ADVERTISEMENT

Fewer Charles Matthews or Bryce Hopkins under Pope?

TankedCat

All-American
Nov 8, 2006
Kentucky.com article on Pope being dedicated to using a bigger bench rotation, giving more players playing time

Moving forward, it appears that Kentucky and Calipari are heading down very different paths in terms of roster construction. Now that he is the boss Hog at Arkansas, Calipari apparently wants to double down on the small rosters. On a recent episode of the “Ways to Win” podcast hosted by ex-Oregon State coach Craig Robinson, Calipari said he only wants “eight or nine” scholarship players on his rosters moving forward.

Calipari sited the prevalence of players transferring in the current era and said he saw no reason to coach developmental players you would essentially be getting ready for their next school. Pope and Kentucky would seem to be making exactly the opposite bet.

If UK going forward will be using 10-player rotations, that could potentially create more opportunity for players who are not ready to be one-and-done pros to carve out meaningful reserve roles for the Wildcats early in their careers rather than just sitting the bench and watching the stars play 30 minutes plus.

The question to be answered is whether, under Pope, might players the caliber of, say, Charles Matthews or Bryce Hopkins — to name two Calipari-era Cats who played sparingly at UK as freshmen only to become multi-year standouts after transferring to Michigan and Providence, respectively — log enough meaningful time as part of big rotations early in their Kentucky careers that they are comfortable staying in Lexington to do their multi-year development at UK?

If yes, that would be a welcome outgrowth arising from Mark Pope’s devotion to building depth — and using it.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article288509942.html#storylink=cpy

You cite Matthews and Hopkins as examples, but were there really any others who transferred from here after their freshman season and became standouts elsewhere? I can’t think of any. That’s two in 15 years.

The bigger problem to me was guys who came here and then their careers went absolutely nowhere, either in college or professionally, because of a lack of development and the urgency to get out as quickly as possible.

You cite Matthews and Hopkins as examples, but were there really any others who transferred from here after their freshman season and became standouts elsewhere? I can’t think of any. That’s two in 15 years.

The bigger problem to me was guys who came here and then their careers went absolutely nowhere, either in college or professionally, because of a lack of development and the urgency to get out as quickly as possible.
Johnny juzang is only other one I could think of

Kyle Wiltjer became an AA at Gonzaga, although he waited 2 years to transfer.

I think another question to ask is this: Can Pope identify those types of guys (Matthew, Juzang, Hopkins) who don't take the weight of the world upon their shoulders in their first year?

That was Cal's issue. He could never sell the multiyear idea to recruits. He sold the same gimmick of OAD and NBA prep to everyone - whether it was Quade Green or Anthony Davis alike.

That created an outlook of immediacy in the eyes of pretty much everyone Cal brought to Lexington. It also created harsh feelings and resentment from player camps when the OAD looked impossible for some guys who needed further development.

So I think Pope will try to land the occasional AJ Dybantsa, but I think his sale's job will be different when he's recruiting the Charles Matthews-level players.

That will probably cost him a number of recruiting battles, but I think that the guys he does bring here will come with a better understanding of the "process."

Only time will tell, with NIL$$$ and the relative ease of transferring through the portal, not to mention the use of agents and poaching. The ideals of not “quitting” are desired and laudable, but we’ll soon find out how realistic they are.

always going to be a balancing act but hopefully with a decent NIL package a few players will still around

Reactions: chroix
Plus, sophomore Wiltjer was already playing behind a freshman Alex Poythress. Even though Poythress never really improved, there is no way Wiltjer would be able to compete with Poythress AND Julius Randle for PT.

Yeah, he made the right call.

Randle was wah better than him. Then he would have been a senior on the 2015 team. He would have platooned I suppose.

I think another question to ask is this: Can Pope identify those types of guys (Matthew, Juzang, Hopkins) who don't take the weight of the world upon their shoulders in their first year?

That was Cal's issue. He could never sell the multiyear idea to recruits. He sold the same gimmick of OAD and NBA prep to everyone - whether it was Quade Green or Anthony Davis alike.

That created an outlook of immediacy in the eyes of pretty much everyone Cal brought to Lexington. It also created harsh feelings and resentment from player camps when the OAD looked impossible for some guys who needed further development.

So I think Pope will try to land the occasional AJ Dybantsa, but I think his sale's job will be different when he's recruiting the Charles Matthews-level players.

That will probably cost him a number of recruiting battles, but I think that the guys he does bring here will come with a better understanding of the "process."
Good post.

The only problem is that there's still finite number of minutes. So while I think it's a good thing that our 6-10 guys get more playing time, and that it will help recruiting those types.. I'm not sure how the starters will feel going from mid 30 mpg to mid 20s.

Whether you give out 40mpg to the 5 starters or your platoon, there's inherently going to be drawbacks.

Reactions: megablue
Cal hyper reacting. He blames last years struggles likely on having too many players to get time for.. like when recruiting dropped a little after 15 he hyper reacted swearing off platoons agsin. Even when last year platoons might of really worked.

The only problem is that there's still finite number of minutes. So while I think it's a good thing that our 6-10 guys get more playing time, and that it will help recruiting those types.. I'm not sure how the starters will feel going from mid 30 mpg to mid 20s.

Whether you give out 40mpg to the 5 starters or your platoon, there's inherently going to be drawbacks.
The big question is whether there is slippage when you play from the 6th man down through the roster. Player evaluations by the entire staff during practice will be the key. I think our pace, effort and intensity will require a deep bench being used. At least, I hope so.

Marginal guys looking for short term solutions will continue to transfer and even some with solid paths will seek greener pastures, it is a college basketball thing now.

This doesn't mean there won't be continuity opportunities but they will take more work to retain and maybe sometimes some short term sacrifice on the part of the program too

Cal needed to play less freshmen.
But also he needed to play freshmen more so they didn't transfer.

IMO the answer is between the 2 approaches!
I think you go with a 8 man rotation, with the 9th/10th used for foul trouble.
3- PG/SG 3- PF/C 1-SF that can play 2. 1-SF that can play small ball 4!

I believe by having a 8 man rotation playing the bulk of your minutes, they will have much better chemistry. 8 should also give them enough rest to avoid late season fatigue like Grady ECT! Your 9th 10th should be young guys developing for the next year! This is how I saw Pitino play his rotation. In 96 mercer/McCarty/Sheppard played close to starter minutes. In 97 Edwards/Turner played
Starter minutes, with Mohammed/Magloir splitting the 5 Spot!

Also note worthy, if I'm not mistaken, Prickett Redshirted in 96 and Sheppard Redshirted in 97! Not sure that's much of a option now days with NIL money to be had.

1. It’s goofy to roll with 8-9 scholarships…but that is so Cal. You can’t scrimmage. When a dude is hurt vs injured….needs to sit practice…then it’s even worse

2. Now to the argument of larger rotation and full 13 players
- sure dudes are going to be harder to keep. But plenty of teams keep guys 3-4 years. No reasons UK cant as well

- Danny Hurley nailed it…identify the kids who can’t help you a ton in year one but have their heads in the clouds..avoid them. Cal never did (Whitney Ej Montgomery etc)

- Cal would over recruit you year over year..kids knew it and left when they felt it (Juzang). Pope hopefully establish a culture we’re kids feel they have a future beyond first year. Cal never would try

Cal hyper reacting. He blames last years struggles likely on having too many players to get time for.. like when recruiting dropped a little after 15 he hyper reacted swearing off platoons agsin. Even when last year platoons might of really worked.
I propose making each game 50 minutes. 2 25 minute halves. Same scholarship limits. Then you have an extra 10 minutes to spread around. Heck, let’s make the game an hour.

You have to fill the roster with as many good players as you can. We've historically had bad luck with injuries, we play in a physical league where refs refuse to clean things up, and we want to wear teams out with motion on the offensive end. All of those factors require bodies on the bench who can step in and contribute when their number gets called. Running with only 7-8 players isn't sustainable with the way Pope is setting things up.

I like what he's doing this off-season and the way he has constructed the roster, considering the timetable Pope has had.

Calipari sited the prevalence of players transferring in the current era and said he saw no reason to coach developmental players you would essentially be getting ready for their next school.

Players first. This guy had some serious jackass tendencies

In other words if you weren't an NBA player , he didn't think you were worth his time

I think with the landscape of college basketball, this is just the new norm. I think Pope will do a better job than most at getting guys to stay around, but I’m still expecting to lose some guys we don’t wanna lose to the portal every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT