ADVERTISEMENT

ELEVEN Straight Games Opponents Have Shot More FTs Than UK; 318-210

Sure...because ALL of the referees banding together to take down one program HOME and away makes so much more rational sense

If you don't see by now that UK gets way worse treatment with the whistle than schools like UNC and Duke then you are living in fantasy land.

Duke has lived and died by the three ball for years, and theres times they lead the nation in free throw attempts from home. I mean, do you actually watch how easy it is for Duke to draw fouls?

These types of fans kill me.

what I've kinda noticed is when our games are on ESPNU or SECN.... I think the games have been called decently fair. Its when the games are on ESPN or ESPN2 that make me want to punt a puppy. (jk..id never hurt an animal)

all I'm saying is that I've noticed a pattern... that may or may not be coincidence.

Maybe for the big bucks of TV dollars, the refs are trying to keep the games close and interesting? ? ? I mean the NCAA bows at the alter of ESPN , CBS , and the almighty TV $$$ by basically planning time outs in any fashion the tv channels want. Oh they want the games to be quicker??? then the NCAA jumps like pets hearing their master call. Do we really think the NCAA would balk at a request to keep games interesting?

Ulis, Murray and Briscoe all drive to the rim pretty regularly. You can't tell me those guys aren't getting fouled. It goes back to what I've said for the past two years, in many threads on this board. SEC officiating is easily the worst in all of college basketball.

You can almost trace the point where the SEC stopped caring about basketball. When this conference started winning all those football titles, interest in basketball by both the schools and the league admins went right out the door.

Anyone, just for one moment, do me a favor.

Imagine Julius Randle in a Duke uniform playing in Cameron........

I rest my case. If you can't see that example, you're just a casual fan who doesn't know a hole from his........

It's a conspiracy! Everyone's out to get UK! Bilas has always been a guy that calls things how he sees them. Sometimes they go against UK, and sometimes they are in favor, but this whole notion that everyone is against UK is crazy. Some people like Forde have a clear bias against UK, but for the most part people just comment with their unbiased opinion.
You,ll learn, , sooner or a later you ll see it

Obviously people don't get the statistical anomaly of a -108 FT differential in only 11 games. Or have eyeballs. Or just like to troll, errrr, play devil's advocate.

Or think about this way. We had a F4 team (2011) and a runner up team (13) struggle in league but take off once it ended. Not a mystery.

Reactions: Bill Derington
Just curious, what do you think the motivation is for the refs to try to call more fouls on Kentucky? I'm not saying they aren't, but I just don't see why anybody (refs, ncaa, ect) would want to take Kentucky down. Usually sports are better when you have the best, most storied teams doing well. When a team like the Green Bay Packers is doing good, it's good for the sport, same with a team like the Chicago Bulls. So again, why would anybody be out to hurt a team like Kentucky.

As a fan of a different team (not saying which but we aren't a big rival of Kentucky) it would be easy for me to say it's on Kentucky, they are the one constant in the equation. And by that I mean, they've played different teams and had different officiating crews, but the end result is always the same. But I've watched a fair amount of your games to see that you guys do get jobbed on a lot of calls, quite an unusual amount really. I just don't know if I'm buying that it is intentional because I don't know what the motivation would be.
One word: Calipari.
So many people hate Coach Calipari and officials are human.
When you're on top you get people that want to see you lose. It's that simple.
I get it, on the road the refs are affected by the crowd but the one sided calls are ridiculous. It's happening in Rupp every game too. Calling fouls on UK under the basket when everyone has cleared out snd Poythress touches the guy is ridiculous.
And my favorite: our bigs stand in the paint with their arms and hands straight in the air and the guy with the ball james into them and we get the foul. It is sickening to watch that.

Here are the personal foul numbers for the year. Kind of obvious where are issues are and I don't think it the refs.

Skal Labissiere.... 84
Marcus Lee......... 83
Alex Poythress..... 77
Briscoe,Isaiah..... 76
Jamal Murray....... 55
Tyler Ulis......... 46
Derek Willis....... 45
Dominique Hawkins.. 20
Isaac Humphries.... 39
Charles Matthews... 31
Mychal Mulder...... 5

Here are the personal foul numbers for the year. Kind of obvious where are issues are and I don't think it the refs.

Skal Labissiere.... 84
Marcus Lee......... 83
Alex Poythress..... 77
Briscoe,Isaiah..... 76
Jamal Murray....... 55
Tyler Ulis......... 46
Derek Willis....... 45
Dominique Hawkins.. 20
Isaac Humphries.... 39
Charles Matthews... 31
Mychal Mulder...... 5

So you are saying every single one of those calls on the big men were warranted?

you are empowering the refs to make whatever call they want whenever because you are basically saying that they are always right.

Go back and look at each foul individually and tell me if they were good calls or not. Dont just post some list of foul numbers when the whole point of the thread is that some SEC refs are really sticking it to us.

Last edited:
What's the maximum amount of bonus FTs you can shoot in a game? Six? Three 1-and-1s per half, right? So say UK missed all six front ends (and I don't think they even got into the double-bonus in some of these 11 games,.

Everything you wrote - completely valid. I wasn't trying to make a full account for the disparity. There are "some" reasons for why our squad this season is probably going to be on the short end of the FT tally, and there are "some" things our squad could be doing to make that disparity smaller. Did you see the part where I conceded the refs suck?

Maybe if the officials didn't have to become irritated by our #2 ball handler wearing his shorts inside-out then maybe a small number of calls would work in our favor.

Reactions: GG24 and rye48
This is just inexcusable. What a sad excuse for officiating we have to endure. Hopefully one day we get to look back on this era and shake our heads at how chaotic things "were back then."

Our bigs foul way to much , I can see it, anyone else objective can see it. We don't get the same whistle.

So you are saying every single one of those calls on the big men were warranted?

you are empowering the refs to make whatever call they want whenever because you are basically saying that they are always right.

Go back and look at each foul individually and tell me if they were good calls or not. Dont just post some list of foul numbers when the whole point of the thread is that some SEC refs are really sticking it to us.

I'm empowering the refs? Wow, I must be important. Of course there are bad calls. The changes in the last couple of years appear to favor offense with the whole freedom of movement stuff and push to raise scoring. We benefited from it last year when we had a strong inside game and big guards that could drive the lane and draw contact. This year we are on the losing end of it with a weak inside game and guards that shoot more jumpers than drive. The numbers show the fouls are coming from our slow big guys. Skal is a foul magnet. He does not move his feet and reaches. Lee is almost as bad. Willis is getting better.

I think Skal pretty much earns the fouls he gets,Lee on the other hand seems to have gotten a rep and picks up some cheap calls.

The problem I have seen this year is that the game is not being called the same on both ends of the court. It seems that officials are missing more calls,letting some stuff go or just not calling what everyone else can see plainly on t.v.

It is difficult to say if the refs are just that bad or if something else is going on.In the past month every game we have played has had more than it's share of controversial calls

Reactions: rye48
I do think we got some refs out there that don't like UK. We are all human and its very hard to not let personal biases affect us. What I have noticed the last few years that said refs don't really fabricate fouls as much as if it is a judgement call it almost always goes against UK. Our bigs do foul alot. However it's a foul on one end and not another. They also get called for stuff that was supposed to be no longer happening such as point of emphasis stuff like not calling a foul on the big guy standing with his arms straight up and the offensive player launches into them. Watch the ATM game and watch Tyler he was bodied and fouled on every drive to the basket. Which is a point of emphasis the refs ignore that body contact if the defender doesn't put 2 hands on him but at his size a hip check does just as much damage. Even saw him drive inside and was bodied to the ground by 2 defenders and nothing. Now do I think it's a grand conspiracy no.

I think it's a combo of things. One Cal himself. He doesn't constantly work the officials like K does. He can't or he will get a t. Two are bigs do foul to much they just don't move their feet well. Exception here is Poy who was getting into foul trouble a ton as well and he is a good defender. Three Sec officials just suck it is what it is look around we are not the only team complaining. 4 their is some persona bias out there. five we do not have dominant bigs to draw fouls inside. and finally 6 the point of emphasis isn't being called in our league like it's supposed to that happens every year. The best part tho is on the grand stage of the tourney the point of emphasis stuff comes back into play and our guards will go to the line more. Plus some of our more crappy refs get spread around the country and do less of our games

Reactions: rye48
Exactly......are there certain refs who are anti-UK? of course.......i'd be a fool to suggest otherwise
Do certain refs feel the pressure to call fouls against UK when they're on the road facing a lesser team? yes....

But to suggest that it's a huge conspiracy is, frankly, embarrassing

Exactly......are there certain refs who are anti-UK? of course.......i'd be a fool to suggest otherwise
Do certain refs feel the pressure to call fouls against UK when they're on the road facing a lesser team? yes....

The officiating is so one sided that nothing should be off the table when talking about explanations.

There was supposed to be last year as well. The just forgot about it around the second week in December.

That was two years ago. ... go ahead and check ... I'm 1000000% confident i'm right about it.

also we are talking about SEC games and officials. If they gave it up before the SEC started... then how did it ever benefit us in the SEC?

Good lord, the only people who constantly refer to this as some vast conspiracy are the ones trying to downplay it even happens. I've never used the word conspiracy. So far, you're the one using that word.

UK does not get the same treatment at home or away as schools like Duke, UNC, or Kansas. It's as close to a fact as you can get.

Use whatever word you like to describe it. I use disgrace.

I'll accept a lot of things, even that our bigs foul a lot. But, why do they get called for far more than the rest of the league? Are we to believe that UK has the market cornered on bigs that foul? Come on!
Someone complained about the thought of there being some sort of conspiracy amongst officials in the SEC. While I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "conspiracy", let's just say there may be an unspoken understanding about some things among refs, OK?

there was no freedom of movement last year so how did we benefit from it?
The freedom of movement rule hasn't been called the same since early in the season,officials have gotten away from that since about mid December.As far as SEC refs are concerned they are not consistent from one game to the next(oh hell,not even one call to the next) I don't think there is any way to know if what we have seen over the past month is agenda driven,incompetence or some combination of both but this team has suffered thru some of the poorest officiating that I have seen in quite some time

The whole point of emphasis stuff does get forgotten about or is called inconsistently when league play starts. Would have to check Johns page but I think we went to the line way more than our opponents in non conference games with the exception of Ohio St. Maybe. I throw out UCLA cause a healthy Ullis changes that game and having Lees five fouls and offensive rebounding and we win that game maybe by double digits. Based on the pattern I have noticed up until the final four the point of emphasis stuff is focused on again in the tourney. It kinda goes away a bit in the final four cause I think the networks want games without a 1000 whistles.

Heck, the game versus TAMU wasn't even called the same from one half to the other! It's not even a game to game issue. We are seeing wild swings in how loosely or tightly play is being ref'd in a single game, from one half to the other.
Jay Bilas even made numerous comments about it during Sat. night's game. Pretty embarrassing for the SEC right now.

I find it funny that the one game in the past 2 months that Lee hasnt been in foul trouble was the game where he switched to # 0. Coincidence ? I mean if Lee is such a horrible defender as some suggest... he should of had more fouls in that game too.

Why are people constantly talking about # of free throw attempts instead of # of fouls called ? Never mind, I know why, and it's typical of the OP as well as plenty of others to use whatever stat blows things out of proportion the most.

I say if we're going to act as if the refs are against us, at least use a meaningful stat.

I know somebody already addressed the fact that a few of our guys leave attempts on the table by missing the front end of one and ones. That has nothing to do with officiating.

You also have to consider fg%. If a uk player drives, gets fouled, and makes the bucket, he gets one less ft attempt than an opponent would get in the same situation but without making the bucket. But what situation would you rather have, and "and one" opportunity, or two free throws ? Again, nothing to do with officiating.

Another factor is the timing of the fouls, whether they're in the bonus or before. There's times when a foul gives you no ft attempts, and times when the exact same foul gives you two ft attempts. Yet again, nothing to do with officiating.

Point being....using number of ft attempts to draw any conclusions about the refs is a STUPID STUPID thing to do.

And I'm not apologizing for the refs at all. The tech on Hump was absolutely horse shit and IMO affected the game more than any single call. I also saw Murray get hammered on a drive late in the game with no whistle. But I conclude that either the officials are horribly inconsistent, or they are betting on games. Either of those makes more sense then them simply wanting UK to lose. You'd think they'd at least be smart enough to not bite the hand that feeds them, unless of course they are making money on the side.

Why are people constantly talking about # of free throw attempts instead of # of fouls called ? Never mind, I know why, and it's typical of the OP as well as plenty of others to use whatever stat blows things out of proportion the most.

I say if we're going to act as if the refs are against us, at least use a meaningful stat.

I know somebody already addressed the fact that a few of our guys leave attempts on the table by missing the front end of one and ones. That has nothing to do with officiating.

You also have to consider fg%. If a uk player drives, gets fouled, and makes the bucket, he gets one less ft attempt than an opponent would get in the same situation but without making the bucket. But what situation would you rather have, and "and one" opportunity, or two free throws ? Again, nothing to do with officiating.

Another factor is the timing of the fouls, whether they're in the bonus or before. There's times when a foul gives you no ft attempts, and times when the exact same foul gives you two ft attempts. Yet again, nothing to do with officiating.

Point being....using number of ft attempts to draw any conclusions about the refs is a STUPID STUPID thing to do.

And I'm not apologizing for the refs at all. The tech on Hump was absolutely horse shit and IMO affected the game more than any single call. I also saw Murray get hammered on a drive late in the game with no whistle. But I conclude that either the officials are horribly inconsistent, or they are betting on games. Either of those makes more sense then them simply wanting UK to lose. You'd think they'd at least be smart enough to not bite the hand that feeds them, unless of course they are making money on the side.

Didnt people say that a major chunk of the B.S. fouls called against us was guys driving and jumping into our guys for foul calls? those are shooting fouls ....... normal ticky tack non shooting fouls arent what we are complaining about. so giving the FT's #'s is more relevant than just fouls..

But the foul difference in SEC play is we've committed 298 Fouls to our opponents 247 fouls.

If you take the entire season the CATS have shot 42 less FT's than their opponents. At home UK has a 43 FT advantage, on a neutral court they have shot 8 less and on the road they have shot 77 less. Overall, the home team tends to get to the line more often than the visiting team.

All I have to do is name Julius Randle, the most fouled player in the history of the NCAA. Had he played for Duke. UNC. Kansas. Or any other ref favorite, he would have lived at the free throw line. If you can't get that, you're just not able to get what's going on.

Kentucky gets the worst referee treatment of all he blue bloods by FAR. It's not even close.

Blows my mind that some of our own fans don't get it, even though they are the VAST minority.

Reactions: GG24
Kentucky gets the worst referee treatment of all he blue bloods by FAR. It's not even close.

Blows my mind that some of our own fans don't get it, even though they are the VAST minority.
lots of talk about Duke in this thread. We played Duke in November right? UK called for 21 fouls, Duke called for 22. Can't imagine why nobody has brought up that stat yet. Guess it doesn't fit the agenda?

Someone refresh my memory, was it like this before Cal? I don't remember it being this bad. Is it a Cal thing? Also, what can be done about it?

If things go like they have lately, I look for Alabama to shoot 10-15 more free throws than UK tomorrow night. :angry:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT