ADVERTISEMENT

Florida fans thoughts on the game.

Opening games are almost never a good barometer for evaluating teams real identity and that's with any team any season. Just silly to fall for that and that goes our folks too.

I see what you are saying but the lack of discipline with the O line play really stood out. If you are already switching players out there it does look suspect and that new Tackle replacement for the FL game was getting beat a lot against Iowa I heard. I will say your special teams looked impressive and it looks like the LBs are good again.

Pretty dang good QB also. Kid had great situational awareness and accuracy
Which is why I don't understand why everybody keeps ranting on here about a lack of a pass rush. Geez, Gabbert and Miami's offense was designed to be quick hitting much like Tennessee's is designed, I get they don't have the caliber of athlete at WR that Florida should have and Tennessee has, but Gabbert was getting it out quick, and we still got 3 sacks, a hurry, and any time they attempted a run, outside of the first drive, we stuffed it at the line or got the back in the backfield for a loss. Our front 7 is better than our fans and posters are giving them credit for, and thats only going to improve with Wright back.

i think the pressure is on Napier to have a consistent showing.
We still don’t know how a Stoops team will act on the road, but this game could set the standard for the season.

I like our chances despite the line.
We have extreme talent and extreme experience on both sides of the football and ST and we have our best coaching staff ever.

Reactions: The-Hack
Very well could be if we can't generate a run game.....50 yds rushing against UF is a recipe for Levis to be on his backside much of the game, as UF will pin their ears back and bring enormous pressure on Levis if we can't establish the run game.

That could make it ugly......not to mention the environment is going to be nasty hot/humid and LOUD
We have to be able to run "enough" whatever that number might be. If we can't, I don't see a W.

I'm counting on the fact that our OC knows how to take advantage and exploit space in the flats and and underneath to make the LB's cover. Would really like to see Drennen get involved in this offense.

Absolutely

Which is why I don't understand why everybody keeps ranting on here about a lack of a pass rush. Geez, Gabbert and Miami's offense was designed to be quick hitting much like Tennessee's is designed, I get they don't have the caliber of athlete at WR that Florida should have and Tennessee has, but Gabbert was getting it out quick, and we still got 3 sacks, a hurry, and any time they attempted a run, outside of the first drive, we stuffed it at the line or got the back in the backfield for a loss. Our front 7 is better than our fans and posters are giving them credit for, and thats only going to improve with Wright back.

It's crazy, but it's every year

We recorded 3 sacks, 4 tackles for loss and a QB hurry in the stat sheet, on a spread and quick throw offense. Thats a pretty good pass rush if you ask me.
Against a MAC team. Defense was ok but not great.

Getting Jordan Wright back will help with the pass rush hopefully.

We didn't run anything in our pass rush, which is why you didn't see it. I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think we can base our expectations on the last game at all.
I can agree with that. I'm actually more concerned about the O line and the rinning game.

Hopefully first game jitters was part of it.

Reactions: jacobbleedsblue
don't see our DBs letting freshman WRs burn them too often.
welcome to the board.
I would just say you don't often see freshmen receivers like Key and Brown. Key is a tall athletics X that catches like a vacuum cleaner and Brown is lightening-in-the-bottle Z that will bring back memories of Percy Harvin. He's already taken a KO return to the house. It will be a great match up with your secondary which may be the best in the league this year IMO.

I can understand how you feel when people come into "your house" & talk trash.

But trust me, not every Gator poster/fan has delusions of grandeur regarding our team.

Here are some thoughts from some longtime posters on the Florida Rivals site -

"...Not saying there isn’t reason for positive optimism…but the team everyone is gushing over literally could barely get lined up correctly all night on defense. Heck of a play on the int at the end, but they (Gators) got extremely lucky to claim the W in that (Utah) game…

Florida isn’t winning 9 or 10 games this reg season…they just aren’t…period…"

"...I think we win but it (Kentucky) will be a hard fought game. We need to do the basics, win the turnover battle and watch the penalties."

"...Wasn't always like that, but things have certainly changed....KY tough game for us."

EDIT
From a gator website - https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...ollow-in-the-florida-gators-game-vs-kentucky/
"...Will Florida find rushing success against UK and avoid fumbles?

The Gators racked up 283 yards on the ground against Utah, led by Richardson with 106. They have the 14th-best rushing offense in the nation right now but did put the ball on the ground twice.

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops and his defense will provide another formidable test, and perhaps an even tougher one. The Wildcats have the No. 1 rushing defense in the SEC through the first week of the season, holding Miami (Ohio) to 111 yards.

Linebacker JJ Weaver said they will have a QB spy on Richardson. “He’s not going to be able to do none of that against us.”

Jeff from Jax
UF '73

Last edited:
Girthang,

Change in perception due to UK being smart enough to keep Mark Stoops around long enough to change the internal culture of your football team.

Thank you, Captain obvious.

Yes. Absolutely. Except that it wasn't ever their plan not to keep him around. There were a lot of vocal fans that didn't understand football well enough, and wanted him fired early in his time as HC. The admin for once (2x really- Brooks) didn't listen to the BS and hyperbole of the fanbase who wanted a "home run" hire and a big name, or a prolific offense without caring much about the defense.

Many of that vocal 5% still hate the AD for proving them to be idiots when it comes to football with this hire.

When it comes to the internal culture of the team, it was important to isolate the team from the negativity of the fan base to rebuild that culture. Stoops picked up where Brooks left off in that regard, but had the advantage Brooks was promised but never received because basketball got priority. The field should be named after Brooks, not Newton. Brooks showed what was possible even without any support from the majority of fans or administration.

The external culture of UK Football still hasn't changed. The fan base is still over reactionary and negative first, but they are also the most angry if UK loses a game where they weren't expected to win. It's gonna take a while for that to change. Maybe it won't until the fans born in the late 60s and 70s move on.

Reactions: The-Hack
Utah was projected as the 7th ranked team in the country. Looking to go to their 3rd PAC 12 title. Game in 4 years.

MAC - PAC whatever.

For the better part of 20 years there's only been one good team come out of the PAC each year, and nowhere close to the top 2-4 in the SEC. They're schedules are week so they tend to stay healthier heading into the late season and post-season, so they win more games than they would if they were in a tougher conference.

Maybe NIL will change that.

And we beat the tar out of em.

Without our best RB, and without really running our playbook. Basically just lined up and ran some basic plays. Hurt ourselves more than Miami hurt us. We left over 15 points on that field that were ours for the taking. That was the reason we only won by 24.

Without our best RB, and without really running our playbook. Basically just lined up and ran some basic plays. Hurt ourselves more than Miami hurt us. We left over 15 points on that field that were ours for the taking. That was the reason we only won by 24.
Kentucky should be able to move the ball in Florida

Reactions: Girthang
Yeah, that's pretty tired thinking at this point. Might as well complain that we don't have a passing game as well, right?
I think the best idea is to "just play the game". I like our chances and I do think Scang will dial up some plays we didn't see last week. A good game from Levis, I think, will be good enough for a UK win although having CRod available would have had me feeling a lot better.

Florida fans have completely bought into Utah’s preseason ranking. Never mind they lost to two G5 teams (teams that couldn’t beat Fresno, UAB and Utah St) last year and haven’t beaten a non-PAC 12 Power 5 teams since about 2015. I have concerns about our offensive line, but there will be far more SEC caliber athletes playing for the team visiting the Swamp this week than there were last week.
I can see why Florida fans would "want" to buy into Utah's pre-season ranking. It makes it seem they're better than any national pundit believed pre-season. Pundits are paid to talk and that's about the only thing they can do well.

I don’t think Utah had as good a defense as us and the thing with Richardson is he is vulnerable in the passing game if we can flush him out. If he has to win it with his feet I don’t see it because our linebacking corp will smash him at some point.

My plan against AR would not be to flush him, that is playing to his strength, getting in situations where your defender has to tackle him 1 on 1. I want to use a controlled rush, staying in lanes and forcing him into areas he isn't as comfortable with, reading coverages and throwing accurate passes. I rather take my chances with his passing than counting on my DBs who he has 30-50 lbs on or my LB that isn't quite the athlete he is. I personally don't like the spy unless I just have to because you are playing D with 10 then.

My plan against AR would not be to flush him, that is playing to his strength, getting in situations where your defender has to tackle him 1 on 1. I want to use a controlled rush, staying in lanes and forcing him into areas he isn't as comfortable with, reading coverages and throwing accurate passes. I rather take my chances with his passing than counting on my DBs who he has 30-50 lbs on or my LB that isn't quite the athlete he is. I personally don't like the spy unless I just have to because you are playing D with 10 then.
Tend to agree, other than to occasionally see if he's falling asleep on the rush... send a DB off the back corner, for instance.

My guess is due to how your defense is set up with the LBs you will probably contain ARs running better than Utah but I think you will get burned a lot by Pearsall etc with our passing game. The big thing will be whether we can line up and impose our running game on you.

Utah was projected as the 7th ranked team in the country. Looking to go to their 3rd PAC 12 title. Game in 4 years.
When is the last time a team out West won the NC? When I say out West Cawood I mean west of the Rockies.

MAC - PAC whatever.

For the better part of 20 years there's only been one good team come out of the PAC each year, and nowhere close to the top 2-4 in the SEC. They're schedules are week so they tend to stay healthier heading into the late season and post-season, so they win more games than they would if they were in a tougher conference.

Maybe NIL will change that.
That has nothing to do whatsoever with the subject.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT