ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Gran style of play in 2019.

Sep 9, 2015
Now that Benny is headed to the NFL and Terry TD has the best season in 42 years under his belt, how will Sir Edward proceed?

I know coach Stoops likes the old school pound it running attack but let's face it AJ is faster but not gonna get the grinding yards Benny Jr did.

Also most people will expect Lynn Bowden Jr to be the go to guy and he's gonna get his either way. But what will the overall offense look like with our all time yardage leader departed?

I look for Terry TD to be much improved in his progressions and I think he will run more than he did last season and still believe AJ could get a 1000 yards as well but hopefully we will be able to turn the offense loose and show an ability to open things up and spread the ball around lots more.

Now that Benny is headed to the NFL and Terry TD has the best season in 42 years under his belt, how will Sir Edward proceed?

I know coach Stoops likes the old school pound it running attack but let's face it AJ is faster but not gonna get the grinding yards Benny Jr did.

Also most people will expect Lynn Bowden Jr to be the go to guy and he's gonna get his either way. But what will the overall offense look like with our all time yardage leader departed?

I look for Terry TD to be much improved in his progressions and I think he will run more than he did last season and still believe AJ could get a 1000 yards as well but hopefully we will be able to turn the offense loose and show an ability to open things up and spread the ball around lots more.
Hopefully the kind of offense that wins 10 more games

Rose is more than just a speed back. He may not be Benny but he runs hard & breaks tackles as well. I think he’s more than capable of getting tough yards between the tackles. And, we also have two sledgehammers in Smoke & Rodriguez who can move the pile. I’m not the least bit worried about that unit.

We don't have the personnel to open up anything. I expect more of the same with heavy run by committee. Hopefully short passing game improves dramatically and we start to get a little intermediate passing in our game plan. Still going to have trouble against run stop defenses, especially on the road. Road games bring big D efforts, which translates to tough games for the Kats. Should be a winning season, and we could surprise some folks again. Will we win 10? It is possible, but we're going to have to have numerous players stand up and contribute big time. We'll see how the Spring game looks and then we'll be able to look forward to the season.

Quite a bit depends on Terry Wilson getting quicker in the offense as you said but Rose is a good runner and a much better pass catcher than Benny. With Roses speed I fully expect the screen game to come back into the offense and those little passes that used to go to Benny in the flat for three yards before he ran out of bounds to be potentially a lot more explosive.

Of course with Smoke and Rodriguez well still have additional power run game options.

Reactions: hunterpapa
We don't have the personnel to open up anything. I expect more of the same with heavy run by committee. Hopefully short passing game improves dramatically and we start to get a little intermediate passing in our game plan. Still going to have trouble against run stop defenses, especially on the road. Road games bring big D efforts, which translates to tough games for the Kats. Should be a winning season, and we could surprise some folks again. Will we win 10? It is possible, but we're going to have to have numerous players stand up and contribute big time. We'll see how the Spring game looks and then we'll be able to look forward to the season.
Agree with this....just hard to the see the outside WR talent that would allow UK to "open it up" the way many imagine. Hopefully Terry can see the passing game better to hit more short/intermediate passes....and rushing game by committee Rose/Wilson/CRod, etc...with some WR runs in Bowden.

I'm fully aware of Gran's past. I also know that if you don't do what your boss tells you to do that you get fired. Mark Stoops is a ground and pound coach that wants to win games that way with a good defense That's what he is and that's what any offensive coordinator that works for him will be unless he wants to lose his job. It's not a complaint about anything, just an observation.

I don't think Mark Stoops will ever let an offensive coordinator open up the offense as long as he's alive.
Stubborn negative thinking. Gran calls the offensive plays. You can conjure up a boogie man looking over Gran’s shoulder if you want, but I don’t see that. Gran has simply been doing what was necessary to optimize production with the players on hand at the time. Let’s remember that we just upset Penn State in the Citrus Bowl.

Last edited:
So much depends on how good and SEC-ready guys like Crumes, Harris, Dailey and Wagner are, how much Epps and Ali improve and what kind of TE's Upshaw, Bate and Rigg end up being. I don't care about 50 passes per game. The UF, SCjr and MSU games were things of beauty and we didn't throw much.
I like Gran - 100% sure that he is competent and a great fit. Some of the situational play calls were head-scratchers though - I think TW's year of experience plus a spring and fall camp will help with that.
We shall see. Maybe I'm a pumper but I expect 8+ wins.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
So much depends on how good and SEC-ready guys like Crumes, Harris, Dailey and Wagner are, how much Epps and Ali improve and what kind of TE's Upshaw, Bate and Rigg end up being.

Replacing Conrad is asking a lot, but I think Rigg and Bates are very capable. Rigg is a big body and thunder blocker that has paid his dues. Bates was a highly rated prospect. Upshaw will miss spring drills while rehabbing, so our expectations for him should be put on hold although he will be a good player eventually. Ognenovic is intriguing, but probably won’t play ahead of Rigg or Bates.

I think Harris and Crumes would be best served by a redshirt. That doesn’t mean it will happen that way, but both are in the 160-170# range and that limits them as SEC receivers playing against physical future NFL DBs every week.

Ahmad Wagner kind of reminds me of Kayaune Ross. They are the same size, and about the same skill set although Wagner’s hands are better.

Ali made progress in 2018, but Epps didn’t. Dailey is a possession receiver that blocks well. Although Marvin Alexander, Bryce Oliver, and Akeem Hayes are unknown quantities to a certain extent, I believe a couple of them can help us next year. Lynn Bowden is the playmaker of this bunch, but we need more playmakers at the WR position. Losing Tavin Richardson, if he follows through with the transfer, hurts more than some people think. It would be nice to sign Lee or Payton next week.

Kirby Smart just tried to hire Eddie Gran to become Georgia’s new OC. Smart knows what some of our own fans don’t know about Gran. It would have meant making more than $1 million a year. Gran said no. That’s a break for us.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Rose will more of a receiver out of the backfield than Snell, who didn’t have good hands. Expect to see more outlet passes, screens, wheel routes etc.... Rose is not a power back so we won’t pound it repeatedly. I’d like to see intermediate routes developed but I don’t think that will be a strength for this team.

Expect short routes and bombs mixed with fewer runs than previous years. CJ is gone and we didn’t use intermediate routes with him, so why would we go there now? We won’t and Terry hasn’t shown enough accuracy in that zone anyway, he’s better at throwing deep.

Stubborn negative thinking. Gran calls the offensive plays. You can conjure up a boogie man looking over Gran’s shoulder if you want, but I don’t see that. Gran has simply been doing what was necessary to optimize production with the players on hand at the time. Let’s remember that we just upset Penn State in the Citrus Bowl.
Why is it negative thinking? I didn't say we were going to suck or go straight to the crapper. I just said that Mark Stoops is a control the ball and win with defense type of coach and Eddie Gran works for Mark Stoops. There are a lot of ways to win a football game.

Just wanted to insert some facts amongst the opinion.

Average yards per game
2018 - 162 pass, 202 run
2017 - 188 pass, 161 run
2016 - 186 pass, 234 run
2015 - 209 pass, 162 run
2014 - 231 pass, 153 run
2103 - 193 pass, 147 run

Exactly. There has been variation depending on the personnel available.

No OC under Stoops has had a great passing QB option......nor WR's....to warrant a lot more balance. Stoops has said again and again that they want to be balanced......they want to throw more......they want to be flexible to adjust to the personnel. The question isn't "what offense is desired" as he has stated his desired offense 1,000x already in public......not to mention backed that up with 3 different OC hires. The question should be "why haven't we had personnel to run the offense after 6 yrs?"

It's not hard to make and educated guess as to what the offense will look like next yr.

1. QB - Wilson returns. Almost every QB improves in his passing from the yr before. Shoot, there was even improvement in the passing game throughout the yr. Wilson's first 6 games averaged.....

65.5% comp, 117 yds/game, 0.5 TD/game
64.4% comp, 169 yds/game, 1.1 TD/game

And now he has a proven commodity in Bowden....and has Rose in the backfield. So this indicates improvement in the passing game for next yr. That being said, Wilson also runs it well....so this will continue.

2. RB - 76% of the RB carries went to Snell...leaving 19% to Rose. Yet, Rose had 32% of the RB catches. Rose is just a much better catcher than Snell. So, it's reasonable to assume that Rose will render more of a passing game. On the flip side, Rose isn't the high volume ground pounder that Snell is....which again indicates more of a balanced attack.

3. WR - Bowden is now a proven factor. His first 6 games last yr he averaged 4.5 catches for 45.5 yds per game. His last 7 games he averaged 5.7 catches for 67.4 yds per game. But that's about it. We don't have other WR's that are proven. So, one would gather that the staff will manufacture ways to get Bowden the ball, but unless some guys step up, we're going to be looking at a rushing biased attack.

4. OL - Most of the OL returns.....but importantly the OT's. We've had a stellar interior OL the last several yrs which is the engine to a good rushing attack, but we've not been super stellar at OT. Last yr we did decent at OT and we look even better for next yr. That likely translates to better pass protection. Again indicating better passing.

5. Defense - The defense should be stout "enough" to support a more balanced and explosive offense if they're capable of running it. So, the defense shouldn't dictate the offense too much.

So, to summarize. It's reasonable to expect a more balanced offense. I guess it'll be still quite a bit run biased, but it'll be more balanced than this yr. If Wilson and/or the WR's (not named Bowden) develop, the offense could be very balanced.

Why is it negative thinking? I didn't say we were going to suck or go straight to the crapper. I just said that Mark Stoops is a control the ball and win with defense type of coach and Eddie Gran works for Mark Stoops. There are a lot of ways to win a football game.

I don't think it's negative thinking at all. We're just not in agreement. Stoops has said over and over again what he desires in an offense. And what I have seen/heard from my days inside the program, he hasn't lied.

Reactions: Glenn's take
Replacing Conrad is asking a lot, but I think Rigg and Bates are very capable. Rigg is a big body and thunder blocker that has paid his dues. Bates was a highly rated prospect. Upshaw will miss spring drills while rehabbing, so our expectations for him should be put on hold although he will be a good player eventually. Ognenovic is intriguing, but probably won’t play ahead of Rigg or Bates.

I think Harris and Crumes would be best served by a redshirt. That doesn’t mean it will happen that way, but both are in the 160-170# range and that limits them as SEC receivers playing against physical future NFL DBs every week.

Ahmad Wagner kind of reminds me of Kayaune Ross. They are the same size, and about the same skill set although Wagner’s hands are better.

Ali made progress in 2018, but Epps didn’t. Dailey is a possession receiver that blocks well. Although Marvin Alexander, Bryce Oliver, and Akeem Hayes are unknown quantities to a certain extent, I believe a couple of them can help us next year. Lynn Bowden is the playmaker of this bunch, but we need more playmakers at the WR position. Losing Tavin Richardson, if he follows through with the transfer, hurts more than some people think. It would be nice to sign Lee or Payton next week.

Kirby Smart just tried to hire Eddie Gran to become Georgia’s new OC. Smart knows what some of our own fans don’t know about Gran. It would have meant making more than $1 million a year. Gran said no. That’s a break for us.
Replacing Conrad's blocking ability will be tough. But Rigg is supposedly a great receiving TE, even better than Conrad. Upshaw should be a beast receiving.

Good post RV2.

UK was a 50/50 R/P team in Stoops first 3 yrs (OCs Brown, Dawson) but has been a 60/40 R/P team the past 3 years (OC Gran).

As discussed in some other threads, until shown otherwise, there are shortcomings in all 3 aspects of the passing game (passing, receiving and protecting). I'm not sure how much improvement to expect.

So I expect we will see more of the same offense (i.e., run first) come next year. JMO

Peace

I don't see us having the same success next year as this past season if we don't mix it up a bit more. No one can argue that we didn't have major offensive issues for about half of the season. Most teams had us figured out after the 4th game at halftime and I think we are going to have to majorly improve the passing game or we will be right back to struggling to score, but not have the best defensive player in college to bail us out. The offense will need to take a larger role in our success.

Simply put:
1 ) I expect more Veer style edge runs with AJ
2 ) I expect more short "on the run" style passing getting into hands of playmakers more quickly
3) I suspect we will be hitting some posts on mini roll-outs (a la TD to Lynn at FLA / SJ to Juice)
4) Believe it will allow for more TE now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I know - it is NEVER happening
5) I literally suspect we will be more dynamic and not as static in playcalling due to not having the greatest RB we have ever had

Reactions: Deeeefense
Just wanted to insert some facts amongst the opinion.

Average yards per game
2018 - 162 pass, 202 run
2017 - 188 pass, 161 run
2016 - 186 pass, 234 run
2015 - 209 pass, 162 run
2014 - 231 pass, 153 run
2103 - 193 pass, 147 run

So, what "facts" are you trying to convey here?

If we drill down into this data base, will we find your average concludes that we are a "balanced" offense (what is the cutoff for balanced)? Is that your opinion, or is it one of those "just the facts jack" postulations? Curious minds, not wrapped up in aluminum foil, want to know.

So, what "facts" are you trying to convey here?

If we drill down into this data base, will we find your average concludes that we are a "balanced" offense (what is the cutoff for balanced)? Is that your opinion, or is it one of those "just the facts jack" postulations? Curious minds, not wrapped up in aluminum foil, want to know.
I think "the facts" he is trying to convey is that in 2013-2015 UK basically ran a 50/50 R/P offense and finished 12-24. In 2016-2018 UK basically ran a 60/40 R/P offense and finished 24-15. (Yes, I know there is more to it than that but those kind of things stick in coaches' minds. [winking])

Peace

Always loved the Joker OC attack in the red zone with option. It totally caught teams off guard.

If Terry is able to mix it up and tuck it himself and run for long yardage after he's opened up the field by passing some deep balls and TE middle ball. We could take another unexpected step up in production and wins if our D has a truly feel good story like Pashcal coming on like Allan and going from the hospital to all SEC. The media would love that story almost as much as UK fans would.

Reactions: The-Hack
The triumvirate of TW, Bowden, and Rose should provide not only some explosive firepower but balanced as well.

In addition to Bowden on the perimeter, Rose could be a nice weapon in the passing game out of the backfield.

With a talent like TW you have to unleash the RPO, especially short yardage and in the red zone in both cases, we need less goofy wildcat packages and more legit QB run-pass option.

Those three will undoubtedly be the bread and butter but in addition to the offense going through them, we have to have some more production out of the TE and other WRs in the intermediate to deep passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT