ADVERTISEMENT

Football Scoop: Kentucky A.D. Mitch Barnhart says the Wildcats like the current 8-game model, not a proposed 9-game slate

s-ram

Senior
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, Kentucky
I agree 1000%

Mark Stoops wants it to stay at Eight.

Kentucky A.D. Mitch Barnhart says "rosters flipping so rapidly" is a factor in SEC's future football scheduling formats with OU, Texas​

Barnhart admits the Wildcats like the current 8-game model, not a proposed 9-game slate

University of Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart, one of college athletics most respected statesmen and currently the longest-tenured A.D. in the rugged Southeastern Conference, provided some insight during this week’s Big Blue Nation radio show as to SEC discussions on future football scheduling models once both Oklahoma and Texas join the league.

Barnhart also candidly said the Wildcats’ current non-conference scheduling model has allowed the Wildcats’ roster to stay healthier for the SEC slate.

“The football is one that continues to be fascinating,” Barnhart said on the show Monday night. “Eight or nine? Eight has worked really well for Kentucky, not going to lie to you. It has worked incredibly well for us and I would speak to us and for us only................... https://footballscoop.com/news/kent...ure-football-scheduling-formats-with-ou-texas

With that backdrop, Barnhart doesn’t buy into the notion that a nine-game schedule with constantly rotating opponents is better for players; he points simply to modern college football and specifically the almighty NCAA Transfer Portal.

“There’s a couple of A.D.s in our league who have said, ‘Hey, it’s really important for these kids to be able to see every place (in the SEC),’” Barnhart said. “Well, they’re not staying long enough to do that. I mean they’re either going pro or transferring and moving out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News