ADVERTISEMENT

Dropped third strike

I’ve never really understood the reason it’s a rule to start w and not just a live ball out….but I sure am glad it’s a rule bc we’ve taken advantage of it in back to back games

Reactions: gharding07
I've umpired hundreds of baseball games. I've seen thousands of games on all levels. I've never seen a base runner score from 2nd on a dropped third strike.
Granted college baseball is a much much higher level than local 13-15yo baseball. But when I was 15 I was a decent pitcher (had finished the last half of my Soph yr on my HS Varsity team's pitching rotation going 2-2), then playing in the local rec league team when HS season ended, I struck out a batter (dropped 3rd strike) with 2 outs and a runner on 1st who was stealing on the pitch. Catcher picked up the dropped strike 3 and threw it over the 1B head to try and get the batter out, allowing the runner who was stealing 2nd to score all the way from 1B on a dropped third strike.
To top it off, we lost that game 1-0, that being the only run. Actually, it was also a 1-hitter, the kid who led off the game tripled but did not score & was the only hit. The runner stealing 2nd that scored had gotten on by an error in the field.
A different game that season I had a 4 strikeout inning (same catcher couldn't catch my low slider).

Granted college baseball is a much much higher level than local 13-15yo baseball. But when I was 15 I was a decent pitcher (had finished the last half of my Soph yr on my HS Varsity team's pitching rotation going 2-2), then playing in the local rec league team when HS season ended, I struck out a batter (dropped 3rd strike) with 2 outs and a runner on 1st who was stealing on the pitch. Catcher picked up the dropped strike 3 and threw it over the 1B head to try and get the batter out, allowing the runner who was stealing 2nd to score all the way from 1B on a dropped third strike.
To top it off, we lost that game 1-0, that being the only run. Actually, it was also a 1-hitter, the kid who led off the game tripled but did not score & was the only hit. The runner stealing 2nd that scored had gotten on by an error in the field.
A different game that season I had a 4 strikeout inning (same catcher couldn't catch my low slider).
I once umpired a game that had ten strikeouts in an inning. The poor kid playing catcher could not catch that third strike to save his life.

I've seen it a ton of times. Normally at the 10-12u levels with short basepaths and big backstops.

Now what I have never seen in my life is the "offensive conference". I've saw it for the first time over the weekend and it was multiple times. I have never even heard of that.

I didn't watch the video in the thread, but if it's the one I saw last night, then IMO that's a passed ball.

Reactions: Girthang
I've umpired hundreds of baseball games. I've seen thousands of games on all levels. I've never seen a base runner score from 2nd on a dropped third strike.

I have. Catcher lost and then kicked the ball. Hit-n-run was on, runner slid head first into third. Got up and ran home when the catcher kicked the ball

Reactions: vhcat70
I’ve never really understood the reason it’s a rule to start w and not just a live ball out….but I sure am glad it’s a rule bc we’ve taken advantage of it in back to back games
Every out requires the D to possess the ball securely at the point of that out. It's why the C gets credited with the PO on a K.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Every out requires the D to possess the ball securely at the point of that out. It's why the C gets credited with the PO on a K.
Yeah. I understand the technicality of it. Just the theory behind “possess the ball securely at the point of an out” applying to non fielding plays becoming a rule has never really made sense to me since it’s a clear “third strike” when swinging when it’s a non hit/fielding scenario. If anything, a dropped 3rd strike being treated as a foul ball makes more sense.

Not arguing either way…it’s been that way forever so no need to change it now…just always been one of those nuances that I’ve found interesting.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
Yeah. I understand the technicality of it. Just the theory behind “possess the ball securely at the point of an out” applying to non fielding plays becoming a rule has never really made sense to me since it’s a clear “third strike” when swinging when it’s a non hit/fielding scenario. If anything, a dropped 3rd strike being treated as a foul ball makes more sense.

Not arguing either way…it’s been that way forever so no need to change it now…just always been one of those nuances that I’ve found interesting.
I wonder if they leave that stuff in just to make sure the players and managers really do know the rules. IIRC, the white Sox C (A.J. hard-to-spell) got on base after a strikeout in a similar situation in the World Series.

Reactions: EliteBlue
^ Very few sites below college have that much room behind as we have. 20' doesn't let the ball go far enough for what happened to happen.

Two years ago the 10U travel team I coach had a walk off “home run” on a dropped third strike. Catcher threw it over the first baseman’s head. When the right fielder finally got to it, he threw home and it bounced over the catcher’s head.

• Wow
Reactions: RogerIndy
I didn't watch the video in the thread, but if it's the one I saw last night, then IMO that's a passed ball.
A passed ball on third strike is live even if the batter swings and misses. So what otherwise would be a strikeout if the ball is caught ended up in a run scored because the pitcher forgot to cover the plate.

Did pitcher get charged with error for not covering plate?

Not a common occurrence, but would a dropped third strike cost a pitcher a perfect game?

I would assume so, if a perfect game is “27 up and 27 down.”
If the runner is put out before reaching 1B by a tag or force, still perfect. No runner reached base. If he makes 1B, then yes. Just like a fielding error.

Reactions: The-Hack
Did pitcher get charged with error for not covering plate?
Mental mistakes are not errors. Plus, you can't assume the runner would have been out had he covered. Misjudging a fly and not touching it is not an error either.

Not a common occurrence, but would a dropped third strike cost a pitcher a perfect game?

I would assume so, if a perfect game is “27 up and 27 down.”
Possibly, but if a player reaches then gets tossed out as part of a double play, the perfect game would still be intact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT