ADVERTISEMENT

Eli Cox and Jager Burton

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I've watched highlights on YouTube of several of last year's games. While it isn't as if Eli and Burton weren't making good plays, it's almost always one or the other who is the culprit whenever a play is blown up immediately, when a stunt comes clean through to the harass/hit the QB/RB, when a DL overpowers an OL and makes a TFL, etc. I'm hoping many of those types of plays can be laid at the feet of the system being too complex, the obsession with the wide zone scheme, etc. But, we can't have the number of blown assignments and busted blocking schemes that we had last year (which was, to be fair, much better than 2022 but that's not saying much). Both Eli and Burton HAVE to play better consistently this year for us to have a chance at 8-4 or better. If someone told me one of those two will not be starting by game #4, I'd have to bet on Burton. But, Eli has to be better, also. When you're the center and the presumed leader of the group, you can't whiff on a block or go left when you should go right or overcommit to the guy in front of you and let a stunter/blitzer come straight through the line or get bullrushed right into the QB. Just can't happen. If it does, time for center #2 to get some snaps (maybe move Eli back to OG?).

I agree...and while Cox hasn't seemingly played better than his 2021 season (maybe he was masked with Fortner, Horsey, Kinnard and Rosenthal flanking him).

Jager by far and away has been way worse to me in 2022 and 2023. I simply wished Chrisman, etc... would beat him out for a starting guard spot. But to be candid, I was of the same mindset with Flax last year and he came out and put up a dang solid year at tackle. So maybe Jager has improved.

Burton's play is a head scratcher. Every season the OL coach raves about his athleticism, his power, his agility, etc. and, thus far, every year he has underperformed expectations (sometimes vastly underperformed). Hopefully, Hamden has simplified the play calls and the system and the O-linemen aren't walking up to the LOS with 15 different things on their mind. Snap count and keys/assignments ought to be the extent of what they're thinking. The line the past few years has looked tentative, confused, anxious and they have not played as a consistent, cohesive unit for many games. Need a return to near-BBW levels for this team to have a chance of making some noise in a very deep SEC.

Reactions: K_TIME
Ive already gone on record picking Eli as my pick to click this year. He has always been really athletic and is in great shape and has the tools to be a high level lineman. You saw what he could do as a freshman before getting moved. Keep in mind he got moved to the most demanding position on the line AND had 4 different coordinatores each year to deal with and different cast beside him. As someone else said if Hamdans system can simplify things for him he can play and I think will show out and get draft attention next year.

I've watched highlights on YouTube of several of last year's games. While it isn't as if Eli and Burton weren't making good plays, it's almost always one or the other who is the culprit whenever a play is blown up immediately, when a stunt comes clean through to the harass/hit the QB/RB, when a DL overpowers an OL and makes a TFL, etc. I'm hoping many of those types of plays can be laid at the feet of the system being too complex, the obsession with the wide zone scheme, etc. But, we can't have the number of blown assignments and busted blocking schemes that we had last year (which was, to be fair, much better than 2022 but that's not saying much). Both Eli and Burton HAVE to play better consistently this year for us to have a chance at 8-4 or better. If someone told me one of those two will not be starting by game #4, I'd have to bet on Burton. But, Eli has to be better, also. When you're the center and the presumed leader of the group, you can't whiff on a block or go left when you should go right or overcommit to the guy in front of you and let a stunter/blitzer come straight through the line or get bullrushed right into the QB. Just can't happen. If it does, time for center #2 to get some snaps (maybe move Eli back to OG?).
FWIW Cox said he was proud of Burton getting his weight up to 315 and learning the playbook? Seems that is what he said if anyone can confirm I got it right?

Jager is mostly attitude issue I think. Not sure if he gets big headed (starting for SEC school) or what. He has the ability and strength. He does not seem to have the attitude to make that guy across from him hate having to line up and get mauled by him.

Line play will decide the season. We just don't need no penalties from them. When things go wrong, don't go crazy and get another 5 to 15 added on!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT