ADVERTISEMENT

Dual QB

IB4UK

Junior
Feb 4, 2006
Curious if KSR reports are accurate from Ryan are reason for concern. Having 2 QB’s playing regular minutes usually means not having a solid option.

Last edited:
Again......This has been addressed in other threads. Every piece of information that has come out of the program has indicated that Vandagriff has been good and is THE guy. But Wimsatt is such a weapon as a runner (but not a thrower) that they are including him in a Wildcat package.

Stoops & UK football can't win. As usual.

Play 1 qb all the time every snap and he's failing to develop a backup and leaves us thin at the most important position

Give lots of snaps to the backup and he's ruining the season with a dual qb system

1. I don't know for sure if Vandagriff will be "the guy"....but he is QB1 and we'll see. He was blocked by a pretty damn good QB in Beck..who proved alot last year and almost all the UGA buzz is Brock was not a stiff but just not Beck. So I'm cool with that risk we are taking.

2. But here is what is not debatable.....Wimsatt is not very good collegiate QB....I'd even go so far as to say he's not even average. He played alot at Rutgers last 2 years and he was not very good at all. 47% completions percentage 1700 yards passing, 9 TDs and 8 ints. Now 500 yards rushing with 9 TDS....that is pretty good stuff. But in SEC.....you can't just run around....you have to have a semblance of passing attack.

If we have to revert to a Terry Wilson-esqu offensive approach and Brock can't move the offense with this arms and legs....UK is screwed, Stoops will be gone eventually, recruits have no desire to play in a running QB offense and guys like Cutter Boley/Stone Saunders don't fit that approach as well. Wimsatt has shown zero ability to throw the ball well and people dreaming him up are sort of silly to me. 5-6 plays a game (out of hopefully 50ish snaps a game)....I'm fine with. But we need Brock to be at least a poor mans Will Levis circa 2021 for this year to be a good year.

Again......This has been addressed in other threads. Every piece of information that has come out of the program has indicated that Vandagriff has been good and is THE guy. But Wimsatt is such a weapon as a runner (but not a thrower) that they are including him in a Wildcat package.
I hope you are correct but until we see Vandagriff on the field we won't have a definite answer. Bringing in Wimstatt,with Allen and Boley already here, is a departure from business as usual for Stoops. You always have good and reasonable takes on UK football so I ask do you think or have you heard if the staff believes Vandagriff is an upgrade from Leary?

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Leary wasn't that good, but a torn pectoral is an extreme injury.
Brock, by most estimates, will be better than him by accident.
The threat to take off is something Leary could not provide. But one or two extra first downs with an escape will go a long way.
GBB!

Bear Bryant said it best, " If you have 2 quarterbacks you don't have any". Good luck trying a "running quarterback " in the modern SEC. I pray this isn't true.

Reactions: K_TIME

Play 1 qb all the time every snap and he's failing to develop a backup and leaves us thin at the most important position

Give lots of snaps to the backup and he's ruining the season with a dual qb system
Mayb

Maybe true, with Stoops but Hamdan isn't a yes guy, from all indications, and want put all his eggs in one basket. Some say Stoops hired Hamdan knowing he wouldn't have to baby sit. I think everyone is going to love Hamdan's offense, he's not bashful. Think there'll be times we say wow and time we say, why did he do that. I will be greatly surprised if he's not much better utilizing the talent available than past OC's. Also think by the 2nd half of the season our offense will be much more efficient if we don't have major injuries on offense. See everyone Saturday: GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!

I hope you are correct but until we see Vandagriff on the field we won't have a definite answer. Bringing in Wimstatt,with Allen and Boley already here, is a departure from business as usual for Stoops. You always have good and reasonable takes on UK football so I ask do you think or have you heard if the staff believes Vandagriff is an upgrade from Leary?

In response to you doc and also K_time.

When I reference "THE GUY".....that simply means QB1 without question. I don't mean it to say that he's "THE GUY" we've been waiting for since Couch.

As far as what I have heard/read. (though keep in mind that I haven't been in deep with the program for a decade.....but still have a few flies on walls....😉
-Brock has all the measurables and intangibles that you would want: size, arm strength, mobility, leadership, etc.

-Brock is clearly QB1.

-I know the staff has confidence in Brock, but I haven't heard anyone go crazy with the descriptions of how he's doing. They've been pretty tight lipped. So, he could be QB1 by a mile or have a short leash.....we'll just have to see.

-Then finally Wimsatt is such a threat of a runner that they are including some Wildcat packages. This is telling because Brock is fairly mobile himself. So, either Wimsatt is "that" good of a runner that the staff must feel they have to get him out there........and/or that our rushing attack might need a little extra kick. As K_Time said, Wimsatt just isn't a good passer....so, I doubt this is an indication that Brock is struggling to throw.

Reactions: YaketySax
If we have to revert to a Terry Wilson-esqu offensive approach and Brock can't move the offense with this arms and legs....UK is screwed,

Like 10-3 citrus bowl champ screwed?

You better put some respect of Terry Wilson’s name.

I don’t exactly how or why some of our fans became so entitled, or blind. Maybe it’s young guys who grew up in the Stoops era, or just hopped on the wagon.

Point is Terry Wilson is a legend. He did things our fans only dreamt about. He helped make our program prominent and respectful. He had balls. He won LOTS of games here.

Brock Vandergriff has never played QB in college. We should hope and pray he’s as good as TD Terry.

Reactions: Cleatortoises
Until they are proven bad or incorrect, I will trust in what the coaches come up with for the game. If that is dual QB playing, if that is 3 TE sets, if that is 5 wides out, whatever. Until it fails lets just go with it.

I think we do not see much of our normal offense, going to wait for S Carolina game to show what we will really do on offense. My guess is Stoops and Co will play it safe and depend on the defense to carry us game 1.

I hope my take it totally off and we see what we are going to be like from Play 1 of Game 1 and we do not let off the gas all year.

Reactions: docholiday51
Like 10-3 citrus bowl champ screwed?

You better put some respect of Terry Wilson’s name.

I don’t exactly how or why some of our fans became so entitled, or blind. Maybe it’s young guys who grew up in the Stoops era, or just hopped on the wagon.

Point is Terry Wilson is a legend. He did things our fans only dreamt about. He helped make our program prominent and respectful. He had balls. He won LOTS of games here.

Brock Vandergriff has never played QB in college. We should hope and pray he’s as good as TD Terry.
I hate to sound like I’m badmouthing him because he seemed like a good guy, but let’s be honest here. We had literally an all-time defense and running back for our program that year and won several games in spite of Terry Wilson being our QB rather than because of him. For that matter, at least 2 of the losses might could have turned out differently with any semblance of a passing game. Expecting to keep winning at that rate with that level of QB play is only going to lead to disappointment. We better hope Brock is quite a bit better.

When I reference "THE GUY".....that simply means QB1 without question. I don't mean it to say that he's "THE GUY" we've been waiting for since Couch.

As far as what I have heard/read. (though keep in mind that I haven't been in deep with the program for a decade.....but still have a few flies on walls....😉
-Brock has all the measurables and intangibles that you would want: size, arm strength, mobility, leadership, etc.

-Brock is clearly QB1.

-I know the staff has confidence in Brock, but I haven't heard anyone go crazy with the descriptions of how he's doing. They've been pretty tight lipped. So, he could be QB1 by a mile or have a short leash.....we'll just have to see.

-Then finally Wimsatt is such a threat of a runner that they are including some Wildcat packages. This is telling because Brock is fairly mobile himself. So, either Wimsatt is "that" good of a runner that the staff must feel they have to get him out there........and/or that our rushing attack might need a little extra kick. As K_Time said, Wimsatt just isn't a good passer....so, I doubt this is an indication that Brock is struggling to throw.
Brock is the man.
Wimsatt is in the neighborhood of Lynn Bowden running the ball. I said neighborhood. There is a place for that player.

Brock is the man.
Wimsatt is in the neighborhood of Lynn Bowden running the ball. I said neighborhood. There is a place for that player.

That neighborhood is exclusive. I hear Gavin is a quality human, but to say he lives in Mr. Bowden’s neighborhood is a zoning violation.

-Brock is clearly QB1.

Thanks for the reply, what you point out makes sense(especially as to the RB situation) We have been blessed and probably a bit spoiled at RB over the past several years, we probably don't have the horse back there that we are accustomed to seeing.

I think the defense will be a notch or two above the past couple of years(not saying it was awful) but I expect this group to be THAT good. I hope the offense will be good enough to take advantage of what the defense is able to do, maybe even take some pressure off the defense. We have a tough schedule for sure but I expect this to be a good season for the Cats. 8-4 would be a successful season in my book and I believe we can do that.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
I hate to sound like I’m badmouthing him because he seemed like a good guy, but let’s be honest here. We had literally an all-time defense and running back for our program that year and won several games in spite of Terry Wilson being our QB rather than because of him. For that matter, at least 2 of the losses might could have turned out differently with any semblance of a passing game. Expecting to keep winning at that rate with that level of QB play is only going to lead to disappointment. We better hope Brock is quite a bit better.

I couldn’t read past your second sentence. You might want to log off and actually look at TD Terry’s stats and records. You are absolutely clueless.

Until they are proven bad or incorrect, I will trust in what the coaches come up with for the game. If that is dual QB playing, if that is 3 TE sets, if that is 5 wides out, whatever. Until it fails lets just go with it.

I think we do not see much of our normal offense, going to wait for S Carolina game to show what we will really do on offense. My guess is Stoops and Co will play it safe and depend on the defense to carry us game 1.

I hope my take it totally off and we see what we are going to be like from Play 1 of Game 1 and we do not let off the gas all year.
I actually hope your take is dead on and we are able to completely catch SC off guard and beat the crap out of them

Thanks for the reply, what you point out makes sense(especially as to the RB situation) We have been blessed and probably a bit spoiled at RB over the past several years, we probably don't have the horse back there that we are accustomed to seeing.

I think the defense will be a notch or two above the past couple of years(not saying it was awful) but I expect this group to be THAT good. I hope the offense will be good enough to take advantage of what the defense is able to do, maybe even take some pressure off the defense. We have a tough schedule for sure but I expect this to be a good season for the Cats. 8-4 would be a successful season in my book and I believe we can do that.

I've heard many media and analyst say that we'll be much better as a team.......but may only go 7-5 because of the schedule. We're certainly going to have to scratch/claw for what we earn this yr.

Personally though, I'm experiencing a undercurrent of optimism about this team within myself....that I can't explain. I'm hoping to find out that I'm clairvoyant or something. I'll still tell people that I predict us at 7-5......but something has me a little excited this yr.

Reactions: docholiday51
I couldn’t read past your second sentence. You might want to log off and actually look at TD Terry’s stats and records. You are absolutely clueless.
Sure....here are Terry Wilson stats...and they never have been nothing to write home about.

2018 (the Citrus bowl year) 1900 yards passing (that is roughly 150 yards a game) 67% completion percentage 11 TD and 8 Ints. He ran 547 yards for 4 Tds. I can't find a stat on fumbles....but I know of a handful of fumbles he had as well.

2020 - 1200 yard passing (like 120 yards a game) 63% completion percentage 7 TD and 4 ints....another 400 yards rushing and 5 TD.

So, if Terry Wilson was so incredible...why 2 years after Citrus bowl were we a disaster on offense that led to re-hauling the entire offensive staff?

The Citrus bowl team was great and Terry was part of it....but certainly not a leader of that season. That was Benny Snell and the Big Blue Wall, Josh Allen, an amazing secondary, Lynn Bowden doing some special teams stuff that led that season. We got lucky as ass to win at Mizzou and we physically beat the crap out of teams in trenches. Terry Wilson was not a bell cow player for that season.

I’m looking at his stats right now. For 2018, he ranked 12th in the SEC in total passing yards and yards per attempt. 13th in passing TDs while being tied for the 5th most interceptions. 11th in QB rating. I get that we were a run heavy team, but perhaps the most damning are actually the situational stats. We ranked dead last in the conference for completions, yards, and 1st downs when passing on 3rd down.

In 2020, he ranked 11th in yards, yards per attempt, passing TDs, and QB rating. Dead last again in all categories on 3rd down. At least he did do well at avoiding interceptions this year.

You’re just trying to make team wins into a QB stat, but it’s pretty clear he was a weak link on those teams and not the primary reason we were winning. Even just in terms of wins and losses, we didn’t exactly cover ourselves in glory by going 4-6 in that all SEC schedule in 2020. I maintain that he’s not any kind of standard to look up to for our QB play going forward.

The backup qb trope under stoops is almost as bad as "biggest game of the stoops era".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT