ADVERTISEMENT

Former NBA All-Star Jeff Teague says De'Aaron Fox pushed him to retire.

I think I read somewhere where Jeff and Cal asked Marquis Teague to stay a 2nd year at UK. We could really have used him and in hindsight probably would have benefited Marquis long term.

Marquis was shaky early as a Fr but became solid as a rock late. If I remember right he drilled a 3 to start the NC game for us in that 2012 title game. Clutch.

I think I read somewhere where Jeff and Cal asked Marquis Teague to stay a 2nd year at UK. We could really have used him and in hindsight probably would have benefited Marquis long term.

Marquis was shaky early as a Fr but became solid as a rock late. If I remember right he drilled a 3 to start the NC game for us in that 2012 title game. Clutch.
He drilled a 3 at a crucial time late in the game as well, iirc

Jeff's brother Marquis Teague staying at UK for a second year might have meant no injury for Noel. If you guys remember correctly, Julius Mays was the one who threw the bad pass that led to the turnover that led to the injury. If Teague had come back, we probably don't even see a lot of Julius on the court. So you make the tournament that year, Noel is injury free, and Kentucky probably would have had enough firepower to compete for a sweet 16 or elite 8. Teague made a horrible choice in leaving after his first year.

Last edited:
Jeff's brother Marquis Teague staying at UK for a second year might have meant no injury for Noel. If you guys remember correctly, Julius Mays was the one who threw the bad past that led to the turnover that led to the injury. If Teague had come back, we probably don't even see a lot of Julius on the court. So you make the tournament that year, Noel is injury free, and Kentucky probably would have had enough firepower to compete for a sweet 16 or elite 8. Teague made a horrible choice in leaving after his first year.
Another year at UK could have pushed Teague to second round or out of the draft. I don’t know what the horrible choice was. He was a first rounder which turned out to be a massive overvaluation. I mean we’ve heard since the dawn of cal in Lexington that guys need to go when their draft stock peaks. Well Marquis staying I doubt his draft stock would have gotten any better. The way the 2013 team was it could have tanked him. I think that 2013 team was disfunctional and cal on cruise I don’t see Marquis Teague as a make or break player. From losing to robert morris in the nit to sweet sixteen teague wasn’t that guy.

Another year at UK could have pushed Teague to second round or out of the draft. I don’t know what the horrible choice was. He was a first rounder which turned out to be a massive overvaluation. I mean we’ve heard since the dawn of cal in Lexington that guys need to go when their draft stock peaks. Well Marquis staying I doubt his draft stock would have gotten any better. The way the 2013 team was it could have tanked him. I think that 2013 team was disfunctional and cal on cruise I don’t see Marquis Teague as a make or break player. From losing to robert morris in the nit to sweet sixteen teague wasn’t that guy.
Yeah but he might have been more “ready”. Staying power and all that. Who knows.

Jeff's brother Marquis Teague staying at UK for a second year might have meant no injury for Noel. If you guys remember correctly, Julius Mays was the one who threw the bad past that led to the turnover that led to the injury. If Teague had come back, we probably don't even see a lot of Julius on the court. So you make the tournament that year, Noel is injury free, and Kentucky probably would have had enough firepower to compete for a sweet 16 or elite 8. Teague made a horrible choice in leaving after his first year.
The Ryan Harrow disaster and Jared Polson seeing major minutes at point ... post-title roster was dicey!

He was amazing at the end of the year. He is the most overlooked Top 5 player Cal has had at UK. Always left off every guard list and he’s the only one with a NC.

You have no way of knowing if your first sentence would have been reality. The reality is that he would have been UK's primary scorer and lead distributer. That much alone keeps him in play to be drafted by a team that needed him.

Reactions: chroix
He was amazing at the end of the year. He is the most overlooked Top 5 player Cal has had at UK. Always left off every guard list and he’s the only one with a NC.
Just to clarify, your saying MT was one of the top 5 players Cal coached at UK?

Reactions: chroix
You have no way of knowing if your first sentence would have been reality. The reality is that he would have been UK's primary scorer and lead distributer. That much alone keeps him in play to be drafted by a team that needed him.
We have no idea any of it. Lol it’s all speculation. I will say teague didn’t pan out so not being on a team with a future nba hall of famer probably wouldn’t have helped him. Not having a dead eye threat in the back court to go along with him. Idk if that 2013 would have exposed him or elevated him. We ll never know

Yeah, I completely agree about Marquis. He was very shaky and uncertain during the regular season, but when the lights came on for the Big Dance he was like a different player. He shot a tremendous percentage from 3 in that tournament and was one of our key players down the stretch. Having said all this, I think he would have greatly benefited from another season in hindsight. I get why he wanted to strike while the iron was hot, but another year would have helped him. Not having it likely shortened his NBA career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT