ADVERTISEMENT

Fayette County Schools - More money to Already Bloated Administrators

Jun 2, 2005
‘Contrary to the legislative intention that teachers get raises,’ Lockett lambasts FCPS Board’s move to pad administrator’s pockets
Frankfort, Kentucky (June 25, 2024) – Representative Matt Lockett (R-Nicholasville) issued the following statement after the Fayette County Public Schools Board of Education voted on Monday, June 24 to approve “additives,” essentially bonuses to system administrators. The bonuses range between $8,000 and $81,000 based on position.

“This move by Fayette County Public Schools is extremely frustrating and disappointing. We’ve provided a record amount of funding for public education, even after adjusting for inflation, with the specific intent of boosting pay for the women and men who work on the frontlines of our public education system. While I appreciate Fayette County Public Schools providing a pay raise to all employees, slipping hundreds of thousands in bonuses to attorneys, accountants, and administrators is contrary to the legislature’s intention that teachers get raises. These individuals rarely, if ever, find themselves in a classroom engaging with the very children the system exists to serve. Why should they receive more than a teacher, cafeteria worker, or bus driver? I am hopeful the Board will reconsider this decision, perhaps using the money to restore programs that have been cut and provide even more support to students and teachers.”

Earlier this year, Lockett joined members of the Kentucky House and Senate in approving a state budget that included increases in per pupil funding and fully funded transportation at the levels provided by the Kentucky Department of Education, as well as allocating additional funding to make pension contributions on districts’ behalf. While the new budget will take effect on July 1, it builds on the record funding included in the current budget.

Scroll down on link below to where it has the administrative additives pdf if you want to see all the $$$ they are handing out to administration while they cut other programs due to lack of funding.

Not going to get into a pissing contest here, but this is not new. Using the director of technology for example. Her base pay is on the teacher salary schedule, meaning on the 190 day teacher calendar. However, she works year round, save for vacation days and such. So she gets the additive to match the amount of working that she does, which is a lot. I wouldn’t do what she does for that salary, even though it’s really good.

Also, I could be wrong about this, but I don’t think these additives are considered when figuring retirement. I have a similar issue with a few thousand a year for extra stuff I do, but it’s considered supplemental, not an additive.

Now, can you argue the amount for some of those at the top is too much. Also, I don’t doubt Rep. Lockett isn’t saying what he thinks is correct, but I’d bet he doesn’t really know how it works.

This is just my understanding of what all of this means. TIFWIW. I’m going back to the beach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT