed and this or that, slowing down and letting a driver pass you to win, is BULLSHIT. He was in 1st, had to slow down and LET the teammate pass him. NACAR, there is no way in hell Kyle Larson is slowing up and letting another Hendrick car get a W (or any NASCAR driver / team), it just is not happening. WHY exactly did Piastri "deserve" to win ? If so, wouldn't he have been out front ? Pit strategy or no pit strategy, the guy running 1st should get the win. I HOPE those 7 extra points cost them the championship. Lando I have a feeling is going to regret that decision, and he wasn't too thrilled with doing it anyway. Look at it how you want to, they had their racer, throw the race, period. Pit strategy is what it is, and if it helped Lando, so be it. Doesn't mean he should LET Piastri win.

Only way I could see a NASCAR driver letting a teammate win is for a playoff spot, still not certain anyone would. Ego and Me attitude is what makes race car drivers so good. It is not a team sport, only a team of individual racers. They share data, ideas, but NOT letting teammates win.

I DGAF what the team discussed and this or that, slowing down and letting a driver pass you to win, is BULLSHIT. He was in 1st, had to slow down and LET the teammate pass him. NACAR, there is no way in hell Kyle Larson is slowing up and letting another Hendrick get a W (or any NASCAR driver / team), it just is not happening. WHY exactly did Piastri "deserve" to win ? If so, wouldn't he have been out front ? Pit strategy or no pit strategy, the guy running 1st should get the win. I HOPE those 7 extra points cost them the championship. Lando I have a feeling is going to regret that decision, and he wasn't too thrilled with doing it anyway. Look at it how you want to, they had their racer, throw the race, period. Pit strategy is what it is, and if it helped Lando, so be it. Doesn't mean he should LET Piastri win.

Then watch NASCAR (I watch both). They are 2 completely different sports. Not remotely similar.

Then watch NASCAR (I watch both). They are 2 completely different sports. Not remotely similar.
I watch both also. And don't try and tell me WTF to do. Racing is about finishing first, not letting a teammate pass you because of some BS pit strategy. Only thing different is the type of car, BOTH are about finishing 1st. HTF any race fan can justify a guy throwing a race is beyond me.

I watch both also. And don't try and tell me WTF to do. Racing is about finishing first, not letting a teammate pass you because of some BS pit strategy. Only thing different is the type of car, BOTH are about finishing 1st. HTF any race fan can justify a guy throwing a race is beyond me.

Well I guess you haven’t been watching F1 for long, because yesterday was hardly a new thing. If you don’t like the sport as it exists, stop watching. Maybe they will change decades of team strategy to accommodate you.

Well I guess you haven’t been watching F1 for long, because yesterday was hardly a new thing. If you don’t like the sport as it exists, stop watching. Maybe they will change decades of team strategy to accommodate you.
OR maybe you watch it and have YOUR opinion, and I will watch it and have MY opinion. It is not a one way deal. If it is so well known, why was Lando upset about it ? And save the BS PR interview. EVERYBODY was yelling at him to slow down (and thought he wasn't going to), his crew chief said "Last time Lando, let him pass." Verstappen would NOT do that, like he said, he could stay home, his strategy is to finish 1st.

OR maybe you watch it and have YOUR opinion, and I will watch it and have MY opinion. It is not a one way deal. If it is so well known, why was Lando upset about it ? And save the BS PR interview. EVERYBODY was yelling at him to slow down (and thought he wasn't going to), his crew chief said "Last time Lando, let him pass." Verstappen would NOT do that, like he said, he could stay home, his strategy is to finish 1st.

Fair. I didn’t love it either, but that die was cast when Lando received the undercut.

And I don’t know about whether Max would do that or not, but their resumes are markedly different. Maybe if Lando win 3 championships for McLaren, they’ll stop asking him to do the right thing. Guys like Max and Lewis and Alonso have earned the respect they have.

I get it NASCAR and Formula racing are totally different "cultures" to put it nicely, no matter how hard NASCAR is trying to branch out. But the goal is to 1. win races, 2. win championships. Yesterday letting a teammate pass you for the win does not help accomplish either of the 2. Now if being a good team player, have great team bonding and being friends is the objective, it was a good "team" decision. IF Lando goes on to lose the championship by less than 7 points, I would love to readdress the situation and more so hear what he has to say about that decision. I can only assume he would be pissed off, and should be.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
I get it NASCAR and Formula racing are totally different "cultures" to put it nicely, no matter how hard NASCAR is trying to branch out. But the goal is to 1. win races, 2. win championships. Yesterday letting a teammate pass you for the win does not help accomplish either of the 2. Now if being a good team player, have great team bonding and being friends is the objective, it was a good "team" decision. IF Lando goes on to lose the championship by less than 7 points, I would love to readdress the situation and more so hear what he has to say about that decision. I can only assume he would be pissed off, and should be.

I’m here for the drama if Max wins the title over Lando by less than 7. Sign me up 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT