ADVERTISEMENT

Edgecombe Top 3…

I hope this isn't like Wiggins in 2014. Kentucky and Duke were thought to be leaders and literally no one thought Kansas was in play. Yet he went there. It'd suck if he picked Duke. Baylor I can live with.
Wiggins was perceived to be a UK lock, then he said nobody was recruiting him
at that point you had to figure out he was not coming to UK
that year they played their home games at Spring Valley H.S.
i watched a lot of his games

We don't often beat Duke for top five RSCI guys.

Boston was the last one, and before that, it was Randle back in 2013.

When Duke goes all-in, they get who they want. If Cal gets Edgecombe, it might be his greatest recruiting coup ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
I think Cal just sent VJ a message by scheduling an official visit with Peterson; either commit asap or maybe we'll take someone just as good or maybe better.
no message sent on that one
Cal has been recruiting Peterson for a long time and many consider UK the leader even after he signed a NIL with Addidus

Reactions: Fox2monk
Right now, personally, I don't see how going to Duke ( or baylor, for that matter) could be a better decision for the young man in regards to his future. Big questions swirl in my mind about where Duke is headed post Coach K, and Baylor doesn't sound like a place that's going to provide the young man with enough exposure for a big splash to the NBA.

Kentucky is the ONLY team that makes sense to me.

I wish him luck in whatever his decision is, but it would be awfully nice to have the young man dress out for Kentucky and play for us.

We shall see.

Wiggins was perceived to be a UK lock, then he said nobody was recruiting him
at that point you had to figure out he was not coming to UK
that year they played their home games at Spring Valley H.S.
i watched a lot of his games

I think a couple things factored into that wiggins decision. It’s like you said, he was considered such a lock for so long that no one else was bothering.

I can’t remember the dudes name now, but the guy that ran his aau team held a grudge against us because a few UK fans responded negatively to anthony bennett picking unlv. Bennett and Wiggins played on the same aau team.

Then you have the fact we were absolutely loaded that season. We already had 5 of the top 10 committed. I’m sure there was a lot of “only one ball” that factored into it.

His host parents in huntington were UL fans. You can even hear one of them saying “i’m just happy it wasn’t Kentucky” in his announcement video.

And ofcourse, Adidas promising him a huge contract once he got to the league. I remember that leaking well before he finished his year but the amount was greatly exaggerated. The rumor was 9 figures but i think it ended up being 25 million. I always wondered if one of the Nike schools involved had that leaked and exaggerated to try and draw more attention to the fact adidas was basically buying players for Kansas.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think a couple things factored into that wiggins decision. It’s like you said, he was considered such a lock for so long that no one else was bothering.

I can’t remember the dudes name now, but the guy that ran his aau team held a grudge against us because a few UK fans responded negatively to anthony bennett picking unlv. Bennett and Wiggins played on the same aau team.

Then you have the fact we were absolutely loaded that season. We already had 5 of the top 10 committed. I’m sure there was a lot of “only one ball” that factored into it.

His host parents in huntington were UL fans. You can even hear one of them saying “i’m just happy it wasn’t Kentucky” in his announcement video.

And ofcourse, Adidas promising him a huge contract once he got to the league. I remember that leaking well before he finished his year but the amount was greatly exaggerated. The rumor was 9 figures but i think it ended up being 25 million. I always wondered if one of the Nike schools involved had that leaked and exaggerated to try and draw more attention to the fact adidas was basically buying players for Kansas.
the host family was a huge factor, everything else is pretty much spot on

If we pull off the improbable and land Edgecombe:

I look for something like this in 2024-2025:

6'3" Sheppard - 18ppg, 4rpg, 7apg (national player of the year).
6'3" Fland - 9ppg, 3rpg, 3apg
6'5" Edgecombe - 13ppg, 5rpg, 2apg
6'8" Thiero - 10ppg, 7rpg, 2bpg
6'9" Quaintance - 13ppg, 8rpg, 2bpg
-------bench-------------

7'0" Onyenso - 6ppg, 6rpg, 3bpg
6'6" Richmond - 4ppg, 3rpg, 1spg
6'8" Burks - 4ppg, 3rpg, 1bpg
6'1" Perry - 4ppg, 2rpg, 2apg
6'10" Cyril - 2ppg, 2rpg, 1bpg
6'5" Hart - 2ppg, 1rpg, 1apg

Last edited:
Reactions: UK67KU59 and dlh331

I would love for Shep to comeback but I just don’t see it.

Will likely - and need to - add some portal transfers to that depth.

Somto?

6'10" Cyril - 2ppg, 2rpg, 1bpg
That would be a contender. I’d like to add another wing from the portal maybe.

Our depth inside could be unreal. Cyril is a beast and he is looking to be our third string Center behind Quaintance and Onyenso. That’s a scary thought for the competition.

I would love for Shep to comeback but I just don’t see it.
'Improbable' my ass. Do you worship Duke or are you oblivious to what's been said on this thread? That comment was directed at the thread above and not True Blue.

'Improbable' my ass. Do you worship Duke or are you oblivious to what's been said on this thread? That comment was directed at the thread above and not True Blue.
What?

Duke's been considered the leader for Edgecombe since the Fall. If UK wins out the recruitment, it will be because we came from behind. That's the very definition of improbable. It's possible we land him, but not probable. Probable would assume we're in the lead for him, and no one believes that at this point.

Also, your assertion that I "worship Duke" is silly. I just started a thread today where I mock their player mentality.

That is to say, pay better attention, amigo.

Edgecombe is going to be another in a long line of players that would be Cats if not for the actions behind the scenes. Calipari did himself no favors, but Nike wanted to go in on Duke and we’re still dealing with it. It’s my hope that Sheyer just isn’t the real deal and they are forced to push elsewhere.

I think there’s no doubt Nike, the NCAA, and the media want UK good and the fans engaged, but they want Duke to represent college basketball. Otherwise someone should explain how coach K goes from holding players back and caring little about their careers to suddenly landing any top target OAD he wants without even showing a change. That’s never happened to that degree in history.

It’s not Duke, it’s the powers that be. And Edgecome is another, like Barrett, like Reddish, like Zion, that would have 100% been UK players had it not been for these influences.

Edgecombe is going to be another in a long line of players that would be Cats if not for the actions behind the scenes. Calipari did himself no favors, but Nike wanted to go in on Duke and we’re still dealing with it. It’s my hope that Sheyer just isn’t the real deal and they are forced to push elsewhere.

I think there’s no doubt Nike, the NCAA, and the media want UK good and the fans engaged, but they want Duke to represent college basketball. Otherwise someone should explain how coach K goes from holding players back and caring little about their careers to suddenly landing any top target OAD he wants without even showing a change. That’s never happened to that degree in history.

It’s not Duke, it’s the powers that be. And Edgecome is another, like Barrett, like Reddish, like Zion, that would have 100% been UK players had it not been for these influences.
Maybe, maybe not. But True Clue apparently can't read. If he read the threads above he would know that my comments were directed at another poster and not him.

As for you, is Edgecombe like Kevinj Knox, Davis, Randle, DJ, Dillingham and Edwards for examples. They didn't all end up at Duke. For the one who did, how did most of them fare in the NBA. I'm not conceding one inch to those pricks at Duke.

Yes, K was an appalling liar and hypocrite and Duke basically bought off most, if not all, the players you noted. If you know something we don't, which you are implying, then share it. If not, just admit that you're guessing and negative like so many on this board.

And finally, according to the post of a sports writer yesterday, we have led for Edgecombe for a while now, and I've heard that from more than just that source.

Have a nice day 'amigo.'

so many others on this board.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. But True Clue apparently can't read. If he read the threads above he would know that my comments were directed at another poster and not him.

As for you, is Edgecombe like Kevinj Knox, Davis, Randle, DJ, Dillingham and Edwards for examples. They didn't all end up at Duke. For the one who did, how did most of them fare in the NBA. I'm not conceding one inch to those pricks at Duke.

Yes, K was an appalling liar and hypocrite and Duke basically bought off most, if not all, the players you noted. If you know something we don't, which you are implying, then share it. If not, just admit that you're guessing and negative like so many others on this board.

I don’t have any information about Edgecome, but it is highly unlikely he ends up at UK. And from the look of it we’ve seen this before. Edgecome seems like the type of player that UK, from his own admission, fits everything he’s looking for. I find it funny when players like him pick Duke. He’s clearly a Calipari OAD type of recruit.

And so when he ends up at Duke which I suspect (unless it’s a special case), it always makes me sick to think about. How many Duke players would be at UK if it weren’t for outside interests and Nike.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I don’t have any information about Edgecome, but it is highly unlikely he ends up at UK. And from the look of it we’ve seen this before. Edgecome seems like the type of player that UK, from his own admission, fits everything he’s looking for. I find it funny when players like him pick Duke. He’s clearly a Calipari OAD type of recruit.

And so when he ends up at Duke which I suspect (unless it’s a special case), it always makes me sick to think about. How many Duke players would be at UK if it weren’t for outside interests and Nike.
A lot and I hate it as much as you, but K isn't the face of Duke anymore, witness the fact that our freshmen class this year is probably a cut above theirs. Things change. Alabama isn't dominating football recruiting since the emergence of Clemson, Georgia and now maybe Michigan or the other 2 teams playing now. Don't count UK out until it's a done deal one way or the other. At least UK doesn't put their top target's parents in mansions and God knows what else. Even then, how many did K win once he went to OAD? All I can count is one in 2015 that we choked away by losing to Wisconsin in what has to rank as one of the worst meltdowns in NCAAT history, right up there with Memphis State and Cincinnati in 1963.

It's nice to hear that college basketball is rigged just like everything else in America, assuming your guesswork is meritorious.

Reactions: Kentucky15
Rooster GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

When will he announce?

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
That would be a contender. I’d like to add another wing from the portal maybe.

Our depth inside could be unreal. Cyril is a beast and he is looking to be our third string Center behind Quaintance and Onyenso. That’s a scary thought for the competition.
I’m wondering if Quaintance will play some PF, he’s pretty versatile.

I’m wondering if Quaintance will play some PF, he’s pretty versatile.
Quaintance is going to be allowed to play various spots on the floor. This is a basketball unicorn--being so skilled and talented and basically a "baby". There is always talk of "unicorns" too-but when you see a 6'10 230 lb 16 yr old who can handle/pass/move like he does and still possesses dominant physical play near the rim....you let him play and stay out of the way.

Put the recruit talk aside-he literally is one of the few people on the planet who play the sport at 6'10 who can get a rebound and lead a fastbreak successfully and consistently (key words) and he's 16 years old. 95% of the others who can are already in the NBA or Professionally play overseas.

We don't often beat Duke for top five RSCI guys.

Boston was the last one, and before that, it was Randle back in 2013.

When Duke goes all-in, they get who they want. If Cal gets Edgecombe, it might be his greatest recruiting coup ever.
It all changed with Zion Williamson and given that Duke did nothing with him & Scheyer is a douchebag, it should be swinging back to Kentucky. Only a matter of time. Just need Edgecombe to realize it before it happens.

Quaintance is going to be allowed to play various spots on the floor. This is a basketball unicorn--being so skilled and talented and basically a "baby". There is always talk of "unicorns" too-but when you see a 6'10 230 lb 16 yr old who can handle/pass/move like he does and still possesses dominant physical play near the rim....you let him play and stay out of the way.

Put the recruit talk aside-he literally is one of the few people on the planet who play the sport at 6'10 who can get a rebound and lead a fastbreak successfully and consistently (key words) and he's 16 years old. 95% of the others who can are already in the NBA or Professionally play overseas.

I can't imagine what a sophomore Quaintance would look like next to a guy like Dybantsa either. Interestingly, Dybantsa is 6 months older than Quaintance as is Darryn Peterson.

I can't imagine what a sophomore Quaintance would look like next to a guy like Dybantsa either. Interestingly, Dybantsa is 6 months older than Quaintance as is Darryn Peterson.
The matchup problems he'll create in CBB is insane. He can destroy bigs who try to cover him on perimeter and if you put smaller guys on him-he can take them down and punish them/carry them through the rim. What he is now is tremendous but what he's going to be is unreal. Think so many evaluators try to justify their favorites, but if you use any scale of evaluating a prospect, it's embarrassing where he's ranked in the '24 class. He is already light years superior to some of the guys they have ahead of him. Right now I'd have Ace Bailey #1 in the country and Cooper Flagg #2 with Quaintance passing both up by time he's done with CBB.

My top 10 wish list for the next few seasons:

#1. A national title.
#2. Three seasons from Sheppard.
#3. Sheppard NPOY in 2025 and 2026.
#4. Edgecombe to Kentucky.
#5. Two seasons from Quaintance.
#6. Dybantsa to Kentucky.
#7. Peterson to Kentucky.
#8. Caleb Wilson to Kentucky.
#9. Jasper Johnson to Kentucky.
#10. Tyran Stokes to Kentucky.

Quaintance as the #1 pick in 2026. Dybantsa as the #2 pick. Stokes reclassifies and plays with Quaintance, Dybantsa, and a junior Sheppard.

Sheppard
Stokes
Dybantsa
Thiero
Quaintance =

40-0

That is awesome then, sounds like we have our PF in a bigger lineup.

#1. A national title.

Quaintance as the #1 pick in 2026. Dybantsa as the #2 pick. Stokes reclassifies and plays with Quaintance, Dybantsa, and a junior Sheppard.

Sheppard
Stokes
Dybantsa
Thiero
Quaintance =

40-0
That’s a mighty wishlist, if Sheppard stays 3 years that would be awesome.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

#1. A national title.

Sheppard
Stokes
Dybantsa
Thiero
Quaintance =

40-0
I think Cal has a chance at closing his career at UK similar/better than how he started. There are 3 obstacles outside of his control:

3. Officials can’t stand him; some of that is his fault. All a close NCAAT loss needs is to have a Higgins type ass reffing our game

2. The NCAA will do almost anything to keep Cal from being the face of college basketball

1. Most importantly, our AD is very much against Cal having major success

All IMO

The matchup problems he'll create in CBB is insane. He can destroy bigs who try to cover him on perimeter and if you put smaller guys on him-he can take them down and punish them/carry them through the rim. What he is now is tremendous but what he's going to be is unreal. Think so many evaluators try to justify their favorites, but if you use any scale of evaluating a prospect, it's embarrassing where he's ranked in the '24 class. He is already light years superior to some of the guys they have ahead of him. Right now I'd have Ace Bailey #1 in the country and Cooper Flagg #2 with Quaintance passing both up by time he's done with CBB.
I think Quaintance is our best chance to land Edgecombe. He wants to play with Edgecombe and those two together would be lightning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT