ADVERTISEMENT

Excited About Hamdan

It's fine to have that opinion, but when you listen to DC's in the press conferences they always talk about how difficult it is to prepare for teams that incorporate so much motion. If it didn't work, then the Shanahan tree would be dead, but it is the opposite.

OTOH, your point about making mistakes is valid, so the OC needs to measure confusion caused towards the defense vs confusion caused towards his own guys which may result in pre snap penalties or missed assignments. That's why Scan failed. He didn't even attempt to dumb it down for his college players, so he got canned. Hamadan made it clear in the press conference, that he's still going to do those things, but he is acutely aware that he must also keep it just simple enough to limit offensive mistakes. So he said all the right things, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Again I agree on motion. It's an incredible tool. So is shifting only before the snap. It's the shift then the motion that's wasted.

Early on shifts through defenses off but now it's just a given. So much that Saban remarked how it was challenging for them to defend Michigan because they just lined up and ran the play.

Motions can reveal coverage and dictate matchups. It's a great tool. Just abandon the shift then motion.

SIAP
iu

I am not sure how I feel about Hamdan....but here are the facts
- 2023 UK scored 29 pts a game for 56th in country
- 2023 UK turnover..20 loss fumbles/Int...which was 86th in country

So I think last season UK was a bit better than average scoring but worse than average in giving the ball away...so when I put it all together...UK was sort average offense to me. I could care less about snaps per game, total yards, time of possession. Just are you scoring vs. how many turnovers are you giving up that hurt the defense.

So will Hamdan outperform that....I don't know. But that is how I'll judge him,

I am not sure how I feel about Hamdan....but here are the facts
- 2023 UK scored 29 pts a game for 56th in country
- 2023 UK turnover..20 loss fumbles/Int...which was 86th in country

So I think last season UK was a bit better than average scoring but worse than average in giving the ball away...so when I put it all together...UK was sort average offense to me. I could care less about snaps per game, total yards, time of possession. Just are you scoring vs. how many turnovers are you giving up that hurt the defense.

So will Hamdan outperform that....I don't know. But that is how I'll judge him,
Following that logic, you'd have to also account for turnovers gained by our defense and short fields provided for easier scores. A defense that excels in TOs will make the offensive scoring numbers look much better. Wouldn't offensive efficiency be a better metric if you don't have a formula to cover both sides of the turnover issue?

Reactions: THE_OAK
Following that logic, you'd have to also account for turnovers gained by our defense and short fields provided for easier scores. A defense that excels in TOs will make the offensive scoring numbers look much better. Wouldn't offensive efficiency be a better metric if you don't have a formula to cover both sides of the turnover issue?
True...our defensive scores, special teams, etc...go into that points scored per game stat (as do short fields they generate by getting TOS). What specific offensive efficiency metric are you talking about though?

I guess I like to keep it simple and imagine that those defensive/special team scores aren't swaying scores that much compared to what other teams generate from their defense/special teams. And fans got so enamored with offensive plays per game/running the play clock down....I get it was frustrating but was it that big of a deal? I was more pissed with the dropped passes first part of season, Leary was Mr TIpped passes constantly, etc...

So in the end, to me, just score the ball when you've got it and don't screw up with all the TOs (that certainly lose games when you lose the TO battle most games).....that is easier to compare. So Hamdan needs to keep get to 29 pts a game and less than 1.5 TOs per game to beat last year's offense. It's sort of that simple.

Reactions: satcheluk
Offense is offense. Defense is defense. Special teams is special teams.

What I look at as important offensive stats are these-
General yardage
Scoring efficiency in red zone
Sacks allowed
TOs
3 and out series
And
Do you turn what the defense (TOs) and ST (field position) gives you into TDs?

The other things are
Usage of personnel and the field of play
Do you use all available weapons?
Do you make the other team defend the entire field?
What plays do you call AND when?
Is it easy to tell what youre going to run?
Is your QB going through reads or locking onto a receiver from the snap?
If your running RP0, does your QB actually READ THE DEFENSE or decide ahead of time what they're going to do?

You can put up 500 yds of offense per game and still lose in conference games.

What I do want is this-
I want my coach to MAKE the OTHER TEAM stop our offense rather than pulling back on the reigns because of ANY lead or because there is only 60 seconds left til halftime. Tired of that nonsense. Let the frckn horses run

I think, based on what Hamdan stated in his first presser, that we've got just the man for the job. Let's hope he can deliver on his intentions this year and/or by next. I think we've upgraded at OC if he delivers on most of what he said were his goals.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Offense is offense. Defense is defense. Special teams is special teams.

What I look at as important offensive stats are these-
General yardage
Scoring efficiency in red zone
Sacks allowed
TOs
3 and out series
And
Do you turn what the defense (TOs) and ST (field position) gives you into TDs?

The other things are
Usage of personnel and the field of play
Do you use all available weapons?
Do you make the other team defend the entire field?
What plays do you call AND when?
Is it easy to tell what youre going to run?
Is your QB going through reads or locking onto a receiver from the snap?
If your running RP0, does your QB actually READ THE DEFENSE or decide ahead of time what they're going to do?
So you’ve listed 13 metrics of how to access how good an offensive coordinator is…none of which is points per game…got it!

I’ll not ask you an algebra question anytime soon 😀

True...our defensive scores, special teams, etc...go into that points scored per game stat (as do short fields they generate by getting TOS). What specific offensive efficiency metric are you talking about though?

I guess I like to keep it simple and imagine that those defensive/special team scores aren't swaying scores that much compared to what other teams generate from their defense/special teams. And fans got so enamored with offensive plays per game/running the play clock down....I get it was frustrating but was it that big of a deal? I was more pissed with the dropped passes first part of season, Leary was Mr TIpped passes constantly, etc...

So in the end, to me, just score the ball when you've got it and don't screw up with all the TOs (that certainly lose games when you lose the TO battle most games).....that is easier to compare. So Hamdan needs to keep get to 29 pts a game and less than 1.5 TOs per game to beat last year's offense. It's sort of that simple.
These are the stats that gamblers look at, but even without money on the line they are relevant. Efficiency shows how effective the offense is play to play. Explosiveness, of course is long plays. Last year we were very explosive, but not effective. Benny and CRod years we were very efficient, but not explosive. Efficiency measures consistency, whereas explosiveness measure playmaker talent and execution. You want both, but I would weight efficiency more important than explosive, despite explosive being a key metric for success. You must do both. The finishing drives is affected by efficiency because if you can run in the red zone you're more likely to score a TD, but you have to be able to pass to have an effective run game in the red zone.

Key Advanced Stats for Betting College Football

OK, now to the actual stats.

Connelly and Football Outsiders boiled down the success of a football team into five factors.

• Efficiency (Success Rate)
  • Explosiveness (IsoPPP)
  • Field Position
  • Finishing Drives (Points Per Trip Inside the 40)
  • Turnovers
These factors come together to make S&P+, which rates FBS teams from 1-130 based on play-by-play performance and not wins and losses. The S&P+ numbers are usually very close to point spreads.

Success Rate (efficiency): Created by Football Outsiders, it's defined as gaining 50% of necessary yardage on first down, 70% on second down and 100% on third and fourth down.

Essentially, how often do you put yourself in a good position to move the chains? Success Rate has the highest correlation to winning games.

Explosiveness: Coaches talk about it all the time now. If you can move the ball in large chunks, and prevent your opponent from doing so, you're going to win a lot of games.

The best explosiveness measure is IsoPPP+ because it's relative to field position. A 35-yard touchdown pass is incredibly valuable because it covers all the yards remaining to score. There was no way that team could have gained more than 35 yards on that play, even if the ballcarrier was 15 yards clear of the closest defender.

CFBStats.com also has raw big play numbers, like total plays of 10-plus yards, all the way to 90-plus yards.

Points per trip inside the 40 (finishing drives): The "red zone" being defined at the 20-yard line is kind of arbitrary. The 40-yard line is a better measure, because it's when a team could conceivably score points via a field goal or eventually a touchdown.

Just look at the points a team expects to score on 1st-and-10, by yard line. It really starts to get serious once you get to your opponent's 40.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT