ADVERTISEMENT

"Evidence that a 9 game schedule is on the horizon "

Ah, you're a narrative type of guy! But first the facts though...

2023:
We had 58,286 against Ball State at Noon
We had 61,876 against EKU at 3pm
We had 59,456 against Akron at 7pm

2022:
Miami Ohio: 61,139 primetime Labor Day Weekend
Youngstown State: 59,308 at noon
No. Illinois: 61,579 primetime
Louisville: 58,727 at 3pm

Other years of UK/UL attendance at Kroger field...
2019: 48,336
2017: 56,186
2015: 62,512

We've had 7 of those the last 2 seasons, Louisville was the 6th most.

Seems to me...our fans show up more for the early season games in better weather than that cold Thanksgiving game against Louisville in a bad timeslot....

So now my point is proven....we'd be sacrificing games that seem to have better attendance for the Governor's Cup that is on a bad timeslot...
It’s not a sacrifice if the offset from the tv contract overwhelms it. And whether it does specifically for us or not doesn’t matter it’s about the entire conference. Largely our non con recently has sold tickets because most of those games have been prior to the start of seeing our weaknesses getting exposed so it’s been ‘win the game vs Fla.’ and everybody shows up in good weather to see us get to be 4-1 because of the hope in that. The more those games get staggered throughout the season the lower that attendance is going to be. Going to watch Ohio U at 3-4 mid year or 4-3 isn’t going to be a magnet.

I won't say we were probably the best team, I think if we played well we could have beaten any of the 4, but when we had a chance to do that, we didn't get it done. I had no issue with us getting ommited from the playoffs.

But if you think the selection committee didn't take who they thought were the 4 best teams, how do you explain a 13-0 not making the playoffs? I have no problem with the 10 P4 games on the 24 schedule. Had 10 scheduled for 25 until UCLA canceled. Posters wanting to keep the 3 cupcakes say UK needs the home games, well i saw an add the other day, 3 game package starting at 137 per ticket, 45$ a game. Do you think they are selling them for that because they are flying out the ticket booth? I know they aren't the good seats but still UK is having trouble selling them, So needing the cash from home games isn't the reason. I know UK wants to get to the playoffs, and many on here have said UK doesn't get the respect it deserves, and I agree, what makes you think that is going to change when the selection committee is looking at 9-3 or even 10-2 teams to invite to playoffs and here is UK with 3 wins over directional Michigan schools and a 6-3 conference record and a PSU with 2 wins over directional Michigan schools, a win over West Virginia and a 6-3 conference record? Resumes almost identical other than an extra P4 win.
Well if Kentucky is 9-3 per say...it depends on timing and quality of teams we beat.

Wins over:mad: Tennessee, Auburn, South Carolina, Louisville, @ Florida, Vandy
Losses: Georgia, @ Ole Miss, @ Texas

I think we'd have an outside shot at the playoff IMO.
-2021: we ended 9-3 and were #22 in the Final Ranking...a lot of that had to do with timing of our losses coming 3 in a row...then our remaining wins didn't elevate us at the time. Losing to UGA bad wasn't a killer...but then losing to Miss State & a UT team (that wasn't that good in 2021) all in a row really killed our momentum in the polls.

-2018: we were 9-3 and #14 in the final poll. #11 Team and lost to a UT team with a losing record....but unlike 2021 we didn't have a 3 game losing streak. After the Texas A&M loss....we had a bye....then beat Vandy & a really good Missouri team on the road to keep us from falling to far and got us in the top 10. Georgia wasn't a bad loss that year....UT was....but we spaced them out.

I think the eye test can tell a lot of things....like our 2018 team was a better team than 2021 due to the historic defense....2021 had some glaring flaws.

Now here's a 3rd example....2023 Missouri who finished 10-2....
-They played Memphis and Kansas State as their non-conference opponents
-Losses to LSU and Georgia were not bad losses
-Better record than our 2018 team and better resume tbh
-They finish #9 in the Final Playoff Poll & our 2018 team finished #14 with a worse record & resume

Missouri wasn't ranked to start the year....got ranked but then fell right out. They were unranked on October 14th when they played us. Finally get ranked and beat USCjr. the next week...but then fall a bit and after losing to UGA...even after blowing out UT they didn't rise too much.

The reason is that they weren't ranked early and they had a ceiling on how far the polls would let them rise....where you're ranked in the AP/Coaches poll early influences the playoff rankings heavily. Had Missouri started the year ranked #20....they would've finished higher in the polls.

Well if Kentucky is 9-3 per say...it depends on timing and quality of teams we beat.

Wins over:mad: Tennessee, Auburn, South Carolina, Louisville, @ Florida, Vandy
Losses: Georgia, @ Ole Miss, @ Texas

I think we'd have an outside shot at the playoff IMO.
-2021: we ended 9-3 and were #22 in the Final Ranking...a lot of that had to do with timing of our losses coming 3 in a row...then our remaining wins didn't elevate us at the time. Losing to UGA bad wasn't a killer...but then losing to Miss State & a UT team (that wasn't that good in 2021) all in a row really killed our momentum in the polls.

-2018: we were 9-3 and #14 in the final poll. #11 Team and lost to a UT team with a losing record....but unlike 2021 we didn't have a 3 game losing streak. After the Texas A&M loss....we had a bye....then beat Vandy & a really good Missouri team on the road to keep us from falling to far and got us in the top 10. Georgia wasn't a bad loss that year....UT was....but we spaced them out.

I think the eye test can tell a lot of things....like our 2018 team was a better team than 2021 due to the historic defense....2021 had some glaring flaws.

Now here's a 3rd example....2023 Missouri who finished 10-2....
-They played Memphis and Kansas State as their non-conference opponents
-Losses to LSU and Georgia were not bad losses
-Better record than our 2018 team and better resume tbh
-They finish #9 in the Final Playoff Poll & our 2018 team finished #14 with a worse record & resume

Missouri wasn't ranked to start the year....got ranked but then fell right out. They were unranked on October 14th when they played us. Finally get ranked and beat USCjr. the next week...but then fall a bit and after losing to UGA...even after blowing out UT they didn't rise too much.

The reason is that they weren't ranked early and they had a ceiling on how far the polls would let them rise....where you're ranked in the AP/Coaches poll early influences the playoff rankings heavily. Had Missouri started the year ranked #20....they would've finished higher in the polls.

That first sentence is exactly what I have been saying, quality of teams you beat. You have Louisville listed in wins, but none of the G5 teams. But also talking 8 game SEC schedules.

TCU wasn't ranked in the 22 preseason coaches poll, but made the playoffs. As things turned out they probably shouldn't have been there but there they were. And they certainly aren't one of the big boy teams.

Nothing anyone says here is going to determine who plays who, I do expect the SEC office to "encourage" it's members to add at least 1 opponent from one of the other power conferences because to get all the money from TV contract, which dwarfs ticket sales, the conference will have to provide as many high profile games as possible.

That first sentence is exactly what I have been saying, quality of teams you beat. You have Louisville listed in wins, but none of the G5 teams. But also talking 8 game SEC schedules.

TCU wasn't ranked in the 22 preseason coaches poll, but made the playoffs. As things turned out they probably shouldn't have been there but there they were. And they certainly aren't one of the big boy teams.

Nothing anyone says here is going to determine who plays who, I do expect the SEC office to "encourage" it's members to add at least 1 opponent from one of the other power conferences because to get all the money from TV contract, which dwarfs ticket sales, the conference will have to provide as many high profile games as possible.
I'm fine with adding more non-conference games, but the playoffs/polls need to reflect the difference in playing in the SEC/Big Ten versus the ACC & Big 12. Like I'm fine with an undefeated FSU/Clemson level teams being in those spots....but 1 & 2 loss teams like Louisville, UNC, NC State, Pitt, etc. that just have had an easy schedule don't need to be ranked high just for having a good record.

They need to be more like the NCAA basketball committee in terms of looking at analytics and strength of schedule.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
If they go 9 conference they'll go 13 overall, inevitable just too much money to be made. Regardless, it's time for UK to toss U6. If it wasn't for CM Newton U6 would've been in the OVC lo these many years. Eff'em.
Wrong, UL was saved by playing WKU and EKU. Back in the days schools had to average 17000 in home game attendance. Those schools played UL and there attendance was slightly higher than 17000 with the alumni from WKU and EKU filling up the old fairground stadium. Otherwise U6 would have been division 2 with the OVC. Then Howard came to town.

Maybe schedule IU big 10 more credibility with the polls

I’m not so sure IU’s membership in the B10 would carry much weight given IU’s historical failures. They’ve never won 10 games in a season, Only Iowa State and Vandy can claim that level of mediocrity among long-term P5 schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT