ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Frank Jackson Entering Draft

Will not hire an agent. Wonder if that pushes Duval to Duke. Wonder if K is desperate telling him to enter so they can get Duval and then telling Jackson to return.

Duke freshman Frank Jackson will enter the draft but not hire an agent, @JonRothstein confirms. fanragsports.com/news/rothstein… #BlueDevils
Damn it Cal, look what you've started with the O&D.....LOL :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I think they get Knox and Duval, but if Jackson doesn't stay in the draft, he transfers back home to Brigham Young or something.

If they were to surprise and pull in Bamba, I think Bolden would change his mind about transferring too.

Whatever he chooses, I'm certain it won't be to sit out a year.

How did this kid go from 'he may go on a two year mission before playing at Duke' to 'he wanted to be OAD all along'. I figured Jackson would be one of those guys Duke would be able to talk into hanging around 2-3 years.

Duke is recruiting at an extremely high level. No different than us and maybe slightly better at times albeit arguable.

And if they lose Jackson they could end up with Knox, Carter, Duval, and Bamba. That would be a dynamite class.

They probably wouldn't struggle at all and would be an early favorite. Allen could just as easily turn it around and play for the team his senior year. This is it for him. So I don't buy that they will struggle ether way unless Bamba goes to UK, Knox to UNC /Missouri/ UK, and Duval to SH/Kansas. If that happens and Jackson leaves too, yes, they are in trouble. Don't see it happening, and I'm 99 % confident Jackson will be at Duke next year (maybe Jakarii has the scoop on this one. Hope so.
Duke recruited on our level for 2 years . This year they haven't . They are close but no cigar. They will most likely get Knox but none of that matters unless they get a qualified pg . Duval ain't that most likely. Bamba ain't going to duke , hell I doubt he is even thinking about them really. It is UK or Texas for him. Jackson ain't staying in this draft if he is smart but that isn't going to make or break Duke either way. If they get a pg then they will be a top 10ish team if not a top 20 team but they have zero chance at being top 5 as they just havent recruited good enough. Look at their 7 deep most likely for next year
Jackson/Allen/Trent Jr / Knox/Carter/Bolden / the freshman guard whose name escapes me . That is not on the level of UK , Zona , UL , ect for next season .

Reactions: rgbowlds
Jackson had some very good games late in the year,I think it is likely that he stays in the draft.Duke should have been better than they were last year and Jackson probably should have played more than he did. There were almost certainly team chemistry issues there last year,why wouldn't he be ready to move on if he could?

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Quote from Jackson's Dad -

"He went to Duke for a variety of reasons, and we absolutely made the right decision. If he had gone anywhere else, we wouldn't have had to struggle with this decision. Frank would've been a one-and-done player with no doubt."

When I first read this quote, I interpreted as 'this is a hard decision because Duke is so awesome', but after re-reading it I realize what he's actually saying is that if he'd gone anywhere else but Duke, he would have gotten enough exposure to have been a OAD with no problem.

Kind of an interesting, convoluted way to put it though - you can tell he's a politician.

How did this kid go from 'he may go on a two year mission before playing at Duke' to 'he wanted to be OAD all along'. I figured Jackson would be one of those guys Duke would be able to talk into hanging around 2-3 years.

Is he Mormon? If so, and he doesn't get drafted, I could see him going on a mission and then trying again. I just don't see him going back to Duke. Totally uninformed opinion, but I think Allen is a chemistry killer. Kennard hinted that someone was, and Allen or Tatum were the chief suspects. He could wait to see what happens with Duval, but if Duval picks Duke, no way Jackson comes back. And in that situation, they only have 1 returning player from the top 8 of this season's squad.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Duke is recruiting at an extremely high level. No different than us and maybe slightly better at times albeit arguable.

And if they lose Jackson they could end up with Knox, Carter, Duval, and Bamba. That would be a dynamite class.

They probably wouldn't struggle at all and would be an early favorite. Allen could just as easily turn it around and play for the team his senior year. This is it for him. So I don't buy that they will struggle ether way unless Bamba goes to UK, Knox to UNC /Missouri/ UK, and Duval to SH/Kansas. If that happens and Jackson leaves too, yes, they are in trouble. Don't see it happening, and I'm 99 % confident Jackson will be at Duke next year (maybe Jakarii has the scoop on this one. Hope so.
Bamba is not going to Duke. Don't think Duval has the grades..Spit out the Duke fear. You have been drinking too much of their kool aid.

Well I guess I'm surprised so many think bringing in top 15 freshman by the truck load is now a bad thing. When we do it it's the greatest, when Duke does it they'll struggle because of youth. Ok let's hope the flip flop is accurate at least.

Bamba is not going to Duke. Don't think Duval has the grades..Spit out the Duke fear. You have been drinking too much of their kool aid.

You have absolutely no idea where Bamba is going. My guess is UK as well but he could easily go Duke if Bam returns. Duval will likely sit out a few games but he'll play if he picks Duke which I think he will. Allen is a senior, I expect him to tone things down and I'm sure the Duke staff will be working with him all offseason on his issues. Is that a stretch? And if so, how? Duke could be extremely deadly or average. It's the OAD game they are playing.

I'm not drinking koolaide. I'm evaluating our competition without Duke hate interfering with my thought process.

If Duke lands Duval and Knox they will be competition. If they land those plus Bamba they will be the front runner for the title. If you don't believe that is possible, ok. But it actually is possible and should at least be a concern. Bam against Bamba and Carter would be a bloodbath. Bam isn't that good in the trees.

You have absolutely no idea where Bamba is going. My guess is UK as well but he could easily go Duke if Bam returns. Duval will likely sit out a few games but he'll play if he picks Duke which I think he will. Allen is a senior, I expect him to tone things down and I'm sure the Duke staff will be working with him all offseason on his issues. Is that a stretch? And if so, how? Duke could be extremely deadly or average. It's the OAD game they are playing.

I'm not drinking koolaide. I'm evaluating our competition without Duke hate interfering with my thought process.

If Duke lands Duval and Knox they will be competition. If they land those plus Bamba they will be the front runner for the title. If you don't believe that is possible, ok. But it actually is possible and should at least be a concern. Bam against Bamba and Carter would be a bloodbath. Bam isn't that good in the trees.

I'm all for keeping elite players away from Duke, but I think you need to chill a bit. Every time I open a thread about Bamba, Duval or Bam, I expect to see a 3 paragraph freak out about Duke.

Well I guess I'm surprised so many think bringing in top 15 freshman by the truck load is now a bad thing. When we do it it's the greatest, when Duke does it they'll struggle because of youth. Ok let's hope the flip flop is accurate at least.
No your right but it's not easy. To win with them. This year they had the depth to shoulder the growing pains. They have no interior depth. Next season. We may not get Bamba but it's between us and Texas. Not us and duke. Bolden came back for a reason. If Bamba wants to get some clock at the 4 he is no better off at Duke then he would be at UK if Bam comes back. Carter is a 4. He is about 6ft9 at most he is not a rim protector. So he is your 4 Bolden didn't come back not to start so Bamba may not even start at Duke. Starting job wide open at UK and Texas. K has yet to show he can win with hardly any experience

Morg - maybe you should do a chant or burn some incense or something.

You seem a little too worked up over who Duke might get.

Reactions: Rockford
No your right but it's not easy. To win with them. This year they had the depth to shoulder the growing pains. They have no interior depth. Next season. We may not get Bamba but it's between us and Texas. Not us and duke. Bolden came back for a reason. If Bamba wants to get some clock at the 4 he is no better off at Duke then he would be at UK if Bam comes back. Carter is a 4. He is about 6ft9 at most he is not a rim protector. So he is your 4 Bolden didn't come back not to start so Bamba may not even start at Duke. Starting job wide open at UK and Texas. K has yet to show he can win with hardly any experience

For some reason I don't buy Texas. It sounds like typical smoke and mirrors to me.

Allen is a senior guard who had a horrible year. I expect him to turn it around. Hope he doesn't. Would love to see him implode.

I definitely see Duval going there. And he will clear as soon as he does it.

Duval, Jackson, Allen, Trent, Bolden, Carter is not a bad lineup at all. Throw Knox in that you've got a front runner in a group. Throw Knox and Bamba in that you've got pre season #1.

Like I said, it's a fine line. We'll see where the chips fall.

Reactions: Dablueman
Morg - maybe you should do a chant or burn some incense or something.

You seem a little too worked up over who Duke might get.

Do not want Bamba and Knox going to Duke. Do not want, do not want, do not want. Will be glad when Bamba picks us and Knox goes to Missouri.

Reactions: Dablueman
I'm all for keeping elite players away from Duke, but I think you need to chill a bit. Every time I open a thread about Bamba, Duval or Bam, I expect to see a 3 paragraph freak out about Duke.

Paragraphs about Kentucky recruits who are down to Duke and UK?

Say it ain't so?

You're taking a very odd tack in this discussion. One coach has a system that does well with this system, and the other does not. What am I missing? So, is it your stance that if they only have Allen back among their top 8 players, they are likely Final Four threats, even with Bamba, Knox and Duval? They were supposed to by far the best team this year and they lost 9 games.

Wow, so Bam coming back would push bamba elsewhere but Carter penciled in as the 4 at duke wouldnt impact him?
of course know one knows with 100% certainty where these recruits will land but that is why we can post hypotheticals.
No one should assume puke will be down next year but we should follow your lead and panic over them being potential frontrunner?
Sure.

You're taking a very odd tack in this discussion. One coach has a system that does well with this system, and the other does not. What am I missing? So, is it your stance that if they only have Allen back among their top 8 players, they are likely Final Four threats, even with Bamba, Knox and Duval? They were supposed to by far the best team this year and they lost 9 games.

What does last year matter? We went to an NIT right after winning a title. It happens, and it's not like they just tanked. And it's not like UK didn't rebound quickly and get back to the final four quickly.

What I'm saying is Duke plays the OAD game much like we do, only they always have returning guys. K hasn't had the success we have with the OAD but he hasn't crashed with it either. Anytime you're returning players and adding NBA talent it can click together any given season. They also won the title in '15 with a core of OAD players so ya know, there's always that.

To answer you directly, Duval, Knox, Trent, Carter, and Bamba is a final four class for UK and Duke and how the hell UK fans argue not is beyond me. I'd take that class every year and so would everyone else. My position was Fuke is being undersold and the reasoning is a standard we don't typically see on this board. I just hope the pieces fall in our favor and it's a moot point.

Wow, so Bam coming back would push bamba elsewhere but Carter penciled in as the 4 at duke wouldnt impact him?
of course know one knows with 100% certainty where these recruits will land but that is why we can post hypotheticals.
No one should assume puke will be down next year but we should follow your lead and panic over them being potential frontrunner?
Sure.

Wouldn't make sense to me either, but that possibility is real. What we want to happen or think should happen isn't the same as what happens 100% of the time.

There's no panic. I'm responding to 20 post. Not my fault people lump them all together and push a negative agenda to discredit instead of just arguing the winless position that only at UK youth is not a problem.

Wouldn't make sense to me either, but that possibility is real. What we want to happen or think should happen isn't the same as what happens 100% of the time.

There's no panic. I'm responding to 20 post. Not my fault people lump them all together and push a negative agenda to discredit instead of just arguing the winless position that only at UK youth is not a problem.

I would love to watch you sit in front of a mirror while you have this conversation with yourself, only to watch it turn into a heated argument as you and the guy in the mirror contradict each other.
Right on man.

Reactions: Rockford
What does last year matter? We went to an NIT right after winning a title. It happens, and it's not like they just tanked. And it's not like UK didn't rebound quickly and get back to the final four quickly.

What I'm saying is Duke plays the OAD game much like we do, only they always have returning guys. K hasn't had the success we have with the OAD but he hasn't crashed with it either. Anytime you're returning players and adding NBA talent it can click together any given season. They also won the title in '15 with a core of OAD players so ya know, there's always that.

To answer you directly, Duval, Knox, Trent, Carter, and Bamba is a final four class for UK and Duke and how the hell UK fans argue not is beyond me. I'd take that class every year and so would everyone else. My position was Fuke is being undersold and the reasoning is a standard we don't typically see on this board. I just hope the pieces fall in our favor and it's a moot point.

The 2015 team had Senior Quinn Cook, and Juniors Jefferson and Plumlee. And for part of that season, they also had Sulaimon. This team would only have one upperclassman, and he's not exactly a stabilizing leader. Of course it could happen IF they got all those pieces, but you also have the issue of defense. That has not been a strong suit the last couple seasons, and with little to no experienced leadership, I don't see K getting all those freshmen to play the type of defense Cal gets out of his guys.

Reactions: morgousky
I would love to watch you sit in front of a mirror while you have this conversation with yourself, only to watch it turn into a heated argument as you and the guy in the mirror contradict each other.
Right on man.

I don't typically respond to post that are clearly designed to discredit using first grade tactics but I figure I'd give it a shot, man.

The 2015 team had Senior Quinn Cook, and Juniors Jefferson and Plumlee. And for part of that season, they also had Sulaimon. This team would only have one upperclassman, and he's not exactly a stabilizing leader. Of course it could happen IF they got all those pieces, but you also have the issue of defense. That has not been a strong suit the last couple seasons, and with little to no experienced leadership, I don't see K getting all those freshmen to play the type of defense Cal gets out of his guys.

Hope so. I just think the OAD is a crap shoot and Duke is getting talent combined with experience. I don't expect Bolden to be terrible and I don't expect Allen to become the problem like last year. As I said this is t for him. But we'll see.

Seems like Jackson's best bet would be to take extra classes, graduate early, and do the grad transfer thing to a big-time program.

For some reason I don't buy Texas. It sounds like typical smoke and mirrors to me.

Allen is a senior guard who had a horrible year. I expect him to turn it around. Hope he doesn't. Would love to see him implode.

I definitely see Duval going there. And he will clear as soon as he does it.

Duval, Jackson, Allen, Trent, Bolden, Carter is not a bad lineup at all. Throw Knox in that you've got a front runner in a group. Throw Knox and Bamba in that you've got pre season #1.

Like I said, it's a fine line. We'll see where the chips fall.
You saw where all of that talent and depth got Duke this year......

a couple of weeks ago all the media people were saying Jackson was unhappy and would transfer. Then Duke announces he isn't going to transfer...maybe this is why. Where there is smoke there is usually fire and if he was unhappy enough for the transfer talk to be there maybe he is going to stay in the draft instead of transferring.

Even with Knox and Duval.. it's another Duke team that is too offensive minded. They'll get burned by that just like they did the last two years,

There is Marble Mouth tweet saying Jackson declared in case Duke gets Duval. Basically saying if they do, Jackson will be gone.

ADVERTISEMENT