ADVERTISEMENT

FIT.Y.E.R.O. (Meathead, wellness, fitness, diet, exercise) Thread

The ab fatigue I get mid-way through the day now is BONKERS. I haven't unlearned the long-ingrained habit of sitting up straight, which means keeps core tight, so I start getting mega uncomfy at like 3 pm until I realize oh, duh, abs are holding WAY more back now than usual. Let those things relax lol

• Haha
Reactions: WayneDougan
I have this $30 scale from Amazon and it measures almost exactly the same as the fancy one at the gym.

Wyze scale/body fat %
Wildcat Sloot and I have the Weight Watchers version of essentially the same thing. But they only measure from the feet by induction, which isn’t quite as accurate (but still can be useful for purposes of tracking by comparison).

I told Tony at the ballpark last night I went ahead and took the plunge on that Hume; $270 after the lifetime warranty 🥴, but it’s said to be within 98% accuracy when compared to a DEXA.

My wife and I just looked at a house and in the garage someone had stenciled "BE A BAD ASS WITH A GOOD ASS".

Did I put in an offer at asking? Yes. Yes, I did.

• Haha
Reactions: CSC81
Woke up this morning and weighed in at 199lbs. Have not been under 200lbs since early 2000's. Now, as the day progresses with meals, I will be over it but, it is a good point to be at as you are supposed to weigh in first thing in the morning to get actual weight (I believe). Target weight 185-190.

Woke up this morning and weighed in at 199lbs. Have not been under 200lbs since early 2000's. Now, as the day progresses with meals, I will be over it but, it is a good point to be at as you are supposed to weigh in first thing in the morning to get actual weight (I believe). Target weight 185-190.
Congrats. I know the fight with the Mendoza line. Keep grinding.

Been really hammering the legs. Belt squats and pendulum squats are a godsend. Just easier to load up than the barbell squat, but I’m sure I’ll come back around. Thats the beauty of strength training for me — can always switch things up to keep it interesting.

I’ve also been ending the leg day with 3 sets of sissy squats bodyweight to failure. Hits the middle part of the quad (intermedius?) like no other. Always cool when a new exercise stimulates something new like that.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Yep. Weigh after using the bathroom in the morning. I've been 5-8 pounds heavier weighing at night compared to waking up. Food, water, human waste. All bogs your weight down.

Reactions: warrior-cat
-Turns out Pretzel in her infinite Muscle Mommy wisdom was dead on. After a poor(in my warped mind) weigh in Friday. Was 3#'s down 2 days later on Sunday. Didn't have a BF scan on that scale. Regardless, that weight is more like what I felt than the previous Friday weigh in. Put me with a little better chance to get there.

-Leg day. The necessary love - hate - evil - glorious bastard. Belts, reverse hyper, split squat, pull throughs. So hungry after. Somehow I hate and crave 6a Wed Leg Days.

-14 days until goal date. I've eaten enough chicken and broccoli for a lifetime.

-One more thing for the posters looking to jump in the strength training program for the first time. If you are just hitting a box gym without a trainer, just use the machines. They're great, limit risk of injury, typically organized by muscle group.

-Turns out Pretzel in her infinite Muscle Mommy wisdom was dead on. After a poor(in my warped mind) weigh in Friday. Was 3#'s down 2 days later on Sunday. Didn't have a BF scan on that scale. Regardless, that weight is more like what I felt than the previous Friday weigh in. Put me with a little better chance to get there.
...and down a total 5.5 from last Friday. Which I don't think I was actually down that much WoW, fairly certain I was holding water or something. I felt like I should've been right b/w the previous weigh in and today. I actually increased calories a bit and added in some carbs. Weird.

Anyway, 17.1% BF with an outside shot at goal. Regardless should be able to be lower than last year at a higher weight.

-Hard to tell but strength feels pretty good considering I had a really tough 1:30 ride last night in 90 degree heat.

BP Today (all to failure) Bleh
225 x 15
225 x 14
225 x 11
225 x 8

By the time I got to shoulders I was fried.

I got up today with plans to do a heavy day at the gym and then run 5 miles.

Instead I made some French bread.

de00c009-d40b-47e7-acab-051485916d39_text.gif

Made it to 16% BF for final weigh in. Most likely less considering I was really dehydrated from a 31 mile bike ride yesterday afternoon and I weighed in before having any fluids/food. Sacrificed a little muscle these last couple weeks for final aggressive push to the end.

Overall on 12 week cut:
Down 18lbs
Down 7% BF
Lost 2lbs muscle (maybe, again dehydration seems like an issue)
Belt loop is very loose

2 weeks off cut/reload, then back at it with a more sustainable cal count + carbs until we hit the goal.

Went a little too far in the winter. Goal is to set some trigger points for weight/bf during the fall/winter. If I get to those then a brief 4 week deficit.

DB Press
95 x 21 failure
95 x 17
95 x 13
95 x 11

Been doing these partial bench flys. Killer.

Here's my thoughts on the 8 Sleep after three weeks.
  1. This thing is very, very well designed. As a rule, I don't mix electric and water but they've done it and it works very, very well. Heats up and cools down fast.
  2. It has certainly improved our sleep. Surprisingly enough, my wife has gotten more benefit out of it than I have. She's been sleeping like a baby since getting her settings dialed in. My sleep has improved since we got it but nothing crazy -- likely because I do a ton of family law and during this hot ass summer, my work life is just a constant pressure cooker. I wish we had gotten it when things were calmer so I could get a fairer test.
  3. It takes some getting used to. Even if you think you sleep hot or cold, I'd encourage anyone to start with it at zero for a few nights before adjusting too much. At zero, it wicks away heat and sweat so it provides a surprisingly large benefit. We always felt slightly clammy for the first two weeks or so because we didn't really know how to process the feeling of body temperature and sweat being wicked away by a heat sink.
  4. The AI is blah. I despise AI, so I'm a harsh critic but it doesn't really do much after you get your temperatures dialed in. If that's big to you, do not take my word for it since I was frankly looking for a reason to not use the AI unless it was just a dramatic improvement and it certainly is not that.
  5. The best thing for couples may be that it creates conversations about how each other is sleeping and let's you be creative about how to accommodate your partner's habits. For instance, we learned that I tend to snore early in the night and my wife does really late. That appears to because she does great for REM sleep and bad for SMS sleep and I'm the opposite. We've been able to do little things that have helped us both improve.
I certainly would not say it is an absolute gamechanger or a must have. However, I'm keeping it and we just had an offer accepted on a house so an extra $3k in my pocket would be nice right about now. It really comes down to how much that much cash means to you.

I would not even consider buying one unless I had everything else squared away, including my finances. Anyone who finances one of these probably donated to La Familia, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: anthonys735
Mom had to go to ICU on Memorial day for bad Pneumonia and still dealing with the fall out of all that.. so the gym took a back seat. Had to stop the creatine because at that point I was just turning into a beef cake without the lifting (But plan to go back on it now that things are easing up).

Hoping to really get some workouts in the next few weeks before going to Newport, RI for family vacation. But haven't been able to get our walks in because of this unbearable heat/humidity here in the Northeast.

Been getting into my Aviron Rower lately.. and holy shit, what a different type of "cardio workout" that is compared to just doing the elliptical. Great piece of equipment.

Been getting into my Aviron Rower lately.. and holy shit, what a different type of "cardio workout" that is compared to just doing the elliptical. Great piece of equipment.
Word. Rowing -- especially for us poor whites in Kentucky -- is just a different sort of thing. Sort of like brawny man swimming or something.

I'm way too light in the ass to do it well but I enjoy getting the concept2 out for about 3 months per year in the doldrums of winter. I could see a similar benefit during the summer when it is too hot to get do tons of cardio outside.

Here's my thoughts on the 8 Sleep after three weeks.
  1. This thing is very, very well designed. As a rule, I don't mix electric and water but they've done it and it works very, very well. Heats up and cools down fast.
  2. It has certainly improved our sleep. Surprisingly enough, my wife has gotten more benefit out of it than I have. She's been sleeping like a baby since getting her settings dialed in. My sleep has improved since we got it but nothing crazy -- likely because I do a ton of family law and during this hot ass summer, my work life is just a constant pressure cooker. I wish we had gotten it when things were calmer so I could get a fairer test.
  3. It takes some getting used to. Even if you think you sleep hot or cold, I'd encourage anyone to start with it at zero for a few nights before adjusting too much. At zero, it wicks away heat and sweat so it provides a surprisingly large benefit. We always felt slightly clammy for the first two weeks or so because we didn't really know how to process the feeling of body temperature and sweat being wicked away by a heat sink.
  4. The AI is blah. I despise AI, so I'm a harsh critic but it doesn't really do much after you get your temperatures dialed in. If that's big to you, do not take my word for it since I was frankly looking for a reason to not use the AI unless it was just a dramatic improvement and it certainly is not that.
  5. The best thing for couples may be that it creates conversations about how each other is sleeping and let's you be creative about how to accommodate your partner's habits. For instance, we learned that I tend to snore early in the night and my wife does really late. That appears to because she does great for REM sleep and bad for SMS sleep and I'm the opposite. We've been able to do little things that have helped us both improve.
I certainly would not say it is an absolute gamechanger or a must have. However, I'm keeping it and we just had an offer accepted on a house so an extra $3k in my pocket would be nice right about now. It really comes down to how much that much cash means to you.

I would not even consider buying one unless I had everything else squared away, including my finances. Anyone who finances one of these probably donated to La Familia, too.
Great review. I'm at like 75%. Now need to know if I want the bed or cover.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
POD 4 ultra. Anything else seems like a half measure.

We spend 30% of our lives asleep.

If two people sleep in it then it is really like getting a 2 for 1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT