ADVERTISEMENT

E60 on ESPN 2 major investigative report on UL

OUCH! Jurich is a crook who lined his pockets with millions at the expense of the taxpayers in Jefferson County and he has the audacity to take this "woe is me" approach, claiming that he was just doing his job. He's a total piece of shit!

Reactions: GG24 and JoeBeeHall
Jurich is a man of average height, but even at 61, he carries himself with a pugnacious, intimidating intensity. Charming and warm one minute, he is sometimes defensive and suspicious. As athletic director, Jurich rarely texted or used email, fearful it could be used against him. "Why have more fodder for people?" he says. "You know how I communicated with people? I picked up the phone, and I went to their face."

Clearly paranoid and with good reason. As the article clearly shows....he was no more than a crime boss. You hide your communications because you do not want them to be used against you because what you are saying cannot be used to HELP you. He is a thug and a bully.

Jurich sought to neutralize the scandals and shape the athletic department's image by controlling the local media, according to interviews with more than half a dozen journalists and media executives -- many of whom requested anonymity out of fear of reprisals from Louisville, even with Jurich gone. They described consistent and aggressive efforts to influence coverage, including abusive calls to radio talk-show hosts and executives by Jurich and his surrogates; threats to get advertising pulled from stations; and attempts to influence hiring and firing.

When a Jurich said he’s given the school nothing but dignity, it proved that the real definition doesn’t apply to the university.
You can’t defend Petrino, ignore the request to fire Pitino for trashing his best friend’s name, and give Adidas unfettered access to the program and state you have dignity.

What a farce that’s been created here, and it fell on one man.

I also liked that there was a link between UL and the Clinton presidency. Proves to me that lessons were learned in the White House using corruption, so UL had their template to shakedown its supporters.

I'm grateful I've never been a UofL fan or student. No other article I've read says, "You've been deceived , stolen from, and conned out of millions of dollars. Plus... this isn't new news."

Education took a back seat to the idiots that threw the school's name out there as just a name to become millionaires. Taxpayers will foot the bill for many years while Jurich is sitting at his beach house in Clearwater, Fl., wearing UofL Addidas gear, and sipping margaritas saying, "Whoa is me."

Disgusting.

How about this gem at the end:
"I've given this school 20 years of dignity," Jurich says. "I would hope I would get a little bit in return, and I certainly haven't yet."

Ummm, yeah, I think you got a good amount of money in return for all the good and all the bad you did.

Tom looked like Garfield the Cat pouting into the camera and feeling victimized. Used the “just doing my job” defense on the Yum Center deal. Nary a thought of us taxpayers. He built a house of Cards. The result was inevitable. Won’t own it. Made millions.

Agree with several above: "a mid-level commuter school near the Ohio River" gets an instant induction into the nickname hall of fame. Much better than U-6, for example. This is gold. "Little Brother" was born in 1985. 32 years later an equal has finally been delivered unto us....

Tom looked like Garfield the Cat pouting into the camera and feeling victimized. Used the “just doing my job” defense on the Yum Center deal. Nary a thought of us taxpayers. He built a house of Cards. The result was inevitable. Won’t own it. Made millions.
Just doing my job, negotiating with pom pom waving fair board members. Then we all went down to Hooters and laughed about how the bluebellies were going to build us an arena. #L1C4 Baby!!!11!!!11

Scathing, but not surprising to anyone that lives here.

Makes the whole city and that university look like crap.
It's not a hard picture to paint when you have such vivid materials to work with. I wonder what this does to the value of a degree from there? I have a grandson that just finished his first semester at Speed.

The fact that Turtleneck didn't communicate by text or email because "that can be used against you" tells you everything about his ethics. In spite of how a few loudmouthed, ignorant UK fans worshiped him, Turtleneck wasn't even a good, let alone great AD like they wanted to believe. He was nothing but a crooked sack of dung who gave his coaches the green light to do whatever was needed to be successful, whether it was signing discarded trash from other programs, hiring prostitutes for recruits, covering up a dead cheerleader in a football player's room, the beating of a football player, covering up the shooting of two football players and a cheerleader, to the actual paying of players to come to University Six. And certainly we can't forget that maybe Turtleneck's biggest "talent" was his financial "creativity". Hopefully, that creativity will land his ass in a prison jumpsuit one day.

Great post but his moniker is actually, "Lord Turtleneck".

I can't believe the sports marketing guy at UNC Chapel Hill had anything to say about this. When you live in a glass house you should probably just stfu. Arrogant bast@rds in the all cheaters conference. I hope they both get burned to the ground. I hope Karma gets UNC because the NCAA surely won't. It took the FBI getting involved to get little brothel maybe they should take a trip to Chapel Hill as well.

Would have been nice to see a piece written about UNCheat similar to this but Skipper would never have allowed that. I will take this though. Can't wait for the 30 for 30 on this!!
Also, loving this pic with the Godfather Jurich in the background and Pimptino appearing to wipe the cocaine from his nose.
i

Last edited:
Reactions: catben
Can't believe the sports marketing guy at Chapel Hill commented on this at all. Glass house and all. Arrogant bastar@rds in the all cheaters conference. It took the FBI to take little brothel down because the NCAA is gutless. Maybe they should make a trip over to Chapel Hill while they are at it.

That's scathing, and while not much is new, it is significant in that it will make it much harder for the NCAA to show any type leniency.

It was so rich of him acting like a victim, despite making millions, with vacations home in CO and FL. It is great when people lose perspective on life make asses out of themselves in full view

It reminded me of how Ken Lay's wife openly wept on television that they would have to sell "some of their homes" while thousands of Enron employees lost basically everything they had ever worked for because her husband was a crook.

This is all good, but I'm waiting to see if the idiots at NCAA will do anything about this. They need to throw down the hammer on UL!

OUCH! Jurich is a crook who lined his pockets with millions at the expense of the taxpayers in Jefferson County and he has the audacity to take this "woe is me" approach, claiming that he was just doing his job. He's a total piece of shit!
Ha HA HAR hope the Losevile fans enjoy the death penalty .

Reactions: awf and Cindog28
It reminded me of how Ken Lay's wife openly wept on television that they would have to sell "some of their homes" while thousands of Enron employees lost basically everything they had ever worked for because her husband was a crook.
I would gladly take multiple nice houses for free only to have to give up "some" in return after they've appreciated in value over the years

Can't believe the sports marketing guy at Chapel Hill commented on this at all. Glass house and all. Arrogant bastar@rds in the all cheaters conference. It took the FBI to take little brothel down because the NCAA is gutless. Maybe they should make a trip over to Chapel Hill while they are at it.

You mean the uncaa?

Still Jurich is a multi millionaire with 3 homes and still getting paid by UL. Will probably get millions more in a settlement. UL has all the facilities and still have the one sided Yum scam ongoing. UL kept the Adidas 160 million deal. Jurich's buddy and Pitino's protege are running the A Dept. Yeah 2 millionaires lost their jobs but not a lot of legal or legislative changes. Jim Wayne and Mike Harmon obviously knew all of this graft was occurring but what has changed to correct it? Why isn't the state rewriting that lease?

"a midlevel commuter school near the Ohio River"
- From the ESPN article on UofL's filth.

Never has a truer, more perfect description of UofL been written...

UofL and its fans are perfectly content to run their school like a Mafia enterprise in the pursuit of hollow victories.

It's certainly fitting that they're being stripped of all those ill-gotten gains, at least on the basketball court.

It looks like the thieves who've pilfered millions from the UofL Foundation, made shady real estate deals, committed the crime of self-dealing of taxpayer funds in regards to the criminal Yum! Center lease will escape punishment... (on this mortal coil, at least...)

Dead cheerleaders, un-investigated shootings swept under the rug, IT NEVER ENDS.

And none of them care(d). One iota.

An eyesore for this entire state and you can spend 5 minutes listening to their fans or reading them online and it's completely obvious that same culture is still embedded to the root of the University of Adidas and its fans.

Unrestrained greed and jealousy of UK led them to this sorry conclusion.

Last edited:
I predict Capt Suntan will whoop somebody's azz..Nobody attacks the "J" nobody!

I'm as a big an anti-UofL guy as any, but the death penalty isn't happening. Nor should it. Sure, it probably is deserved, but the collateral damage is too much, and an important consideration. The lack of games costs people jobs - ushers, parking attendants, servers, bartenders, uber drivers, taxi drivers and on and on. Plus, no games means a hit in revenue to the Yum! Center...which is a bigger burden to Louisville taxpayers (lots of UK fans here) and Kentucky taxpayers. A default on the arena bonds isn't good for anyone.

Regardless of how many media say that vacating games and stripping titles/banners is dumb, there is no bigger punishment to UofL. None. Losing that 2013 title will crush them. I think future penalties need to limit non-conference games, perhaps live TV (hurts local bars though), serious scholarship limitations (1 or 2 per year doesn't hurt a basketball program at all - needs to be 3 or 4 per season), postseason play bans, FINANCIAL penalties, and major recruiting limitations.

They are a dirty, rotten to the core program. The only people that don't see it are Louisville fans, and it is embarrassing.

Still Jurich is a multi millionaire with 3 homes and still getting paid by UL. Will probably get millions more in a settlement. UL has all the facilities and still have the one sided Yum scam ongoing. UL kept the Adidas 160 million deal. Jurich's buddy and Pitino's protege are running the A Dept. Yeah 2 millionaires lost their jobs but not a lot of legal or legislative changes. Jim Wayne and Mike Harmon obviously knew all of this graft was occurring but what has changed to correct it? Why isn't the state rewriting that lease?

Not caring about Jurich or Pitino, as they are set for life and their kids will be as well, but I guess you can chalk this up as "the ends justify the means"? UL is still in the ACC and the money will continue to flow in. I think Petrino has burned too many bridges to go anywhere so I think he stays. The arena is not going anywhere and neither are the new athletic facilities.

The new administration will not all the Athletics program to run the school going forward and will start the make the department investments as needed.

FBI is not going to dig anywhere deeper...too many politicians and highly connected people involved. Mitch will do his part from the Federal level.

Pitino and Jurich just became too full of themselves and that was their downfall. Everything else will stay the same.

This was my favorite sentence in the article. All the world now understand what a midlevel commuter school near the Ohio River smells like.

Jurich and his House of Cards were the proverbial lipstick on a pig.

UofLOL is a third rate commuter school with gold plated athletics facilities and a reputation in tatters.

Meanwhile UK athletics has passed UofLOL in the Directors Cup standings, funds hundreds of scholarships, has never had a financial scandal and has had no NCAA problems for nearly 20 years now.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT