ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Gran makes almost a million dollars a year.

Gran looks at that play sheet. It has 5 plays.

Don't know about that but he looks at it too damn much. Supposedly he was great at UC, don't know.

But it appears to me that most of the time he has no feel for what's going on in the game.

Prime example is the 3rd and short against Florida after Frank's injury. I know next to nothing about the intracies of football but I fully expected Smith to walk up behind the center and sneak it and do it again on 4th if necessary. It had worked twice previously. But no, give it Rose as tho he were Benny (he isn't and that hadn't been working)

Another time 2 or 3 years ago (can't remember opponent but home game Cats lost), there was a pass to Conrad over the middle for a TD maybe 20/30 yds. Don't recall if just play action or rpo but no matter. On the opponents next possession they gave it right back with either a short punt or maybe interception around their own 40. I'm thinking run the same play that just scored. But no it was not run again the rest of the game. Don't remember what plays were called but no points came of it and the Cats wound up losing. Some of you may remember.

Again I never played the game but there I times I think I could call a better play than whoever is doing it. Again, I don't think the play caller has a very good feel of the game way too often. Just sticks to the game plan regardless of what's happened on the field.

Now tonite the play caller's hands were tied but still some calls seemed quite strange. Like two consecutive possessions in the 2nd half when the first play was a wide receiver screen which hadn't worked all nite and didn't either of those times.

My only other complaint would be mostly a lack of offensive innovation especially in the passing game. They don't want anything like s wide-open offense and it shows when they have to open it up a bit. Offense scheming is just an afterthought to CMS.

Oh well it's only a game after all.

why are you interjecting an opinion i’m not inquiring on? yes you seem to be saying that to everyone. that’s neat, i happen to disagree.

His best offense since he has been here is ranked in the mid 80s nationally. He somehow had the number 6 ranked offense at Cincy, but has been horrible here. Is it Stoops handcuffing him? SEC defensive coaches better than him? Something is wrong and it started in 2016, and didn't just happen when TW was injured.

Completely agree however, he is exactly what CMS and MB want.

Stoops wants a ball control offense that keeps the score down. He is not going to open it up regardless of who the coordinator is. Gran has also done a poor job here, and QB recruiting is not going to get any better because good QBs do not want to play boring football .

“Let’s keep running it right here Eddie.”

“Keep running it, keep running it.”

“Let’s chew up some clock here Eddie.”

“Keep giving it to him Eddie.”

-Stoops, SEC Inside last year

Free pass Eddie. He's like teflon , no matter how bad it gets nothing sticks to him. Four years of offenses ranked in the mid 80s (probably worse this year) and nothing is his fault.

His best offense since he has been here is ranked in the mid 80s nationally. He somehow had the number 6 ranked offense at Cincy, but has been horrible here. Is it Stoops handcuffing him? SEC defensive coaches better than him? Something is wrong and it started in 2016, and didn't just happen when TW was injured.
when you’re more a running team the yards per play and overall yards are usually less right? i think of it like would you rather have a qb who can throw for 300 yards in the offense or have a guy that passes for 180 but gets you 50 yards rushing. to me those 50 yards rushing is way undervalued as a stat. and in the sec it’s very necessary to have. you can’t get off the field as easy against a qb like that because there are more ways for him to get first downs.

it’s like comparing nebraska and miami 25 years ago. miami could pass for 300 and run for 150 while nebraska runs for 250 and passes for 100. the stats say miami had a better offense but who’s offense was less likely to give them a 3 and out? nebraska wouldn’t have but a couple incompletions. so who is more efficient? who is less likely to be taken off the field faster?

it means long drives maybe and smaller chunks, but it keeps your defense off the field and keeps the game shorter and the score closer (if that is by design like it was for us). it also has the effect of wearing the other team’s defense down to where running in the 4th quarter can demoralize them. i think a lot of this strategy is on stoops obviously and is old school but that to me is a sign of prosperity in this conference, not needing a gimmick offense to compete. in terms of playing to the personnel the last few years it makes sense to me. i think being methodical is on purpose because there is a game plan to out physical the other team over the course of the 60 minutes. this is old school but seemed to be working for us. jmho

I do have doubts as to whether he will ever be able to implement an effective passing game. And it’s not just the quarterbacks. I don’t think we’ve ever had good timing and our receivers have never run crisp routes.

I'm tired of people talking about TW like he is/was Michael F'ing Vick or Tim Tebow.

Dude had an all-timer at RB and a top-tier defense last year.

I'm not saying he isn't talented with nice potential, I'm saying it took him all year to throw about 11 scores and barely sniff 2,000 yards. He was looking decent up until his injury this season, but he wasn't setting the world on fire.

That's not entirely on him though. Outside of a couple of good running backs, the EG offense has been hot garbage.

No reliable production from anyone outside of the ground game. Game planning, play calling, and in-game management has been as bad as I've seen it.

His seeming outright refusal to use the TE and RB in the passing game is dumbfounding.

His obsession and overuse of the Wildcat are costing us drives and momentum.

Reactions: thepip
Good to see the same five or six trolls still making threads.

Ya gran is so awful UGA tried to hire him away. But I'm sure you few trolls know better than a football powerhouse

Reactions: JC CATS
When do you start being held accountable for performance? Ranked in the bottom half of CFB on a yearly basis and still get a free pass?
You mean like last season? Some of you guys couldn't wait to pile on. I thought you had changed you are a knee jerk reactionary guy. Next year you can stay off the bandwagon

Don't know about that but he looks at it too damn much. Supposedly he was great at UC, don't know.

But it appears to me that most of the time he has no feel for what's going on in the game.

Prime example is the 3rd and short against Florida after Frank's injury. I know next to nothing about the intracies of football but I fully expected Smith to walk up behind the center and sneak it and do it again on 4th if necessary. It had worked twice previously. But no, give it Rose as tho he were Benny (he isn't and that hadn't been working)

Another time 2 or 3 years ago (can't remember opponent but home game Cats lost), there was a pass to Conrad over the middle for a TD maybe 20/30 yds. Don't recall if just play action or rpo but no matter. On the opponents next possession they gave it right back with either a short punt or maybe interception around their own 40. I'm thinking run the same play that just scored. But no it was not run again the rest of the game. Don't remember what plays were called but no points came of it and the Cats wound up losing. Some of you may remember.

Again I never played the game but there I times I think I could call a better play than whoever is doing it. Again, I don't think the play caller has a very good feel of the game way too often. Just sticks to the game plan regardless of what's happened on the field.

Now tonite the play caller's hands were tied but still some calls seemed quite strange. Like two consecutive possessions in the 2nd half when the first play was a wide receiver screen which hadn't worked all nite and didn't either of those times.

My only other complaint would be mostly a lack of offensive innovation especially in the passing game. They don't want anything like s wide-open offense and it shows when they have to open it up a bit. Offense scheming is just an afterthought to CMS.

Oh well it's only a game after all.[/QUOTE
Hate play charts with a passion. Play calling should be a feel thing based on what your seeing, matchups your, whose winning the line of scrimmage etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT