ADVERTISEMENT

Dwayne Peevey informally declines future Kentucky AD job

If by “major” you mean the Alabamas and UGAs while the rest of the conference fights for leftovers then I could see your point. Only a handful of programs have that notoriety historically.

Stoops has us competing now so the past doesn’t dictate the future.

He’s a Louisville fan “Leadbelly”. Weirdo guy.

UK football has risen to middle of the pack that’s for sure. Better than Louisville by miles, we just don’t get the benefit of playing in the Fisher-price league. Kentucky in the ACC would probably be a top 2-4 program yearly. The SEC is NFL-lite, hard to win. Idiots don’t get that, is what it is.

He’s a Louisville fan “Leadbelly”. Weirdo guy.

UK football has risen to middle of the pack that’s for sure. Better than Louisville by miles, we just don’t get the benefit of playing in the Fisher-price league. Kentucky in the ACC would probably be a top 2-4 program yearly. The SEC is NFL-lite, hard to win. Idiots don’t get that, is what it is.
Thanks. I should have recognized that.

Reactions: Jeff2Reed
If by “major” you mean the Alabamas and UGAs while the rest of the conference fights for leftovers then I could see your point. Only a handful of programs have that notoriety historically.

Stoops has us competing now so the past doesn’t dictate the future.
There are a lot more majors than Bama or UGA Michigan, Oh st. LSU, Auburn, Oregon, TX, USC Oklahoma, Clemson, FSU, Tenn, Mizzouri, OleMiss, Notre Dame, OK St., Penn St, Miami, UF are all football schools. There are several others I am sure I missing as well. UK isn't in that league.

Has us competing? The last 2 years we have gone 7-5, and haven’t really competed against any good teams. We weren't even in the top 40 of the AP poll to finish this past season. Good Lord, dude. You have incredibly low standards for being a major football school, or even a football school at all.

There are a lot more majors than Bama or UGA Michigan, Oh st. LSU, Auburn, Oregon, TX, USC Oklahoma, Clemson, FSU, Tenn, Mizzouri, OleMiss, Notre Dame, OK St., Penn St, Miami, UF are all football schools. There are several others I am sure I missing as well. UK isn't in that league.

Has us competing? The last 2 years we have gone 7-5, and haven’t really competed against any good teams. We weren't even in the top 40 of the AP poll to finish this past season. Good Lord, dude. You have incredibly low standards for being a major football school, or even a football school at all.

7-5 is routine in the SEC for good programs, happens every year. What it appears is you don’t understand the climate of football in any form. Tennessee, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida on and on all have those types of seasons. So what’s the point you’re making? That we’re not Georgia? Even Clemson has them. So we’re not Alabama under Saban. Great points man! Great points! Hella brain activity you should teach the gifted classes at the primary school!!!

Oh lead belly.

• Haha
Reactions: Thats An Awful Idea
7-5 is routine in the SEC for good programs, happens every year. What it appears is you don’t understand the climate of football in any form. Tennessee, Texas A&M, LSU, Florida on and on all have those types of seasons. So what’s the point you’re making? That we’re not Georgia? Even Clemson has them. So we’re not Alabama under Saban. Great points man! Great points! Hella brain activity you should teach the gifted classes at the primary school!!!

Oh lead belly.
They do, but they aren't the norm for them. Any team can have a bad year or 2, but real football programs don't hang their hats on 7-5 and claim it's okay because other schools occasionally have those years too.

We're not close to any of those school or about 50 others around the country. List me all of UK footballs top accomplishments? If we are a top football program as you all seem to think, we should have several from you to choose from! 😉

If you want to think I'm Leadbelly, go for it. It's a good laugh for me and that poster.

They do, but they aren't the norm for them. Any team can have a bad year or 2, but real football programs don't hang their hats on 7-5 and claim it's okay because other schools occasionally have those years too.

We're not close to any of those school or about 50 others around the country. List me all of UK footballs top accomplishments? If we are a top football program as you all seem to think, we should have several from you to choose from! 😉

If you want to think I'm Leadbelly, go for it. It's a good laugh for me and that poster.

Didn’t read a word of it. I’m sure it was more mindless trolling performed by our special Louisville buddy.

Gifted classes!! Bright thinker here.

Didn’t read a word of it. I’m sure it was more mindless trolling performed by our special Louisville buddy.

Gifted classes!! Bright thinker here.
Sure you did, you just know there is nothing logical to respond with. Thank you for proving my point!

Also, who the hell would still be a Louisville fan? You can do better than that, right?

So in your thinking we should just quit investing in football and hire an AD who will be satisfied with the Bill Curry days?

He just disproved your point. Take the “L”

To criticize Peevy at DePaul for getting OSU's basketball coach is stupid. Maybe he wasn't good at OSU, but he was good at Butler, and no one is looking for the DePaul job. I think it was a good hire by him. I also think he will eventually be our AD. We could hire Jesus Christ as our AD and if we didn't win every game in every sport there would be daily threads to fire him, so why does it matter?
Jesus had a pretty good track record of hiring… except for that Judas guy.

Sure you did, you just know there is nothing logical to respond with. Thank you for proving my point!

Also, who the hell would still be a Louisville fan? You can do better than that, right?

Didn’t read that either. There’s something psychologically pleasing about allowing you to blather on and on and never reading the first word. Don’t mind talkin to ya lead belly but you’ll be doing all the reading.

So in your thinking we should just quit investing in football and hire an AD who will be satisfied with the Bill Curry days?
Basically. We are a basketball school. We do well in some other smaller sports as well, but the brunt of our athletic funds should be spent where we have the most opportunity of success.
He just disproved your point. Take the “L”
How did he do that? He claimed he didn't even read it. 🤣
Didn’t read that either. There’s something psychologically pleasing about allowing you to blather on and on and never reading the first word. Don’t mind talkin to ya lead belly but you’ll be doing all the reading.
Sure, man. I'm sure everyone here believes everything you're saying!

Basically. We are a basketball school. We do well in some other smaller sports as well, but the brunt of our athletic funds should be spent where we have the most opportunity of success.

How did he do that? He claimed he didn't even read it. 🤣

Sure, man. I'm sure everyone here believes everything you're saying!
Is this the ghost of CM Newton ?

• Haha
If any of you all that disagree we are a basketball school and mediocre football program could present some evidence as to how that is untrue, I would gladly consider it. So far you guys have just resorted to the use of fallacies, which is usually a pretty good indicator of a lack of a real rebuttal.

Even the coach came out and said the fans are the reason he cannot buy a better team. That seems really odd for a football school.

If any of you all that disagree we are a basketball school and mediocre football program could present some evidence as to how that is untrue, I would gladly consider it. So far you guys have just resorted to the use of fallacies, which is usually a pretty good indicator of a lack of a real rebuttal.

Even the coach came out and said the fans are the reason he cannot buy a better team. That seems really odd for a football school.
You should post this in the Football forum.

You should post this in the Football forum.
I have. They cannot ever answer it either. I just get the same drivel that we don't suck as bad as we used to. Which I completely agree. Stoops has taken us from the dumpster to being mediocre, and occasionally being okay. However, nothing indicates we are a major football program or even a football school.

I have. They cannot ever answer it either. I just get the same drivel that we don't suck as bad as we used to. Which I completely agree. Stoops has taken us from the dumpster to being mediocre, and occasionally being okay. However, nothing indicates we are a major football program or even a football school.
That’s odd. I did a forum search on the Lair for your username and the results set is empty.

Did I say I used the same username at that time?

How come you have yet to be able to list UK'S accomplishments that make them a major football program?
Honestly I don’t know what you mean by “major”? Is there a line to be drawn somewhere? Is it like the “blue blood” criteria discussed here? Is it x amount of BCS bowl appearances? Is it all time wins? There are a lot of football donors who apparently did not get this message.

Honestly I don’t know what you mean by “major”? Is there a line to be drawn somewhere? Is it like the “blue blood” criteria discussed here? Is it x amount of BCS bowl appearances? Is it all time wins?
It's taking an accounting of the most major accomplishments by the program and comparing it across the CFB spectrum. What do we have accomplishments wise that make us a major program?

This really shouldn't be that hard if we are at that level, as several of you have claimed we are.

Well off the top of my head, we appeared in the Sugar, Cotton and Orange Bowls. This was back in Bryant’s day (1946-1953) but half of our bball championships were earned from 1948 to 1958. That’s one bit of history.

We also lead the head to head series against some programs like
Missouri (9-5)
U Miami (5-3)
FSU (4-1-1)
WVU (11-8-1)
Arkansas (who has 1 NC in 1961) (5-3)

We have beaten 2 number one teams in 1964 (ole Miss) and 2007. (LSU).

I guess you could point to top 25 attendance even in the many years we stunk. I guess fan loyalty doesn’t count.

I guess you can move the goalposts as far as what criteria to use, but that’s some I can think of off the top of my head. One thing I’m proud of: we were the first SEC program to integrate (1965).

It's taking an accounting of the most major accomplishments by the program and comparing it across the CFB spectrum. What do we have accomplishments wise that make us a major program?

This really shouldn't be that hard if we are at that level, as several of you have claimed we are.
I would say that since 2018, we are a borderline top 25 program, which I would say is major college football:

1. 6th most wins in the SEC over that time period
2. 10-2 against teams ranked 11-25
3. 2 Citrus Bowl appearances (also 2 Gator Bowl appearances
4. 2 Top 15 finishes
5. Ranked in 26 weeks of the polls during the last 6 years
6. Average of the 25th ranked recruiting class over those years
7. 9th longest active bowl streak in the country and 3rd in the SEC behind Bama and UGA

I would argue that information makes us major college football.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I would say that since 2018, we are a borderline top 25 program, which I would say is major college football:

1. 6th most wins in the SEC over that time period
2. 10-2 against teams ranked 11-25
3. 2 Citrus Bowl appearances (also 2 Gator Bowl appearances
4. 2 Top 15 finishes
5. Ranked in 26 weeks of the polls during the last 6 years
6. Average of the 25th ranked recruiting class over those years
7. 9th longest active bowl streak in the country and 3rd in the SEC behind Bama and UGA

I would argue that information makes us major college football.
Wow! 6th in win in our own conference? How many of those wins were against ranked teams in the top 10?

Are citrus and Gator bowls major bowl games?

2 top 15 finishes in 13 years? In the AP poll we were 18th and 12th.

We are 4-4 in bowl games.

So they were ranked less weeks than they were in the last 6 years, but you think we are borerline top 25?

Our recruiting has picked uo, but we are still typically only better than Vandy in our own conference. For this coming year, we are 12 out 16 teams.

We are 4 -4 in those bowls that we achieve by beating 4 mid majors per year. The 2 citrus bowls were good achievements for UK, the others are crap bowls.

If you think that makes UK a major football college, the standard sure has dropped.

Wow! 6th in win in our own conference? How many of those wins were against ranked teams in the top 10?

Are citrus and Gator bowls major bowl games?

2 top 15 finishes in 13 years? In the AP poll we were 18th and 12th.

We are 4-4 in bowl games.

So they were ranked less weeks than they were in the last 6 years, but you think we are borerline top 25?

Our recruiting has picked uo, but we are still typically only better than Vandy in our own conference. For this coming year, we are 12 out 16 teams.

We are 4 -4 in those bowls that we achieve by beating 4 mid majors per year. The 2 citrus bowls were good achievements for UK, the others are crap bowls.

If you think that makes UK a major football college, the standard sure has dropped.
You initially replied to my post that said Peavy “has no experience with major college football”. SEC football is major college football, regardless how you or I think UK in terms of success. That was never the crux of my argument. I beg you to find a Power 5 AD that comes from a program that has zero experience with football. That’s all I was saying.

As for UK since 2018, I can imagine if you looked at the bowls we have played in, overall record and weeks in the top 25, we would be a boarderline top 25 program during that stretch.

Kentucky is and always will be a basketball school. There is zero debate about that. But you can be a basketball school and also play major college football with some success. I’m still trying to figure out what you’re arguing in terms of Kentucky not playing major college football, when the SEC is the epitome of major college football.

Tell you what...you help these guys figure out how UK is a major football program, and I will give you my previous username.
You’re twisting what I said in my original post you replied to. I said that Kentucky plays major college football. There is zero debate on that. The SEC is major college football.

What can be debated is how successful they have been, which from your posts is how you determine if they are a major college football program or not.

I'm sure he's great at raising money and soothing egos. How can you make a hire this bad? At this time of year? Holtmann fails to make NCAA tournament two years running at Ohio State. So you bring him in to clean up a Big East program you've destroyed. Now? No one rushing to best you to the punch. Mid major or assistant coaches who want to move up more willing to talk after the tournaments.

Can't have decision making like this here

How do you know this? You must be in the in crowd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT