ADVERTISEMENT

For those griping about our team . . .

I think the team may have over looked the opponent. It can happen to anyone. They probably seen that Purdue and Auburn destroyed Missouri and felt like they would do the same. Look at what happened to Oklahoma. Iowa State had a back up qb that didn't even play in the other 4 games, torched them for over 300 yards passing on their home field. Iowa State beat Oklahoma on their field after losing 17-7 against Texas last week. How many times in the past have we had below average teams play good football teams close? Stoops first year we went 2-10 and only lost by one touchdown to a south Carolina team that won 11 ball games and finished as the number 4 team in the country. We played them on their field and they barely beat us. We have a good football team and good coaches. We had a bad night last night but it's easier to learn a lesson from a win then a loss.

I think those long passes completed by Mizzou were a combination of zero pass rush in the 2nd half, and having an extra week to break down film and spotting holes in our zone coverage tendencies. Mizzou's O-line is built for pass protection. They are huge guys and they lined up in wide splits that puts the 5 techs further away from the QB making it harder to get pressure.

I think we have gotten good pressure on our other opponents this year with Ware and Allen and that should continue down the road.
Josh Allen has been our best pass rusher. Denzil Ware is a strong run defender who occasionally gets pressure on the quarterback. But when Allen can be neutralized, we don't really have a pass rush against a team with a solid offensive line. An effective pass rush is 1 of the last areas separating UK from the top SEC teams. If we develop a better pass rush, we can beat anyone on our schedule including Georgia. If we don't, this could still be a 7-5 or 6-6 season. It's that important. We have been hurt in this respect by Jordan Jones' injury. Also, Coach House has not used the safety blitz as much as we used it before (which isn't necessarily bad). I am hoping development of Carter and Paschal will help our pass rush.

Reactions: jauk11
Josh Allen has been our best pass rusher. Denzil Ware is a strong run defender who occasionally gets pressure on the quarterback. But when Allen can be neutralized, we don't really have a pass rush against a team with a solid offensive line. An effective pass rush is 1 of the last areas separating UK from the top SEC teams. If we develop a better pass rush, we can beat anyone on our schedule including Georgia. If we don't, this could still be a 7-5 or 6-6 season. It's that important. We have been hurt in this respect by Jordan Jones' injury. Also, Coach House has not used the safety blitz as much as we used it before (which isn't necessarily bad). I am hoping development of Carter and Paschal will help our pass rush.
Jordan Jones changes the complexion of the defense when he is on the field. We have missed that.

Jordan Jones changes the complexion of the defense when he is on the field. We have missed that.
I agree. Jordan Jones is a great player. We have missed JJ in our blitz packages. I give a lot of credit to Eli Brown for his excellent play in our run defense, but JJ causes disruption with his quickness and aggression that makes a difference. Injuries happen in football, and every team must deal with them. It's a good thing we have Eli and Boogie.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
Not sure if I understand "Tennessee beat a team that soundly beat us the game before". Are you talking about a game from last year? We've only lost one game this year, and only by a point, and Tennessee didn't beat that team.

Yes. I know it's a carry over and a different year. However, they still beat a pretty quality team. My point with them is that they always seem to get it together and despite being unimpressive for most the year they always play us well.

See if you can say "we won", instead of "we almost lost".

It's not bashing! It's CALLING IT LIKE IT IS! If the upcoming teams are the fire then Missouri is the dumpster. I love watching UK football but they better get better quick because all the games coming up are a big L if they don't get sh!t fixed and fixed now.

Yah I'm happy we are 5-1 but I don't want to see 5-5 the next several weeks.

The goal of football is not to be entertaining. The goal is to win.
If you're on the team yes I agree I'm watching from my living room for entertainment and going to the games for entertainment. It's my entertainment dollar and time. If I get more enjoyment out of something else then that's where I put my money and time. I keep hoping though as a fan.

Who would you rather be?

Missouri who is now 0-4 in the SEC?
Mississippi who is a dumpster fire with ncaa sanctions looming?
How about Arkansas - had the butts handed to them today by Muschamp - losing record and coach on hot seat. Or we even worse we could have Muschcamp as our coach. Talk about some serious bitchin then!
Mississippi State who has been out scored 17-80 in the last 2 games? - man could the "we too conservative" group could have fun with that one"
Then there's Tennessee - a dumpster fire with the moving van sitting in the Coach's driveway.
Don't forget the vaunted Vanderbilt defense that's given up 97 points in their last two disastrous games.
Then there's Florida with a dozen or so players that may be headed for the big house (and I ain't talking about the one in Ann Arbor).
Maybe LSU? they get crushed by Mississippi State, then enjoyed losing to Group of Five Troy at home in an empty stadium. Coach on hot seat

It would be nice to be Georgia or Alabama, but we're not Georgia or Alabama, however we are 5 -1, on a bye week to get healthy rested and regroup with a great chance to add several more wins, a chance for a winning SEC record for the fist time since 1977, a chance to win the East or at least a chance to wind up in a quality bowl game.

Count your blessings people ;)
Amen, brother

Good points here. We are 5-1. We are 1 holding penalty away from being 6-0. Yesterday, Eddie Gran ran 39 running plays and 37 passing plays. That's balance, which is what you want. We were 8-17 on 3rd down conversions and 2-2 on 4th down. Stoops called a gutsy fake punt that worked perfectly. We gained 486 total yards. Drake Jackson is stabilizing our offensive line, and pass protection by our tackles was much better, although I still think our offensive line can play better. We seem to have a problem with zone coverage over the top in the deep secondary by our safeties, particularly Darius West who is still catching up a little bit with the speed of the SEC game. Our special teams have improved. The refs took a TD away from us in the 1st quarter on a bogus illegal formation penalty. This was a solid offensive performance, and a problematic defensive performance against a good SEC offense. We won. There isn't a whole lot to be unhappy about. For UK fans that are still bellyaching about our coaches, let me ask you why you aren't criticizing Barry Odom's clock management.

Nice post. After seeing the lineup after the play taking the TD away was inexcusable, the official must have had a brain fart, temporarily thought we needed eight men on the line or five in the backfield, lol. That was a big four points we lost there-------that we did score. Would it have made three TDs for Snell? Great move on his long TD, although I thought he might have been out of bounds at the ten. We lost some breaks but got some too, usually the way it is, but most fans forget the ones we get and obsess over the other ones.

Their QB had too much time for the long passes, disappointed there. And of course the (non) coverage on some of the long passes was very disappointing.

Thought our WRs had a great game, several of them, and Bowden showed what all the excitement was about.

Although I lost a little money on the game (the official's goof would have changed it) I am very happy with the result, a win is a win-----all our goals are still attainable, and hopefully the off week will help. I'm not betting on us to win this week but I'm sure not betting against us either.

All these "dumpster fires" you speak of. What if we lose to all those bad teams like we almost lost last night? I understand we didn't and may not but what will you say then? Curious.

I will say that is football, and even Bama doesn't always win all their games, even with classes like this year where they had SEVEN five stars and their top 26 AVERAGED a 5.950 on Rivals Richter scale. They didn't even win by forty this weekend, I bet a lot of their fans are griping.

It's not bashing! It's CALLING IT LIKE IT IS! If the upcoming teams are the fire then Missouri is the dumpster. I love watching UK football but they better get better quick because all the games coming up are a big L if they don't get sh!t fixed and fixed now.

Yah I'm happy we are 5-1 but I don't want to see 5-5 the next several weeks.

I do.

That would mean we are playing four post season games, the SEC playoff, two NC playoff games, and I assume an exhibition game against the NFL champions.

But I don't see how we get in the playoffs with at least three more regular season losses. And that is assuming two of those losses are in the NC game and the NFL exhibition, and I think we should be hyped up and win both those games, lol.

Last edited:
I don’t think you can overstate how damaging losing Jordan jones during these games have been.

I agree.

And all the silence there is very disturbing, I wouldn't be that surprised to find out that Sandy is behind him not playing when it is all over. You can't go week to week for six weeks.

I still don't believe for a minute that Joker was dumb enough to suggest keeping Hartline out of the bowl game.

I agree.

And all the silence there is very disturbing, I wouldn't be that surprised to find out that Sandy is behind him not playing when it is all over. You can't go week to week for six weeks.

I still don't believe for a minute that Joker was dumb enough to suggest keeping Hartline out of the bowl game.
I said last week that Stoop’s demeanor when he snapped a quick answer about Jones not being available lead to me to believe it’s more than about an injury. I hope I’m wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT