ADVERTISEMENT

Dwayne Peevey informally declines future Kentucky AD job

TucsonCat

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2022
I'm sure he's great at raising money and soothing egos. How can you make a hire this bad? At this time of year? Holtmann fails to make NCAA tournament two years running at Ohio State. So you bring him in to clean up a Big East program you've destroyed. Now? No one rushing to best you to the punch. Mid major or assistant coaches who want to move up more willing to talk after the tournaments.

Can't have decision making like this here

It's a fine hire and DePaul fans aren't mad about it. It's DePaul. They're awful. This Holtmann hire isn't supposed to bring them to the top of the Big East, it's just supposed to get them out of the basement.

No up and coming mid major coach is going to DePaul. Go there and fail and your career is done. An up and coming coach will wait for at least a mid level job in a power conference. Jobs like DePaul are there for already fired coaches to try to rehab their coaching image.

Holtmann was pretty good at Butler. Going back to the Big East might not be a bad idea. Sometimes coaches just need a change of scenery, like Shaka Smart going to Marquette.

I'd have waited to see what happens with Ohio State job. If Diebler's let go, I'd have offered him the job over Holtmann. Diebler's been a professional but he's put Holtmann's no coaching ass on blast with simply talking about the changes they've made--playing talented guys (Royal/Middleton), playing more guys, making sure the players are "allowed to score off turnovers and defensive stops"--what kind of psycho control freak HATES transition basketball? My favorite shot he fired was when he said after Rutgers win "We have a plan now. We all know what we're doing going into a game".

Yeah-that is a hire who I'd want-a guy who has no plan and refuses to play talented recruits. Go get em Holty!

When Mitch leaves, DP will be the next UK AD.
Michael Scott No GIF

I hope not and I don't think he will. Peavy is probably the worst of the AD's that have come out of the Barnhart tree. It would be like looking at the Pitino coaching tree and deciding that Steve Masiello is his successor.

• Haha
Reactions: KYExtemper
For fans that support both major programs equally, he's a 100% basketball only guy. He has zero experience with major college football. That's a big no in my book.
What's the percentage of folks on the basketball forum who actually care about the football team?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I'd have waited to see what happens with Ohio State job. If Diebler's let go, I'd have offered him the job over Holtmann. Diebler's been a professional but he's put Holtmann's no coaching ass on blast with simply talking about the changes they've made--playing talented guys (Royal/Middleton), playing more guys, making sure the players are "allowed to score off turnovers and defensive stops"--what kind of psycho control freak HATES transition basketball? My favorite shot he fired was when he said after Rutgers win "We have a plan now. We all know what we're doing going into a game".

Yeah-that is a hire who I'd want-a guy who has no plan and refuses to play talented recruits. Go get em Holty!
Cal is a great fit for osu

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I don’t know if he’s any good or not but the basketball coach was there when he got there and it is DePaul
Incorrect. He hired Stubblefieid, who I could have told you was going to be a disaster. There is a reason he was an assistant for 28 years.

The Peevy to UK talk is driven by Matt Jones. He may know something, but I do know he really wants that to happen due to the fact he has a personal relationship with Peevy.

Reactions: true blue1
Holtman might succeed there. Clearly didn't work out moving up a level. Look at our recent former assistant doing well now. Just needed to move down.

Plenty of great coaches just aren't cut out for high major competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: true blue1
To criticize Peevy at DePaul for getting OSU's basketball coach is stupid. Maybe he wasn't good at OSU, but he was good at Butler, and no one is looking for the DePaul job. I think it was a good hire by him. I also think he will eventually be our AD. We could hire Jesus Christ as our AD and if we didn't win every game in every sport there would be daily threads to fire him, so why does it matter?

To criticize Peevy at DePaul for getting OSU's basketball coach is stupid. Maybe he wasn't good at OSU, but he was good at Butler, and no one is looking for the DePaul job. I think it was a good hire by him. I also think he will eventually be our AD. We could hire Jesus Christ as our AD and if we didn't win every game in every sport there would be daily threads to fire him, so why does it matter?
Yeah, you definitely need to hangout at the Louisville board. You guys that cry about your own fanbase are comical.

Yep. Almost guaranteed. Kentucky has a problem with outside influence who loves to use the program to make cash and doesn’t care about competing at the highest level in sports that matter. Give me a Kentucky guy who wants to protect our legacy any day.

But we could get in trouble!!!

I don’t care. It literally doesn’t matter anymore. We need guys who care about our programs / our history again.

Doesn't make it untrue

You said Kentucky wasn’t major college football. We’re a D1 SEC school removed a few years from Several major bowl wins, and a narrow loss at Clemson. Our fans are pissed because we went 7-6.
Our facilities are among some of the country’s best and we’re still spending in the arms race.

Yes, we are famous for having a great mens bball program, but what you said was just idiotic and insane. Both can be true at once.

Who is your favorite college fb team?

• Haha
Reactions: Thats An Awful Idea
You said Kentucky wasn’t major college football. We’re a D1 SEC school removed a few years from Several major bowl wins, and a narrow loss at Clemson. Our fans are pissed because we went 7-6.
Our facilities are among some of the country’s best and we’re still spending in the arms race.

Yes, we are famous for having a great mens bball program, but what you said was just idiotic and insane. Both can be true at once.

Who is your favorite college fb team?
They aren't a major college football. How many BCS bowls has UK played in? Playoffs? How many time has UK finished the season in the top 10?

The fact UK's best record was 10-3 should tell you it's not a major football program. We rank slightly above Vandy in our own conference in terms of historical success, NIL investment and usually recruiting.

You're entitled to your opinion, but there is nothing you can logically point to that demonstrates UK has ever been a major football school.

They aren't a major college football. How many BCS bowls has UK played in? Playoffs? How many time has UK finished the season in the top 10?

The fact UK's best record was 10-3 should tell you it's not a major football program. We rank slightly above Vandy in our own conference in terms of historical success, NIL investment and usually recruiting.

You're entitled to your opinion, but there is nothing you can logically point to that demonstrates UK has ever been a major football school.
If by “major” you mean the Alabamas and UGAs while the rest of the conference fights for leftovers then I could see your point. Only a handful of programs have that notoriety historically.

Stoops has us competing now so the past doesn’t dictate the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT