ADVERTISEMENT

Face the facts.

To everyone wanting Cal gone and thinking we'd be a championship team with a different coach needs to check themselves. Take a serious look at the talent on this team and ask yourself this. Are we really capable of winning a title? What was Oscar before he came to UK? He was an average basketball player with limited skills and athletic ability. Our two 5 star freshmen are far from capable of taking over games, Reeves is a good shooter who has exceeded expectations, Toppin has improved every year he has been here, but was hardly a player to lead this team, Collins is a 5 star recruit with zero basketball skills and solely relies on athletic ability, Frederick was a great shooter with no athletic ability fighting injuries ever since he's been here, Ware has never been good, Wheeler is too small and can't shoot or go to his right, Thiero has room to grow, but isn't ready, and Onyenso is very raw with tons of potential, but will take a few years to fully develop. Add to that the fact that this team can't seem to hit critical free throws and you have a recipe for being exactly what they are. If they get hot they can do some damage, but don't count on it because the overall talent isn't there. Next year is a critical year for Cal though, so if he sucks next year I might start to side with you critics.
Who put this team together

Because he basically had no choice. A lot of top tier recruits were lost to other teams the past few years.
he had no choice ????
picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

To everyone wanting Cal gone and thinking we'd be a championship team with a different coach needs to check themselves. Take a serious look at the talent on this team and ask yourself this. Are we really capable of winning a title? What was Oscar before he came to UK? He was an average basketball player with limited skills and athletic ability. Our two 5 star freshmen are far from capable of taking over games, Reeves is a good shooter who has exceeded expectations, Toppin has improved every year he has been here, but was hardly a player to lead this team, Collins is a 5 star recruit with zero basketball skills and solely relies on athletic ability, Frederick was a great shooter with no athletic ability fighting injuries ever since he's been here, Ware has never been good, Wheeler is too small and can't shoot or go to his right, Thiero has room to grow, but isn't ready, and Onyenso is very raw with tons of potential, but will take a few years to fully develop. Add to that the fact that this team can't seem to hit critical free throws and you have a recipe for being exactly what they are. If they get hot they can do some damage, but don't count on it because the overall talent isn't there. Next year is a critical year for Cal though, so if he sucks next year I might start to side with you critics.
At the beginning of the season, would you have traded our roster for either Purdue’s or Marquette’s roster?

Cal probably can't get these players. Cal's brand is faded and kids aren't buying into it. Add to that ... he can't coach and why would anyone waste their time here?
The class of 2023 was 10 years old during that 2015 team. They were like first graders when we last won it all. That stuff plays in the eyes. Everything is a 'What have you done for me lately?" mindset when it comes to recruiting. We have been nothing special to these kids since they were in elementary school.

Yes, and he did exactly what all the couch potato coaches wanted. He recruited 3-4 year guys along with recruiting 3-4 year portal guys. The other contributing factor is the fanbase running players and recruits off. We could have used Brooks this year.
Did the fans run off Hopkins?

3-4 year players Fans definitely want, but there also has to be some improvement each year or it does no good really.

What player on the roster is a 3-4 year guy who has gotten better?

Reactions: dl51344
I do agree that injuries have killed us at the guard position but with the way the last few years have gone, Cal doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with those sorts of excuses at this point
Agree……look at Cal’s SEC and NCAA tourney record the last 4 years and you see a complacent ineffective motivator and coach! If he doesn’t make a deep run in this year’s NCAA tournament then show him the door!! Hire Buzz Williams, the Baylor coach, Stackhouse or another proven college coach/winner who‘s teams play sound tough defense and execute a good offense!!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluedon
Say what you want Cal brought this talent in, Cal really has not done much since 2015, he had that one run but lost to UNC. Watch this team, they are poorly coached period.

We are in the cook a pot of soup every year and see how it is. Cal dumps it out and says something is wrong everytime and say I'll cook another one later. 5years later he's still yet to cook up anything other than shit and everyone is tired of smelling it. Win or get the hell out of the way. Quit cooking shit soup every year and making the fanbase eat it.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Agree……look at Cal’s SEC and NCAA tourney record the last 4 years and you see a complacent ineffective motivator and coach! If he doesn’t make a deep run in this year’s NCAA tournament then show him the door!! Hire Buzz Williams, the Baylor coach, Stackhouse or another proven college coach/winner who‘s teams play sound tough defense and execute a good offense!!
I wouldn’t want Buzz or Stackhouse at this point but I’d take Scott Drew Forsure

I’m middle.

Some are ate up with literal hatred of cal that it’s just sad but he also needs to make quick changes or realize he could reinvigorate his career elsewhere. But he’s earned the rope to either hang a banner or hang himself.

Honestly going into the game I thought the two best outcomes for the tournament would be either: winning it - and then gaining some swagger or: losing game one and getting a back against the wall mentality because that’s the only time we’ve looked really pretty good but regardless,

We have no dogs. We have no one that can get a basket to kill a run. Nor anyone who’s smart enough to know to work for an easy basket and not jack up threes or on the line twos when a team is on a run. But we simply have no fricken dogs that can Will their way to a basket. Nor do we have anyone who can control a game with their dribble. Cut the lane and dribble out then circle back in just eating clock and/or letting the offensive motion setup a mismatch.

Also our best player Oscar is just awful sometimes. At one point we missed two front end of one and one and Oscar turnover .. all the while giving up one point to Vandy but not eating into the lead at all because of just stupid basketball.

Cal needs to value toughness and brains in some players THAT GET playing time and give us some kids THAT WILL get some run that can grow for four years and eventually be the guys we can rely on year after year to just simply play good sound fundamental basketball at the most important moments. To step to the line and hit a fackin free throw. It’s ridiculous. If he can’t commit to that I don’t have any interest in anything past next year.

Cal is paid the big buck to be responsible for the good or bad. He is in total control. If not enough player he should have filled his roaster and develops bench. If I took a job from someone and the products I use turnout faulty I could not use that as excuse to the person who hired me. It is totally on me. Same with a team of players who doesn't pan out. The coach is totally and only to blame.

I’m middle.

Some are ate up with literal hatred of cal that it’s just sad but he also needs to make quick changes or realize he could reinvigorate his career elsewhere. But he’s earned the rope to either hang a banner or hang himself.

Honestly going into the game I thought the two best outcomes for the tournament would be either: winning it - and then gaining some swagger or: losing game one and getting a back against the wall mentality because that’s the only time we’ve looked really pretty good but regardless,

We have no dogs. We have no one that can get a basket to kill a run. Nor anyone who’s smart enough to know to work for an easy basket and not jack up threes or on the line twos when a team is on a run. But we simply have no fricken dogs that can Will their way to a basket. Nor do we have anyone who can control a game with their dribble. Cut the lane and dribble out then circle back in just eating clock and/or letting the offensive motion setup a mismatch.

Also our best player Oscar is just awful sometimes. At one point we missed two front end of one and one and Oscar turnover .. all the while giving up one point to Vandy but not eating into the lead at all because of just stupid basketball.

Cal needs to value toughness and brains in some players THAT GET playing time and give us some kids THAT WILL get some run that can grow for four years and eventually be the guys we can rely on year after year to just simply play good sound fundamental basketball at the most important moments. To step to the line and hit a fackin free throw. It’s ridiculous. If he can’t commit to that I don’t have any interest in anything past next year.
Needs more time the guy has had 14 YEARS.

Needs more time the guy has had 14 YEARS.
14 years and no success? Wow

See the ones who’s only meaning or joy is Kentucky basketball are struggling I get it. It’s been a rough 4 or so years. Title contender wiped from Covid. Terrible Covid year. And then another team thought to be a contender getting a two seed and getting knocked out - even though anyone with a brain knew we weren’t going far unless somehow about three players overcame injuries very quickly.

I get it. That’s a long time for someone’s entire method of having joy to be continuously let down.

But, good job. Your reply made it absolutely clear the level of stupidity some have.

Reactions: Doodah859
14 years and no success? Wow

See the ones who’s only meaning or joy is Kentucky basketball are struggling I get it. It’s been a rough 4 or so years. Title contender wiped from Covid. Terrible Covid year. And then another team thought to be a contender getting a two seed and getting knocked out - even though anyone with a brain knew we weren’t going far unless somehow about three players overcame injuries very quickly.

I get it. That’s a long time for someone’s entire method of having joy to be continuously let down.

But, good job. Your reply made it absolutely clear the level of stupidity some have.

Nonsense. All excuses for Calipari being terrible at his job and underperforming. Some of you just won’t accept reality. People’s personal lives lol. Good Grief.

He can’t shoot for them. They aren’t talented. He brought them here but he wanted other players (he missed). Not his fault they went elsewhere.

Now it’s our personal lives that are the problem

You know when the excuses are this bad, he sucks.

Every single team this year has multiple flaws, none are really that much above the rest. We should absolutely be competing for a final 4 this year. The only difference is the coach and the way teams play to their strengths.
Amen brother, and our coach is clueless in playing to our strengths and masking our weaknesses. And damn that’s infuriating.

This. Cal has not assembled a good group, not enough depth and at times has been outcoached. I agree with all of that but when I see people saying “sooooo much talent” I am like wtf?

Yes, in the beginning, from August to October of 2022, we all had visions of competing for a national championship. That, despite a quick understanding that no one seemed to have spent much time in a weight room, and we quickly found out that lots of things were lacking despite worlds of hype. As such, this year has been inconsistent and disappointing, much akin to our season and expectations for football that fell well short of our collective desires. Others have lost too, but many exceeded expectations and here we sit again living through yet another set of difficult and at times embarrassing circumstances with a largely underachieving -- and I think, very coddled -- team. We are 21-11, performed poorly against a non-NCAA team Vanderbilt, and have not been able to handle adversity well all year, making it much too easy on ourselves to "let go of the rope."

Hahaha!!! You said that like Tubby could coach?

Ok, what did Tubby do anywhere else?

And Cal owns Pitino.

Pitino had a similar roster at Iona this year. What did he do?

No one is doing better with this team that can’t guard.
It’s funny you dog on Tubby so much because starting with the 16-17 team Cal’s numbers mirror Tubby’s.

People are justified in thinking Tubby was a good coach. Because he was. What people mainly criticize about Tubby was his laziness on the recruiting trail. Tubby mainly signed 2-3 star recruits with the occasional 4 star sprinkled in with the only exception being the Rondo, Morris, Crawford, etc recruiting class. But despite being so lazy in recruiting he really did more than what many expected of his rosters.

Cal on the other hand is criticized for the exact opposite. Incredible on the recruiting trail. Certainly the best recruiter I’ve ever seen in college basketball before K came in and beat him at his own game. But even then Cal was still getting top 3 classes of mostly 5 stars with the occasional 4 star sprinkled in. However, despite having 5 stars on the bench he still finds a way to disappoint the fans and perform below expectations set by the fans and national media.

This wasn’t always the case, prior to the disappointment of 2015 Cal appeared to be the best of both worlds: the best recruiter and a capable coach. But since 2015 he has under delivered in the coaching department.

Tubby never missed the NCAA tournament btw. Your boy Cal has missed it twice and one of those times he wasn’t even invited to the NIT.

Save it Brad!

TWO Elite Eights in the last seven years. That's REALITY. Cow's performance is not acceptable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT