ADVERTISEMENT

Easy to understand the angst Arkansas fans have toward UK.

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
Beating the Hogs in the 1978 Final Four.

Eddie Sutton saying he would crawl from Fayetteville to Lexington.

The end of the Nolan Richardson era basically beginning with a postgame press conference after a loss to UK.

A 10 game losing streak to UK spanning from 2001 to 2010.

The Hogs are currently riding a 5 game losing streak into Tuesday night's game.

Arkansas offered their head coaching position to 2 coaches who would turn them down and would eventually wind up at UK.

https://www.memphisflyer.com/memphi...-coaching-job-at-arkansas/Content?oid=1134962

http://www.razorbloggers.net/2007/03/report-broyles-offers-job-to-gillispie/

Of course, taking instate 5 star recruits Archie Goodwin and Malik Monk is another stick in the craw for Hog fans.

I almost feel as though UK should offer an apology to Arkansas for how roughly we've treated them over the years.

And oh yeah, as I mentioned in the other thread, UK football holds a 4-3 series lead over the historic gridiron Hogs since they joined the SEC.

Wow, Hog fans. After typing all that, I realize how much we've sh!t all over you guys over the years.

I don't know if they go THAT far back. 1978 and the Eddie Sutton years were so long ago, most of their fans weren't alive.

I think the hatred comes from Malik Monk and just kicking their butt. We've kinda been the Yankees of the SEC since time began, and nobody likes the Yankees.

Reactions: Elliott Tim
I don't know if they go THAT far back. 1978 and the Eddie Sutton years were so long ago, most of their fans weren't alive.

I think the hatred comes from Malik Monk and just kicking their butt. We've kinda been the Yankees of the SEC since time began, and nobody likes the Yankees.
Hey wait a minute, it doesn't feel like that many years ago.

The end of the Nolan Richardson era basically beginning with a postgame press conference after a loss to UK.

Arkansas offered their head coaching position to 2 coaches who would turn them down and would eventually wind up at UK.

https://www.memphisflyer.com/memphi...-coaching-job-at-arkansas/Content?oid=1134962

Of course, taking instate 5 star recruits Archie Goodwin and Malik Monk is another stick in the craw for Hog fans.

I almost feel as though UK should offer an apology to Arkansas for how roughly we've treated them over the years.

And oh yeah, as I mentioned in the other thread, UK football holds a 4-3 series lead over the historic gridiron Hogs since they joined the SEC.

Wow, Hog fans. After typing all that, I realize how much we've sh!t all over you guys over the years.
Remember listening to cowherd several years ago and an arkansas fan called in and was ragging on ky. Cowherd responded by saying and i quote “you(arkansas) are nothing to ky in hoops”. Never will forget that and he was totally spot on

Reactions: wildcatwelder
They’re just whiny bitches.

They thought they were gonna be the new king of the SEC when they joined, and they quickly had to meet reality where Kentucky is, was, and will forever be the King in the SEC, as long as we are apart of it.

They came into the league thinking that they were going to take over the conference and push UK out of it's status. There are a ton of Arkansas fans in the DFW area and I heard all of the talk about how "Kentucky's days as SEC top dogs are over", "Arkansas is going to dominate the SEC", 'Hog fans will take the SECT by storm", etc. Of course, the media down here was pro-Arkansas which helped fuel a lot of the talk. Wendell Barnhouse and Gil Lebreton from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram got a lot of the Arkansas fans fired up but they soon found out that life in the SEC wasn't so easy. IMO, that's where a lot of their hatred comes from and taking recruits didn't help matters.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

Some of it does come from the 1978 FF, as Arkansas truly believed that they were the best team that season. Even Eddie Sutton, after he took the UK job, made the remark something along the liens that if you played the Final Four four times that year there would've been four different champions. Sure.

Reactions: yankeekam
I will never, ever forget this...

I was in Nashville for the 2015 SEC tournament, with friends. Had a box at Bridgestone with multiple tickets to spare.

Met an Arkansas fan who claimed “we own Calipari”.

We agreed he could come to the box and watch the game (seats worth probably $1500 a piece, given for free).

We also agreed we’d bet $1000 that Kentucky would win by a minimum of 8 points. He said I was crazy. His team owned Cal.

We were very cordial, but he was even more so cocksure.

Of course, we wasted them that game. Funniest part is the guy actually showed up for the first half, I let him in, gave him booze and all the food he could eat. 5 minutes in to the second half, him and his friend mysteriously disappeared.

I called and text him after the game, but am stilll wondering what happened to him.

I will never, ever forget this...

I was in Nashville for the 2015 SEC tournament, with friends. Had a box at Bridgestone with multiple tickets to spare.

Met an Arkansas fan who claimed “we own Calipari”.

We agreed he could come to the box and watch the game (seats worth probably $1500 a piece, given for free).

We also agreed we’d bet $1000 that Kentucky would win by a minimum of 8 points. He said I was crazy. His team owned Cal.

We were very cordial, but he was even more so cocksure.

Of course, we wasted them that game. Funniest part is the guy actually showed up for the first half, I let him in, gave him booze and all the food he could eat. 5 minutes in to the second half, him and his friend mysteriously disappeared.

I called and text him after the game, but am stilll wondering what happened to him.

That's how I feel about @MudererofCrows

Owes me 5 hundo over kentucky football

What press conference are you referencing that was the end for old Nolan?

What press conference are you referencing that was the end for old Nolan?

We beat them towards the end of the 2002 season, and Nolan said something to the effect of "if they want to take my job from me they can have it" during the press conference. He was fired the next day and Anderson became interim head coach.

We beat them towards the end of the 2002 season, and Nolan said something to the effect of "if they want to take my job from me they can have it" during the press conference. He was fired the next day and Anderson became interim head coach.
Oh yeah. Almost like he was daring them to fire him. I'd forgotten that.

Man, I wish they had gotten Billy Gillispie instead of us. :(
unfortunately we needed the shit show that was BCG to get Cal cause if barnhart had hired someone even remotely more successful or slightly less crazy and drunk than BCG we would be stuck with a mediocre program still

Reactions: Bluegrassking
why because Cal turned Arkansas down in 01
Whew, too many reasons to list, but mostly because even though he is a great recruiter, I consider him an average coach and the perception of sleeziness that surrounds him everywhere that he has been. Look up the Lou Carneseca cancer allegation he supposedly made when he was a young assistant. I know you guys love him and that's great, I just never have cared for him.

Reactions: doinswine
Whew, too many reasons to list, but mostly because even though he is a great recruiter, I consider him an average coach and the perception of sleeziness that surrounds him everywhere that he has been. Look up the Lou Carneseca cancer allegation he supposedly made when he was a young assistant. I know you guys love him and that's great, I just never have cared for him.
You hate Cal and yet you had that racist POS Richardson as your Coach.

You hate Cal and yet you had that racist POS Richardson as your Coach.
Yes, I would take Richardson in his prime over Calipari all day long. Nolan definitely had a chip on his shoulder, but to call him a racist is crazy. Nolan experienced plenty of issues and challenges throughout his upbringing, probably many more than most of us could possibly imagine.

P_SS on Arkansas or is it, Ar-Kansas? You "guys" ought to team up together...you may have a better chance at your objectives...whatever those objectives are...

ThreeHogNight, I'm sure Nolan did face some issues growing up, but he also had some opportunity's too. I'm not sure but I thought he said Arkansas was a racist institution on the way out but they hired a minority as the next coach and then another after Pelphrey so I don't think he was right if he did say it.

ThreeHogNight, I'm sure Nolan did face some issues growing up, but he also had some opportunity's too. I'm not sure but I thought he said Arkansas was a racist institution on the way out but they hired a minority as the next coach and then another after Pelphrey so I don't think he was right if he did say it.

Frank Broyles (the Arkansas AD at the time) admitted under oath at a deposition that he called Nolan the N-word to other people.

Nolan was on the hot seat during the 2000 season, where they only made the tourney because they won the SECT, and then had more grumblings when the Joe Johnson team lost on a last second lay up to Georgetown in the first round of the NCAA the following year. Nolan felt like he was beyond reproach and had earned the right to have a few down years. Frank disagreed. The university settled the lawsuit and Nolan has since been welcomed back into the fold.

Frank Broyles (the Arkansas AD at the time) admitted under oath at a deposition that he called Nolan the N-word to other people.

Nolan was on the hot seat during the 2000 season, where they only made the tourney because they won the SECT, and then had more grumblings when the Joe Johnson team lost on a last second lay up to Georgetown in the first round of the NCAA the following year. Nolan felt like he was beyond reproach and had earned the right to have a few down years. Frank disagreed. The university settled the lawsuit and Nolan has since been welcomed back into the fold.
Nailed it Celticat, may the best team win tomorrow.

It was a real mess on his way out, thankfully, all of that is history.

Reactions: doinswine
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT