ADVERTISEMENT

Final Four as the Standard

I respect your opinion. My University, and preserving the integrity of the college game, comes before any coach.

Boy oh boy.

1. I hope you went to UK if you are going to call it your university. I did...and I support our coaches until it is clear they are checked out or are failing to meet anything near expectations. Cal is way above my realistic standards.

2. Integrity of college game? That is laughable. Have you not watched the news or better yet studied any history of college athletics dating back to the 1950's? What has Cal done to the integrity of the game?

You my friend need a reality check.

Reactions: skcatfan and Jkwo
Our school is literally the only top 7 program that hasn't been hit with any valid accusations in the last decade.

In that time, Cal has won the most games, the most tournament games, a championship, and gone to four final fours.

"Daggum, how ken u guyz support the koach over thuh teeyum? The progrum shud be held to the haighest stainderd"

$%^&ing spare me

I respect your opinion. My University, and preserving the integrity of the college game, comes before any coach.

Apparently not in front of yourself however. That was a cheap shot. Have you quit cheering for your beloved dooks? We know you are in there right with dickie V and old rat face.

Like I said, a cheap shot.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I really worry that those fans are going to run Cal out of town when it's all said and done. It won't be age, or family, or money that causes Cal to retire.. it's going to be the fanbase and the demands and one day he's going to say "I want to enjoy my golden years"
One can only hope! With the amount of money Cal makes, the amount of autonomy our great University permits him, and the deification of Cal by this fan base, he should be winning 2.5 championships per decade. Don't care much about the rest. We are Kentucky - the Gold Standard. The measure shouldn't be what is "the norm" for other great programs; everyone else should be looking up to us. Cal set that expectation when he got here with his press conference, now he needs to live up to it.

One can only hope! With the amount of money Cal makes, the amount of autonomy our great University permits him, and the deification of Cal by this fan base, he should be winning 2.5 championships per decade. Don't care much about the rest. We are Kentucky - the Gold Standard. The measure shouldn't be what is "the norm" for other great programs; everyone else should be looking up to us. Cal set that expectation when he got here with his press conference, now he needs to live up to it.

**Assuming no sarcasm in your post**

What does a half championship look like? Would be interesting to see. Considering he has been here just 1 decade I don't think he could have possibly averaged 2.5 titles.

This board really pulls out some true Kentucky fans, smh. Fans with so much knowledge of our tradition and rich history that they estimate 2.5 titles per year because of money, autonomy and apparently deification. Wow...that's special.

2.5 titles per decade x 8 decades of semi-modern basketball (Rupp first title in '40s) would equate to 20 titles that we should have by now.

Damn Cal, you needed to win 13 titles in your 10 years here to get us up to speed for our "born n bred" fan base.

BBN is lacking brain cells in the far stretches of its reach.

Reactions: skcatfan
Math obviously isn’t your strong suit lmao. Let’s just use Coach K as an example to prove how utterly stupid what you just said is. 40 years at Duke for who is considered the goat of modern basketball coaches. He has 5 titles during that time frame but according to you he’s vastly underachieved because he should have at least 10. Hell even Adolph Rupp with his 4 titles in 40 years at UK was an abysmal failure according to those standards. This board never has a shortage of horrible takes but this one has to be one of the worst I’ve seen in awhile.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Few if any would flat out say it...however, it is insinuated plenty.

The funny part is Cal's averages of 2.5 yrs per FF and 1 title in 10 years is well above average in the history of our historic program.
I think the numbers are trending downward, though. Really, since 14-15 it's not been good. And the recruiting has gotten worse right along with it.

Reactions: UK_born_b_bread

I think we got ourselves a bonafide troll boy from another fan base. I run across very few CLODites that make dumbass statements like this.

Either that or we have UMM 2.0.

I think the numbers are trending downward, though. Really, since 14-15 it's not been good. And the recruiting has gotten worse right along with it.

What would a Dookie know about it? Your boy Ratface couldn’t get into the final four with the greatest team ever assembled according to the Dookie news network, ESPN.

Explains a lot about your utter failure.

Let me give a hint. Look at the average age of our teams. Then maybe you will realize our teams are largely made of KIDS!!!! All this talent you cry about is most most inexperienced in college basketball. Factor that into your CLOD BS.
Can't disagree more. From 1942 thru 1945, kids, ages 17-19, fought a war on two fronts and won both. Using kids as an excuse is a huge failure, try and do better.

Reactions: UK_born_b_bread
Can't disagree more. From 1942 thru 1945, kids, ages 17-19, fought a war on two fronts and won both. Using kids as an excuse is a huge failure, try and do better.

Happened in late 60’s too. Lot of those boys came home in coffins. I thought you’d have more respect. I’m ashamed of you.

Trying to equate the two situations is disgusting. One group was conscripted, given several months indoctrination and shoved into a meat grinder in sufficient quantities to over power it. God rest them and bring peace for their families.

In college basketball, the benefits of experience in this particular age group in undeniable. Tournament championships by extremely young teams are rare. You have only to look at Travis, certainly not our most talented player, to see the benefits of age and experience. Only a blithering idiot would dare claim that age and experience do not have an effect.

It doesn’t take a doctorate statistician or an expert trainer to look this stuff up. It was easy for you to know this before you posted. Instead you disrespectfully tossed out a completely unrelated situation that resulted in 10’s of thousands of war dead, many of whom were kids. This is a new low for you in terms of ignorance and disrespect.

Happened in late 60’s too. Lot of those boys came home in coffins. I thought you’d have more respect. I’m ashamed of you.

Trying to equate the two situations is disgusting. One group was conscripted, given several months indoctrination and shoved into a meat grinder in sufficient quantities to over power it. God rest them and bring peace for their families.

In college basketball, the benefits of experience in this particular age group in undeniable. Tournament championships by extremely young teams are rare. You have only to look at Travis, certainly not our most talented player, to see the benefits of age and experience. Only a blithering idiot would dare claim that age and experience do not have an effect.

It doesn’t take a doctorate statistician or an expert trainer to look this stuff up. It was easy for you to know this before you posted. Instead you disrespectfully tossed out a completely unrelated situation that resulted in 10’s of thousands of war dead, many of whom were kids. This is a new low for you in terms of ignorance and disrespect.

I guess where I’m having trouble reconciling your take on this, is you seem to outright say having a really young and inexperienced team is a poor strategy if your goal is to win tournament championships. Your words:
In college basketball, the benefits of experience in this particular age group in undeniable. Tournament championships by extremely young teams are rare.“

But in the same breath, you also seem to think Cal is our best possible option (which I do too, by the way, so spare me the CLOD comments ...). Thing is that no one is forcing us to have these extremely young an inexperienced teams. This is the route we’ve chose to go. A route that you also seem to think is not conducive to winning championships. So it’s the best possible strategy, until we lose, then it’s an excuse for losing? That’s what I can’t quite wrap my head around.

I’m sure you won’t articulate an answer without being insulting or at minimum condescending, but I’ll hold out hope.

I guess where I’m having trouble reconciling your take on this, is you seem to outright say having a really young and inexperienced team is a poor strategy if your goal is to win tournament championships. Your words:
In college basketball, the benefits of experience in this particular age group in undeniable. Tournament championships by extremely young teams are rare.“

But in the same breath, you also seem to think Cal is our best possible option (which I do too, by the way, so spare me the CLOD comments ...). Thing is that no one is forcing us to have these extremely young an inexperienced teams. This is the route we’ve chose to go. A route that you also seem to think is not conducive to winning championships. So it’s the best possible strategy, until we lose, then it’s an excuse for losing? That’s what I can’t quite wrap my head around.

I’m sure you won’t articulate an answer without being insulting or at minimum condescending, but I’ll hold out hope.

Ok, yet another CLOD-like response. NO SYSTEM IS CONDUSIVE TO WINNING REPEATED CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!! If there were a system that were extremely effective, one system would stand out and the team that uses it would win an inordinate number of times. Other teams would copy it and the system would no longer stand out. As proof, I need only offer: One and done.

Now let me try to use simple words. At no point did I say youth could not win. I said they are at a disadvantage. Cal counters this disadvantage by using the very best talent he can gather. That said, they still face an uphill battle like EVERY OTHER TEAM IN AMERICA!! That he gets the results he does with very young teams is very impressive. This argument is presented to counter the asinine expectation that 'he should be wunnin more of'em champeenchups ona cause he got more of'em NBA'uns playin fer him'. In the midst of all the tobacco chomping, they forget that our teams are very very young.

We use that system because that's the system Cal uses and he's our coach. His results are stellar in doing so. The stupidity enters when idiots think that he's got some sort of magic bullet that entitles us to win the tourney more than once every 10 or 20 years. He doesn't. We get the results a sane person would expect. His results exceed reasonable expectations.

And yes, you are sounding VERY CLOD-ish lately. Wake up.

You really are a POS, equating boys going to war and getting killed to a GD basketball game. Seriously? I simply can not believe you typed that crap. WTF is your GD limit in defending a coach and a basketball game? Do you even have a lime you won’t cross? You are a despicable excuse for a human being.

Ok, yet another CLOD-like response. NO SYSTEM IS CONDUSIVE TO WINNING REPEATED CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!! If there were a system that were extremely effective, one system would stand out and the team that uses it would win an inordinate number of times. Other teams would copy it and the system would no longer stand out. As proof, I need only offer: One and done.

Now let me try to use simple words. At no point did I say youth could not win. I said they are at a disadvantage. Cal counters this disadvantage by using the very best talent he can gather. That said, they still face an uphill battle like EVERY OTHER TEAM IN AMERICA!! That he gets the results he does with very young teams is very impressive. This argument is presented to counter the asinine expectation that 'he should be wunnin more of'em champeenchups ona cause he got more of'em NBA'uns playin fer him'. In the midst of all the tobacco chomping, they forget that our teams are very very young.

We use that system because that's the system Cal uses and he's our coach. His results are stellar in doing so. The stupidity enters when idiots think that he's got some sort of magic bullet that entitles us to win the tourney more than once every 10 or 20 years. He doesn't. We get the results a sane person would expect. His results exceed reasonable expectations.

And yes, you are sounding VERY CLOD-ish lately. Wake up.

Okay, so an extremely condescending answer with CLOD bookending your post. Thanks.

Reactions: ScrooDook92
Okay, so an extremely condescending answer with CLOD bookending your post. Thanks.
Wasting your time discussing anything with that fool. I have only one poster on ignore, but the large MOUTHED bass is getting ever so close. He can only hurl insults.

Reactions: ScrooDook92
This thread has proven my point, I'd say. I'm glad to see there are some others that don't see the last four years as an overall disappointment, and still have faith in the program moving forward. If we had somehow made the FF in both of 2017 or 2019, that would have been six FF's in ten years. And some people here it seems would be crying about Cal's ability to coach since he would have only won one title in those "six" trips to the Final Four.

Again, I'm glad we have high expectations, we should. And I'd surely love it if UK won it all every year. But I'm hoping all of the downers don't suddenly start touting you knew Cal has continued to be the right man for the job all along, once the CATS get back to the top of the mountain.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Cal's system is of his own choosing...I think we can all agree on that.

I do feel like Cal should have 1 or possibly even 2 more titles in his decade here based off of 2015 alone...and tossing in possibly 2009/2014, because the chances/talent were there. I bet he does too if you gave him truth serum. But you know, if we win in '14, 2015 never happens...Harrison twins are gone, etc.

My whole point is not to argue the above. My point is that it isn't easy to win titles and to act like we are entitled to more or to crucify our coach for having not won 1 or 2 more titles is silly.

It is just my opinion that his failure to win one more title doesn't change who he is to me as our coach. He is highly successful and more often than not we are in the thick of it and that is a major change from the decade + before he got here.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I think we got ourselves a bonafide troll boy from another fan base. I run across very few CLODites that make dumbass statements like this.

Either that or we have UMM 2.0.
I've given more to Kentucky athletics facilities and scholarships in the past year than you will in a lifetime. I think that entitles me to criticize without being ostracized as a "troll." Maybe you should open your eyes and actually THINK rather than just follow the masses like a lemming.

Last edited:
I've given more to Kentucky athletics facilities and scholarships in the past year than you will in a lifetime. I think that entitles me to criticize without being ostracized as a "troll." Maybe you should open your eyes and actually THINK rather than just follow the masses like a lemming.
Omg I never knew Kyle Macy or Ralph Hacker posted on this board lmao.

I don’t think you can think very level-heatedly. If you actually read the content of my posts it’s very reasonable and so are my expectations. I’m happy as can be with Cal, I just don’t kneel at his altar.

I don't think I care what you think. CLODites are more amusement than a great concern.

This coach has showed a hell of a lot more integrity toward the game versus those that are cheating or minimally, living in the grey, to be successful. This coach has represented this university very well on many levels not to even mention the state of the University’s basketball program prior to his arrival. He may approach or say things differently than you would prefer but that’s your issue not his. He has been tremendously successful over his 10 years here. For 10 years he has been “Cal”. How many times have you changed who you are just on this site?

My standard, which no one else ever accepts (which is fine with me) is that making the Elite Eight in today's highly competitive 68 team format is the equivalent of making the Final Four pre-1985. To get there, you have to win three games in the tournament, and avoid any bad losses-terrible upsets.
That is my mark of a successful season.

A Final Four is an exceptional season -- one to be remembered with a banner in the rafters and celebrated, no matter what else happens.

A Championship is an extraordinary season, one to embrace and cherish because it is as rare as it is exhilarating.

I've been a fan since Rupp's Runts, and I've only experienced four -- and that still puts me ahead of a vast majority of college basketball fans, especially when I add in the rich memories of years like 1966, 1975, 1984, 1992, 1993, 1997, 2003, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017 and others when the Cats did things I'll never forget, but fell short of a championship.

I have no doubt Cal will always bring UK "successful" seasons...

Historically, the Regional Final has always been our Achilles heel! I shudder every time we play one. Our guys always seem to find a new way and time to have their worst game of the season.....

Historically, the Regional Final has always been our Achilles heel! I shudder every time we play one. Our guys always seem to find a new way and time to have their worst game of the season.....
Yeah because we can’t usually get by on talent alone at that point and need someone who knows the X’s and O’s.

In other news, love how are we handling Toledo today!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT