ADVERTISEMENT

Formula 1

HymanKaplan

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001
Max is still Max, but Lando Norris is right on his heels. That start doomed him, otherwise he gets the win. He (Norris) is a ridiculously talented driver, and well might cut the "Era of Max" short.

That post looks pretty prophetic, in light of the childish, desperate driving display the Max put on today.

Red Bull's advantage is crumbling, and Max is reverting back to his old, irrational self.

What a child...

That post looks pretty prophetic, in light of the childish, desperate driving display the Max put on today.

Red Bull's advantage is crumbling, and Max is reverting back to his old, irrational self.

What a child...
Just looked like aggressive driving from both of them to me, with Max misjudging things at the end and causing the collision. Not sure I saw anything I’d call childish.

What a child...
You're correct. Verstappen looked like a clown today.
It will be interesting when Honda stops supplying their engines next year and RB switches to Ford power.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
He kept reacting laterally in the braking zone, everytime Norris chose a line (with DNS no less) which is a big no no.

The racing stewards were even more at fault. It was clear that things were escalating to a stupid degree, and yet they refused to act quickly, when it might have mattered.
Just looked like aggressive driving from both of them to me, with Max misjudging things at the end and causing the collision. Not sure I saw anything I’d call childish.

He kept reacting laterally in the braking zone, everytime Norris chose a line (with DNS no less) which is a big no no.

The racing stewards were even more at fault. It was clear that things were escalating to a stupid degree, and yet they refused to act quickly, when it might have mattered.
Agreed.

I'll add this. I do like the DRS that F1 has. Get within one second of the guy in front of you and you get like a 15 HP push (or less drag) which closes things up. That's where Norris had Verstappen beat today until Max went Mad on him.

The FIA dropped the no moving under braking rule before the start of the 2017 season because they wanted to give drivers more freedom to battle.

You can move in the braking zone as long as you’re not driving erratically or making moves that are excessive, which Max’s move yesterday wasn’t.

He squeezed Norris to the side, which while aggressive, is pretty common and to be expected. Frankly it’s not that different than Norris squeezing Max into the grass at the start of the Spanish Grand Prix last weekend.

The issue is Max simply misjudged it and they collided, so the stewards gave him a penalty for it. But this was just a case of two guys racing very aggressively and neither wanting to give an inch.

Again, I just don’t see anything that could be called childish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stan the caddy
It seems you're correct. I was mistaken about that rule.

Which begs the question; why did the penalize Max 10 seconds?

So difficult to pass because the chasses are so long & wide that there's no reasonable radius room on turns. Ridiculous. Can't wait till they spec them another 3' long & foot wider.

Saw something the other day that F1 cars are like a $135M to build whereas Indy's are like $7M.

Last edited:
It seems you're correct. I was mistaken about that rule.

Which begs the question; why did the penalize Max 10 seconds?
While he may be allowed to move a bit, Max still caused the collision. Norris was also far enough alongside that he was entitled to a car’s width of space. Verstapppen crowded Norris a bit too much and was therefore more at fault.

I don’t have any issue with the penalty; Max was more at fault for the collision so he deserved it. I was more reacting to how the incident overall was being characterized. It looked like good hard racing to me, and sometimes drivers misjudge things and cause collisions when they’re racing that hard.

In my opinion, I didn't see anything that egregious but that’s just me. I thoroughly enjoyed the battle and hope this continues over the rest of the season.

One thing is for sure, if you're an F1 fan: The British GP is now appointment television. LOL
You got that right. I can’t wait for the race.

Hopefully Norris can continue to take the fight to Verstappen for the rest of the season. I’d be happy if Norris and McLaren could come back and win the title this year. I wouldn’t say that I’m a huge fan of any specific team, but I do like to see McLaren do well. If someone mentions Formula 1, the first image that pops into my mind is always of Ayrton Senna in a McLaren with Marlboro livery. Always really liked Mika Häkkinen too.

However, one thing I’m not looking forward to is the media coverage of this. The British pundits can be so partisan that it gets tiresome at times. I think Martin Brundle does a really good job calling things impartially, but some of the other pundits try my patience at times during the pre- and post-race coverage. My personal opinion is that the media reaction to this weekend’s collision was overblown simply because of the drivers involved. Hopefully they prove me wrong though and do a better job of calling things down the middle than they have in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT