ADVERTISEMENT

E60 on ESPN 2 major investigative report on UL

I'm as a big an anti-UofL guy as any, but the death penalty isn't happening. Nor should it. Sure, it probably is deserved, but the collateral damage is too much, and an important consideration. The lack of games costs people jobs - ushers, parking attendants, servers, bartenders, uber drivers, taxi drivers and on and on. Plus, no games means a hit in revenue to the Yum! Center...which is a bigger burden to Louisville taxpayers (lots of UK fans here) and Kentucky taxpayers. A default on the arena bonds isn't good for anyone.

Regardless of how many media say that vacating games and stripping titles/banners is dumb, there is no bigger punishment to UofL. None. Losing that 2013 title will crush them. I think future penalties need to limit non-conference games, perhaps live TV (hurts local bars though), serious scholarship limitations (1 or 2 per year doesn't hurt a basketball program at all - needs to be 3 or 4 per season), postseason play bans, FINANCIAL penalties, and major recruiting limitations.

They are a dirty, rotten to the core program. The only people that don't see it are Louisville fans, and it is embarrassing.

Exactly. Too much collateral damage to downtown, the city, and the state (even though many here will never admit it).

I'm as a big an anti-UofL guy as any, but the death penalty isn't happening. Nor should it. Sure, it probably is deserved, but the collateral damage is too much, and an important consideration. The lack of games costs people jobs - ushers, parking attendants, servers, bartenders, uber drivers, taxi drivers and on and on. Plus, no games means a hit in revenue to the Yum! Center...which is a bigger burden to Louisville taxpayers (lots of UK fans here) and Kentucky taxpayers. A default on the arena bonds isn't good for anyone.

Regardless of how many media say that vacating games and stripping titles/banners is dumb, there is no bigger punishment to UofL. None. Losing that 2013 title will crush them. I think future penalties need to limit non-conference games, perhaps live TV (hurts local bars though), serious scholarship limitations (1 or 2 per year doesn't hurt a basketball program at all - needs to be 3 or 4 per season), postseason play bans, FINANCIAL penalties, and major recruiting limitations. The

They are a dirty, rotten to the core program. The only people that don't see it are Louisville fans, and it is embarrassing.
Whether they get the death penalty or not these same people are going to be hurt, Odds are they will suffer greatly for 2 or 3 years in the win/loss column which will drive there fans away from YUM and the downtown area. The economic impact will be less if they do not get the death penalty, but, after whatever sanctions they get it will still be felt.

You all may also want to watch Outside the Lines Tuesday at one PM as the story progresses and more of what’s in the written article is shown visually.

PEACE

Lou

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
I'm really confused about why they are even allowed to play basketball at the moment
I thought about this too. My guess is that nothing will be announced that would hurt attendance or viewership for these schools until late in the season. Then I think you might see some post-season banhammers drop. Just a guess. IMO there's no way UL or Arizona (and probably others) should be eligible for post season play.

If the NCAA doesn't apply the "Death Penalty" in the UofL case then it should forever be stricken from their list of possible penalties. From Katina Powell to the Adidas scandal and everything on the periphery, it's going to take a pretty amazing defense to allow UofL to avoid the harshest of verdicts. In all honesty, every single win that basketball program has had since 2010 should be expunged from the record. Think about that for a moment. The vastness and scale of the corruption is unparalleled in modern sports history.

Let's just hope somebody sends Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale a link to that article.

Very long article so here is my best summary:

UofL went from a commuter school to a powerhouse athletic program, but in doing so Jurich and Ramsey ran the public institution like it was their kingdom. They operated under a heavy veil of secrecy and bullied media outlets during their reign. They made UofL the only athletic program that took money from taxpayers, students, and the school's endowment in order to increase their wealth and power.
The most corrupt deal was the Yum Center which will eventually cost the tax payers over 1 billion dollars, while UofL receives about 90% of all revenue [ yes they even get 90% of the money from concerts and all non school related events]. One Louisville businessman called it "the biggest taxpayer scandal in the history of Louisville"

Last edited:

UofL went from a commuter school to a powerhouse athletic program, but in doing so Jurich and Ramsey ran the public institution like it was their kingdom. They operated under a heavy veil of secrecy and bullied media outlets during their reign. They made UofL the only athletic program would take money from taxpayers, students, and the school's endowment.
The most corrupt deal was the Yum Center which will eventually cost the tax payers over 1 billion dollars, while UofL receives about 90% of all revenue [ yes they even get 90% of the money from concerts and all non school related events]. One Louisville businessman called it "the biggest taxpayer scandal in the history of Louisville"
Darn good summary of the article.
One thing the article doesn’t stress is UL tying up the dates from November until March also assures the ultimate bankruptcy of the Arena. No way a venue of that type can make money without constant usage . For instance the United Center has both the Blackhawks and the Bulls plus conventions. Quicken in Cleveland has conventions constantly in addition to the Cavs 41 dates, Staples had three pro teams two NBA one Hockey . Yum because Ric and Tom did not want to compete with NBA restricted use to UL and occasional one night concerts (any arena person will tell u the arena doesn’t make much money off of one night stands).
Meanwhile , in today’s CJ the headline is that the City doesn’t have enough money to pay for its pension obligations . of course not . They wasted a billion plus on the arena .

Last edited:
[ yes they even get 90% of the money from concerts and all non school related events].

I'm glad you highlighted this. The casual reader of that article probably would assume UL takes 88% of premium seating revenue and 50% of merchandise sales from their games only, but it's EVERY event in this publicly owned facility.

I read this article yesterday evening. man what a read...movies are made of this stuff....like bluechips. crazy how shady and deep and political it go's. as I was cleaning up my storage last night in the basement I ran across my tote full of Louisville gear I had put up...about half my wardrobe. soo.... I moved it and put another tote on top of it so none of it would creep out in the middle of the night while I sleep.
ive asked for UK attire for Christmas. true story.

Reactions: DerekMcPwn
Head over to their scout board........ I assure you their delusions are quite comical. Some how through reality augmentation they have it that Katina Powell admitted to making it all up and that Pitino and Jurich were framed for everything and so forth.

And then you have the majority who dont care at all because UK is the boogey man and we're so vile and corrupt that it makes what they do OK. They cry and whine about having the facts in their case yet there is far far more evidence of what they did than their delusions about UK cheating. The hypocrites are getting what they deserve and their pain is delicious

This is why it will never change at UL. Their fans drive the program and they think all this is ok, since UK is the real dirty school. They just got caught for doing a lot less than UK does. Until they wake up, the climate will not change. It may get better, for awhile, but it will never go away.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
I read this article yesterday evening. man what a read...movies are made of this stuff....like bluechips. crazy how shady and deep and political it go's. as I was cleaning up my storage last night in the basement I ran across my tote full of Louisville gear I had put up...about half my wardrobe. soo.... I moved it and put another tote on top of it so none of it would creep out in the middle of the night while I sleep.
ive asked for UK attire for Christmas. true story.

So you gave up being a card fan for being a UK fan? Welcome!

Changing your username would help complete the process. That's a very UofL name! ;-)

Reactions: Deli owl
All you need to know about the attitude (and intelligence) of the UL fanbase is in one of the threads, over on the Scout forum. It is titled "ESPN is anti UL, scum. and biased" They are simply unwilling to admit to the facts. Until they do, and I doubt they ever will, nothing will change at that cesspool.

UofL went from a commuter school to a powerhouse athletic program, but in doing so Jurich and Ramsey ran the public institution like it was their kingdom. They operated under a heavy veil of secrecy and bullied media outlets during their reign. They made UofL the only athletic program that took money from taxpayers, students, and the school's endowment in order to increase their wealth and power.

It's still a crappy commuter school. It attempted to become a big name through sports and succeeded for a while. But the small time attitude is what led to all of this and to its ultimate downfall. James Ramsey was in over his head as UofLOL President and couldn't contain Jurich's ego or resist being stroked by Jurich. Both of them were greedy bastards who should never have had jobs in higher education.

A real, serious university just doesn't act like this.

The whole place needs to be shut down and Louisville needs to look hard at itself to determine whether it really needs and can support a university or should just have a branch of UK there. The state government needs to consider this as well. A series of scandals this devastating should lead to some MAJOR soul searching and change.

Charlotte is a comparable city to Louisville and doesn't have its own university. It has a branch of UNC, as do Asheville and Wilmington.

If you read through the UL boards for the past few months... they've had it in their heads that only UK fans took their transgressions seriously .......... that the rest of the nation didnt really care. And LOL... ESPN with one giant swing showed UL that months later.......... yes the nation does care and see's UL as a cesspool of epic proportions

I heard a U6 fan say that its likely that Nike is behind this ESPN story. Nike must be tied with ESPN and is using ESPN to try to destroy Adidas, their main competition.

That is why ESPN is writing such a disparaging story. Not cause U6 actually did anything wrong.

Last edited:
I heard a U6 fan say that its likely Nike behind this ESPN story. Nike must be tied with ESPN and is using ESPN to try to destroy Adidas, their main competition.

That is why ESPN is writing such a disparaging story. Not cause U6 actually did anything wrong.
Even if that were the case, U6 made their own bed. They chose to be dirty. Nobody, including Nike or Adidas made them hire hookers for underage recruits and their fathers. Nobody made RP approve offering a recruit $100K to come to da Ville. Everyone has a choice in this world. Right or wrong.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Even if that were the case, U6 made their own bed. They chose to be dirty. Nobody, including Nike or Adidas made them hire hookers for underage recruits and their fathers. Nobody made RP approve offering a recruit $100K to come to da Ville. Everyone has a choice in this world. Right or wrong.

Oh, I know, I know. The Adidas angle is just a very small part of all the corruption that took place at U6 over the last 20 years

I was just giving an example how some U6 fans still are making excuses and acting as if their current situation is no big deal.

good point. im up for changing my name....can anyone tell me how? or a mod change it for me... id love to change it.

Turned on 790 for some afternoon comedy. Rutherford said something to the effect of....the program's already dead, why does ESPN keep beating on US?.... I wonder if he's aware that UL gave the NCAA the middle finger and are still fighting sanctions from the PREVIOUS scandal. Take your punishment like a man and maybe they'll quit pounding on you.

I hope Tard fans read this and understand what the perception of UL is outside the city- a ghetto commuter school which cheated and stole tax payer money to try to become nationally relevant in athletics. The result? A national punchline, and an embarrassment to the state.

That's great me and a few buddies that worked at UPS always asked when the ghetto commuter school would play. Now it's nationally known.

Read that yesterday. It's long, but I love the part where they called uavel a "commuter school". Pretty much what we've been calling them for decades. Among other things.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Makes you wonder what Oregon may have been doing. Oregon was Nike's program for a long time. These shoe companies have too much power

NCAA rules should be altered to limit the compensation ANY coach or University receives from outside suppliers like shoe companies. A few million each should suffice.

ADVERTISEMENT