ADVERTISEMENT

Face the facts.

Jan 21, 2013
To everyone wanting Cal gone and thinking we'd be a championship team with a different coach needs to check themselves. Take a serious look at the talent on this team and ask yourself this. Are we really capable of winning a title? What was Oscar before he came to UK? He was an average basketball player with limited skills and athletic ability. Our two 5 star freshmen are far from capable of taking over games, Reeves is a good shooter who has exceeded expectations, Toppin has improved every year he has been here, but was hardly a player to lead this team, Collins is a 5 star recruit with zero basketball skills and solely relies on athletic ability, Frederick was a great shooter with no athletic ability fighting injuries ever since he's been here, Ware has never been good, Wheeler is too small and can't shoot or go to his right, Thiero has room to grow, but isn't ready, and Onyenso is very raw with tons of potential, but will take a few years to fully develop. Add to that the fact that this team can't seem to hit critical free throws and you have a recipe for being exactly what they are. If they get hot they can do some damage, but don't count on it because the overall talent isn't there. Next year is a critical year for Cal though, so if he sucks next year I might start to side with you critics.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be an either/or thing with whether we blame Cal or whether we blame the players/talent level. Everyone is at fault, including Cal for not putting us in positions to win games. Especially defensively.

I'm not as anti-Cal as most on this board are, but he deserves a lot of blame. But I side with you in that I still have hope that we can win a couple games this year in the tourney and have a great season next year. Maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment but what choice do I have

Everything you’ve said is on Coach Cal, he put this team together and ultimately the overall and complete responsibility starts and ends with him.
To be fair, Cal didn't have much to choose from as we lost out on some great recruits the past few years. Next year is the first time in a long while that our recruiting class is legit and reminiscent of the early days when he took over. No excuses next year. We have to make at least the final eight.

To everyone wanting Cal gone and thinking we'd be a championship team with a different coach needs to check themselves. Take a serious look at the talent on this team and ask yourself this. Are we really capable of winning a title? What was Oscar before he came to UK? He was an average basketball player with limited skills and athletic ability. Our two 5 star freshmen are far from capable of taking over games, Reeves is a good shooter who has exceeded expectations, Toppin has improved every year he has been here, but was hardly a player to lead this team, Collins is a 5 star recruit with zero basketball skills and solely relies on athletic ability, Frederick was a great shooter with no athletic ability fighting injuries ever since he's been here, Ware has never been good, Wheeler is too small and can't shoot or go to his right, Thiero has room to grow, but isn't ready, and Onyenso is very raw with tons of potential, but will take a few years to fully develop. Add to that the fact that this team can't seem to hit critical free throws and you have a recipe for being exactly what they are. If they get hot they can do some damage, but don't count on it because the overall talent isn't there. Next year is a critical year for Cal though, so if he sucks next year I might start to side with you critics.
Cal recruited the players big hoss.

Man, CAL PUT THIS TEAM AND STAFF TOGETHER. There is absolutely no one else to blame. This is his fault. This is how he builds a roster. This guy is trash with his offense and inability to get shooters or play a style that benefits them.

It's always athleticism valued over actual high basketball IQ players.

Are you serious? Who put the team together? Cal. Who is the coach/leader of the team? Cal. You must not understand what it means to be a leader. Failures are your responsibility. Period. Fact of the matter is this program has become a failure and it is 100% squarely on Calipari’s shoulders. He must go. It is absolutely mind boggling how anyone can still support and defend this guy.

Just about all of our issues are on Cal’s shoulders. But he’s gonna leave exactly when he himself decides to and everyone needs to make peace with that. We also better hope that he leaves the program in pretty good shape or replacing him with the best possible candidate could prove difficult.

I wish cal did a lot of things differently but he’s not going to so the least he can do is win the way he did for the first 7 years. Can he still win big? Yes. Will he? Man I hope so

Reactions: G-PIP
You do realize that Cal could win with this team if he would adjust to the players, right? That's what angers fans the most.

To be fair, Cal didn't have much to choose from as we lost out on some great recruits the past few years. Next year is the first time in a long while that our recruiting class is legit and reminiscent of the early days when he took over. No excuses next year. We have to make at least the final eight.
He had no excuses this year. He had FIVE fvcking scholarship seniors and the NPOY. Good Lord. 🤦‍♂️

Not to mention Cal/staff has been horrible at developing players the past few years. He hasn't had the caliber of freshman like he had in 2012....those players were so talented they were simply plug/play, much like Brandon Miller at Bama....that kid is Elite.
Yep and Cal quit recruiting him. That’s the ONE I really wanted. Maybe he has character flaws, idk.

• Wow
Reactions: ala_kat2
Cal built this crooked, unbalanced mess of a team.

This team was overhyped in the preseason, I was guilty of it too. But I don’t think the talent equals the record. The rotations, minutes, and game planning has been a mess all season.

After winning 9 games I thought Cal had three years to make a FF and have a shot at a title. Seems like a long shot this year, so he better hope he can put a team together for next year. If we are going to primarily depend of all freshman, it will be rough.

The seat around Cal is only going get hotter, especially when he makes the dumb comments about not watching tape or saying it’s okay to lose. This is UK, not a Sunday rec league. He is creating new records that I thought weren’t possible at UK.

everyone thought this team was going to be great this year, even all the armchair coaches on this site.
Toppin did not become the All-SEC player we thought, Wallace and Livingston weren’t ready for big-time basketball and teams learned how to play against Oscar effectively.
We lost some early tough match-ups and it took something away from this team. Then, it seemed as if every time we got something rolling, key players started missing games with injuries.
The whole time there is this annoying drone from the part of the fan base that whines about the coach, even calling out those fans that remained faithful to the program.
So, to them I want to offer a sincere STFU

everyone thought this team was going to be great this year, even all the armchair coaches on this site.
Toppin did not become the All-SEC player we thought, Wallace and Livingston weren’t ready for big-time basketball and teams learned how to play against Oscar effectively.
We lost some early tough match-ups and it took something away from this team. Then, it seemed as if every time we got something rolling, key players started missing games with injuries.
The whole time there is this annoying drone from the part of the fan base that whines about the coach, even calling out those fans that remained faithful to the program.
Imagine being this guy

The roster is poorly constructed and that's directly on Cal.

UK fans need to watch more basketball on a regular basis to see the actual talent other teams have. Watching random games late at night, on weekends, you name it, it was so easy to see this group lacked the talent to compete for a title right away. Wallace and Livingston would have had to be Knight and MKG caliber for a title run. Toppin needed to become 1st team all SEC in addition to Oscar being steady and consistent. The preseason rankings, which are stupid, are just going to keep happening when Cal lands 5-star recruits. Doesn't mean they're legit.

I wish I had thought of the team this way. Excellent post.

Lol. If he sucks next year you MIGHT side with us critics???

I think you should give him at least 5 more years of suckage

Now I’m confused. When we beat Arkansas and all the Calipari Boys rode in on their high horse to talk about how we were the hottest team in basketball it was talked about how we did have the talent. But now that we’ve been embarrassed again by Vandy, suddenly we don’t have the talent.

I can’t keep up with the Cal defenders. Bottom line, he built the roster. He hired the assistant coaches. He gets paid 9 million. The buck starts and stop with Cal

Thank you Oprah.

I will tell you that Tubby Smith or Rick Pitino would take this team to the Elite Eight in my opinion because the would have run offensive and defensive schemes to fit the personnel.
Hahaha!!! You said that like Tubby could coach?

Ok, what did Tubby do anywhere else?

And Cal owns Pitino.

Pitino had a similar roster at Iona this year. What did he do?

No one is doing better with this team that can’t guard.

Omg you are completely lost. I couldn’t imagine trying to navigate anything with your brain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT