ADVERTISEMENT

For those griping about our team . . .

Actually an argument could be made that UK could be 4-2 or 3-3 at this juncture. The ref helped out with time management at the end of last night’s game. Southern Miss had opportunities due to conservative play calling on offense by UK. But the flip side to that is UK could really be 6-0 heading to the bye week to get healthy. Balancing everything out, UK is probably where it deserves to be at 5-1. It caught some breaks in some games but also had a couple of brain farts in the Florida game. You could also argue inspite of the uncovered receivers in the Florida game UK should have won the game with a chip shot fg that was denied on a holding call that would never be called against teams like Bama.

Sorry, there is only room for one perspective here. You must cease and desist. (This is sarcasm)

Reactions: irishcat1965
We still play Miss. State and Tennessee... not sure I'd be calling them dumpster fires until we prove we can take advantage of that. Tennessee beat a team that soundly beat us the game before. They struggled and lost to Florida on the road in a similar fashion to how we lost at home. They didn't look good against weaker opponents but they won. If tradition tells us anything they'll be much better when we play or at least will play us much better.
Tennessee is done. The coach all but publicly stated that his players weren't really trying. Watch his interview after the UMass game. The first game of the year, which they were damn lucky to win, will be their high water mark. It's still Tennessee though and Commonwealth Stadium should be sold out and rocking for that game. If we can't beat that team under those circumstances we're not as far along as we think we are.

Who would you rather be?

Missouri who is now 0-4 in the SEC?
Mississippi who is a dumpster fire with ncaa sanctions looming?
How about Arkansas - had the butts handed to them today by Muschamp - losing record and coach on hot seat. Or we even worse we could have Muschcamp as our coach. Talk about some serious bitchin then!
Mississippi State who has been out scored 17-80 in the last 2 games? - man could the "we too conservative" group could have fun with that one"
Then there's Tennessee - a dumpster fire with the moving van sitting in the Coach's driveway.
Don't forget the vaunted Vanderbilt defense that's given up 97 points in their last two disastrous games.
Then there's Florida with a dozen or so players that may be headed for the big house (and I ain't talking about the one in Ann Arbor).
Maybe LSU? they get crushed by Mississippi State, then enjoyed losing to Group of Five Troy at home in an empty stadium. Coach on hot seat

Count your blessings people ;)
Being 5-1 & better, or in a better position, than any of those teams doesn't make as very good, good, or even decent. I expect us to be a TD dog to MSU. None of that is griping, just my views.

Reactions: Deeeefense
It's not "griping", it's discussing the good and the bad. Last night was a bad game. Thankfully we were playing against a bad team.

Can we stop with the bashing of supposed "griping"

Yes there are a few idiots who take it too far but the majority of so called "gripers" are huge Kentucky football fans who are on a DISCUSSION board to discuss the positives and negatives of our football team.

We are here to be movie critics with other fans of our team. It's possible to want to improve some aspects and discuss that without wishing we were fans of another team.

For Christs sake, you're a moderator. Start acting like it and stop being someone who likes to create division.

Moderation does not mean the guy is opinion-less. His post was not inflammatory at all.

It's not "griping", it's discussing the good and the bad. Last night was a bad game. Thankfully we were playing against a bad team.
It was a combination of a lot of factors. Injuries are killing UK, blown safety placement and coverage on the field and Missouri had fresh legs coming out a bye week. Missouri has some talent on offense.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Who would you rather be?

How about Arkansas - had the butts handed to them today by Muschamp - losing record and coach on hot seat. Or we even worse we could have Muschcamp as our coach. Talk about some serious bitchin then!
Mississippi State who has been out scored 17-80 in the last 2 games? - man could the "we too conservative" group could have fun with that one"
Then there's Tennessee - a dumpster fire with the moving van sitting in the Coach's driveway.
Don't forget the vaunted Vanderbilt defense that's given up 97 points in their last two disastrous games.
Then there's Florida with a dozen or so players that may be headed for the big house (and I ain't talking about the one in Ann Arbor).
Maybe LSU? they get crushed by Mississippi State, then enjoyed losing to Group of Five Troy at home in an empty stadium. Coach on hot seat

It would be nice to be Georgia or Alabama, but we're not Georgia or Alabama, however we are 5 -1, on a bye week to get healthy rested and regroup with a great chance to add several more wins, a chance for a winning SEC record for the fist time since 1977, a chance to win the East or at least a chance to wind up in a quality bowl game.

Good points here. We are 5-1. We are 1 holding penalty away from being 6-0. Yesterday, Eddie Gran ran 39 running plays and 37 passing plays. That's balance, which is what you want. We were 8-17 on 3rd down conversions and 2-2 on 4th down. Stoops called a gutsy fake punt that worked perfectly. We gained 486 total yards. Drake Jackson is stabilizing our offensive line, and pass protection by our tackles was much better, although I still think our offensive line can play better. We seem to have a problem with zone coverage over the top in the deep secondary by our safeties, particularly Darius West who is still catching up a little bit with the speed of the SEC game. Our special teams have improved. The refs took a TD away from us in the 1st quarter on a bogus illegal formation penalty. This was a solid offensive performance, and a problematic defensive performance against a good SEC offense. We won. There isn't a whole lot to be unhappy about. For UK fans that are still bellyaching about our coaches, let me ask you why you aren't criticizing Barry Odom's clock management.

If Austin made the fg against Florida, and setting at 6-0, there would be people grumbling about how we still aren't beating teams like we should.

Those will never be happy. They were griping at 3-0, and beating Florida would still allow them to say we haven't beat no one. Florida has a losing record and wasn't that good anyways. Blah blah
I don't think it's that people wouldn't be happy at 6-0, but we're all seeing mistakes and decisions that shouldn't be made. Things like losing two receivers against Florida, slowing it down and keeping So. Miss and EMU in the game, 3rd and 1 wildcat packages that keep getting stuffed, etc.

I'm not one of those that thinks Stoops needs to go. On the contrary, I do think he's the right man for the job. He's got this team playing harder than I've seen a UK team play in a long time, and he is showing improvement (loved the fake punt call which may have won us the game last night). But I think we all wonder about the missed opportunities of the last few years and the wins that have been left on the table that were there for the taking.

Reactions: jauk11 and Mike-D
Is there only room for one perspective on this board? I didn't realize that was in the rules.
There is room for many perspectives. But if a fan consistently criticizes our coaches and our team, his reasoning will be examined. If his reasoning is not factually sound but he keeps pushing it anyway, then he should be prepared to hear about it. That would be multiple perspectives. Right?

I don't think it's that people wouldn't be happy at 6-0, but we're all seeing mistakes and decisions that shouldn't be made. Things like losing two receivers against Florida, slowing it down and keeping So. Miss and EMU in the game, 3rd and 1 wildcat packages that keep getting stuffed, etc.

I'm not one of those that thinks Stoops needs to go. On the contrary, I do think he's the right man for the job. He's got this team playing harder than I've seen a UK team play in a long time, and he is showing improvement (loved the fake punt call which may have won us the game last night). But I think we all wonder about the missed opportunities of the last few years and the wins that have been left on the table that were there for the taking.
You are describing confirmation bias. People who are determined to criticize our coaches regardless of result will select mistakes to harp on, to the exclusion of all else. All football teams make mistakes, because ritual combat is a highly fluid situation. All football teams blow assignments. Fans who make a list of mistakes and continue to harp on them are really missing the season, and that's a shame. Some want to hijack the website for their "protest". We are 5-1. We are 1 holding penalty away from being 6-0. It's a shame if people lose sight of this because they can't balance the good and the bad rationally. I'm wondering why these people are not criticizing Barry Odom's clock management.

I'm somewhat disappointed because I think we have the talent to be more entertaining. Our trenches are just not performing. Mainly o line. It's about expectations for the year. It's been ugly wins. Spare me the 5-1 as I can see it and no I wouldn't want a worse record. I simply want more entertainment from them. Nothing more, nothing less.
The goal of football is not to be entertaining. The goal is to win.

I’m in, yes games have been frustrating nail biters all season, and they will continue to be, but we are winning them instead of losing them with the lone exception being Florida. This is the third game in a row where we’ve had a 6 point lead very late and had opponents driving for a win. I venture to guess those won’t be the last games like that. Point being, we are winning, it may not be pretty, but we are winning and competitive in EVERY game. That’s not something we could say just a couple of years ago. The corner is turning, we are the tortoise in the race against the rest of the SEC. we are taking the slow and steady approach and it’s working.

We seem to have a problem with zone coverage over the top in the deep secondary by our safeties, particularly Darius West who is still catching up a little bit with the speed of the SEC game.

Yea our safeties bit on the run and it cost them. West did the same thing on the first play against South Carolina and it cost us a TD. He's a talented player but he really needs to get coached up a little and I'm sure he will in the off week.

Reactions: Blue Decade
You are describing confirmation bias. People who are determined to criticize our coaches regardless of result will select mistakes to harp on, to the exclusion of all else. All football teams make mistakes, because ritual combat is a highly fluid situation. All football teams blow assignments. Fans who make a list of mistakes and continue to harp on them are really missing the season, and that's a shame. Some want to hijack the website for their "protest". We are 5-1. We are 1 holding penalty away from being 6-0. It's a shame if people lose sight of this because they can't balance the good and the bad rationally. I'm wondering why these people are not criticizing Barry Odom's clock management.
I'm with you in that fans shouldn't be calling for Stoops or Gran to be fired. We're finally seeing a (hopefully) sustained upswing in UK football after decades of mostly down times. We also have the luxury as couch coaches to make these decisions from our seats or recliners without having everything on our plate like the coaches do in the short time they have to make their decisions.

There are "fans" out there with an agenda towards Stoops, but I also think it's possible for rational fans to voice their concerns without being labeled bad fans or ungrateful.

Yea our safeties bit on the run and it cost them. West did the same thing on the first play against South Carolina and it cost us a TD. He's a talented player but he really needs to get coached up a little and I'm sure he will in the off week.
Agree. People are debating about multiple points of view. Balancing good and bad is what successful coaches do. Being 5-1 with an imperfect football team actually affords an opportunity for improvement, and this is the real test. At the bye week, our main strengths are our quarterback, linebackers, placekicker. Early season concerns such as our offensive line and our receivers are steadily getting better, which is what you want. Although better than last year, I am still a little concerned with our punting game. I am more concerned with a measurable erosion in effectiveness of our defense, especially our secondary. Darius West is a solid player in run support, but gets burned often in deep coverage. Our future opponents see this on film, and will take advantage. This must be addressed (which is why Davonta Robinson was moved to safety). Minus Josh Allen, we still have no pass rush. Future opponents will chip Josh or find other ways to neutralize him. We can't allow Nick Fitzgerald, Kyle Shurmur, Shea Patterson, Jake Fromm, Lamar Jackson to stand in the pocket without pressure and take 4-5 counts to pick our secondary apart. Getting more of a pass rush must be a top priority now. Progress can be made, and the bye week is the time to get it fixed.

I'm with you in that fans shouldn't be calling for Stoops or Gran to be fired. We're finally seeing a (hopefully) sustained upswing in UK football after decades of mostly down times. We also have the luxury as couch coaches to make these decisions from our seats or recliners without having everything on our plate like the coaches do in the short time they have to make their decisions.

There are "fans" out there with an agenda towards Stoops, but I also think it's possible for rational fans to voice their concerns without being labeled bad fans or ungrateful.
To clarify, it is rational to understand that ritual combat is a highly fluid situation, so all football teams make mistakes. Football teams have an opportunity to improve during a 12 game season. The rational voices see the good and bad together, and accept that successful coaches must deal with both at the same time. Everyone has a right to their views, but some perpetually negative people have raled whenever anyone questions their confirmation bias on factual grounds. I honestly think thin skins are much more of an issue here than the 1st amendment.

Minus Josh Allen, we still have no pass rush.

I think those long passes completed by Mizzou were a combination of zero pass rush in the 2nd half, and having an extra week to break down film and spotting holes in our zone coverage tendencies. Mizzou's O-line is built for pass protection. They are huge guys and they lined up in wide splits that puts the 5 techs further away from the QB making it harder to get pressure.

I think we have gotten good pressure on our other opponents this year with Ware and Allen and that should continue down the road.

We are all thankful, just not sure for what. It takes time to filter. Way to go Cats. What will the line be against the Bulldogs?

To clarify, it is rational to understand that ritual combat is a highly fluid situation, so all football teams make mistakes. Football teams have an opportunity to improve during a 12 game season. The rational voices see the good and bad together, and accept that successful coaches must deal with both at the same time. Everyone has a right to their views, but some perpetually negative people have raled whenever anyone questions their confirmation bias on factual grounds. I honestly think thin skins are much more of an issue here than the 1st amendment.
Completely agree. Love how hard this team plays and see room for improvement. Here's hoping the bye week helps get them healthy and helps clean up the correctable mistakes. All the goals from the start of the season are still out there, which is more than many teams can say.

Reactions: jauk11
Who would you rather be?

It would be nice to be Georgia or Alabama, but we're not Georgia or Alabama, however we are 5 -1, on a bye week to get healthy rested and regroup with a great chance to add several more wins, a chance for a winning SEC record for the fist time since 1977, a chance to win the East or at least a chance to wind up in a quality bowl game.

Amen. Let’s take wins over style points.....

Reactions: Deeeefense
If we hadn't choked against Florida AGAIN we'd be 6-0 and you wouldn't see ANY dissenting opinions. Many people think we're lucky to be 5-1 and still see some of the same Kentucky Football tendencies and patterns. Of course it's great to be 5-1 and of course it's better than being 1-5 or whatever. But giving us the false choice of either being 5-1 or 1-5 is disingenuous because it's an attempt to shame people into groupthink. Pretty harsh for a mod.
Pretty neat to see someone try and rationalize being miserable

Reactions: jauk11
Good points here. We are 5-1. We are 1 holding penalty away from being 6-0. Yesterday, Eddie Gran ran 39 running plays and 37 passing plays. That's balance, which is what you want. We were 8-17 on 3rd down conversions and 2-2 on 4th down. Stoops called a gutsy fake punt that worked perfectly. We gained 486 total yards. Drake Jackson is stabilizing our offensive line, and pass protection by our tackles was much better, although I still think our offensive line can play better. We seem to have a problem with zone coverage over the top in the deep secondary by our safeties, particularly Darius West who is still catching up a little bit with the speed of the SEC game. Our special teams have improved. The refs took a TD away from us in the 1st quarter on a bogus illegal formation penalty. This was a solid offensive performance, and a problematic defensive performance against a good SEC offense. We won. There isn't a whole lot to be unhappy about. For UK fans that are still bellyaching about our coaches, let me ask you why you aren't criticizing Barry Odom's clock management.

^^^Good!^^^

Being 5-1 & better, or in a better position, than any of those teams doesn't make as very good, good, or even decent. I expect us to be a TD dog to MSU. None of that is griping, just my views.
That's fine, but what if this team was 2-3 instead of 5-1? Would you be jumping off a bridge?

This team has flaws, but we are 5-1 and have as good of a shot to be 9-1 (going into UGA game) as I've ever seen UK football have......while I would prefer that we put teams away and win by 3 TDs every game, I also prefer just winning.

So far, that's what this team does. They win.

Last edited:
People griping on this forum? Never. 5-1. That's all that matters.

All these "dumpster fires" you speak of. What if we lose to all those bad teams like we almost lost last night? I understand we didn't and may not but what will you say then? Curious.

That's fine, but what if this team was 2-3 instead of 5-1? Would you be jumping off a bridge?

This team has flaws, but we are 5-1 and have as good of a shot to be 9-1 (going into UGA game) as I've ever seen UK football have......while I would prefer that we put teams away and win by 3 TDs every game, I also prefer just winning.

So far, that's what this team does. They win.
Being 2-3 after 6 games probably would make me jump since that's totally irrational. But since I've had season tickets since '78, 2-4 would hardly make me jump. How about you?

Being 2-3 after 6 games probably would make me jump since that's totally irrational. But since I've had season tickets since '78, 2-4 would hardly make me jump. How about you?
You really got me there. (I obviously meant 2-4). Glad to know that you'd be just as unhappy with 2-4 as you are 5-1 though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT