ADVERTISEMENT

Momentum flowing against 9 game SEC scheduling

JHB4UK

All-American
May 29, 2001

Veeeeeery interesting. Of course UK with S Carolina, Ark, Miss St in opposition to 9 game slate is expected and understandable. Vandy, you r just stupid. Now Bama and Saban voicing issues, as well as Georgia.

Key statement:
"The SEC has not yet shared with membership how much money ESPN will pay for additional conference games, sources tell 247Sports. ESPN is on the hook to pay nearly $1 billion starting next year as part of its deal updated in 2020. It's not yet known if ESPN has provided a final number to the SEC for the proposed additional inventory as the media conglomerate continues to face an avalanche of layoffs and cutbacks this year."

pretty stupid to just give ESPN an extra conference game for each school without substantial raise in payout.

Last edited:
9 game conference schedule is about as dumb an idea as anyone can come up with. 8 games is a meat grinder in this league. Hell play a 12 game conference schedule and be done with it. Call it NFL light, have a 4 team conference playoff and tell the rest of college football to go to hell.

9 game conference schedule is about as dumb an idea as anyone can come up with. 8 games is a meat grinder in this league. Hell play a 12 game conference schedule and be done with it. Call it NFL light, have a 4 team conference playoff and tell the rest of college football to go to hell.
Honestly, this'll probably be the case when the SEC eats Oregon and USC, becomes a 24 team league, and still calls itself the Southeastern Conference.

I say reduce it to six or seven. And Big Dick ESPN/Disney into paying out the television rights money as previously agreed. Smartest and safest thing for the conference to do for its members.

Reactions: bradbounds
Saban has for years wanted more conference games, 9 or 10. But now....when the rubber hits the road, and he found out his 3 yearly permanent opponents were LSU, Auburn, and a rebirthed Knoxville....suddenly staying at 8 games sounds good.

That is exactly what changed his mind. If UT was still sucking and he had Vandy and AU as his 3 permanent opponents he would be all in on 9. I personally like 9 games, but I knew the challenge would be getting an agreement on who everyone had for their 3, and that is where we are. I think it ends up hurting us down the road only playing 8 conference games.

Nine games makes much more sense. People that want 8 are either willing to lose great SEC rivalries or are content waiting years between playing conference opponents. With nine games you preserve the rivalry and get to play everyone at least every other year.

Hopefully Saban is just threatening this as leverage to get an easier three permanent opponents. He’s revealed in the past he actually wants 9 games not 8.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Nine games makes much more sense. People that want 8 are either willing to lose great SEC rivalries or are content waiting years between playing conference opponents. With nine games you preserve the rivalry and get to play everyone at least every other year.

Hopefully Saban is just threatening this as leverage to get an easier three permanent opponents. He’s revealed in the past he actually wants 9 games not 8.
I think it’s the opposite. If we go to 9 the out of conference rivalry will die. I like OOC rivals. If we move to 9 we drop UL. USC drops Clemson. Florida drops Fl. st and so on. We have enough inter conference rivals. I prefer to keep one OOC rival.

9 game sched creates unnecessary imbalance. If it does happen, i guarantee yearly the 2 'best' records that go to the SEC champ game will have 5 conference home games vs 4 road. The 8 years who have 5 SEC road games will rarely make the CFB playoff either.

9 game sched creates unnecessary imbalance. If it does happen, i guarantee yearly the 2 'best' records that go to the SEC champ game will have 5 conference home games vs 4 road. The 8 years who have 5 SEC road games will rarely make the CFB playoff either.
I completely agree with you on the imbalance. Though if the SEC wants they could make 1 marquee in conference rivalry game at a neutral site. UF-UGA, Tex-Ok, Ark-A&M already have one. Not sure how it could work for the rest of the teams but it would be cool to play UT in Nashville each year.

Two SEC Leagues (SEC East, SEC West)

No more than 12 games + SEC Championship game (this is not the NFL)

9 Teams each League

Each team plays everyone each year in their own League (= 8 games)

Each Team plays 3 other teams from the other division (up to 11 games now); i.e. rotating every 3 years
-- Start off with one of the Top Tier, Mid Tier, and Bottom Tier teams in year one...and just go from there

Each Team gets to keep one OOC Game (rivalry that it likes)

It would definitely be a "Big Boy" conference or "meat grinder" as DocHoliday states above.

(-;

• Wow
Reactions: Ky grandpa
I think it’s the opposite. If we go to 9 the out of conference rivalry will die. I like OOC rivals. If we move to 9 we drop UL. USC drops Clemson. Florida drops Fl. st and so on. We have enough inter conference rivals. I prefer to keep one OOC rival.

Don't think that happens. SC wants to play Clemson, UGA wants to play GT. I don't know about UF and FSU, but at least 2 of those rivalries will continue with a 9 game conference schedule. UF and UGA have been playing 10 game P5 schedules with 2 ooc P5 games.

Two SEC Leagues (SEC East, SEC West)

No more than 12 games + SEC Championship game (this is not the NFL)

9 Teams each League

Each team plays everyone each year in their own League (= 8 games)

Each Team plays 3 other teams from the other division (up to 11 games now); i.e. rotating every 3 years
-- Start off with one of the Top Tier, Mid Tier, and Bottom Tier teams in year one...and just go from there

Each Team gets to keep one OOC Game (rivalry that it likes)

It would definitely be a "Big Boy" conference or "meat grinder" as DocHoliday states above.

(-;

I like it, how soon can we start?

Reactions: delk4three
With 9 conference games, OOC rivalries don’t have to die. It’s a choice. With an 8 game conference schedule, you have to get rid of UT/Bama, UGA/Auburn, A&M/Texas, FL/LSU, FL/UT and others.

With 9 conference games, OOC rivalries don’t have to die. It’s a choice. With an 8 game conference schedule, you have to get rid of UT/Bama, UGA/Auburn, A&M/Texas, FL/LSU, FL/UT and others.
Money is the end all be all. No one will keep a home and away series when they could drop it for an always home bunny. We make more money when we play at home. Everyone does. An extra conference game will be home and away. That will take the place of the home/away UL game. That puts UL off the schedule. The three OOC games that are always at home would remain on the schedule. It’s economics.
Also I could care less about watching 2 other SEC teams as rivals. The iron bowl means nothing to me. I’m a Kentucky fan. I would rather watch the Governors Cup.

This.

Saban comes off like a whiny biatch. Dude is gonna retire soon anyways and they already play lsu, auburn and tn every year.

I guess when it goes to 8 it's one set rival and 7 on, u off every other season. So bama gets auburn and could still play lsu and tn n same season and then the next one play Georgia and Oklahoma and Texas. Grow a pair nick.

How?

Nine conference games would so disincentivize games like Georgia’s against Oregon to open last season, that they would disappear, entirely.

That was suppose to a close game. Their coach knew our personell, tendencies and we were rebuilding. This is how, when it come to deciding who the wildcard teams are because there will be multiple teams with 2-3 losses wanting in strength of schedule will undoubtedly be a variable. 10-2 against 10 P5 teams will look better than 10-2 against 8 P5 teams.

I completely agree with you on the imbalance. Though if the SEC wants they could make 1 marquee in conference rivalry game at a neutral site. UF-UGA, Tex-Ok, Ark-A&M already have one. Not sure how it could work for the rest of the teams but it would be cool to play UT in Nashville each year.

UF and UGA in Jax is about to become a thing of the past, imo. Going to miss a couple of years soon because of renovations, UGA hasn't signed contract to continue. It's a home game for UF, both schools can have recruits there, only one gets them on campus after the game. We only have 6 home games some years when we are the supposed home team in Jax.

Money is the end all be all. No one will keep a home and away series when they could drop it for an always home bunny. We make more money when we play at home. Everyone does. An extra conference game will be home and away. That will take the place of the home/away UL game. That puts UL off the schedule. The three OOC games that are always at home would remain on the schedule. It’s economics.
Also I could care less about watching 2 other SEC teams as rivals. The iron bowl means nothing to me. I’m a Kentucky fan. I would rather watch the Governors Cup.
Not necessarily true on the more money for home games. Are you a season ticket holder - if so - check the prices of each game! Some games, SEC opponents and UL game tickets cost twice as much as the Easy 3 games. So, one SEC game generates as much or more money than two of the other games - plus SEC games usually sell out - other games attendance is 10% or more less.

Go Big Blue!

I think it's insane to increase the number of conference games. If the SEC sticks with 8 and the 1+7 format, then you can still play your OOC rivals (FSU, LOU, GT, Clem) and the teams can still schedule at least 1 P5 OOC team. I'm sorry, but the SEC has proven that it's much easier to play (and beat) OOC P5 teams than it is to win an extra conference game (and now the conference is that much tougher with Texas and OU).

an extra conference game means 8 extra losses for the league.

The SEC always gets the benefit of the doubt. With an 8 game schedule and playing 1 OOC P5 team, the SEC will get the most invitations to the playoff. Voters (and committee members) don't like losses. They're not going to put more SEC teams in the playoffs when said teams are 9-3 (as opposed to 10-2).

I think it's insane to increase the number of conference games. If the SEC sticks with 8 and the 1+7 format, then you can still play your OOC rivals (FSU, LOU, GT, Clem) and the teams can still schedule at least 1 P5 OOC team. I'm sorry, but the SEC has proven that it's much easier to play (and beat) OOC P5 teams than it is to win an extra conference game (and now the conference is that much tougher with Texas and OU).

an extra conference game means 8 extra losses for the league.

The SEC always gets the benefit of the doubt. With an 8 game schedule and playing 1 OOC P5 team, the SEC will get the most invitations to the playoff. Voters (and committee members) don't like losses. They're not going to put more SEC teams in the playoffs when said teams are 9-3 (as opposed to 10-2).

I am as big a SEC homer as they get, but playing in the SEC isn't the meat grinding schedule folks want to claim. 3 teams in the East will struggle getting to a bowl, possibly 4. Same for the west. When almost half the conference w. ill be struggling to get bowl eligible it isn't a meat grinder of a schedule. Now the SEC is very top heavy good with 5-6 teams that are very good, but the rest would have trouble with decent group of 5 teams. If teams all got the same money for conference games, but mony from OOC games was based the OOC team, would you still want 3-4 directional schools on the schedule that cost you 20m a year?

If I'm the SEC, there's no way I'm adding Texas and OK, plus a ninth conference game without getting a huge increase in the television rights. According to reports, the ESPN contract has a clause that any additional teams added will cause the payout to increase by the prorated avg already in place, so you add two top 10 national draws and you get a payout equivalent to adding a Missouri or an Arkansas. It's bad business. You wouldn't work 25% more hours for a 10% increase in pay.

Not necessarily true on the more money for home games. Are you a season ticket holder - if so - check the prices of each game! Some games, SEC opponents and UL game tickets cost twice as much as the Easy 3 games. So, one SEC game generates as much or more money than two of the other games - plus SEC games usually sell out - other games attendance is 10% or more less.

Go Big Blue!
I don't believe you are understanding the point. UK gets ZERO from a road game other than their share of the SEC rights deal. An OOC home game they keep all the revenue, so please help me understand how keeping zero from an SEC road game beats any size profit from a home game?

I don't believe you are understanding the point. UK gets ZERO from a road game other than their share of the SEC rights deal. An OOC home game they keep all the revenue, so please help me understand how keeping zero from an SEC road game beats any size profit from a home game?

Right now everyone in the SEC is doing better than ok with the financial deal, with all the new building taking place everywhere it's hard to argue otherwise. Playing that extra SEC game is more about getting noticed by the selection committee, not some revenue. Big10 playing 9 conference game another P5 and a couple of groups of 5 and a 10-2 record is a better resume than 10-2 with 8 conference games and 4 directional schools. If making money is the goal, get those 8 home game and dont complain about being a 2 loss team not in the playoffs, because that isnt the main objective., if making the playoffs is the goal I think a team needs to show they deserve to be there.

Don't think that happens. SC wants to play Clemson, UGA wants to play GT. I don't know about UF and FSU, but at least 2 of those rivalries will continue with a 9 game conference schedule. UF and UGA have been playing 10 game P5 schedules with 2 ooc P5 games.
Bullshit...no way the majority of USCjr fans will want to keep Clemson in a 9 game SEC schedule. And UGA has no issue playing GT at this point in time because it's a sure win. IF that was a rivalry with Ohio St and you started missing the playoffs because of it you'd have a different view.

Our coach knows first hand playing 9 games doesn't help UK compete for championships. We already have a built in disadvantage becuase of geography and number of D1 players our state produces. we don't need to give the Georgia and Florida's of the world an additional advantage

Right now everyone in the SEC is doing better than ok with the financial deal, with all the new building taking place everywhere it's hard to argue otherwise. Playing that extra SEC game is more about getting noticed by the selection committee, not some revenue. Big10 playing 9 conference game another P5 and a couple of groups of 5 and a 10-2 record is a better resume than 10-2 with 8 conference games and 4 directional schools. If making money is the goal, get those 8 home game and dont complain about being a 2 loss team not in the playoffs, because that isnt the main objective., if making the playoffs is the goal I think a team needs to show they deserve to be there.
But no one in the SEC is playing 4 directional schools so that point makes no sense.

If the SEC goes to 9 games and they keep the OOC rivalries then yes that helps the resume but if the opposite happens and they go to 9 SEC games and teams drop their OOC rival then it’s the exact same that it already is as far as resume but you might kill rivalries.

Sure you could say play the OOC rivalry as well as the 9 SEC games but why would the teams in the middle/bottom of the SEC agree to that until it actually becomes an issue. Right now it’s not an issue the SEC still gets the nod even with only 8 games. Then with the playoff moving to 12 teams it becomes even less of an issue.

So unless you can incentivize the bottom/middle teams with more money for a 9th game they have no interest to move that way.

Bullshit...no way the majority of USCjr fans will want to keep Clemson in a 9 game SEC schedule. And UGA has no issue playing GT at this point in time because it's a sure win. IF that was a rivalry with Ohio St and you started missing the playoffs because of it you'd have a different view.

Our coach knows first hand playing 9 games doesn't help UK compete for championships. We already have a built in disadvantage becuase of geography and number of D1 players our state produces. we don't need to give the Georgia and Florida's of the world an additional advantage

To be fair we aren't gonna win any championships with 8 games either most likely.

The extra cupcake ooc game boosts the won total though.

To be fair we aren't gonna win any championships with 8 games either most likely.

The extra cupcake ooc game boosts the won total though.
Good chance we don't but we were playing Georgia for the East in 2018 and that was with an awful QB so who's to say with a true NFL QB, good Defense and a couple other difference makers. We're a hell of a lot closer now then anytime since 1950.

Who would have said TCU would play for the National Championship last year or Michigan St would be in the playoffs a couple years back.

Point being we don't need to put additional obstacles in our own way. especially so just becuase the Georgia's and their lap dogs are carrying that torch for Bullshit reasons they don't think will negatively affect them

I am as big a SEC homer as they get, but playing in the SEC isn't the meat grinding schedule folks want to claim. 3 teams in the East will struggle getting to a bowl, possibly 4. Same for the west. When almost half the conference w. ill be struggling to get bowl eligible it isn't a meat grinder of a schedule. Now the SEC is very top heavy good with 5-6 teams that are very good, but the rest would have trouble with decent group of 5 teams. If teams all got the same money for conference games, but mony from OOC games was based the OOC team, would you still want 3-4 directional schools on the schedule that cost you 20m a year?
Not sure what you’re getting at here?? Everyone in the SEC can’t win. Every time a game is played someone loses. Florida was a mess in the SEC last year. They still would have beat the Sh*t out of bowl eligible Louisville. Vandy beats the crap out of bowl eligible Louisville as well. The Meat grinder aspect you speak of is talent and depth. USC came in and shocked Tennessee. Then beat Clemson. Barely bowl eligible tho. The reason they could pull that off is talent and depth. No other league has it like we do. It wasn’t long ago Kentucky did not have that. The recruiting rankings don’t lie. Georgia has had more talent and depth than most of the teams they played for 20 years. For 15 of them they just wasted it and horribly underperformed. Only difference is they have the culture and coaching now. The lower level teams in the SEC will take a much higher physical toll on your players. When we had the Big Blue Wall performing, Saban made a comment that his players told him after the UK game they were as sore and banged up as ever. We lost by 20 tho.

Who are the 3 teams in east that will struggle not get to bowl game? Candy and maybe mizzou. But usc and UK will be fine

Besides….I think bowls will easily drop below six wins to get into lower bowls

Not sure what you’re getting at here?? Everyone in the SEC can’t win. Every time a game is played someone loses. Florida was a mess in the SEC last year. They still would have beat the Sh*t out of bowl eligible Louisville. Vandy beats the crap out of bowl eligible Louisville as well. The Meat grinder aspect you speak of is talent and depth. USC came in and shocked Tennessee. Then beat Clemson. Barely bowl eligible tho. The reason they could pull that off is talent and depth. No other league has it like we do. It wasn’t long ago Kentucky did not have that. The recruiting rankings don’t lie. Georgia has had more talent and depth than most of the teams they played for 20 years. For 15 of them they just wasted it and horribly underperformed. Only difference is they have the culture and coaching now. The lower level teams in the SEC will take a much higher physical toll on your players. When we had the Big Blue Wall performing, Saban made a comment that his players told him after the UK game they were as sore and banged up as ever. We lost by 20 tho.
This^ Devin Leary and a good NC State team went 10-3 at NC State 2 years ago including a win over Clemson. But said the Miss St game was by far the most physical and the players "just looked different". MSU WASNT in the top 6 of the SEC record wise.
With the possible exception of Vandy, SEC teams beat your ass up week in and week out.
I remember that Bama quote. Allen, bamas 1st round DT that won best lineman nationally, when asked after the season who was the most physical team they played that year said UK. He said "they brought it. They knew It was now SEC ball".

Just becuase UGA finally stopped pissing away its talent and goes 3 deep with high school all Americans now doesn't change the fact the SEC is a gauntlet and 9 games does UK no favors

Don't know what you are talking about with Carolina, they wanted to go against SEC and play them the covid year. UGA has played 10 P5 teams for the last several years, it has helped getting into the 4 team playoffs, not hurt. If we had played South Alabama or some like team in 21 instead of CU in 21 we wouldn't have been in the playoffs. 23 schedule is awful, but OU was on it until SEC office told us to cancel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT