ADVERTISEMENT

FIT.Y.E.R.O. (Meathead, wellness, fitness, diet, exercise) Thread

Took El Baldo here a while to understand the why behind reverse dieting, but two weeks in, already seeing positive results.

It's essentially increasing calories with an emphasis on hitting your target weight in protein. Done properly you'll increase muscle mass and thus decrease fat mass & %.

Then when it's time to cut, you lower your calories from say 3,000-3,200 at your peak to 2,600 or 2,300 with same amount of protein, and you'll cut while maximizing muscle retention.

Most folks start at a lower than needed calorie and protein intake to begin with, usually between 1500 - 1800 calories, 100g protein. So when they want to cut, they have no room to lower calories and maintain muscle mass. Going to 1,000 - 1,200 calories isn't sustainable while exercising. So yes, the scale will be a lower number, but not in a good way.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

I tried to eat more than 10oz of grilled chicken breast at a meal… just can’t do it. Like eating shoe leather.

10oz of chicken breast yields 467 calories and 88g of protein by my app. If you can hit that at a meal, you're in a great spot. If taste is the issue, throw in a thigh with the breast.
More texture than taste issue. If I had fresh oysters at the ready every day, then I’d be in business.

Then find something you like and ditch the breast. I'm with you, reheated chicken breast is terrible. There's not enough spicy mustard or bbq to change that. Shrimp, tuna, steak, ground beef, turkey, pork, chicken thighs are all good alternatives.

Yep. Salmon had been a go to, although I can’t eat more than 3x/wk. all my preferred fish (halibut) is effing crazy expensive. Pork chops and flank steak are also on the menu.

Chicken thighs are incredible tasting, but are ridiculously high in fat and calories.

Then find something you like and ditch the breast. I'm with you, reheated chicken breast is terrible. There's not enough spicy mustard or bbq to change that. Shrimp, tuna, steak, ground beef, turkey, pork, chicken thighs are all good alternatives.
We do a crockpot of chicken, then shred it and put spices/seasoning. Easier to get down and much tastier than eating a dry breast.

Yep. Salmon had been a go to, although I can’t eat more than 3x/wk. all my preferred fish (halibut) is effing crazy expensive. Pork chops and flank steak are also on the menu.

Chicken thighs are incredible tasting, but are ridiculously high in fat and calories.
Salmon is high in fat as well. You're getting to the point you need to increase calories anyway. Focus on hitting your protein and be done with it. Eating bland ass chicken breast to hit a caloric goal isn't sustainable.

10oz Salmon - 585 Cal, 62g Prot, 35g Fat
10oz Thighs - 607 Cal, 67g Prot, 40g Fat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT