ADVERTISEMENT

Efficiency numbers halfway through SEC Conference play

We make little attempt to disrupt the opponents game plan. Teams with a modicum of competence can manipulate our D and run their stuff unimpeded. We don't gamble, but at the same time the opponent can setup our D to create driving lanes and/or matchups they want.
Did you see how thrown UF was yesterday when we sprung the surprise double team? I’m not sure if they were more surprised by the double or that it came from us.

I thought someone on our side had actually watched some film and made an adjustment for a change.

It’s just Coaching 101, or should be. When you can’t out-athlete everyone and just line up and kill them, you have to do things to keep them off-balance.

Since we are around the halfway mark in conference play I wanted to take a look during the conference at efficiency numbers.

TeamOEDEDiff
Alabama115.884.231.6
Tennessee108.486.122.3
Texas A&M109.195.913.2
Auburn108.398.99.4
Florida10090.99.1
Kentucky109.3106.72.6
Arkansas101.41010.4
Missouri108.6110.5-1.9
Georgia99.7107.3-7.6
Mississippi St.91.199.5-8.4
Mississippi95.5107.1-11.6
Vanderbilt104.3117.6-13.3
LSU90.1112.7-22.6
South Carolina91115.7-24.7

Clearly Alabama has been the class of the SEC going undefeated. Then you got UT looking solidly as the second best team. Then you got Texas AM, Auburn and UF kind of in that 3rd tier with UK clearly behind those teams along with Arkansas. The rest of the SEC teams have been outscored in conference play.

One thing that surprised me was that UK is 2nd in the league in offensive efficiency. Unfortunately we are only 8th in defensive efficiency. We do have a favorable schedule coming up IMO which should help our numbers and move us close to that Auburn/TexasAM/Florida tier. We do get teams like Auburn, UT, Arkansas at home which will help somewhat.

But we absolutely have to get better on defense.
Why do you say the schedule is favorable? It’s no walk in the park after what we witnessed last night at home. The cupcakes of the sec are behind us except vandy at home. But I agree our defense has to get better. At this point in the season though i wouldn’t bank on it. I honestly don’t know how it can get better unless we go to a zone. Our interior defense may be the worst it’s been under cal well except the 9 win team.

Apparently, some people only pay attention when we have the ball.
Cals always been a defensive first coach. The problem is he’s trying to prove himself as an offensive coach and he’s neglecting the defense. I mean every big we’ve had would be yanked and benched if they defended like Oscar. I say roll with our 3 best shooters. Play Oscar at the 4 and ware at the 5. Rip shots let Oscar rebound put back and lock down the interior. Rotate Livingston and toppin at the 3. Cal won’t do it but no chance with toppin running all over the place and Oscar playing like a pylon on defense

That’s one thing that stands out even during our win streak - we weren’t generating turnovers.

I always think back to that 2015 Duke team, and how they took it to the next level by sticking Winslow at the 4 and pressuring all over the court.

Coach K took it to teams the farther they got and dared the refs to call anything. Cal retreats.
Yep AND he fell back into a zone in the half court. They just simply couldn’t defend M2M so he made that adjustment to go zone. Had he not done that, they lose in the S16 or so.

Reactions: Aike
Why do you say the schedule is favorable? It’s no walk in the park after what we witnessed last night at home. The cupcakes of the sec are behind us except vandy at home. But I agree our defense has to get better. At this point in the season though i wouldn’t bank on it. I honestly don’t know how it can get better unless we go to a zone. Our interior defense may be the worst it’s been under cal well except the 9 win team.

It’s tough but we do have the tougher teams at home. Home vs UT. Home vs Auburn. Home and away vs Arkansas.

There’s opportunities for some resume building wins here

We need what Florida has and what Duke has. A shot blocker constantly in the game altering shots making the team on the other side think about things. Same with Purdue.
John calipari's lost his way. The shot blocker sitting on the bench never plays.
Seen enough for Damien Collins and Lance to tell you they are not shot blockers even though they're tall. Transfer please

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT