ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Daniels on Tom Leach's show

JFCats22

All-American
Feb 3, 2015
Scout's Evan Daniels was on Tom Leach's show this morning.

He said:

Newman:likely headed to Miss St at this point. Said UK isn't totally out of the picture but he would be surprised if he chose UK.
Jaylen Brown - said there is no indication with him. No plans (per Brown's mom) to make any visits or set a date at this time. Daniels said it could be any of the 8 schools but the safe bet is an Adidas school
Ingram - not going to UK, staying in NC at either Duke or UNC
Diallo - said he is the player UK has the best shot with. UK is selling their history with bigs and making a huge push for him. Said he believes it's 50/50 between UK and St. Johns right now
Mulder - visiting UK soon, said if Cal really wants him he thinks he ends up a Cat.

Between wanting to play point, seemingly loving the attention he gets on Twitter, I think Newman goes to MSU.

He can have a statue built if he scores 6 points in a game there. Here, he would get ridiculed.

Ullis
Briscoe
Poythress
Diallo
Skal

Hawkins
Mulder
Matthews
Willis
Lee

Yeah, I like our chances with that.

Not the talent we have had in the past, but NCAA as a whole isn't as strong next year.

And I still think Cal gets Newman or Brown.

Originally posted by Blueblood22:
Between wanting to play point, seemingly loving the attention he gets on Twitter, I think Newman goes to MSU.

He can have a statue built if he scores 6 points in a game there. Here, he would get ridiculed.
Newman will get his ass kicked by UK next year...he can score 20-30 a game for a NIT at best dog crap MSU team.

Right now I'd be real happy with Diallo and Mulder. We need a little more depth in front court and a scorer. Not bad-mouthing him but Newman does not seem like a fit and hasn't impressed in the All-Star circuit. Brown would be a bonus. Never thought we could get Ingram. No mention of Maker. Is it just a given he will go overseas or not come into 2015?

Ben Roberts weighs in....

4 minutes ago
My thinking after weekend conversations:
Newman: 1. Miss St, 2. UK
Ingram: 1. Duke, 2. UNC
Diallo: 1. KU, 1a. UK
Brown: (Insert guess here).
Interesting on Diallo....clearly I hope it doesn't go down this way on the above guys. Just can't see how Cal would miss on all of these guys. However, options are running out pretty quickly.

This post was edited on 4/20 10:01 AM by JFCats22

This post was edited on 4/20 10:05 AM by JFCats22

I'll take Diallo and Mulder, and call it a day. Not a bad lineup, and we can load up again with the 2016 class.

The one thing I don't understand about Newman is when everyone says MSU because of Howland's track record with the UCLA guards....farmar, collison, westbrook, afflalo, holliday which is a good group. But when saying that, they act like that track record can't be beat, but Cal has rose, evans, wall, bledsoe, knight, young, goodwin, and soon to be booker. All of them were lottery picks. If he picks MSU fine, but don't say its because of his track record with guards versus Cal's track record. I think it's more of the fact Howland will give him the ball and let him go to work, where here Cal would play 3 guards who could all play the 1 or the 2.

Originally posted by JFCats22:
Ben Roberts weighs in....

4 minutes ago
My thinking after weekend conversations:
Newman: 1. Miss St, 2. UK
Ingram: 1. Duke, 2. UNC
Diallo: 1. KU, 1a. UK
Brown: (Insert guess here).
Interesting on Diallo....clearly I hope it doesn't go down this way on the above guys. Just can't see how Cal would miss on all of these guys. However, options are running out pretty quickly.

This post was edited on 4/20 10:01 AM by JFCats22

This post was edited on 4/20 10:05 AM by JFCats22
Ugh, If we lose another recruit to Kansas... Self hasn't made a run in the tournament since when? 2012? Terrible x and o coach!

A lineup of ullis, briscoe, Poythress, dialo, and skal would be one of the most offensively challenged groups in recent memory. Definitely one of the poorest shooting teams as only ullis and skal are servicable shooters at this point.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:
why so many people continue to stick Alex Poythress at the 3 spot is beyond me. He had to play that position in the platoon before he got hurt. Much like Trey Lyles, he's not a 3 at all. That's like trying to shove a boulder down a golf cup. Keep shoving and shoving and shoving a shoving. Maybe that boulder will give. Maybe Poythress will develop some ball skills.

sick.r191677.gif
I fully agree but sometimes you just have to get your best players on the floor.

Lyles was highly effective at times this year at the 3 when he played that position as if he were a 4. They moved Willie out and slid Lyles down low, and he started to really hurt people on the block.

Lyles is way more skilled than Poythress, particularly off the bounce, but Poythress has shown more of a perimeter game. So if Poythress is used the way Lyles was then he could be effective.

If we do sign Diallo then Diallo and Skal (assuming he's eligible) have the 4/5 locked up. If Mulder is the next-best option at guard then Poythress may have to play the 3 as he'll likely be the only logical option.

As we all know, Poythress has always been a horrendously poor ballhandler. If (big if) he shores that up then he could maybe play that position more effectively.

If you want the best players on the floor, what would your lineup be, assuming we get Diallo and Mulder.

I don't understand why any big man with a functioning brain would pick Self over Cal, regardless of whether the argument is success at the college or pro level. I'd really love to know what his sales pitch is that's so captivating and causes all these guys to repeatedly ignore his track record.

Self is one of the worst coaches in March I've ever seen, especially in the early rounds against mid-majors, and he does not prepare his "stars" for the NBA at all. Wiggins might become the first to overcome it, through no real help or development from Self.

Originally posted by BigBlueFanGA:
If you want the best players on the floor, what would your lineup be, assuming we get Diallo and Mulder.
Mulder at the 3 and Poy & Diallo sub in for each other at the 4...?

Assuming Mulder is a solid player.

Originally posted by TrollCat:
A lineup of ullis, briscoe, Poythress, dialo, and skal would be one of the most offensively challenged groups in recent memory. Definitely one of the poorest shooting teams as only ullis and skal are servicable shooters at this point.
I agree...hard to see how that team could get to 65 or 70 points.

A lot can (and hopefully will) change but this has been a pretty depressing off-season.

You forgot about Willis.

I disagree on poor shooting team. It probably will be better than this year's team. Ulis, Mulder and Briscoe will average a little over 40%,well above the average of the twins/Ulis/Booker. which was in the 37% range. (Aaron hit 31% and Andrew about 37%)

Mathews is better than most believe. He will certainly hit 35% or better..

Skal is a wonderful shot , much better than the Towns/WCS combo from beyond 12 feet.

Diallo is not much from 15 feet out but neither was the Lyles /DJ combo.

By definition, Hawkins and Willis will not see the floor unless they are hitting shots so I don't see this big downgrade when two of those being added (SKAL and Mulder) are exceptional shots. Briscoe will probably average better than the twins.

Plus Diallo is getting better by the minute. from 15 feet in. He won't be trying his hand at 3's for sure.Poythress isn't going to be jacking up threes unless he reverts to his freshman form. he will get lots of put backs and lay ups.

The issue is who takes how many shots from where. Are we talking three point shooting? 15 foot jump shots? Dunks? Driving lay ups off steals?

Originally posted by Chuckinden:

You forgot about Willis.
What about him? It's highly unlikely he will play much. I'm not sure why so many are obsessed with him.

Regardless of what some say about Diallo's offensive skillet at this point...he was dominate in both all star game and took home the Hardware. I was very impressed with him and think he is the best player in this class.

why so many people continue to stick Alex Poythress at the 3 spot is beyond me. He had to play that position in the platoon before he got hurt. Much like Trey Lyles, he's not a 3 at all. That's like trying to shove a boulder down a golf cup. Keep shoving and shoving and shoving a shoving. Maybe that boulder will give. Maybe Poythress will develop some ball skills.

sick.r191677.gif
I agree, Poythress can occaissonally hit a wide-open 3 from the corner and that's as much of a perimeter skill as he has. Poy can run the floor, defend and hit the glass - and that's IF his motor is on that evening.

We need a SF and another big to add to this class - Diallo, another true SF and Mulder would do nicely.

sick.r191677.gif
Because it's seemingly impossible for Cal to land a true SF. I have no idea why.

Originally posted by MdWIldcat55:

A lot can (and hopefully will) change but this has been a pretty depressing off-season.
Why would a person not post on this board from October to April, all through one of the exciting years in Kentucky basketball history, then immediately sign up and start posting links to every mildly anti-UK comment imaginable, while adding his own negative commentary about how 'depressing' it is to be a UK fan? Just curious. It doesn't seem to make sense.
I didn't know about this board until a friend told me about it.

Second, not sure how recapping what a national recruiting guy says is negative. It's hilarious that if anyone points out something other then puppies and rainbows about UK, then people like you start with the "trolling" "I'm a better fan than you are" "nothing other than UK/Cal worship allowed" nonsense.

I started a thread the other day about how awesome KAT was on KSR. Got like 4 replies....people only highlight what suits their weird Cal, trolling obsessions....

There's a shock coming from you two. Last year's team had it's offensive challenges in the half court. 2013 had several games they struggled to break 60. I don't think they are worse than them.

I know I don't want Poythress out there jacking 3s, trying to create from the perimeter, and watching him turn it over 3-4 times a game because he's trying to do those things.

If UK lands Mulder and Diallo then run Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder, Poythress, and Labissiere. Bring Diallo in at the 4, Lee at the 5, either sub Willis or Matthews at the 3 or slide Poythress down for 5 minutes a game tops, Hawkins subs Ulis and Briscoe and if it's Ulis then Briscoe slides to the point.
You're 100 percent right, but what makes you think, based on history, that Cal won't play Poythress a lot at the 3? He's trying to get him to the NBA.

sick.r191677.gif

Originally posted by wild mandu:

sick.r191677.gif
Because it's seemingly impossible for Cal to land a true SF. I have no idea why.
I just think it's a hard position to recruit. A lot of those guys come to college and their skills are so underdeveloped that they take some time to pan out (Tokoto, etc.). They've gotten by on their athleticism. I think Cal is trying to locate players for the most part who'll be NBA ready right out of the gate.

There are some can't-miss guys who play that spot (Wiggins, Winslow), but I think it's generally a hard position to recruit and so many of those guys tend to have to find their footing. Seems to be much easier to get it on game-changing guards and bigs.

Originally posted by RondoBaller21:
Poythress will be fine at the 3 spot like he was before he got injured.
I don't know Rondo,

38% from the field and 0% from 3.

I think we need better efficiency than that. I like him on the baseline and near the basket. I doubt he learned to dribble with that ACL.

Originally posted by Chuckinden:

You forgot about Willis.
No, I dont think he did.

I know I don't want Poythress out there jacking 3s, trying to create from the perimeter, and watching him turn it over 3-4 times a game because he's trying to do those things.

If UK lands Mulder and Diallo then run Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder, Poythress, and Labissiere. Bring Diallo in at the 4, Lee at the 5, either sub Willis or Matthews at the 3 or slide Poythress down for 5 minutes a game tops, Hawkins subs Ulis and Briscoe and if it's Ulis then Briscoe slides to the point.
I know there is the myth Cal never promises playing time/starting etc but if Diallo doesn't start at UK, he "ain't" coming here.
That is a near certainty. And he will start at the 4 or 5, interchangeable with Skal.

Darryl

Originally posted by dlh331:

I know there is the myth Cal never promises playing time/starting etc but if Diallo doesn't start at UK, he "ain't" coming here.
That is a near certainty. And he will start at the 4 or 5, interchangeable with Skal.

Darryl
I would imagine it went something like this -- We do not promise playing time or starting positions, but trust with your skills and our needs there is not way your not starting and playing.

That would have been my pitch.

Playing Poy at the 3 hurts him, and the team. It is imperative that we play through Ulis more next year, but with Poy at the 3 we will have a clogged lane just like we did this year, without our two most capable back to the basket scoters.

And stop with the Poy NBA crap. If cal wants to help him make the NBA, let him dominate at the 4. His best chance at an NBA career is as an undersized 4, energy guy.

Yeah he's the new favor in town so until he fails people will be talking about how great he was even though he was fired. It's almost like backup QBs.

Originally posted by RondoBaller21:
Poythress will be fine at the 3 spot like he was before he got injured.
No, he was never okay at the 3 spot. He excels much better at the 4.

Not that I neccessarily disagree with you, but if we get Diallo I want him on the floor as much as possible. He has a non-stop motor like MKG and we will need that with an offensively challenged team.

ADVERTISEMENT