ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Bowl Projections

There is a non-stop flight from Lexington to Houston International (George Bush) AirPort. You would be shocked with the fans making the trip.

I would like to see them in Houston just because I live in the Dallas area. I would certainly make the trip if that were the case. I'm not sure what Houston is like, I haven't been since before Harvey. Went for a big gun show down there and had a blast.

Texas is a gigantic state. There are alumni from every school here. Kentucky included. I think it would be easy to find 15,000 Kentucky fans here alone that would buy tickets. Not including all those that would travel from Kentucky.

Plus last year they brought in Vandy. They'd be ecstatic with us as an alternative to that.

Still kind of hoping for Belk Bowl.

Catch a Frontier flight out of Cinncy for cheap to Houston. Wouldn't cost much more than gas for driving to Nashville and back. Flew down to Houston and rented a car and drove to San Antonio when my son graduated Air Force BMT. The flight was really cheap.

Catch a Frontier flight out of Cinncy for cheap to Houston. Wouldn't cost much more than gas for driving to Nashville and back. Flew down to Houston and rented a car and drove to San Antonio when my son graduated Air Force BMT. The flight was really cheap.
Southwest occasionally has cheap flights to Hobby Airport (Houston's LaGuardia) from Louisville, and 2 free checked bags with the flight.

It would be nice to go to a new bowl location. I've stopped caring about going to bowl games in Florida or Nashville. Houston would be fun. It would also be nice to play a team that isn't from the ACC or Big10.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
ESPN is projecting Kentucky to go to either the Texas Bowl in Houston to play Oklahoma State or the Music City Bowl in Nashville to play Miami. I'd rather see Kentucky play Oklahoma State in Houston, but Nashville would draw a bigger crowd of Kentucky fans.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28100132/college-football-bowl-projections

I'd much rather play Miami. Big name team that is not that great. Oklahoma state is damned good, i would not like our chances against them.

Reactions: ram1955
There seem to be more different bowl scenarios for UK this year than ever before. I think the following are all realistic options: Outback, Gator, Belk, Music, Texas, and Liberty.

Here are the keys:

1) UT needs to lose to Mizzou
2) UK needs to beat UL
3) Chalk at the top (i.e. Georgia beats A&M, Bama beats auburn)
a. This is key b/c it keeps Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU all in the playoffs or in the NY 6 bowls. If, for example, UF loses to FSU, then they could drop down to the citrus which would push all other SEC teams down a notch.
4) A&M needs to lose to LSU and to Georgia. This is further down the priority list b/c i'm honestly not sure if a 7-5 A&M or a 7-5 UK is more attractive to bowls. For texas-based bowl games like the Houston, I'm sure they'd prefer A&M. For florida bowls or eastern bowls like Belk, I would think they would prefer UK.
5) Fan motivation: This is critical. Here is how i see it.
-UK: Beating UL and finishing 7-5 after our earlier struggles would have a pretty motivated fanbase especially if it's at a UK-friendly bowl like Music or if it's in Florida (Outback would draw a huge UK crowd).
-UT: This is UK's main competition, IMO. If UT finishes 7-5, then they are clearly going to be chosen ahead of UK b/c I think the big orange will travel in huge numbers after recovering from their miserable start.
-A&M: How excited really are A&M fans after their $75MM coach finishes 7-5 (again)? Meh, I honestly think they are NOT excited to go anywhere.
-Auburn: See A&M. They lost every game of consequence except for Oregon. Auburn has a great traveling fanbase and maybe they show up in Tampa or Orlando, but hard to image this being a great motivator for that fanbase after losing to Alabama again (assuming that they do)

In short, I think UK is in great shape if they win out. It's conceivable that the could even get chosen above a team with a slightly better record b/c i believe A&M is just not excited to go to any of these bowls. UT is the wild card, as I think they're clearly going to be ahead of UK if both teams finish 7-5

Auburn: See A&M.

I agree with your post, in general, but if Auburn upsets Bama at home, they both have a shot to be Top 11, and we could have 5 teams in the NYD6 bowls. I doubt a 10-2 Bama drops below 11th, and a 9-3 Auburn might end up as high as a 9-3 Florida did last year.

#1 is a real possibility since it's at Mizzou
#5 is a real factor If we lose to ul, you won't have 10K at a bowl game.

Belk Bowl please although love Nashville.. OSU match up in Texas not great

Tough opponent in lower tier bowl. Get another bowl win and next time its best bowl possible. This year.. any Bowl win would be great..

Last edited:
Reactions: Tskware
OSU in my mind is a definite no. Even more so now that their starting QB is out for the year. We all know how UK does when a backup QB plays. Automatic L, hard pass. Give me Miami. Second favorite team growing up. I cheered for UK, then Miami. Their defense is stout, but offense is a struggle. Which would give us the advantage with field position because we have the Big Aussie.

In terms of teams that are "in play", my favorite options are:

-MIami (Belk or Music): This is a great name that UK has not played in my lifetime. Would draw a big UK crowd.
-Wisconsin (Outback or Gator): I don't know if I like UK's chances here, but would be cool as they have been good since the late 90s.
-Texas (Liberty): This is a low probability draw, but how awesome would it be to play texas? UK fans wouldn't normally flock to Memphis but they might for this matchup.
-Va Tech (Belk, Music): Good ACC team, though beatable.
-Michigan (Outback, Gator): See Texas above. Michigan would probably have to lose to IU and to Ohio state for this to happen and UK would have to win out.

I would be real excited to see UK play the U in either the Belk or Music. Would much rather play big name teams in bowl games. Even when they are down recruits are watching.

Flights out of Nashville have historically been cheaper(50%) as a rule for me. Going to Lauderdale in Dec and flying out of Nashville non stop for bout 1/2 of lville or lex

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT