ADVERTISEMENT

Formula 1

Great to see Lewis recapture the winning feeling. I wonder how he feels about leaving for a worse team next year?

With 11 to go, and the way Max was coming on, I thought he might do it. But it turns out, Lewis was probably nursing his tires, and closed it out solidly.

Norris just seems to always make a critical mistake late that dooms him. Today, for instance, overshooting the box kept him from getting the lead, coming out of the pits. Not saying it definitely cost him the victory, but it's not out of the question. He's still awfully young though, and hopefully he can get that cleaned up.

With 11 to go, and the way Max was coming on, I thought he might do it. But it turns out, Lewis was probably nursing his tires, and closed it out solidly.

Norris just seems to always make a critical mistake late that dooms him. Today, for instance, overshooting the box kept him from getting the lead, coming out of the pits. Not saying it definitely cost him the victory, but it's not out of the question. He's still awfully young though, and hopefully he can get that cleaned up.

Leaving Norris out an extra lap is what cost him. Not sure if that was his call or his team’s.

Leaving Norris out an extra lap is what cost him. Not sure if that was his call or his team’s.
Don’t think you can blame it on just one thing. The extra lap before pitting for inters cost him ~5 seconds. Overshooting the pit box cost him ~2 seconds.

Switching to softs instead of mediums for the last stint was also a problem. If you look at the lap times for the final stints, both Verstappen on the hard tires and Piastri on the medium tires were lapping quicker than Hamilton and Norris.

And for Norris in particular, his tires seemed to go off a cliff on lap 48. On lap 47, he was about 0.3 seconds slower than Hamilton and 0.5 seconds slower than Verstappen. On lap 48, the gap jumped to about 1 second per lap slower than Hamilton and 1.5 seconds slower than Verstappen. If he had gone onto medium tires instead, he may have held position against Verstappen and maybe even have caught Hamilton.

Hard to tell, but McLaren, for all the strides they've made, just like Norris, always seem to botch something during the race. Just enough to keep them from winning.

Silverstone is an extremely demanding track, and everything else aside, Hamilton is probably the best ever at handling it.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
Hard to tell, but McLaren, for all the strides they've made, just like Norris, always seem to botch something during the race. Just enough to keep them from winning.

Silverstone is an extremely demanding track, and everything else aside, Hamilton is probably the best ever at handling it.

Yep. The thing with RB is that they hardly ever make a bad call. The other teams all have at least one major blunder during each race - I reckon some of that is because they feel they have to do something different to compete with Max, but still…..you’d think people at that level would RARELY make a mistake. Instead it’s the opposite

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Have you all gotten into sim racing? iRacing is one that I'm thinking of getting back into, and AMS2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT