ADVERTISEMENT

Even the BPI is spitting out very odd info

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
According to the BPI, which along with KenPom, is the best model around IMO, Georgia has played the #4 Strength of Schedule. I have been thinking that the SEC has and will be the thing that brings our SOS down, but here is another SEC team with a Top SOS. So, I opened up their page expecting to see a murderer's row of OOC opponents to explain this. Here are their OOC opponents:

Georgia Tech
Stony Brook
Troy
Florida Atlantic
Gonzaga
Minnesota
Chatanooga
Colorado
Seton Hall
Mercer
Kansas State
Norfolk State

After including Arkansas and LSU, that's the 4th toughest schedule? UK has the 74th toughest schedule according to the BPI. I give up. I am no longer going to pay any attention the SOS when evaluating teams.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:
According to the BPI, which along with KenPom, is the best model around IMO, Georgia has played the #4 Strength of Schedule. I have been thinking that the SEC has and will be the thing that brings our SOS down, but here is another SEC team with a Top SOS. So, I opened up their page expecting to see a murderer's row of OOC opponents to explain this. Here are their OOC opponents:

Georgia Tech
Stony Brook
Troy
Florida Atlantic
Gonzaga
Minnesota
Chatanooga
Colorado
Seton Hall
Mercer
Kansas State
Norfolk State

After including Arkansas and LSU, that's the 4th toughest schedule? UK has the 74th toughest schedule according to the BPI. I give up. I am no longer going to pay any attention the SOS when evaluating teams.
Yes total joke . UK has played a top 10 schedule . period.

Georgia Tech, Gonzaga, Minnesota, Colorado and Seton Hall beat Kansas, Providence, Texas, UNC and UL? How is that possible?

Georgia Tech
Stony Brook
Troy
Florida Atlantic
Gonzaga
Minnesota
Chatanooga
Colorado
Seton Hall
Mercer
Kansas State
Norfolk State

I guess I don't really understand the beef?

These rankings are without bias, so where is the issue?

UGA has played 7 of the top 61 teams in the BPI and one more (@KSU at 88) in the top 100 as well. That's 8 of 14 games being played against quality teams. Not gonna take time to look up their other 6 games, but I bet they are not 300 or worse level teams which drag down your SOS a bit.

Tonight, they play the 41st team in the BPI, so I would say they have played a pretty tough schedule.

As for UK, y'all have played a tough schedule too, but I bet there are a bunch of 300ish ranked teams dragging your SOS down.

You should know by now that everyone is avoiding scheduling Mercer after what they did to Duke last year.

That'll pump up anyone's SOS schedule.

Originally posted by Friedas_Boss:

Georgia Tech
Stony Brook
Troy
Florida Atlantic
Gonzaga
Minnesota
Chatanooga
Colorado
Seton Hall
Mercer
Kansas State
Norfolk State

UGA has played 7 of the top 61 teams in the BPI and one more (@KSU at 88) in the top 100 as well. That's 8 of 14 games being played against quality teams. Not gonna take time to look up their other 6 games, but I bet they are not 300 or worse level teams which drag down your SOS a bit.

Tonight, they play the 41st team in the BPI, so I would say they have played a pretty tough schedule.

As for UK, y'all have played a tough schedule too, but I bet there are a bunch of 300ish ranked teams dragging your SOS down.
The issue is I don't understand these systems. Nobody in their right mind looks at the two schedules and thinks Georgia's is tougher, let alone 70 places tougher. Of course there is no bias in a computer model, which makes it even more perplexing. One of the strengths in the BPI was that it allowed for things that other models did not, like injuries, margin of victory, etc. But there seems to be no logic other than averaging the ranking of opponents and coming up with a mean average.

Our cupcakes drag down the SOS. Usually there's some "angle" to why we scheduling of these games, i.e. ex coach etc. I'm not sure there should be that much of a reward for playing #175 vs #290. UK ran a gauntlet of bluebloods and looked pretty good doing it.

Georgia Tech
Stony Brook
Troy
Florida Atlantic
Gonzaga
Minnesota
Chatanooga
Colorado
Seton Hall
Mercer
Kansas State
Norfolk State

The issue is I don't understand these systems. Nobody in their right mind looks at the two schedules and thinks Georgia's is tougher, let alone 70 places tougher. Of course there is no bias in a computer model, which makes it even more perplexing. One of the strengths in the BPI was that it allowed for things that other models did not, like injuries, margin of victory, etc. But there seems to be no logic other than averaging the ranking of opponents and coming up with a mean average.
I see your point, but as mentioned above, UGA has tougher cupcakes than UK.

I mean, they have to rank them somehow. I guess you could create another ranking that throws out all wins at 150 or worse and give any team that loses one of those games a Scarlett Letter, but you would only be able to rank the top 50 or so teams that way.

Actually, I kinda like that as a good way to rank the best teams. I guess you would have to wait until the end of the pre conference schedule to throw out the first rankings so you have enough data.

My take is that teams 150-300 (or whatever it goes to) should carry the same weight in the calculations. No real discernible diffference in them.

Question: If UK and another team had the exact same schedule & record, but UK won the head to head, which team would have the better SOS?

I would guess that UK would have a lower SOS than the other team, becuase we would have played more losers and they would have played more winners.

Georgia Tech
Stony Brook
Troy
Florida Atlantic
Gonzaga
Minnesota
Chatanooga
Colorado
Seton Hall
Mercer
Kansas State
Norfolk State

The first issue with your argument is assuming they are without bias. They aren't. All of these teams are given based rankings at the beginning of the season.

Originally posted by Seth C:

Georgia Tech
Stony Brook
Troy
Florida Atlantic
Gonzaga
Minnesota
Chatanooga
Colorado
Seton Hall
Mercer
Kansas State
Norfolk State

The first issue with your argument is assuming they are without bias. They aren't. All of these teams are given based rankings at the beginning of the season.
Did not know that.

Is UK ranked higher than Georgia?

Without looking, here are a couple guesses that explain it:

-Georgia has played more road and neutral site games than Kentucky which helps increase their schedule strength.

-The home game against Montana St. tugs down hard on UK's SOS.

Why should we care all that much about SOS anyway? We're a great team no matter what number is in that column.

If they incorporated a Fan Fret Factor, we would be number one in a landslide.

Originally posted by wild mandu:
Georgia Tech, Gonzaga, Minnesota, Colorado and Seton Hall beat Kansas, Providence, Texas, UNC and UL? How is that possible?
Most SOS calculations, including RPI (which is just a turd), give more credit to avoiding truly bad teams than facing truly elite teams. So a team that plays #s 50, 55, 60, 70, 75, etc... might have a better SOS than a team that plays #s 3, 7, 12, 202, 250, 315, etc...

I think that generally works with middle of the pack teams, but for the best of the best teams, the 1-3 seeds of the NCAA Tournament, looking at the elite teams they played is probably more predictive of strength of team. If an elite team is not going to have reasonable odds of losing to teams below, say, 25, then the difference for them between teams # 70 and 300 is not a real difference. But for a team closer to the bubble, that might be indicative.

The committee knows UK has played a tougher schedule due to quality wins and that is all that matters. Beating the 140th team vs. 280 is no big deal to the committee.

Plus, UGA better start winning some games, starting tonight, or they can enjoy the NIT with their "tough schedule" LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT