ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Detox * in process *

Mar 5, 2006
I didn’t realize how deeply Cal had infected the fanbase.

We got intoxicated with winning in May-August, dominating the recruiting headlines, and being preseason darlings. Of course, that rarely carried over into March and actual results. Still, we got to say, “Swaggy Cal” and other totally idiotic statements that made us feel good about ourselves.

Coach Mark Pope may not work out. That remains to be seen. However, we knew Cal wouldn’t work out. He was never winning anything more here besides recruiting rankings and NBA draft night bragging rights. Time to lineup for your vaccination. Get ride of Cal fever that makes you delusional.

Is this in reponse to fans not being sold on Lamont Butler as a starting option? Weird thread. Don't need group-think posts when discussing basketball players. Anyone not lockstep in roster moves is really just a Cal fanboy who needs to be detoxxed of their expected recruiting ways. Yeah, ok.

Is this in reponse to fans not being sold on Lamont Butler as a starting option? Weird thread. Don't need group-think posts when discussing basketball players. Anyone not lockstep in roster moves is really just a Cal fanboy who needs to be detoxxed of their expected recruiting ways. Yeah, ok.
Always love your posts, Richie. You have seemed extremely nervous today. So yes, you were exactly who I was thinking of.

How can you sit through 15 years of Cal and not let Pope put his team together and coach one game? It’s not even May 1st for crying out loud.

Hold your horses until the derby at least

Edit: and I don’t think anyone is counting on Lamont starting.

Do I have to show my vax card to get into Rupp?

We got intoxicated with winning in May-August, dominating the recruiting headlines, and being preseason darlings. Of course, that rarely carried over into March and actual results. Still, we got to say, “Swaggy Cal” and other totally idiotic statements that made us feel good about ourselves.

Coach Mark Pope may not work out. That remains to be seen. However, we knew Cal wouldn’t work out. He was never winning anything more here besides recruiting rankings and NBA draft night bragging rights. Time to lineup for your vaccination. Get ride of Cal fever that makes you delusional.

Always love your posts, Richie. You have seemed extremely nervous today. So yes, you were exactly who I was thinking of.

How can you sit through 15 years of Cal and not let Pope put his team together and coach one game? It’s not even May 1st for crying out loud.

Hold your horses until the derby at least
Hey man, I was just saying I don't see Lamont working out as a starter. Simply because I believe personally, that you need 4 really 5 shooters on the floor to be good in 2024. I don't care if we don't get number one classes again. I'm not nervous, just talking ball.

Hey man, I was just saying I don't see Lamont working out as a starter. Simply because I believe personally, that you need 4 really 5 shooters on the floor to be good in 2024. I don't care if we don't get number one classes again. I'm not nervous, just talking ball.
I know you love the Cats, man. You are a long time poster here. I just want to see us give Coach Pope a chance to do his thing. I’m not stoked if Lamont is our starting PG, but then again, he has something that no PG at UK has since 2015. A Final Four.

I do agree, we are “just talking ball”. 😃

This!! Cal’s system will not work, has not worked, and won’t in Fayetteville. It’s like we have amnesia on how it took a player like AD to overcome Cal’s ineptitude as a coach to win a championship. To borrow his words, that was the best version of Cal.. he only got worse as time went on. I’m tired of fake accolades, burger boys, and draft night celebrations. Pope loves UK like all of us, this is exactly the reason he will be successful,

What kind of results does Pope have in March?

He can still win and can still put together a good roster this season, but he's absolutely learning on the job and that's a significant cause for concern.

Is the Supreme Cook also getting on Board? Just want to make sure everyone is invited to the party( vaccination).

Everyone should have known going into this thing that we would have a couple of years where we have to rebuild. Cal left nothing in the kitchen so the next two seasons could be rough. I was willing to accept this when getting rid of Cal and I still am.

Cal wounded UK deeply. Healing will take time.

Will take a while to undo 15 yrs of mental training that devalued grown ass tough veterans men like Butler in favor of skinny weak flashy McD AA frosh who will be 1 & done.

Butler hit a game winner in a Final 4. Our packs of #1 classes had b holes tighter than snare drums and lost in the 1st round.

MORE THAN ONCE
IN THE SEC TOURNEY AS WELL

I wouldn't say so. It's because fans (who I argue are A LOT of "draft class" fans rather than tournament fans) are upset that McNeely went to UCONN. Who WOULDN'T want to be a part of a PROVEN winning program, under a guy who DEMANDS accountability and personal success?

Fanbase drank Cals kool aid more than anybody else. No longer high and dealing with the sobering reality of having Pope as head coach. A coach who has never a tourney game or sent.a player to the NBA.

We?
Sounds like you’re just another one of Cals sun shiners who overly hyped every class coming in. Then would get mad when someone posted something criticizing.

• Haha
Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Will take a while to undo 15 yrs of mental training that devalued grown ass tough veterans men like Butler in favor of skinny weak flashy McD AA frosh who will be 1 & done.

Butler hit a game winner in a Final 4. Our packs of #1 classes had b holes tighter than snare drums and lost in the 1st round.

MORE THAN ONCE
IN THE SEC TOURNEY AS WELL
Amen. I’m so ready to watch 3 and 4 yr players who have matured into men from college level training, guided nutrition and the rigors of collegiate competition.

He can still win and can still put together a good roster this season, but he's absolutely learning on the job and that's a significant cause for concern.
Is his buyout still $33 Million after 5 years of futility though?

Bottom line. Change had to come and his name is Mark Pope. Let’s give our guy a chance.

Hey man after the last 5 years of having DJ Wagner, Savhir Wheeler, Devin Askew, and Ashton Hagans as our starting PGs you can say we were a little spoiled at PG

Maybe your post is sarcasm and I'm too tired to get it. IMO We haven't been "spoiled" since Ulis iirc. There have been good ones, but spoiled... I think of Ulis, and of course a few before him. Can't remember if Teague was before or after Ulis. Need sleep.

Have a great weekend, yall.

Is his buyout still $33 Million after 5 years of futility though?

Bottom line. Change had to come and his name is Mark Pope. Let’s give our guy a chance.

No but our crack negotiator made him one of the highest paid coaches in the nation and a 75% buyout for the school.

Pope hopefully turns out to be great. We all hope that because we all love him. Bottom line though - he was a massive risk at this point.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
The overreaction can cut both ways. There probably are still some fans adjusting to not loading up on projected lottery picks, but having questions about how our roster is fitting together so far doesn’t mean you’re a Cal fanboy or otherwise a bad fan.

Like I said in the other thread, I like Butler in a vacuum, but maybe a little less if he’s expected to start alongside Williams and Osobor, which is what looks possible right now. That’s a tough lineup that will play some defense, but it’s hard to imagine where the scoring consistently comes from unless we can get somehow get a transcendent wing player from somewhere. Cal wasn’t getting it done, but I’m not sure having the kind of lineup Tennessee would run out there in recent years when they didn’t have Knecht is actually any kind of huge improvement. Hopefully I end up being wrong.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk

Seems like he’s changing his tune at Arkansas. The Reason?? Now he’s gotta beat Kentucky. If he stayed here he would have brought all 7 freshmen with his washRinseRepeat last year. Now he’s going highest bidder in the portal. Something he said he would not do his whole time here. Coach Cal has a new mission. Beat Kentucky. Getting guys drafted just dropped to number 2.

Guys we got to get past the first weekend of the tournament. We’ve got to get past the first game of the SEC tournament. Cal wasn’t doing that…despite having lottery picks. It’s time to accept this and move on. It was great when Cal was doing both, getting the best players and actually winning, but he wasn’t anymore. UKMB had to try a different approach. Time will tell the tale, not a few Cal apologists. Obviously, Pope understands what has to be done here, and it’s just a matter of whether or not he can get it accomplished. But two weeks into his tenure isn’t the time to access his progress.

Cal was a disaster for 15 years, Gillispie was a disaster, Tubby was awful, Pitino was good after probation, Eddie Sutton was a disaster, Joe B Hall had a winning percentage than Tubby and Cal and less accomplishments than Cal, I guess we hand out hats on Rupps titles in 48, 49, 58, and 66. UK seems to have been a disaster since the game was integrated according to UK fans.

The only way to get this program back to the point that we all want was to doze it to the ground. Gonna be some growing pains and it will take some time but Pope will eventually have a team with a solid core that he can supplement with some highly sought after portal guys. If you don’t have patience then you’re in for a world of pain, just keep reminding yourself of Cal’s attitude toward the SEC tournament and his early dance exits. I can guarantee you’ll never hear Mark Pope blow off any game as “not important” and say it doesn’t matter until March.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Seems like he’s changing his tune at Arkansas. The Reason?? Now he’s gotta beat Kentucky. If he stayed here he would have brought all 7 freshmen with his washRinseRepeat last year. Now he’s going highest bidder in the portal. Something he said he would not do his whole time here. Coach Cal has a new mission. Beat Kentucky. Getting guys drafted just dropped to number 2.
Nah mission one will always be his mission. His coaching has been exposed, his losses have added up. He now only cares to say he had 100 draft picks, 60 first rounders with 1 title to show for it:

Everyone that was paying attention knew that when "His Highness" left UK, there would be a rebuilding (clean up the mess he created) phase for UKBB.

UKBB is in that phase now. It won't get cleaned up overnight.
We need alien technology to speed this up.

They always gave me Librium when inpatient detoxing. Average stay was 6 or 7 days. Only was in the ICU once, but there were a bunch of pills involved.

I don’t know why I’m single.

I disagree, he is not learning on the job. He is trying to turn a program around after 8-9 years of a coach tearing it down. He will never be like CCC, he will build a program that we can be proud of. Not a G league for the the NBA with kids that play for the name on the back not the front. I am proud to say that CCC leaving this program is the best thing that has happened here since 2012 and 2015. The hog pen will be ready to get rid of him too in a couple 3 years. He is a washed up recruiter without the ability to coach the game.

The only way to get this program back to the point that we all want was to doze it to the ground. Gonna be some growing pains and it will take some time but Pope will eventually have a team with a solid core that he can supplement with some highly sought after portal guys. If you don’t have patience then you’re in for a world of pain, just keep reminding yourself of Cal’s attitude toward the SEC tournament and his early dance exits. I can guarantee you’ll never hear Mark Pope blow off any game as “not important” and say it doesn’t matter until March.
Graze it to the ground? I don’t think you know how basketball works. What exactly are we grazing to the ground? This board virtue signals Cal hate and it’s so funny to watch. Imagine having to pretend we’ve been awful for 15 to score message board points.

Fanbase drank Cals kool aid more than anybody else. No longer high and dealing with the sobering reality of having Pope as head coach. A coach who has never a tourney game or sent.a player to the NBA.
You have zero clue.

Graze it to the ground? I don’t think you know how basketball works. What exactly are we grazing to the ground? This board virtue signals Cal hate and it’s so funny to watch. Imagine having to pretend we’ve been awful for 15 to score message board points.
Another jester.

Reactions: bluecoon1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT