ADVERTISEMENT

For Those Of You Thinking We Won't/Can't Slip to NIT

W_Heisenberg

Sophomore
Aug 2, 2013
Let me remind you in 2012-2013, we finished 2nd in the SEC and still didn't make tournament...I see a similar end of season record and worse finish in the conference...

Let me remind you in 2012-2013, we finished 2nd in the SEC and still didn't make tournament...I see a similar end of season record and worse finish in the conference...

The difference is the SEC was terrible in 2013.

This year the SEC is incredibly deep and talented. Best the league has ever been.

That will help us immensely.

Having said that, if we don't start winning some games it won't matter how good the league is, we won't make it. We need more than 17 wins to get in the tourney.

Oh this team could be NIT bound, no question about that. We are like a runaway train headed down the wrong track. The next two weeks will define our destiny unless we luck out and win the SEC Tournament. That would be a mountain to climb based on the team's performance to date.

Can you imagine if we miss the tournament and several of these guys still test draft waters? oh my...

The frustrating part is that our defense continues to improve, but the offense has been atrocious. Many wide open shots last night that just didn't fall.

Reactions: brianpoe
Can you imagine if we miss the tournament and several of these guys still test draft waters? oh my...

They cant test all they want. Missing the tournament would mean 3 to 4 more losses and losing the SECT.. we only lose those games if guys like Diallo, Knox and company continue to make mistakes and have weak mentalities.

Their stocks both dropped last night.. And for UK to miss the tournament entirely means their stocks will drop even more.

It's all in the hands of Diallo and Knox. Play well and win games, and you'll get drafted. Want to not listen to coach and play for yourself, then you're coming back or you can transfer. It's all up to them. But If Kentucky loses 11 games we lose 2 guys, MAX. And they won't be lottery picks.

You cannot compare the SEC from that year to the SEC from this year.
It's an entirely different beast.

It's not impossible we aren't in the NIT. But it's still unlikely

This year the SEC is incredibly deep and talented. Best the league has ever been.

Having said that, if we don't start winning some games it won't matter how good the league is, we won't make it. We need more than 17 wins to get in the tourney.

It will only help us if we beat those teams...right now we don't have many quality wins unfortunately and we aren't getting better. Cal has tried nearly everything and these guys just don't look like a team at all.

The frustrating part is that our defense continues to improve, but the offense has been atrocious. Many wide open shots last night that just didn't fall.

Was thinking the same last night during the game. Quade looks a million miles ahead defensively from where he started. We just struggle(d) to score.

We'd likely need to go 2-5 over our last 7, or maybe 3-4 with a first round SEC tournament loss, to go to the NIT.
I don't think the selection committee even counts SEC tournament games since winning it has not helped our seeding in the past. The only thing that matters there is winning it and getting an automatic bid.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
It will only help us if we beat those teams...right now we don't have many quality wins unfortunately and we aren't getting better. Cal has tried nearly everything and these guys just don't look like a team at all.

Right now we only have two wins in Group 1. At WVU and home to A&M.

That being said.......that's two more than a bunch of bubble teams at the moment.

goes to show, there's always a dark cloud to be found if you're determined enough to find it......

We'd likely need to go 2-5 over our last 7, or maybe 3-4 with a first round SEC tournament loss, to go to the NIT.
Sad thing is that’s very likely to happen though. I can’t see this team winning more than 1 road game if that. They could also very easily split the home games. And at this point a first round loss in the SEC is all but certain.

In 12-13, the SEC SUCKED. Now the undisputedly one of the top 3 leagues.
AND, in 12-13 our record wasn't considered in it's entirety because many of those SEC wins came prior to Noel's season ending injury.

Apples to Oranges.

Reactions: lady wildcat
This is NOT the best the SEC has EVER been, that is silly. However, it IS miles ahead of 12-13, which could be a saving grace IF these guys can figure out a way to get 5-6 more wins, which at this juncture seems to be a longshot. IMO

Reactions: morgousky
Man that's scary. 2-5 over our next 7 is a real possibility.

Not just a possibility, I think it's likely.

@A&M - loss
@Auburn - loss
Alabama - hopefully a win
@Ark - loss
Missouri - rumors are Porter will be returning soon. If so, loss
Ole Miss - win
@ Florida - loss

at this point I think even going 3-4 would be an accomplishment.

Reactions: CincyUKFan

Good post. I think 21 wins gets us in. That includes the SEC tournament

Reactions: crpoore
We finished 4th in the SEC. How many other SEC teams were ranked so highly in 12-13? What was our RPI that year? Our best win? Ole Miss #16 and #11 UF in our last game of the regular season. Meanwhile we lost to Baylor, Duke, UL, UT beat us by 30 points! We lost 3 of our last 4 and to Vandy in the SECT by 16 points and the SEC sucked except for Florida.

I keep telling people this team is NIT bound, but they keep thinking I’m a troll. I’ve been watching college basketball for 21 years now and this team just isn’t going to make it. At best they will finish 3-4 which likely would see them go to the NIT. They can’t shoot, and Calipari can’t coach. Seasons is over

I keep telling people this team is NIT bound, but they keep thinking I’m a troll. I’ve been watching college basketball for 21 years now and this team just isn’t going to make it. At best they will finish 3-4 which likely would see them go to the NIT. They can’t shoot, and Calipari can’t coach. Seasons is over
3-4 gets us in.

2-5 gets a little dicey.

Reactions: crpoore and jrc333

How strongly do the players want to make the tournament? My heart is hopeful we see a sense of desperation and urgency over these next few weeks. My head worries they've packed it in and are just going through the motions.

In 12-13, the SEC SUCKED. Now the undisputedly one of the top 3 leagues.
AND, in 12-13 our record wasn't considered in it's entirety because many of those SEC wins came prior to Noel's season ending injury.

Apples to Oranges.

Problem is we haven't won against any of the non-suck SEC teams..

Who in the world are you?

You bitch and complain in every post.

Jesus Christ, lighten up. What would you do if we had a program like Iowa, Nebraska, or Memphis?
Would you kill yourself?

Everyone on here knows I’m far from a delusional sunshine pumper, but my God you need to get some drinks, get laid, or at least pretend you’re happy sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT