ADVERTISEMENT

'Evaluating winners and losers of pro decisions.'

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Sporting News NCAAB‏@sn_ncaab 3m3 minutes ago
2017 NBA Draft withdrawal deadline: Evaluating winners and losers of pro decisions http://dlvr.it/PF0qcT

DAsF-GVWsAAmQ6_.jpg

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Thanks Smashcat, that was an interesting read. Looks like there really were some winners and losers after yesterday! GO CATS!!

LOL Duke isn't a winner. They got back a cancer and lost all the talent. They added a pg who isn't a pg really and who might not qualify , a sg who is good but overrated and a badass PF . They are not going to be better then last year and they were average most of last year.
You're a fool. Duval is the best PG in the class and a true PG which Duke hasn't had since 2015.

Duval and Carter are better than anyone in UK's roster. Allen could be the best player in CBB next year.

Duke's not a Final 4 lock like MSU or Arizona but they"ll be a top 5 team all of next year.

You're a fool. Duval is the best PG in the class and a true PG which Duke hasn't had since 2015.

Duval and Carter are better than anyone in UK's roster. Allen could be the best player in CBB next year.

Duke's not a Final 4 lock like MSU or Arizona but they"ll be a top 5 team all of next year.

So if everything is so great, why are you here calling people names? Why? Because you know your team sucks. Nice 2nd round exit this year, by the way......while Bilas was calling Duke a 1 seed. [laughing]

This guy is back...oh, geez! You're the Lavar Ball of dUKe posters

Duke's question marks are:

1. Depth- after the starting five, they have a bunch of 3 to 4-star Freshmen and Sophs. No guards to speak of behind the big three (Allen, Duval, and Trent). Frontcourt isn't much better with DeLaurier and Vrankovic on the bench.

2. Experience- one Senior. No Juniors. This is not a typical K team. K always has Juniors and Seniors to lead the way. He has one now and he is not the model of maturity and leadership.

3. Post play- is Bolden a top 15 stud, like we all thought or a bench warming dud, like it looked last year? It's unclear now which he will be next season. If he isn't ready to start, then Carter has to slide to the 5 and leaves them with the another question: who plays the 4?

4. Duval eligibility- will he be able to play? I assume he will be, Duke players are always eligible. Duke fans will say that K won't recruit a player unless he is going to be eligible. Rival fans will say that the NCAA would never rule a Duke player ineligible because they favor Duke. Regardless, this is the least of the question marks since we probably all agree the kid is going to play.

I see Duke as a top 5, because of their starting five. I feel like Bolden will make major strides and solidify that Center spot. I think they win the ACC with UNC and UofL losing key players. The ACC will be down a bit this season, IMHO. I think they probably end up losing in the first weekend or in the Sweet Sixteen because of their lack of depth and experience. Never count out a Final Four run with K on the sidelines. A title would be a shocker, but anything can happen. Teams get hot at the right time and overcome their weaknesses. It's a lot about luck.

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden

I need some of the stuff that you're smoking! Allen will be Allen, I'm sure he'll get plenty more "trips" in next season. Duke will get bounced early just like last season.

Reactions: ukfan041
Can't say I would feel good about Duval if I were a Duke fan. Maybe it will all work though.

Good Lord, Duke loses Jackson, Tatum, Giles and Kennard but is a winner because they kept cancer Grayson Allen? Wittry needs to have his head removed out of K's rectum.
How is Allen a cancer? He tripped some opponents out of frustration because he wants to win at all costs.

Duke is a winner because its returning Allen and just enrolled the #1 PG, #1 SG and #1 PF in the country.

@bucsrule8872 you seem to be very high on Duke lately. I don't know why we should assume Bolden is going to make some huge turn-around. If that's the case, we should expect the same scenario for Gabriel.

I really don't see Duke being top5 anyway you slice it. They lost so much more than they brought in. If any ONE of these recruits has an adjustment period, that will do them in with the lack of depth. They need Carter, Duval and Trent to be studs by January at the very latest. They need Coach K to not have health problems, and they need Allen to not be a head case..

Duke's question marks are:

1. Depth- after the starting five, they have a bunch of 3 to 4-star Freshmen and Sophs. No guards to speak of behind the big three (Allen, Duval, and Trent). Frontcourt isn't much better with DeLaurier and Vrankovic on the bench.

2. Experience- one Senior. No Juniors. This is not a typical K team. K always has Juniors and Seniors to lead the way. He has one now and he is not the model of maturity and leadership.

3. Post play- is Bolden a top 15 stud, like we all thought or a bench warming dud, like it looked last year? It's unclear now which he will be next season. If he isn't ready to start, then Carter has to slide to the 5 and leaves them with the another question: who plays the 4?

4. Duval eligibility- will he be able to play? I assume he will be, Duke players are always eligible. Duke fans will say that K won't recruit a player unless he is going to be eligible. Rival fans will say that the NCAA would never rule a Duke player ineligible because they favor Duke. Regardless, this is the least of the question marks since we probably all agree the kid is going to play.

I see Duke as a top 5, because of their starting five. I feel like Bolden will make major strides and solidify that Center spot. I think they win the ACC with UNC and UofL losing key players. The ACC will be down a bit this season, IMHO. I think they probably end up losing in the first weekend or in the Sweet Sixteen because of their lack of depth and experience. Never count out a Final Four run with K on the sidelines. A title would be a shocker, but anything can happen. Teams get hot at the right time and overcome their weaknesses. It's a lot about luck.
Thank you for your intelligent analysis, I agree with all your points as a Duke fan.

It would have been nice to get Knox for sure for added depth but we've got Jack White and Jordan Tucker to back up the guards which should be sufficient enough to give Allen, Duval and Trent a breather.

DeLaurier was a high 4 star last year so he should be able to provide backup minutes for Carter no problem.

Duke's success next year will rely on the development of Bolden to be honest.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

Damn. That's dumb. Knox and hami over any of your guys any day. Allen will not be the best player. And they won't be top 5. Have fun with mommas boy bolden and the tripper.

Lol,keep telling yourself that nut case

Too bad we don't play UNCheat or Corey Maggette U. We would spank both their asses this year!

Will they be as good as '15 UK?

Or even better - as good as last year's Duke team?

Reactions: Aike

Someone's awfully confident 40-0 again this year?

RandysBigballs.png

Allen must have tripped you once too often and caused a head injury

Reactions: Blue wood
Just thankful Knox didn't fall for K's crying. Dodged a bullet there.

How can Cal get schedule a game with K this year? It would be the most watched game of the year IMO.

Let's go to Cameron Indoor and get Shows/Greene/Hess to ref the game!

And I'll believe they got the #1 recruits after I see them play. Seems like those rankings don't work out in Durham.

Reactions: ukfan041
Composite Ranking says....

Duval isn't #1 PG...that's given to Sexton.

Gary Trent Jr. isn't #1 SG...he is #3 behind Diallo and Walker. You ignore Diallo because he came in...but he still considered by many as this year's recruit.

Wendell Carter isn't #1 PF...he is #3 behind both Ayton and Bamba. Now, you can argue that Ayton and Bamba is a 5...but then gain, so is Carter in Duke system. So moot point.

Duke will be good, but they can't have any injuries to one of their Top 5 guys, and considering their recent history, that could be an issue.

Just some 2017 All-Star game(s) stats for comparison sake:
McDonald's/ Hoop Summit/ Jordan Brand
  1. Vanderbilt (UK) 12.7
  2. Knox (UK) 10.3
  3. Carter (Duke) 8.3
  4. Richards (UK) 8.0
  5. Duval (Duke) 7.3
  6. Trent (Duke) 7.0
Played in less than 3 A.S. games
  1. Alexander (UK) 11.0
  2. Washington (UK) 9.0
  3. Green (UK) 7.5
[banana][banana][cheers][cheers]:cool2::cool2:[roll][roll]

The title of the article said it was about winners and loser OF PRO DECISIONS. Not their overall roster. Duke lost everybody who had a decision except 1. Tel me how that qualifies as a winner.

And yes, the same applies to UK. We lost everyone who had a decision except one, so we shouldn't be in the winners group either.

Last edited:
Reactions: ib4ky
@bucsrule8872 you seem to be very high on Duke lately. I don't know why we should assume Bolden is going to make some huge turn-around. If that's the case, we should expect the same scenario for Gabriel.
You should expect the same from Gabriel, I don't know why you wouldn't. He"ll gain a lot of muscle mass over the summer and has a year of playing college basketball under his belt.

I expect Gabriel to be an immediate starter and perhaps UK's best player when the season starts.

Reactions: Bluegrassking
You should expect the same from Gabriel, I don't know why you wouldn't. He"ll gain a lot of muscle mass over the summer and has a year of playing college basketball under his belt.

I expect Gabriel to be an immediate starter and perhaps UK's best player when the season starts.

Wrong.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Composite Ranking says....

Duval isn't #1 PG...that's given to Sexton.
I'm using ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

Carter: #4
Duval: #5
Trent Jr.: #7

I'm not counting Hami as part of this year's class since he reclassified and enrolled at UK this Spring and has already gotten practice time in college. Trent is the #1 SG!

Wendell Carter isn't #1 PF...he is #3 behind both Ayton and Bamba. Now, you can argue that Ayton and Bamba is a 5...but then gain, so is Carter in Duke system. So moot point.
Bolden will play the 5 and Carter will play the 4 this year since K doesn't have that prototypical NBA SF that he plays as a stretch 4 this year.

At any rate, Carter and Duval are basically consensus top 5 recruits while none of UK's recruits fit that description on any recruiting site.

The issue with Duke is that it is a very atypical team for Coach K. It does not have the prolific three point shooters like usual. Gracie can be (although he shot the ball poorly for HIM last year) but last year they had Jackson, Kennard, Tatum, Allen and Jones that could not be left alone outside. This year they have only three shooters on the whole team, Allen, Trent and Duval a little. Plus, Bolden is the key...otherwise they are razor thin inside. Chase Jeter leaving was a big blow no one was talking about

The ACC is really down next year, UNC is questionable, FSU is down, UVA is down, UofL is down, Pitt is horrific, who ever knows about ND...heck Miami maybe the best team.

Taking recruiting rankings from any service each year as gospel is like believing in election polls, trusting the crystal ball, betting on NCAA pre-season rankings or following bracketology.

A teams success each year begins with talent and coaching but it just depends primarily on one thing LUCK and luck cannot be pre-observed! An easy schedule, no injuries, bad calls, under and over seeding, home court advantage, etc.

I'm using ESPN.

I'm not counting Hami as part of this year's class since he reclassified and enrolled at UK this Spring and has already gotten practice time in college. Trent is the #1 SG!

Bolden will play the 5 and Carter will play the 4 this year since K doesn't have that prototypical NBA SF that he plays as a stretch 4 this year.

At any rate, Carter and Duval are basically consensus top 5 recruits while none of UK's recruits fit that description on any recruiting site.

The bottom line you could probably get some bets on this site if they play.

Oh you silly little girl. That's cute.

I'm using ESPN.

I know you are not intelligent since you are a duke fan.

But Composite ranking as Duval at #5 and Carter at #6...so obviously Carter wouldn't be considered "consensus top 5 recruit".

If you are not counting Hami..that's fine. It still doesn't change the fact that when you compare to UK recruiting, then advantage in that situation goes to UK. Again, not intelligent comment by you. Because he is already in College, there for it's better to be Duke. This logic makes no sense. It's actually pretty dumb logic. Either way it doesn't help your case at all.

Also, coming up with "Duval/Carter is consensus top 5" doesn't mean shit. At the end of the day the recruiting class gap between UK and Duke is actually pretty wide, and this with Diallo excluded. It's not like UK's class is made up of bunch of 4 star. They are made up of 5 star. Your argument is random as f*** and stupid.

Reactions: Blue wood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT