ADVERTISEMENT

Enes Kanter - Nike cowardice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrH. Lecter

All-American
Apr 5, 2007
As a result of Kanter’s criticisms of President Erdogan, a warrant was issued for his arrest, and he has been sentenced to four years’ imprisonment. Last year, Kanter fled from Indonesia, where he was teaching at a basketball camp during the off-season, after the Turkish government contacted Indonesian officials, perhaps with a view toward having him arrested. His Turkish passport has been revoked, which led to his being temporarily detained in Romania, so he is now a man without a country. And his father has been fired from his job as a university professor in Turkey, and has also been criminally charged.

So Enes Kanter has given up, if not everything, a great deal in consequence of standing up to a real tyrant. He should be a hero to Nike, right? Wrong.

New York Knicks center Enes Kanter said in an interview with Michael Pina of Vice Sports that Nike won’t sign him due to his public criticism of Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan and the ongoing backlash from those comments:

The emotional toll is obvious, but Kanter’s sacrifice is evident elsewhere. He can’t leave North America and hasn’t been able to secure any endorsement deals. Nike, the same company that championed Colin Kaepernick’s controversial remonstration by putting him on the frontlines of a recent ad campaign, now refuses to sign Kanter. “I talked to Nike and they said, ‘We want to give Enes a contract. We’re watching him. But if we give him a contract they will shut down every store in Turkey, so we cannot give him a contract,'” he says. “I’m an NBA player with no shoe deal. No endorsement deal. And I play in New York!”

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/12/the-hypocrisy-of-nike.php

Pathetic. Shame on Nike. Grow a pair.

Why would Nike do something they know will hurt their business? No company does that.
Pretty much this. Sign an NBA player that won't do anything for your bottom line and cause you to shut down hundreds of stores? Or don't sign him and keep the hundreds of stores open? Not a very tough decision if you are Nike.

Enes is responsible for sending his father to prison and basically ruining his life. On the other hand, their president is a piece of shit, and ultimately responsible for all of it. Probably a situation where Enes should have just kept his mouth shut, because he hasn’t changed anything.

As for Nike. Right is right. Wrong is wrong. Money > Ethics.

Great point....Nike would never sign Kaepernick because it would certainly hurt their sales. <eyeroll>

Did you miss the part about Nike stores shutting down in Turkey, a nation of friggin 80 million people, if they sign Kanter?

That would be a HUGE loss for Nike, so there's just no business reason to do it. Conversely, no Nike stores are shutting down because of the Koepernick signing, and there's no evidence of any comparable loss (instead it actually made Nike more attractive with many segments of our population).

You are comparing apples to oranges, two entirely different situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK-chulo
Except that Kapernick helped Nike's business and Enes wouldn't. HUGE difference

http://time.com/5390884/nike-sales-go-up-kaepernick-ad/

You need to go to wall street. You have made a sales projection that there is no way to predict the outcome. Just like everyone swore Nike was shooting itself in its foot by Kaepernick.

Maybe sales in the US, GBR and the rest of the EU where they hate the Turks will offset the loss in Turkey..... and it is TURKEY for gods sake. But that too is not the point. If Nike is using its "conscience" like it said it was doing...then why worry about the very Adidas Turks?

Last edited:
Reactions: TM2013 and JFCats22
They have become absorbed with the old bastard from Duke to the point of our detriment. Maybe I should buy puma.

Seriously, why is this hard to understand?

Signing player A resulted in Nike making more money.
Signing player B would cause Nike to lose money.

Yet, the OP can't understand why Nike chose to sign A but not B.

I understand and I don't blame them for making a business decision. I have a problem with them supporting players who have no respect for our country.

Seriously? Did you miss the comparison with the way Nike dealt with Kapernick. Based on that Enes would have fit in PERFECTLY with the: Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything. It sure sounds like Enes did the real sacrificing.

I agree. Kaepernick’s “struggles” are a joke compared to what Enes is facing and moreso what nameless, faceless non-NBA players who are subject to real tyranny are facing around the globe. Equating US policemen to tyrants is cringeworthy, at the very least.

That being said, Nike shouldn’t sign him, for the reasons several posters already mentioned. They’re a business meant to rip people off (and I say this despite being an Air Jordan collector), not a humanitarian organization.

Edit: I think a lot of posters are missing OP’s point. I don’t think OP is saying that it’d be good for Nike business to sign Enes - he’s commenting on the hypocrisy of their new campaign slogan.

Right now I'm wearing Sketchers and LL Bean. Not giving money to Nike.
skechers-wheelies-104395.jpg

245457_222_41

Reactions: Pope John Wall II
Except that Kapernick helped Nike's business and Enes wouldn't. HUGE difference

http://time.com/5390884/nike-sales-go-up-kaepernick-ad/

Your data point is comparing only last Labor day on-line sales vs. Labor day this year. That was an estimate from ONE San Francisco based source and the link to it in your link does not work. I would advise to not just believe a headline. Further....no expert believed Nike sales would be positively affected over the long run.

Your data point is comparing only last Labor day on-line sales vs. Labor day this year. That was an estimate from ONE San Francisco based source and the link to it in your link does not work. I would advise to not just believe a headline. Further....no expert believed Nike sales would be positively affected over the long run.

Hey Lecter! Did you see Pitino made it overseas?

Seriously, why is this hard to understand?

Signing player A resulted in Nike making more money.
Signing player B would cause Nike to lose money.

Yet, the OP can't understand why Nike chose to sign A but not B.

First A: you have no idea whether that is true. Dont regurgitate the labor day online sales estimate headline that created your narrative. Read below the headline.
Second B: you have no idea if that is true.

Seriously? Did you miss the comparison with the way Nike dealt with Kapernick. Based on that Enes would have fit in PERFECTLY with the: Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything. It sure sounds like Enes did the real sacrificing.

As a few folks have pointed out, signing Kaepernick ended up being a POSITIVE for Nike, in terms of money. Just look at their stock prices and sales. And there was no dictatorship shutting anything down; it was basically a free market economy making the decisions.

Still, AND THIS IS THE ULTIMATE POINT...it sucks to see a company have to nix the decision to sign an athlete who deserves to be signed because of the actions of a murderous dictator who would shut down the stores they have in Turkey, which was until very recently a rather progressive nation.

I think everyone can agree that it's a shitty position, for Enes AND for Nike, and one which everyone would hope didn't exist. Unfortunately it does, and in making business decisions money tends to get the last word... and my guess is the negatives of losing all of that business in Turkey would totally overwhelm whatever sales signing Kanter could account for.

I'd be curious to know how much money is actually at stake. Like... would $100 million be enough to make up for losing Turkey? There HAS to be a number.

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
I agree. Kaepernick’s “struggles” are a joke compared to what Enes is facing and moreso what nameless, faceless non-NBA players who are subject to real tyranny are facing around the globe. Equating US policemen to tyrants is cringeworthy, at the very least.

That being said, Nike shouldn’t sign him, for the reasons several posters already mentioned. They’re a business meant to rip people off (and I say this despite being an Air Jordan collector), not a humanitarian organization.

Edit: I think a lot of posters are missing OP’s point. I don’t think OP is saying that it’d be good for Nike business to sign Enes - he’s commenting on the hypocrisy of their new campaign slogan.

EXACTLY!!!! No one knows the impact of EK being sponsored by Nike. Enes for one is popular here for obvious reasons. He is one of ours. I have been a Nike stock holder since the early 90's. They have made me a TON of money. I watch everything they do because I have the first dollar I invested in them still and I was concerned when the Kaepernick thing happened. My broker called me an suggested I take some profit when that broke. I said no...because I believe too in the old adage....bad publicity....just spell the name right.

So unlike most or all in this thread...i am quite familiar with the controversy because I follow their sales projections and stock prices closely. That said I have no idea how many stores they have in Turkey or if Edrogen would shut down stores. That is bluster maybe from EK. But accurate or not...it is the height of hypocrisy for Nike to use that as an excuse not to sign EK when they stared down controversy in the worlds larges economy with over 320-mil consumers.

Did you miss the part about Nike stores shutting down in Turkey, a nation of friggin 80 million people, if they sign Kanter?

That would be a HUGE loss for Nike, so there's just no business reason to do it. Conversely, no Nike stores are shutting down because of the Koepernick signing, and there's no evidence of any comparable loss (instead it actually made Nike more attractive with many segments of our population).

You are comparing apples to oranges, two entirely different situations.
The point is Nike’s hypocrisy of pretending like they care about injustice when another athlete has literally represented their tagline to the extreme.

It isn’t that Nike is right or wrong in not signing or signing whomever. It is 100% the correct business decision. But they played the CK thing as if they were taking a moral stance.

When in reality it’s all about money and always has been/will be.

The article was just exposing the company and nothing more than a company and frauds on the image they were attempting but to create in the social front of being some champions of justice and sacrifice in the name of non sport related beliefs. The “more than an athlete” nonsense.

Not sure that we can be comparing events in the United States and present-day Turkey in any meaningful way. I know folks are trying to, but I don't see much connection between a company's dealing in the United States with it's dealing in Turkey under Erdogan.

Nike probably has some sweat shops in Turkey. They don't want to possibly risk losing the cheap labor by being kicked out of Turkey. By the way, can the average person in Turkey even afford to buy Nike gear?

Turkey is a fairly progressive nation... more European than Middle Eastern. The rich are REALLY really rich, but of course there is a fair share of poor folks. It's not the United States, but it isn't Iraq.

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
Why would Nike do something they know will hurt their business? No company does that.

I don’t think the point is that Enes deserved a Nike campaign. The point is that they’re huge hypocrites for acting like they’re social activists, even in the face of adversity. It’s disingenuous. Nike doesn’t deserve any credit for serving as a platform for equality any more than Colin Kaepernick. They’re both frauds.

When in reality it’s all about money and always has been/will be.

You say this as if it's a revelation rather than what we already knew. Nike, like all these shoe companies, is a rapacious corporation. Rapacious corporations make their decisions based on whatever's best for the bottom line.

Nike chose to sign Koepernick because its market research analysts studied the issue and concluded it would not hurt them in the end, and probably even boost their worldwide sales (which has proven true). And it chose not to sign Kanter because the same analysts studied the issue and concluded that would greatly hurt their overseas sales.

It ain't complicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dward13 and Jkwo
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT