ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rondo a assistant option?

Feb 4, 2024
The dude is one of best defenders ever at UK. One of best gaurd defenders last 25 years anywhere. His bball IQ is off charts as well. Mark is GREAT on offense noooooot so much on defense. Why not Stat with UK alum theme and get Rondo? I k own the rule about a degree but I thought I heard he was close on that. He would kill it across the board being former All nba defense, nba 2 time champion, and multiple time all star. An he looooooves UK. Make Rondo 1st assistant an give the defense to him to scheme.

no he isn’t. He’s a traditional point guard and is open about his hate for position-less basketball styles like what mark pope coaches. He believes the point guard is an extension of the coach on the floor. They would butt heads. I do think rondo will make an awesome head coach one day but these 2 are different although I’m not so sure Pope wouldn’t play traditional offense if it best suited his roster.

I think Rondo is a great basketball mind but I feel like he’s too hard-headed to hire as an assistant right now, especially with the pressure cooker Mark Pope is already walking into. Definitely agree we need to hire a young assistant, ideally a former player, who can be a dynamite recruiter.
He has too many personal issues

I would love for Darius Miller or Rajon Rondo to come on the staff. Rondo is still fresh in the minds of the younger players who watched him play and has credibility with them as a former All-Star and a NBA champion. They both have been where recruits are and plan to go if they have NBA aspirations which every recruit has. It's not about being one and done/NBA factory but finding the common ground with every good player hoping to make it to the league eventually. Having a former player close in age to relate to the players will be huge to add to this staff. An NBA Champion and a former All-Star like Rondo would motivate me if he is sitting in my living room trying to sell me on Kentucky.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I don’t think pope hires anyone that hasn’t already worked under him or ever played at UK.

We need to quit talking about guys like rondo and start yelling for guys like robic who we know left cal on a sour note but was the biggest reason for cals success

I would love for Darius Miller or Rajon Rondo to come on the staff. Rondo is still fresh in the minds of the younger players who watched him play and has credibility with them as a former All-Star and a NBA champion. They both have been where recruits are and plan to go if they have NBA aspirations which every recruit has. It's not about being one and done/NBA factory but finding the common ground with every good player hoping to make it to the league eventually. Having a former player close in age to relate to the players will be huge to add to this staff. An NBA Champion and a former All-Star like Rondo would motivate me if he is sitting in my living room trying to sell me on Kentucky.
I loved Darius Miller as a player. What gives you any idea that he can coach or recruit other than you liked him as a plyer because he was from Kentucky?

Reactions: track42
I don’t think pope hires anyone that hasn’t already worked under him or ever played at UK.

We need to quit talking about guys like rondo and start yelling for guys like robic who we know left cal on a sour note but was the biggest reason for cals success
Does anyone know Robic's current condition. Everyone, including me, remembers his time here fondly, but he left for a reason. Does anyone know if that reason is resolved?

No chance. Rondo will always be the smartest guy in the room and he knows it. He’d be an awful assistant wherever he went.

Probably an outstanding head coach though.

I loved Darius Miller as a player. What gives you any idea that he can coach or recruit other than you liked him as a plyer because he was from Kentucky?
Don't be smug. It was simply a suggestion as a player who has NBA experience, gets Kentucky and can identify with these younger players. Player relations is a huge part of coaching and communicating with these kids. You know, like Amile Jefferson around the same age and is one of Duke's best recruiters. You have no idea whether or not he can coach. Just like pope, why not give him a chance. How can he hurt this team in a role no less than what Scott Padgett or Tony Delk had during Cal's first year? I'm sure there were dismissive people like you in their fan base who said the same thing of a player like Jefferson joining a staff like DOOK for his first coaching role. I have no reason to suspect Miller couldn't do the same. Don't see you offering up any options, just trying to mock others suggestions.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Don't be smug. It was simply a suggestion as a player who has NBA experience, gets Kentucky and can identify with these younger players. You know, like Amile Jefferson around the same age and is one of Duke's best recruiters. You have no idea whether or not he can coach. Just like pope, why not give him a chance. How can he hurt this team in a role no less than what Scott Padgett or Tony Delk had during Cal's first year? I'm sure there were dismissive people like you in their fan base who said the same thing of a player like Jefferson joining a staff like DOOK for his first coaching role. I have no reason to suspect Miller couldn't do the same. Don't see you offering up any options, just trying to mock others suggestions.
No one is going to listen to any options I "offer up" so it is an effort in futility. I just find it amusing that everyone assumes that players they liked would be good at coaching or recruiting. All of the guys you've named were at least GAs for a period of time.

He’s never coached, has an AAU team, and just got arrested last year for drugs and guns. I’d say no!

But, also we need the best assistants possible and not just because they went to UK. Specifically people with recruiting connections as that’s were pope is weak.

Reactions: midnightrocker
No one is going to listen to any options I "offer up" so it is an effort in futility. I just find it amusing that everyone assumes that players they liked would be good at coaching or recruiting. All of the guys you've named were at least GAs for a period of time.
This is a message board. If you don't like the options people suggest which is the purpose of an open forum then you don't have to participate. No one here is expecting Pope or the staff to click on this thread and select from fan recommendations. It is a simple discussion for us fans to put forth some ideas and thoughts. I really don't care how small of a role someone has to take first like Ulis as a student-assistant or whatever. All someone like Jefferson needed was one year as a Director of Player Development and was named an assistant at DOOK. Surely you don't believe there isn't anyone within this program who could not do the same. If you have read other threads, I have named plenty of other assistants from other programs like Saddi Washington, Adam Cohen or Rutger's Brandin Knight who are top notch recruiters that can help Pope with recruiting ties with top talent.

Last edited:

I know this is said a lot, and maybe something changed, but I believe the robic stuff isn’t what people think. Correlation doesn’t equal causation so although I realize the timing is weird, Calipari went south because he was trying to force money into the program. When he couldn’t get it he went half ass into the job.

Robic at Memphis 100% was more of a dugout mom than anything. That I know 100%, so I just don’t think here he meant what many think.

Because he’s a loyal guy and good man, I’d love for him to be given something by the staff. But other than that I want no affiliation with John Calipari moving forward. What he did to this program is unforgivable.

Reactions: bnewt
This is a message board. If you don't like the options people suggest which is the purpose of an open forum then you don't have to participate. No one here is expecting Pope or the staff to click on this thread and select from fan recommendations. It is a simple discussion for us fans to put forth some ideas and thoughts. I really don't care how small of a role someone has to take first like Ulis as a student-assistant or whatever. All someone like Jefferson needed was one year as a Director of Player Development and was named an assistant at DOOK. Surely you don't believe there isn't anyone within this program who could not do the same. If you have read other forums, I have named plenty of other assistants from other programs like Saddi Washington, Adam Cohen or Rutger's Brandin Knight who are top notch recruiters that can help Pope with recruiting ties with top talent.
You suggested in your post that they should "be in a living room" which means recruiter, assistant coach, not grad assistant. I'm fine with former players that have never coached becomed GAs, but don't expect someone that has never been on a staff to become an assistant coach/recruiter at UK.

You suggested in your post that they should "be in a living room" which means recruiter, assistant coach, not grad assistant. I'm fine with former players that have never coached becomed GAs, but don't expect someone that has never been on a staff to become an assistant coach/recruiter at UK.
You're reading way too much into this. I am fine with any of these guys working their way up the ladder in whatever role possible. I suggested proven recruiters in the previous post that you must have looked over who do this for a living if you want to be stuck on Rondo being the one to do it. Rondo/Miller can fill the role of a Delk, Padgett or Ulis and build player-relations here. Can't tell me it would not have an advantage. I remember distinctly Doron Lamb saying Rod Strickland's presence early on was a factor in him coming here. You can't deny though if you are a recruit that wants to go pro that having a proven All-Star/NBA Champion like Rondo in your living room or on the staff when you get there that has lived in your shoes, been where you want to go in the end, that it wouldn't get your attention. That is all that was meant by that statement. I will add to your statement that an assistant coach would never be hired without experience and being a former player is not accurate. Reggie Hanson was hired as an assistant straight after his playing career. Was it the right move? Revisionist history says no though I think Scott Rigot & David Hobbs were more of an issue in the end but to the point it never will happen isn't true. Doesn't mean it will always be a failure to hire a first-timer. Still were some good teams from '02-03 - '04-'05 seasons.

Last edited:
Does anyone know Robic's current condition. Everyone, including me, remembers his time here fondly, but he left for a reason. Does anyone know if that reason is resolved?
I believe his twenty something year old daughter tragically got terminal cancer and passed away a short time later. After that I think he decided to retire and focus on family.

As much as I like Rondo, he has had multiple off-court issues that were not a good look. If he wanted a role within the program, then perhaps a support staff type of role ("special assistant to the coach") is best suited for him at this time.

He grossed about $118 million in his playing career. I don't think his job title really matters to him.

As much as I like Rondo, he has had multiple off-court issues that were not a good look. If he wanted a role within the program, then perhaps a support staff type of role ("special assistant to the coach") is best suited for him at this time.

He grossed about $118 million in his playing career. I don't think his job title really matters to him.
That is a reasonable role for him. His off the court issues I think a lot of people would be able to forgive if they were on the Chris Beard train. I wasn't but also not of the belief someone's career should be over either.

Rajon Rondo brings what Pope needs most right now and that's National Name recognition to bring in players. 99.5 % of the basketball world have never heard of Mark Pope thats Popes biggest problem right off the bat when you don't have players and I mean real good players. You can deal with the problems he may or may not bring down the road after you get established. Example everone one has heard of John Calipari

Reactions: BlueVoodoo
He's not even eligible to be an asst. coach right now. 1) no degreee; 2) AAU Coach

One of those is easily fixed, the other is not. Until Rajon makes a commitment to his degree, he can't be on our staff. Period.

The rest is all just noise.

Rajon Rondo brings what Pope needs most right now and that's National Name recognition to bring in players. 99.5 % of the basketball world have never heard of Mark Pope thats Popes biggest problem right off the bat when you don't have players and I mean real good players. You can deal with the problems he may or may not bring down the road after you get established. Example everone one has heard of John Calipari
Would you say that Dan Hurley had national name recognition when he was hired at UConn? I wouldn't. UK fans over the age of 40 know the Hurley name because of Bobby, but he didn't jump off the page to recruits. Neither did Jon Scheyer. Hubert Davis...maybe? But recruits still recognized the name UConn, Duke, and UNC, and so did their parents. Same will happen for Kentucky.

Reactions: Jont0805
I love the idea and hope it stays fresh in people's mind someday eventually if Rondo chooses to advance in his coaching career and plant the seed. He won't be an AAU coach forever like Penny Hardaway who launched his coaching career out of AAU. If not, there are other players so it doesn't have to just be him. I think Scott Padgett is on the right track with the success he has had as an assistant to HC Chris Jans with Miss St. so far. Familiar with our league. Don't let him waste in Starkville when he could be back in Lexington.

Pope is going to need some people of color on the bench at UK. This is not BYU. And it's not 1965.
Many are openly calling for Tyler Ulis to have role with the staff. To be honest, I think he would make more sense as an assistant coach than Rondo. If you compare Ulis to Jai Lucas, then Ulis comes across as having a better personality. I also believe that he would be a good recruiter, especially in the Midwest/Chicago area. He would also be a continuing link between the players of the Cal era. Ulis doesn't have any known off court problems like Rondo. Ulis checks a lot of boxes if you want a former player (of color) as an assistant coach under Pope.

Many are openly calling for Tyler Ulis to have role with the staff. To be honest, I think he would make more sense as an assistant coach than Rondo. If you compare Ulis to Jai Lucas, then Ulis comes across as having a better personality. I also believe that he would be a good recruiter, especially in the Midwest/Chicago area. He would also be a continuing link between the players of the Cal era. Ulis doesn't have any known off court problems like Rondo. Ulis checks a lot of boxes if you want a former player (of color) as an assistant coach under Pope.
I would love to have Ulis back on this staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT