ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Daniels on Tom Leach's show

Poythress will not be "fine" at the 3...... his offensive game is in no way suited to play there.... defensively, he can guard opposing SF..... but he can't shoot or dribble well enough to be effective from that spot..

Eric Bossi said in the last hour he's hearing Kansas has a slight lead over Kentucky from those close to the situation he's talked too.

The constant throughout his whole recruitment has always been Kansas.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:
why so many people continue to stick Alex Poythress at the 3 spot is beyond me. He had to play that position in the platoon before he got hurt. Much like Trey Lyles, he's not a 3 at all. That's like trying to shove a boulder down a golf cup. Keep shoving and shoving and shoving a shoving. Maybe that boulder will give. Maybe Poythress will develop some ball skills.

sick.r191677.gif
At this point it is not in Poythress's or our best interest to make him play the three . It has been tried and only magnifies his weaknesses. The four spot , on the other hand , magnifies his strengths.

Cal has 4 spots to be filled. How about talking about who you do think we get. Maker, J. Murray reclassify, Tai W coming in 2nd semester, etc.

I don't think we get Ingram or newman now. Maybe this can help us with J. Brown. As a SF, Brown could get a lot of scoring chances at UK next year. I don't think that Addidas will be a factor here in this case. Otherwise, his list would have been cut weeks ago.

Is Diallo better at the 4 than AP? If so, AP would be coming off the bench. AP does not have a consistent mid range shot and can not handle the ball of the perimeter. AP is good in transition and explosive plays. I don't want to run an offensive with him being the first or second option in a half set.

Ideally, I would like to have as many scorers on the floor as possible. (Murray, Mulder, Brown, Diallo or Maker) GBB

If we add Diallo and Mulder than I will be ecstatic. That makes us at least a top 3 team. I think Willis, Lee and Hawkins can definitely fill in any other holes.

I like Poythress at the 3 because Cal likes him at the 3. Cal knows better than any of us. Don't be shocked when you see him back at the three next season

I would feel much better with Diallo and Mulder than I feel now.

If Newman does not give a rat's ass about winning anything, then go to MSU. He will get all the shots he wants. (And I think that is what motivates him)

People say we wouldn't score, but not sure I buy that argument.

I think the problem is we are comparing this next team to our previous team. With Diallo and Moulder, we still have 5 starters that are McDonald's All-Americans. How many other teams can say that? College basketball is going to be pretty down next year, just take a look at the top 10 teams rosters. You can say the same thing about any of them not being able to score.

Makes me madder everyday that we lost 7 guys without getting a title out of it. Sorry guys but if Mulder and Diallo are all we add then next year will be ugly. One post scorer (Skal), and only 2 good shooting guards (Ulis and Mulder) and no great scorer of any of the guards. Next year looks soooo similar to 2013. It won't be 2011 because there's no great guard that can take over a game like Knight, that's what Newman is and why he's the must have player.

I'm almost to the point where I don't even want to think about UK or the team next year. The only reason I keep checking the board is the hope of Newman surprise committing here or some others great player, not a 3 star who went JUCO or Marcus Lee's clone.

Originally posted by ZaytovenCat:
Makes me madder everyday that we lost 7 guys without getting a title out of it. Sorry guys but if Mulder and Diallo are all we add then next year will be ugly.
Fortunately we signed 3 really good players in the Fall.

If we could have just kept one of those guys things would be so different.Skal and Briscoe look great but I don't see how just those plus Matthews and possibly Mulder can replace 7 NBA guys.

Originally posted by bookerfan66:

If we could have just kept one of those guys things would be so different.Skal and Briscoe look great but I don't see how just those plus Matthews and possibly Mulder can replace 7 NBA guys.
They can't. You're not going to be able to put together another team like that.

You just hope that he can put together a team that puts us into the conversation. There are lot of unknowns. Maybe the field will be much softer. Maybe Skal will be an Anthony Davis clone. Maybe somebody like Poythress will be a surprise.

We can't blindly hope that he puts another superteam out there, because that's likely not going to happen. You just have to hope you have enough to compete at a high level. Cal has had two teams that had a lot of flaws and that were obscenely young that improved dramatically in March. But you have to have the requisite talent to do that, and you just have to hope he can get the roster there.

All teams have gaps and flaws. You just hope Kentucky's are minimal enough to be overcome as the year goes along.

This post was edited on 4/20 1:35 PM by Joneslab

All of you guys freaking out should look at who everyone else has next year.

There aren't any teams like the 2015 Big 4 of UK, Duke, Arizona or Wisconsin. Hell, Virginia may be Top 5 and they lost Anderson and Atkins.

The other possibility here is Poy comes off the bench as the 4 depending on who UK signs, that's including Diallo.

C Skal
F Diallo
F Matthews
GBriscoe
G Ullis

with Lee, Poy, Mulder, Hawkins, Willis available off the bench. I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody else.

Makes me madder everyday that we lost 7 guys without getting a title out of it. Sorry guys but if Mulder and Diallo are all we add then next year will be ugly. One post scorer (Skal), and only 2 good shooting guards (Ulis and Mulder) and no great scorer of any of the guards. Next year looks soooo similar to 2013. It won't be 2011 because there's no great guard that can take over a game like Knight, that's what Newman is and why he's the must have player.

I'm almost to the point where I don't even want to think about UK or the team next year. The only reason I keep checking the board is the hope of Newman surprise committing here or some others great player, not a 3 star who went JUCO or Marcus Lee's clone.
I hate to say it but I have to agree with a lot of ZCats post. I put the comments in bold type that I think are a little too strong. When you're the #1 recruiting class almost every year and top 5 every year you can't complain IMO. But this current group could have problems. The best team doesn't always win the title but we shouldn't have lost 7 guys and see the recruits we want going to UNLV and Miss St etc. Cal usually comes out on top in the end but we're losing the guys we want to teams that we'd normally walk over.

Originally posted by RondoBaller21:
Poythress will be fine at the 3 spot like he was before he got injured.
laugh.r191677.gif

You love watching guys travel while trying to drive and spin, try to go baseline and step out of bounds, fumble passes, drag their feet trying to get around a defender and walk, etc don't you?

Alex Poythress' game is best suited 15 feet and in, staying close to the rim for easy buckets, offensive rebounds, and put backs. The first time he tries to cross someone up next year against a good team and kicks the ball out of bounds I may throw my remote through the tv, pick the tv up, and dump it out the window, go downstairs outside, set it on fire, and put the fire out with my piss.
I'm totally with you on not wanting to see Alex at the 3, but no way Diallo comes to UK to play a backup role. I'm pretty sure Cal is selling Cheick on the idea of playing alongside Skal.

Originally posted by CHAMPCAT11:

I hate to say it but I have to agree with a lot of ZCats post. I put the comments in bold type that I think are a little too strong. When you're the #1 recruiting class almost every year and top 5 every year you can't complain IMO. But this current group could have problems. The best team doesn't always win the title but we shouldn't have lost 7 guys and see the recruits we want going to UNLV and Miss St etc. Cal usually comes out on top in the end but we're losing the guys we want to teams that we'd normally walk over.
The only comment of ZCat's I think is too strong is the second one in bold. Who is really happy with the season when we didn't get No. 9? Not me. With that team...the talent level....every position on the court covered...etc, etc. and we didn't win it all. I agree with ZCat.

i must be missing something

Ulis can score (maybe in bunches if asked to)
Briscoe can score (maybe in bunches if asked to)
Skal can score and possibly dominate at both ends
Mathews can score (go to youtube and watch a few of his games)
Poythress will get points by whatever means necessary

and we are still looking at adding 1-3 more

not to rag on you guys, but i think you are letting that FF loss cloud your judgement

You're either a troll or just really dumb.

Originally posted by RondoBaller21:

I like Poythress at the 3 because Cal likes him at the 3. Cal knows better than any of us. Don't be shocked when you see him back at the three next season
That's debatable.

Perhaps all this Newman to Mississippi State stuff is all just because he hasn't been very forthcoming with his recruitment. Up until the last month or so it was always assumed that Malik Newman was the quintessential John Calipari guy. Maybe this is all a smokescreen because he is trying to push the announcement for as long as he can so he doesn't have to deal with those dopes down where he lives giving him a bunch of grief for not staying home. Just a thought. Not sure how much I believe that it's a plausible scenario.

Anyways, I think people are forgetting just how many top players are leaving college this year. Look at all the one and done players just at UK and Duke. Jones, Okafor, Winslow, Booker, Lyles, and Towns. Then you have Rashad Vaughn, Cliff Alexander, Stanley Johnson, McCullough, Turner, Russell, Oubre, and Looney. You also had Georgia State lose a player in RJ Hunter early and I also think Harrow left.

Then you have these guys leaving early.... Mickey and Martin at LSU, Hollis-Jefferson and Ashley at Arizona, Bobby Portis, Michael Qualls, Rozier, and Harrell. Also, just a few seniors names that come to mind that are gone to are Delon Wright and Rakeem Christmas. That's a hell of a lot of firepower leaving the college game. UK will have as good a chance as any to make it to the final weekend.

Yes, that was probably a one shot deal and Cal blew it.

Guys, in BB, each team plays 5 men at a time. You need 5 good starters and three good subs , one center, one wing and one guard. if we start the year with Skal, Diallo, Lee, Poythress, Ulis, Briscoe, Mathews and Mulder, we will have one of the strongest 8 player rotations in the country.
Only UNC seems assured of being as good right now.

Who will be stronger? KU, UNC, Duke, IU,UCLA,MSU? No one knows until we get to December31. Right now, I like our chances with the 8 players we will likely have. Yes we lost 7 to the NBA but you can only play 5 at a time and you only need 3 good subs..

"I'm almost to the point where I don't even want to think about UK or the team next year."

If only I could believe that is true. The quality of the board would go up immediately. Sadly, wallowing in their own depressive misery is an addiction for some people, so we won't be that lucky.

Originally posted by EMMCAT:
Guys, in BB, each team plays 5 men at a time. You need 5 good starters and three good subs , one center, one wing and one guard. if we start the year with Skal, Diallo, Lee, Poythress, Ulis, Briscoe, Mathews and Mulder, we will have one of the strongest 8 player rotations in the country.
Only UNC seems assured of being as good right now.

Who will be stronger? KU, UNC, Duke, IU,UCLA,MSU? No one knows until we get to December31. Right now, I like our chances with the 8 players we will likely have. Yes we lost 7 to the NBA but you can only play 5 at a time and you only need 3 good subs..
Not to mention that Ulis and Skal have serious potential to be as good, or better, than any other players in the country at their respective positions. When you have 2 guys that could fit that you will be good.

Originally posted by mebeblue2:

i must be missing something

Ulis can score (maybe in bunches if asked to)
Briscoe can score (maybe in bunches if asked to)
Skal can score and possibly dominate at both ends
Mathews can score (go to youtube and watch a few of his games)
Poythress will get points by whatever means necessary

and we are still looking at adding 1-3 more

not to rag on you guys, but i think you are letting that FF loss cloud your judgement
I don't think you're ragging on me at all. I'm fine with your take on things. As I said, Cal usually gets what we need and he may do it again this year.....but these kids saw 7 players leave and we have playing time for them right away. And the ones Cal wanted the most (at least the ones it sure looks like he wanted the most) are choosing inferior schools. I said to take away the comments I changed to bold type and if you do that I'm not really upset at all. Puzzled is a better term because I thought we would have gotten some of these guys whenever Cal wanted them to pull the trigger. Hopefully we get 1-2 that we really need.

Originally posted by DY9ASTY:

I'm realistic. Thanks for your ignorant and worthless addition to the thread.

why so many people continue to stick Alex Poythress at the 3 spot is beyond me. He had to play that position in the platoon before he got hurt. Much like Trey Lyles, he's not a 3 at all. That's like trying to shove a boulder down a golf cup. Keep shoving and shoving and shoving a shoving. Maybe that boulder will give. Maybe Poythress will develop some ball skills.

sick.r191677.gif
Alex will most likely be right back at the 3 spot if we miss on Brown and Ingram.

Please name 10 teams that have better rosters than we currently have for next season....

Originally posted by DY9ASTY:

I'm realistic. Thanks for your ignorant and worthless addition to the thread.

Chuckinden....aren't you overlooking Briscoe regarding offense...with his 22 points while feeding Diallo points that he might have had in the Jordan Classic...sounds like a shooter to me.

ADVERTISEMENT