ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite John Williams composition

I had the original Star Wars album when I was a kid. I used to listen to it while I played with my toys and try to come up with "my own movie scenes", lol. I wish I still had all that stuff. Those were definitely the days.

I’m so glad film scores exist. Especially John Williams types. Can you imagine some of these movies in the hands of some modern filmmakers. Darth Vader would make his entrance to ‘Rock you like a Hurricane’ and some Ariana Grande song playing when Leia telling Han she loves him

I saw this thread and I was lik “Oh no. No no no.”

Glad to see he’s still kicking.

I love the Star Was scores of course. And even someone of newer scores are good (even if the newer movies are a little meh). The music was still strong.

But that first Harry Potter score is WONDERFUL. And again defined some of the later scores in that series that weren’t done by him but were heavily inspired by him in style.

Some of our great American composers have been film scorers (which is just modern day opera in a way).

Last edited:
When my wife (who is a huge fan of classical music) and I got married we hired an ensemble to play all the music she had dreamed about being in her wedding. I only had one request and I had to beg her to agree to it. I wanted to pick the music for the recessional and I chose this.

Kinda like rating which supermodel is the hottest, but I'll take a tun at it. I've actually had an encounter with him back when I was at a conservatory and he first came to Boston, What a lovely, intelligent, gentleman!

1. The overture to the score for "The Cowboys". Has any other piece captured the majesty, and yet the sorrow of the American West?

2, The Overture Score For "Jaws"..Perpetually swirling, threatening, a relentless and dangerous menace that gets closer and closer until.....BOOM

3. The Overture to the Score for "JFK".. All the nostalgic poignancy of a time gone by and a society that had it's hopes and dreams crashed in a single afternoon, never to be quite the same again.

4. The Overture to the movie "Amistaad". Give us Free. Snuff said.

5. The Theme for the 1984 Olympics. No other piece quite captures the excitement, the glory, the potential for human triumph through achievement in sports.

Well ..throw in Star Wars anywhere. IT's too iconic to be left out.

I’m so glad film scores exist. Especially John Williams types. Can you imagine some of these movies in the hands of some modern filmmakers. Darth Vader would make his entrance to ‘Rock you like a Hurricane’ and some Ariana Grande song playing when Leia telling Han she loves him
Speaking as a classically trained musician, and one who has had a career in music my entire life, I wouldn't be surprised if a hundred years from now, that Film Scores aren't regarded as the quintessential form of classical music from this era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT