ADVERTISEMENT

Things you want to see in the first game

O line and quick pace offense Stoops has got to get with the trends jury is out and looking on

I think Brad White had an awful year last season. We had Alex Afari, Hairston, and Dru Phillips back there and we still got roasted because of the soft coverage.

There is no soft coverage. Just had one guy they kept playing, for whatever reason, who played soft.

This clip shows exactly what im talking about. Nagy is the director of the sr bowl. It shows us playing the dreaded "soft" coverage showing us off 5-7 yards but flying up on the catch for pretty much no gain despite it being a very difficult concept to defend.

There is nothing soft about our coverage. We just occasionally have a soft player. The question should be - why do we play guys we know plays soft? We did with Robinson and dort. It literally cost us games.

Solid OL and DL play. Getting plays called in quicker and more efficiently. More aggressive end of 1st half offense to put points on the board and not be content to just run out the clock. No WR drops. Utilize the TE more in the passing game.
Better clock management in a two minute drill is needed. No more giving the opponent time to respond or put up cheap points at the end of the half or end of game.

Sadly, you're probably correct. For the life of me, I plain don't understand this 'strategy' at all. We all know that it's unusual for a QB to go a full season without getting nicked up or roll an ankle or whatever. Knowing that, why do we (and many other teams, to be fair) hesitate to put in the backups and let them do what they may be called upon to do later in the year? I can't imagine any coach getting pissed off if our 3rd string offense puts together a 75-yard drive against the opponent's 3rd string. If they do, screw 'em. You don't want our backups to score, that's your responsibility to stop them. Now, running a fake punt (Ole Ball Coach) or double reverse when you're up by 4 TDs is a dick move. But, having your backups running the offense they may have to run against Georgia's first team just seems like being prepared for the unexpected. Having a backup QB turn and hand the ball off 3 times or take a knee (thanks, Scang!) is just plain dumb. You can get backups live reps within the system without completely trying to run up the score.
Shoot, in a game like this, give your QB2 a series in the 2nd qtr. I understand the reasons against that, but if managed decently, the upside is worth the downside. IMO.

In semi related discussion, we are a week away from kick-off and there seems to be less information leaking out about who is playing well or not so good. Info on the team in general seems more limited than in years past does it not?

In semi related discussion, we are a week away from kick-off and there seems to be less information leaking out about who is playing well or not so good. Info on the team in general seems more limited than in years past does it not?
It does. I guess all the hype during last years camp never materialized so best to keep it close to the vest.

Reactions: docholiday51
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT