ADVERTISEMENT

Former UK coach Strickland now managing straight to NBA program

This is going to be so bad for college basketball and so good for everyone else involved.

They had the chance to adjust, adapt, and evolve, and instead their buried their heads in the sand, planted their feet, and blew themselves up.

This is going to be so bad for college basketball and so good for everyone else involved.

They had the chance to adjust, adapt, and evolve, and instead their buried their heads in the sand, planted their feet, and blew themselves up.
NCAA admins are so concerned about making sure all of the money made in college basketball stays in their own pockets, that they are going to kill their product.

Hopefully Strickland will be able to tell Cal which of our future recruits are 100% vs using UK to further their brand and end up going to g league

Hopefully Strickland will be able to tell Cal which of our future recruits are 100% vs using UK to further their brand and end up going to g league
I can tell you who won't have any idea what these prospects are thinking..... our current group of assistants. They seem to have zero feel for what a prospect will do.

Dude, Illinois hasn't been relevant since Ephram Winters played there. And Antigua isn't recruiting for Cal. Penny, and Cal are their own brand. Antigua at UK would be lights out. He was before.

If this kills college basketball it will just reform without the NCAA and pay players to compete. There is way too much money to be lost to become a sport on par with the other non-football college sports.

Antigua. He is killing it at Illinois. Got 2 4 stars and 3 3 stars this season. Wish we could get that
Ah yeah not like he has a proven track record to be a top recruiter at UK and players cite him as the reason they came. He sucks. We should give barbee and justice a raise.

Reactions: RonEJones
Ah yeah not like he has a proven track record to be a top recruiter at UK and players cite him as the reason they came. He sucks. We should give barbee and justice a raise.

You’ll have to take it easy on JC. He thinks Stoops is Saban Lite so the homerism is strong with this one.

Cal got elite talent to UMass and Memphis, Penny is getting elite talent to Memphis it can be done
Is this real life right now? You think a former HS coach that got his former HS player is going to recruit on a John Calipari level? God you're dumb

Cal got elite talent to UMass and Memphis, Penny is getting elite talent to Memphis it can be done

In 8 years at UMass Cal signed 1 Micky D player (Dontae Bright) and IIRC he signed 3 in 9 years at Memphis.

Hardly elite talent.

Reactions: jace2012
Antigua. He is killing it at Illinois. Got 2 4 stars and 3 3 stars this season. Wish we could get that

It’s illinois. .. do you think Justus helps land maxey at Illinois? No.

But I would like to get a former nba guy like Reggie Miller ... someone known for shooting the ball so at least they can also help develop our guys shooting...

In 8 years at UMass Cal signed 1 Micky D player (Dontae Bright) and IIRC he signed 3 in 9 years at Memphis.

Hardly elite talent.
Wall and Cousins were going to Memphis. In 9 years I would be shocked if Antigua signs 1 elite at Illinois

You’ll have to take it easy on JC. He thinks Stoops is Saban Lite so the homerism is strong with this one.
Actually I am debating against a former UK Coach. You have an argument to convince me that Stoops hasn't improved the program since he got here throw it at me. We are 1 game left on schedule most likely a W and we are ranked in the top 20. Who was Otherwise agree with me and stay in your lanelast coach to do that? Yeah that's what I thought. Some of you guys don't understand football and that's ok

Actually I am debating against a former UK Coach. You have an argument to convince me that Stoops hasn't improved the program since he got here throw it at me. We are 1 game left on schedule most likely a W and we are ranked in the top 20. Who was Otherwise agree with me and stay in your lanelast coach to do that? Yeah that's what I thought. Some of you guys don't understand football and that's ok

Keep on, keeping on JC. No one has said Stoops hasn’t improved the team - you’re reaching.

Reactions: Chuckinden
No one said he is Saban lite...You're reaching

Could have fooled me. Maybe dial back the criticism of those pointing out the O is hot garbage while being concerned about the future of next years team post Allen, Edwards, West, Snell and Conrad. Deal?

This ain't gonna be good for players. These dudes arent gonna expose themselves against grown men in the G League fighting to get back to the NBA.

Key word is Illinois. Not a blueblood program. Elite talent isn't going there. Wish we had him recruiting for us.
I agree. What would a coach tell an "elite" player to come to Illinois?

Antigua: "This is why you should come to Illinois"..............................."uhhhhh, I got nothing".

Could have fooled me. Maybe dial back the criticism of those pointing out the O is hot garbage while being concerned about the future of next years team post Allen, Edwards, West, Snell and Conrad. Deal?
I have on more thanm 1 occasion said that the offense needs to be fixed. I criticize the ones who want to fire Stoops/Gran. I don't criticize football talk. When you say we suck, the coaches suck and the players suck, then I beg to differ. BTW, I hope we can get that odffense fixed, the D isn't going to be as good next season, but they aren't going to be a train wreck. Wilson's 2nd year, 2 playmakers, get a lot back on Oline, t Young, good RB's and tight ends waiting their turn. I think future looks good 7-8 wins next year

I have on more thanm 1 occasion said that the offense needs to be fixed. I criticize the ones who want to fire Stoops/Gran. I don't criticize football talk. When you say we suck, the coaches suck and the players suck, then I beg to differ. BTW, I hope we can get that odffense fixed, the D isn't going to be as good next season, but they aren't going to be a train wreck. Wilson's 2nd year, 2 playmakers, get a lot back on Oline, t Young, good RB's and tight ends waiting their turn. I think future looks good 7-8 wins next year

Then I don't know why we are arguing - it looks like we are close to being on the same side. I don't want Stoops fired (nor Cal - since this is a basketball thread) just that he focus on getting the offense right. And I'm not going sugar coat it as I have doubts he'll do that; but we'll see. Maybe we should call a truce? I have enough folks to argue with - we can let each other "live and let live"?

Now back to Strickland. I don't really think it's a big deal with him and this G League. This isn't going to affect the success of the new salary one way or the other. But, like Stoops, I feel Cal is at a crossroads. He either do what needs to be done (within the rules) to start landing a few of these top 5 guys every year or he changes his persona from Mr. OneandDone to 2-3 and done. If consistently have teams full of soph/junior mid-lower tier 5 stars with an occasional hot shot mixed in, he can win at an even better clip and would have another title sooner than later.

Then I don't know why we are arguing - it looks like we are close to being on the same side. I don't want Stoops fired (nor Cal - since this is a basketball thread) just that he focus on getting the offense right. And I'm not going sugar coat it as I have doubts he'll do that; but we'll see. Maybe we should call a truce? I have enough folks to argue with - we can let each other "live and let live"?

Now back to Strickland. I don't really think it's a big deal with him and this G League. This isn't going to affect the success of the new salary one way or the other. But, like Stoops, I feel Cal is at a crossroads. He either do what needs to be done (within the rules) to start landing a few of these top 5 guys every year or he changes his persona from Mr. OneandDone to 2-3 and done. If consistently have teams full of soph/junior mid-lower tier 5 stars with an occasional hot shot mixed in, he can win at an even better clip and would have another title sooner than later.
Truce. I am discouraged by the basketball team, I thought with more veterans we would start out hotter. Hopefully we get it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT