ADVERTISEMENT

ELEVEN Straight Games Opponents Have Shot More FTs Than UK; 318-210

dlh331

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Think about that:

1. With the nation's best guards, with a coach that constantly stresses to drive the ball

2. 5 home games in that stretch

3. 6 blow out wins in which the opponent trailed nearly the entire game and they shoot more FTS EVERY game

4. Again.....318 FTA to 210 for UK in the last 11 games

Darryl

Not that it's an excuse (we've been homered a bit), but UK is shooting over 20 threes a game. With Willis' emergence and Poythress' absence (the only guy we can really use as post offense), it's become who we are.

The lack of scoring big men is the main reason for this.
our guards get hammered - they do drive and SHOULD get calls at least half the time. Our bigs are defending as they should in large part - but even standing straight up, with arms straight up, ,offensive player jumps into them and the foul is called on our guy.
No - this season UK is not getting a decent whistle at all. There is no such thing as home cooking in Rupp - and we sure as hell don't get even the pretense of a fair whistle on the road
Do we foul? Absolutely - and when we do, call it, it's all good. The opposing team isn't getting called for the same fouls

Wow, when you see that disparity in those numbers, it really does make you wonder what is going on with the SEC officiating.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Wow, when you see that disparity in those numbers, it really does make you wonder what is going on with the SEC officiating.
And not a Damn thing we can do about it except take the officiating
out of the game by stomping teams

Duke plays much the same way we do - drive and kick with limited post play. They make more free throws than their opponents shoot.

When we penetrate and get bumped, we rarely get calls. Freedom of movement is out the window.

On the other end, teams get call after call when they drive and typically initiate contact with our bigs.

Some of those are fouls on us. Many are bad calls. I would say that the majority are coming after we get a big lead, in an attempt by the refs to "even out" the game.

We also seem to be the king of picking up touch fouls 90 feet from the basket. Some of that is because we stupidly reach in. Often it is incidental contact that the ref could easily let go and has no impact on the game.

most of the time our big players are out of position trying to block the shot by reaching instead of standing their ground.

Reactions: 144catfan
Although I expect fewer calls on the road, we don't seem to have an advantage at home and we foul with our hands too much. Not Cal's best defensive team. Especially minus AP.

We don't have Grayson Allen who can move quickly with the ball and finds seams and attacks the basket with an ability to finish. And, unlike Briscoe, you can't leave him alone from the outside because he can shoot the ball. I hate Duke, but give the guy credit, he is very good and gets clearly fouled. My only issue with him is there seem to be a number of offensive fouls that are not called on him which seems to always exist with Duke basketball. Our style of play is no where near the same. That's b.s.

We don't have Grayson Allen who can move quickly with the ball and finds seams and attacks the basket with an ability to finish. And, unlike Briscoe, you can't leave him alone from the outside because he can shoot the ball. I hate Duke, but give the guy credit, he is very good and gets clearly fouled. My only issue with him is there seem to be a number of offensive fouls that are not called on him which seems to always exist with Duke basketball. Our style of play is no where near the same. That's b.s.

Okay

I noticed you decided to pick Briscoe instead of Murray. Nice job. Say hello to the Cameron Crazies for me next time you are licking Coach K's court.

What about Bilas last night?

Showed a play where Ulis got fouled and said it should have been offensive.

Showed that last foul on Lee and said Lee kept moving into the guy. There wasn't a frog hair's worth of contact.

Threw a fit over a charge call that went against aTm (he might have been right on this one, but he went on a RANT).

Briscoe gets called for a bogus charge shortly after and they don't even show a replay.

It was weird.

Showed that last foul on Lee and said Lee kept moving into the guy. There wasn't a frog hair's worth of contact.

Threw a fit over a charge call that went against aTm (he might have been right on this one, but he went on a RANT).

Briscoe gets called for a bogus charge shortly after and they don't even show a replay.

It was weird.
Yes I agree on all counts,don't know what has happened to Bilas but he is a different announcer than he was a couple of years ago.It seems it has become pile on UK from the officials to the announcers and just about everyone else.I have watched UK for a very long time and don't remember a period of time like the last month when we have been dumped on to this degree in game after game.

Last night was the icing on that cake so far,then to have Bilas come off with his load of bull$hit makes watching a game almost annoying.I would rather listen to Vitale with his stream of nonsense than Bilas' baseless rant

It was weird.
It's a conspiracy! Everyone's out to get UK! Bilas has always been a guy that calls things how he sees them. Sometimes they go against UK, and sometimes they are in favor, but this whole notion that everyone is against UK is crazy. Some people like Forde have a clear bias against UK, but for the most part people just comment with their unbiased opinion.

Reactions: Jkwo
Our bigs this year are not what we normally have since Coach Cal came 7 years ago. Last year we had Towns at Center and Lyles & WCS at forwards and Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee subbed in when Foul trouble came about or to give the bigs some rest. That is 5 oustanding Bigs and this year we have Lee, Skal, Humphries and Poythress is out. When Lee scores its from our guards on lobs. Skal at beginning of year till now the guards have tried feeding him the ball and he usually either can't hold on or it is stolen from him. SInce Skal has been playing forward most has been from 12-15 ft range and he does have a nice mid-range jumper but doesn't try and take it to the basket like he should and Humphries seems to be one that will help us. When Poythress was in the game he did have some games like at BAMA that he domniated and was getting fouled when he was taking it to the basket. WE just don't have the bigs that we had the last couple of years that took us to FInal Four the last two years. I will say though that this has been the worst SEC Season that UK has been called for so many Touchy and Picky Fouls against them. That is why we lost the Kansas and UT games being called for 81 total combined Fouls called and each team made 30FT's.

Duke plays much the same way we do - drive and kick with limited post play. They make more free throws than their opponents shoot.

When we penetrate and get bumped, we rarely get calls. Freedom of movement is out the window.

On the other end, teams get call after call when they drive and typically initiate contact with our bigs.

Some of those are fouls on us. Many are bad calls. I would say that the majority are coming after we get a big lead, in an attempt by the refs to "even out" the game.

We also seem to be the king of picking up touch fouls 90 feet from the basket. Some of that is because we stupidly reach in. Often it is incidental contact that the ref could easily let go and has no impact on the game.

Preach on. They could always cut down on ridiculous fouls with following this simple solution

Reactions: Aike
Unfortunately it has become cool in the referee community to screw over the Wildcats. Once more the media love it. I'm not sure if it is social media and the size of the Kentucky fan base or what but something has certainly happened to the way we specifically are called. I watch games all the time between no name schools with no name refs that come and go without a shred of controversy. It seems like every game UK plays some ref is trying to be the headline. I love games that are played with an even whistle where referees go unnoticed.

our guards get hammered - they do drive and SHOULD get calls at least half the time. Our bigs are defending as they should in large part - but even standing straight up, with arms straight up, ,offensive player jumps into them and the foul is called on our guy.
No - this season UK is not getting a decent whistle at all. There is no such thing as home cooking in Rupp - and we sure as hell don't get even the pretense of a fair whistle on the road
Do we foul? Absolutely - and when we do, call it, it's all good. The opposing team isn't getting called for the same fouls

[thumb2] Agree.

Just curious, what do you think the motivation is for the refs to try to call more fouls on Kentucky? I'm not saying they aren't, but I just don't see why anybody (refs, ncaa, ect) would want to take Kentucky down. Usually sports are better when you have the best, most storied teams doing well. When a team like the Green Bay Packers is doing good, it's good for the sport, same with a team like the Chicago Bulls. So again, why would anybody be out to hurt a team like Kentucky.

As a fan of a different team (not saying which but we aren't a big rival of Kentucky) it would be easy for me to say it's on Kentucky, they are the one constant in the equation. And by that I mean, they've played different teams and had different officiating crews, but the end result is always the same. But I've watched a fair amount of your games to see that you guys do get jobbed on a lot of calls, quite an unusual amount really. I just don't know if I'm buying that it is intentional because I don't know what the motivation would be.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Vandy game was called really bad at Rupp but it doesn't get mentioned much because it was still an easy win but I remember shooting like 6 FTs to like 20+.Losses don't effect me as much this year because I believe once the tournament comes and the games are on a neutral court this team has as good a shot as any to go all the way.

Has more to do with our aggressive trap down defense than anything. It's a trend, not a conspiracy.

No it doesn't. It has to do with the fact there's not a fair whistle. Briscoe ulis and Murray have drove into the lane being hammered with no foul called an insane amount of times. Yet a UK defender has his hands raised with a player jumping into them and bam its a foul.

Would you agree that there have been other factors at play as well?

Marcus fouls. Make no mistake about that. Our "bigs" - which really are not - have a hard time keeping up with actual bigs that have the ability to put the ball on the floor and go to the basket.

And yes the refs suck.

Otherwise, we've got a particular problem this year not being able to hit the front end of 1 and 1s. Missing a LOT of opportunities for that additional free throw, and it adds up.

Sure...because ALL of the referees banding together to take down one program HOME and away makes so much more rational sense

People gonna believe what they wanna believe lol

No mention of this is all other Cal years where we were the ones that shot a ton of free throws.

So not only are the refs against us, but they just decided to be against this this one year. They must have met over summer and had secret meetings to figure out how they were gonna screw UK.

Either that or our guys are just foul prone. Which is more logical but not popular here.

Marcus fouls. Make no mistake about that. Our "bigs" - which really are not - have a hard time keeping up with actual bigs that have the ability to put the ball on the floor and go to the basket.

And yes the refs suck.

Otherwise, we've got a particular problem this year not being able to hit the front end of 1 and 1s. Missing a LOT of opportunities for that additional free throw, and it adds up.

What's the maximum amount of bonus FTs you can shoot in a game? Six? Three 1-and-1s per half, right? So say UK missed all six front ends (and I don't think they even got into the double-bonus in some of these 11 games, but say they did in all of them), that would add up to six FT for 11 games they missed out on - a max of 66 as for as a difference. Just over half the discrepancy in question by the OP. That is still a huge difference, especially when we are getting widely outshot on our home floor by largely non-driving, jumpshooting teams such as Florida and Vanderbilt. The Vandy game blew me away, team was trailing the whole game, barely ever drives the ball, and still outshot us by 20 something FTs at Rupp IIRC. Anyway, I don't even think UK is really that bad of a FT shooting team to begin with, I realize we have two guys in particular who are awful, but besides them, I don't think the rest of the team is leaving tons of bonus FTs on the board anyhow.

ADVERTISEMENT