ADVERTISEMENT

First AP poll starts UK at #16

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
The AP voters pegged Kentucky at No. 16 to start the 2023-24 season. The previous low in the Calipari era was No. 11, which is where the 2010-11 team started the season before ultimately advancing to the Final Four, somewhere the Cats haven’t been since 2015. They were also ranked No. 10 to start the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons. In the other 11 of Calipari’s 14 preseasons here, UK was ranked in the top five nationally. Not this year. The AP ranking aligns with other preseason lists. ESPN has UK at No. 15, with CBS Sports ranking the Cats at No. 16, and the KenPom ratings placing them at No. 18. The annual preseason magazines and lists from other college basketball experts generally have Kentucky in that same 15-20 range.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article280589849.html#storylink=cpy

Actual Poll

Preseason AP Top 25​

1. Kansas (46)
2. Duke (11)
3. Purdue (3)
4. Michigan State (1)
5. Marquette
6. UConn (2)
7. Houston
8. Creighton
9. Tennessee
10. FAU
11. Gonzaga
12. Arizona
13. Miami (FL)
14. Arkansas
15. Texas A&M
16. Kentucky
17. San Diego State
18. Texas
19. North Carolina
20. Baylor
21. USC
22. Villanova
23. Saint Mary's
24. Alabama
25. Illinois

Others receiving votes: Wisconsin 53, Colorado 49, UCLA 47, St. John's 47, Maryland 34, Virginia 27, Auburn 27, TCU 24, Mississippi St. 20, Kansas St 13, Xavier 8, Memphis 7, Missouri 6, Boise St. 4, Indiana 3, Florida 2, Coll of Charleston 2, New Mexico 1, Drake 1.

I think it’s a fair ranking. College rosters are filled with older players right now, and UK is touting an extremely young one. Add in that Cal hasn’t made it to a s16 in three seasons, and I could see pollsters being in the “show me” mindset.

I think the potential is there to be a good team by March, but there is no guarantee and a lot of variables at this moment.

Actual Poll

Preseason AP Top 25​

1. Kansas (46)
2. Duke (11)
3. Purdue (3)
4. Michigan State (1)
5. Marquette
6. UConn (2)
7. Houston
8. Creighton
9. Tennessee
10. FAU
11. Gonzaga
12. Arizona
13. Miami (FL)
14. Arkansas
15. Texas A&M
16. Kentucky
17. San Diego State
18. Texas
19. North Carolina
20. Baylor
21. USC
22. Villanova
23. Saint Mary's
24. Alabama
25. Illinois

Others receiving votes: Wisconsin 53, Colorado 49, UCLA 47, St. John's 47, Maryland 34, Virginia 27, Auburn 27, TCU 24, Mississippi St. 20, Kansas St 13, Xavier 8, Memphis 7, Missouri 6, Boise St. 4, Indiana 3, Florida 2, Coll of Charleston 2, New Mexico 1, Drake 1.
I think national pundits are tired of trusting the Cal-speak and aren't buying in anymore. Respect is earned which means Cal has quite a bit of work to do. I don't really blame them at all. I don't listen to what he says ... I'm more interested in what the team does on the court. Rankings don't mean anything as they are more about posturing and bragging rights which mean nothing. That said, I do like this team and think they could have good year.

Reactions: susan2361
The AP voters pegged Kentucky at No. 16 to start the 2023-24 season. The previous low in the Calipari era was No. 11, which is where the 2010-11 team started the season before ultimately advancing to the Final Four, somewhere the Cats haven’t been since 2015. They were also ranked No. 10 to start the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons. In the other 11 of Calipari’s 14 preseasons here, UK was ranked in the top five nationally. Not this year. The AP ranking aligns with other preseason lists. ESPN has UK at No. 15, with CBS Sports ranking the Cats at No. 16, and the KenPom ratings placing them at No. 18. The annual preseason magazines and lists from other college basketball experts generally have Kentucky in that same 15-20 range.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article280589849.html#storylink=cpy
Hard to take a pre-season poll serious when last years pre-season #1 didn't even make the tournament.

Cautiously optimistic about this team - but sadly the AP (along with the rest of College Basketball) now sees UK under Cal as a middle of the road SEC team (UT, Arky - even TAM all seen as better) - that is what Cal - yes Cal - has brought us to. If he doesn't want to be considered that - results speak. Otherwise a good team on paper means nothing unless it translates.

UK fans are the best - certainly deserve better. Cal has put most into battered wife syndrome - they don't think they can have - or really deserve - any better.

Let's see how/if he can finally respond vs more excuses.

Going to shoot up the rankings after we knock off No. 1
Message from Big Z to Hunter:

giphy.gif

Why is MSU ranked that high? Did they land a monster class or something? I wasn't overly impressed with them last season.
I think part of it is most of their guys returned (think they just lost Hauser) and I think they have one supposedly really good incoming freshman. Either way, I don't see them as a national title contender myself. Will be really good, sure, but have strong doubts they have a realistic shot to win the title.

Last edited:
Why is MSU ranked that high? Did they land a monster class or something? I wasn't overly impressed with them last season.
I'm with you... didn't realize they were coming in that high. I will say, Izzo is one of those guys the talking heads love. I like Izzo a lot too, don't get me wrong. But I was surprised to see them that high too.

I think part of it is most of their guys returned and I think they have one supposedly really good incoming freshman. Either way, I don't see them as a national title contender myself. Will be really good, sure, but have strong doubts they have a realistic shot to win the title.
I never doubt Izzo in March, but the rest of the year he's not all that usually.

We are not the Gold Standard anymore, sadly.

Everyone was pointing to this year as Cal's redemption. Look where we are.
Well we knew this since 2018. You have to watch ku Uconn Duke unc take over. But we are the 3rd tier program out of like 8 tiers. We are about the 3rd best SEC program. That's in a power 5 conference. That's not bad. I think we are around the 12th-25th best program in the country, now. That's not the worse. Look at Maryland 20 years ago and see them not. Or IU or ul.

Reactions: Toeriver
#16 is grossly underrated as this team, when completely healthy has more talent 1-10 than anyone in America.
That said, Id rather be grossly underrated and climb the latter throughout the season than be grossly overrated and flameout in the NCAAs.
We can only play 5 at a time, If Cal has that much talent he has no chance of figuring out what 5 to put on the floor. When he has 7 or 8 guys it is hard enough for him. So many young guys, so many injuries, so many egos ,so many people in the ears of the players. Custer had better odds of winning than Cal does

UK picked 3rd in the SEC by CBS Sports:

team logo

Kentucky
"No SEC coach is dealing with more pressure entering this season than John Calipari, who guided Kentucky to four Final Fours in his first six seasons but has now failed to get back there in eight consecutive years. Twenty-two different schools have made the Final Four since the last time Kentucky made the Final Four -- among them fellow blue bloods Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and UCLA, but also traditional mid-majors Florida Atlantic and Loyola Chicago. It's something Calipari will carry with him until he gets the Wildcats back to the Final Four. Whether he can do it this season will largely be determined by heralded freshmen like Justin Edwards, DJ Wagner, Aaron Bradshaw and Robert Dillingham. There's no denying that the Wildcats are talented enough to be among the best teams in the country. The only question is whether veterans Antonio Reeves and Tre Mitchell will provide them with enough experience to actually be one of the best teams in the country."

No one trusts Cal anymore. Not the fans, not the media, not other coaches.

He probably has 7 or 8 NBA prospects on this roster - more than anyone in the nation with the exception being Duke - and we're still only ranked 16th.

Where do you think the media would rank this roster if Izzo or Self were coaching on the sidelines?

Cautiously optimistic about this team - but sadly the AP (along with the rest of College Basketball) now sees UK under Cal as a middle of the road SEC team (UT, Arky - even TAM all seen as better) - that is what Cal - yes Cal - has brought us to. If he doesn't want to be considered that - results speak. Otherwise a good team on paper means nothing unless it translates.

UK fans are the best - certainly deserve better. Cal has put most into battered wife syndrome - they don't think they can have - or really deserve - any better.

Let's see how/if he can finally respond vs more excuses.

Calipari needs to go asap but UK fans are dumb as hell if they think the mid major dominate the awful SEC days every season are coming back. The SEC is a legit conference and n NIL era never gonna change.

Reactions: struggler
We can only play 5 at a time, If Cal has that much talent he has no chance of figuring out what 5 to put on the floor. When he has 7 or 8 guys it is hard enough for him. So many young guys, so many injuries, so many egos ,so many people in the ears of the players. Custer had better odds of winning than Cal does
I‘m thinking Cal lets Welch and Chuck Martin have more input and responsibility than he’s given others in the past.

I am also fine with the Cats being ranked there, but isn't Tennessee ranked way higher than they should be at?

I am somewhat surprised they made even the top 20.

I‘m thinking Cal lets Welch and Chuck Martin have more input and responsibility than he’s given others in the past.
Im hoping so, too. We’ll find out the first time a real team punches is in the mouth. We got the horses this year, let them loose.

I think part of it is most of their guys returned (think they just lost Hauser) and I think they have one supposedly really good incoming freshman. Either way, I don't see them as a national title contender myself. Will be really good, sure, but have strong doubts they have a realistic shot to win the title.

MSU got Hoggard and Walker back. Plus they are returning Akins and Hall. They are bringing in Jeremy Fears, Xavier Booker, and Coen Carr, all three are solid freshmen. They will be a very complete team and have a lot of experience.

It's been past time. He got a stay of execution with this class. Dude has had the NPOY and done nothing much with it.

How'd Oscar do against Kansas State?
How'd Reeves do against Kansas State?

How'd Oscar do against St Peters???
How'd TyTy and Grady do against St. Peters?? 3 of 19 combined?

You can't win when nobody but your NPOY shows up.

Last edited:
I thought it was interesting that the AP poll had 9 SEC schools receiving votes.

UT, UK, Ark, A&M, then Bama...then Auburn, Miss St, Missouri, and Florida. Such a deep conference.

I think A&M is being very underrated with who they have coming back and then Williams was able to bring in 3 transfers too. Likewise, Auburn was a 9 seed in the tournament last year and brought the whole team back while adding a couple transfers.

I bet Alabama drops. I just don't like their team. Rylan Griffen will be the key, but they lost 4 starters and 9 of 12, basically bringing back just Griffen and Sears.

I think Miss St will drop quickly with Tolu Smith out now. I can't wait to see Andrew Taylor on that team. They probably won't recover from the early season losses though with as tough as the SEC is. Going to suck playing them when Tolu gets back and they are like 100+ in the NET or something. They do have the easiest schedule in OOC with games against just Rutgers, Georgia Tech, Wash St, and Arizona St.

I don't see how Missouri or Florida got any votes. Their rosters are all over the place, but I'll take it.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT