ADVERTISEMENT

Fantasy Basketball/NBA

LineSkiCat14

All-American
Aug 5, 2015
Just got done with my draft, figured it might be cool to get a topic going on this, see who drafted who, tips, roster-bating, etc.

My top four went: Durant, Chris Paul, Porzingus, and Klay. Got stuck with Bradley Beal, Otto Porter, and Oladipo, RIGHT after the guy I was eyeing was picked. Keeping my eye on Lavine who should return to top50 as well.

As a college ball fan, I always try to grab a freshman as even the highest touted ones are rarely pre-ranked in the top75. Grabbed Dennis Smith for this reason. The Risk/Reward is too good. I killed it by drafting KAT in his rookie year, but missed the mark on Ingram last season.

Wanted to get some thoughts on this from other college fans: For fantasy purposes, what college player you taking first? I'm thinking Smith, Ball, Fox.. Tatum after? Fultz is coming off the bench and his shot is messed up.

Haha, Hey man.. don't knock it until you try it. I've made some serious money betting on Kentucky players. I tried to grab as many as I can if the spot warrants it. I have Noel with my 9th pick and Randle with my 11th pick.. both are steals.

I'm playing fantasy basketball for the first time this year, I've played football for years. I'm still kinda confused on how the scoring works. We're playing head to head points by category but I didn't think each player played the same number of games per week?

I'm playing fantasy basketball for the first time this year, I've played football for years. I'm still kinda confused on how the scoring works. We're playing head to head points by category but I didn't think each player played the same number of games per week?

They don't. That's part of the strategy. Deciding if you want to keep all of your guys or use one spot to just stream players based on who's playing that night. It all tends to even out in the end though.

I personally love fantasy basketball. Not nearly as frustrating as football.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
They don't. That's part of the strategy. Deciding if you want to keep all of your guys or use one spot to just stream players based on who's playing that night. It all tends to even out in the end though.

I personally love fantasy basketball. Not nearly as frustrating as football.
Yeah football hasn't gone well for me this year..

I like your picks including Oladipo. The only worry that I would have is Paul. In the preseason, he didn't seem to mesh real well with Hardin. I read that Houston may stagger Paul's minutes so that he gets a lot of run with the second unit where he can run the show.

Last year I did 2 drafts. One where I just did normal and the other I drafted all UK guys and filled in the rest with guys that almost picked UK. Wiggins, Will Barton etc. even when a seemingly better player was available. I ended up with pretty much everybody but Wall. I took Davis first round and Wall was picked soon after.

The UK team did way better.

I'm not sure about other leagues. For ours you can only add/drop 4 times in a week.. so ideally you can swap two guys out before the nightly deadline, have those two added for the following day, and then right after the deadline, add your original 2 guys back. It's basically a way to add two more guys worth of points..

I like your picks including Oladipo. The only worry that I would have is Paul. In the preseason, he didn't seem to mesh real well with Hardin. I read that Houston may stagger Paul's minutes so that he gets a lot of run with the second unit where he can run the show.

Yeah I wasn't in love with the Paul pick either, but it was a considerably drop-off after him. He was my 2nd pick so I had to take a guy that could get me elite production.

As a Rockets fan, I have no idea what to expect. But that can be said about the entire top10. How will Westbrook and Harden play with new teammates? Irving and IT4 changing spots? How does that affect Lebron? Lots of questions for almost any player that isn't on GSW.. and even they have 1 ball for 4 players..

My teams loaded
Pg- CP3
Sg-Brogdon
SF-KD
PF-Lamarcus Aldridge
C-Deandre Jordan
G-Derrick Rose
F-Julius Randle
Utl-Saric
Utl-Clint Capela

We do an extra 10 pts for a dbl dbl and an extra 15 for a triple dbl.

This is why you play roto and aren't at the mercy of the guy with no life.

I was really tempted to pull LMA with him being ranked so low. He can't possibly continue to stink on San Antonio, right??

Randle and Clint were just told that their contracts won't be extended.. wonder how that affects him. After KD you have a lot of question marks on that team.

Just got done with my draft, figured it might be cool to get a topic going on this, see who drafted who, tips, roster-bating, etc.

My top four went: Durant, Chris Paul, Porzingus, and Klay. Got stuck with Bradley Beal, Otto Porter, and Oladipo, RIGHT after the guy I was eyeing was picked. Keeping my eye on Lavine who should return to top50 as well.

As a college ball fan, I always try to grab a freshman as even the highest touted ones are rarely pre-ranked in the top75. Grabbed Dennis Smith for this reason. The Risk/Reward is too good. I killed it by drafting KAT in his rookie year, but missed the mark on Ingram last season.

Wanted to get some thoughts on this from other college fans: For fantasy purposes, what college player you taking first? I'm thinking Smith, Ball, Fox.. Tatum after? Fultz is coming off the bench and his shot is messed up.

I think you'll kill it with Dennis Smith. Smith should get plenty of run in Dallas. He and Fox are the two best point guards in this draft

I was really tempted to pull LMA with him being ranked so low. He can't possibly continue to stink on San Antonio, right??

Randle and Clint were just told that their contracts won't be extended.. wonder how that affects him. After KD you have a lot of question marks on that team.
I've got faith. Clint will be a monster for Hou and idk why players in a contract year would want to play worse?

Can you explain roto?

You have a full roster, and all of your guys in the active lineup accumulate stats the same way they do in normal fantasy, but instead of head to head, everyone just tallies stats throughout the season.

Whoever currently has the most in a category (points, rebounds, etc.) gets the most points, then second, third, etc.

At the end of the year, the team with the most points wins.

You play everyone all the time. So whereas in H2H you might have the second highest assist total of the week and lose by one assist and it's just a loss on your record, in roto, it's still a strong showing.

It balances out the randomness of matchups, fluke stats, guys who play more per week, etc. The person who drafts the best team will win.

Reactions: DSmith21
Last year I did 2 drafts. One where I just did normal and the other I drafted all UK guys and filled in the rest with guys that almost picked UK. Wiggins, Will Barton etc. even when a seemingly better player was available. I ended up with pretty much everybody but Wall. I took Davis first round and Wall was picked soon after.

The UK team did way better.

You can bet your ass that every year there will be at least one Kentucky guy who plays way above the normal preseason ranking for the rookies. Very good chance Fox turns into a top60 player worthy of being on a roster.

I've got faith. Clint will be a monster for Hou and idk why players in a contract year would want to play worse?

True, it's not like Clint has much competition. I just don't know what his role will be, now with Houston going even more guard heavy. Morey wants a legit big man and Clint isn't it. He'll certainly want to showcase his talents, but I wonder if he'll be happy with the ball going back and forth between Paul, Harden and Gordon..

True, it's not like Clint has much competition. I just don't know what his role will be, now with Houston going even more guard heavy. Morey wants a legit big man and Clint isn't it. He'll certainly want to showcase his talents, but I wonder if he'll be happy with the ball going back and forth between Paul, Harden and Gordon..
I'm in it for the double doubles broski. Give me 10 & 10 a game all I need.

How many are in your league? I have 8 and drafted last night:

KAT
Lillard
Klay
Hayward
Carmelo
Myles Turner
Vucevic
Wiggins
Favors
Fox
Smith Jr
A Gordon
Bazemore

I usually play in a roto league but I'm skipping this year. Just too much for me too keep up with. Best of luck to you guys who are playing though! =D

Fox and Smith?! That could be a huge payday.

I'm gonna rookie watch for the entire first two weeks.. if someone shows out, I'm picking them up. Kind of want to drop Randle, unfortunately..

How many are in your league? I have 8 and drafted last night:

KAT
Lillard
Klay
Hayward
Carmelo
Myles Turner
Vucevic
Wiggins
Favors
Fox
Smith Jr
A Gordon
Bazemore
12 ppl in mine.
Fox and Smith?! That could be a huge payday.

I'm gonna rookie watch for the entire first two weeks.. if someone shows out, I'm picking them up. Kind of want to drop Randle, unfortunately..
youd be a fool to cut Randle. He was the top player for LA last year and had 18 double doubles (29th in the league) and a triple double or 2. His scoring should only go up with ball feeding him

I usually draft a team of all Wildcats every year.

Its hard to get more than one top end former Cat. No way to get Wall, Cousins, Davis, and KAT on the same team.

I ended up trading Randle and rose for Dennis smith jr and Dwight Howard. Dwight had 53 dbl dbls to Julius 18 last year and as stated before I get +10 for DD in my league.

12 ppl in mine.

youd be a fool to cut Randle. He was the top player for LA last year and had 18 double doubles (29th in the league) and a triple double or 2. His scoring should only go up with ball feeding him

Randle is a little banged up, and there's a reason he was almost

I usually draft a team of all Wildcats every year.

Its hard to get more than one top end former Cat. No way to get Wall, Cousins, Davis, and KAT on the same team.

You end up having to make some serious trades. I've done this, and what I do is draft best available and then make the trades. Always, always, always draft best available and worry about it later.

Got killed this week. I lost:

CP3, Marcus Smart, Jonas valanc., Devin Booker, Dennis Smith.. all to injury. On top of that Durants ejection..

Woof.

Correct. Hence, your final roster spot (or two) should always be fluid. Go find the best guy in the pool who plays the most games that week. Even a dude that scores 10 a game 4 times is better than a guy scoring 30 once. So this and you're a shoo in for the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT