ADVERTISEMENT

Drew offered job

Whats my agenda? If you think it’s anything other than UK being back on top then you’re a fool.
Wanting Barnes and Pitino makes one question your motives.
Nope no chance from me. It’s Barney’s boy not the right fit. He will leave his Cush job at Baylor and be run outta here in two years
Oh no, Drew would be devastated to learn that “Wildcats1st” on a message board isn’t supporting him!!! Lol

Reactions: JFCats22
When the money people was going to front the money for the guy coming off of back to back championships…. You swing for the fences man…..You Cal guys are something else….

When the money people was going to front the money for the guy coming off of back to back championships…. You swing for the fences man…..You Cal guys are something else….
So #1 and #2 on this list were unobtainable. You anti cal guys said you wanted and X and O guy. We’ve got one now. He’s as bland as a rice cake, but you are getting someone who plays zone occasionally, runs out of bounds plays , runs good sets and won’t talk back to the fans. Why you complaining ?

if people don't accept whoever we hire they can cheer for other teams. Cal is gone and you don't know who was offered. I guess you can say youd throw this much money at someone but hell you don't know how much money we have to offer. Plus some people aren't just about the money.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
if people don't accept whoever we hire they can cheer for other teams. Cal is gone and you don't know who was offered. I guess you can say youd throw this much money at someone but hell you don't know how much money we have to offer. Plus some people aren't just about the money.
Are we sure Cal is gone? Seriously!!!!!

He's not even going to ask Billy D. At least feels that way and I think he's interested.

"Billy Donovan said Kentucky had not contacted him about the head coach position.Spoke highly of UK and said he’s flattered, but brushed the last 48 hours off as speculation.“My total commitment and focus is here.”Quipped later: “Has John even left yet?.”
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF
We dont have until the 18th of april to start talking to Billy D and thats if he loses and is out of the play in /playoffs. And we dont have time to wait until his playoffs are over if they advance.

And I mean that due to recruiting.. the portal recruiting .... Our recruits and players are not going to wait 11 days to a month for us to figure out if Donovan will be our coach. Other programs are making inroads with portal players.... And its obvious Donovan doesnt want to commit to UK while the Bulls are still playing.

Reactions: JFCats22
People always looking for a complicated answer because the obvious one hurts their feelings. Clearly neither Hurley nor Donavon had any interest, regardless of the money, so now we're on the fourth choice. Keep it simple...
That’s kinda what I think is going on

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Better hope he takes it guys. He’ll win immediately and there’s no way we’ll offer Beard or Pearl. You don’t even wanna know.

He’s highly accomplished and locked down the country at BAYLOR. lol!!! Sorry it’s kind of stupid to not see this one working out. He’s got a top 3-5 class with him, we won’t lose the wins lead, and he’ll kill it in the portal. I don’t get it at all. Wake up.

Oh and he can COACH. We’ll have a coach for the first time in 15 years. He doesn’t scream GOOOOOOOOOOOOOIO

Just something I was reading about Uconn and Hurley struggling in close games which isn't really a big deal for them considering they don't play in many but I thought this was interesting.

Most of these coaches though: Have coached in a similar percentage of close games (with the exception of Few) and have won more of those games than Hurley. Few is probably an outlier in terms of the percentage of close games because Gonzaga plays their conference season against the West Coast Conference, which doesn't lend itself to a ton of high-level competition. Self is by far the outlier in terms of close-game winning percentage, but the lowest otherwise is Calipari at 52% (Drew isn't far behind at 56%).

Looks like Drew struggles in close games too lol

I love how people are talking down Baylor. Hes been there 22 yrs. He is Baylor. He loses 14 a year and loses in the tourney the first weekend every year. Sad

Nope no chance from me. It’s Barney’s boy not the right fit. He will leave his Cush job at Baylor and be run outta here in two years

You do realize it’s very possible (even probable) that we couldn’t land any of the “home run hires” we wanted right?

You do realize it’s very possible (even probable) that we couldn’t land any of the “home run hires” we wanted right?
You would think an AD would spend more than a day or half day vetting candidates. He didn’t even try for oats. We will be begging cal back in two years. Watch

It is what it is. I wanted Donovan but I will root for UK whoever the coach is.

Positives: probably winning record year 1, probably keep getting top ranked recruits. He plays different defenses. He’s a nice guy and probably answers questions asked rather than rambling on about whatever he wants to talk about.

Negatives: (From what I’ve seen at Baylor)
May not consistently win the conference. Gets a top 3 seed but loses to a lesser seeded team most of the time in first weekend of NCAA tournament.

I hope those negatives go away at UK, I guess we will see

Some of y'all are going to be so severely disappointed if you think we’ll hire Hurley or Donovan.

There’s a misconception we can get any coach we want because we’re Kentucky. There’s not a ton of established championship coaches willing to come live under a 24/7/365 microscope for more money and prestige.

Hurley has a chance to 3-peat, is from the Northeast with a wife who seems hellbent on staying. If money’s not his main motivator, it’s a hard no.

Donovan hasn’t coached college in a decade, has never coached in the portal/NIL era and would have about a week to assemble a staff and roster before the portal closes if he’s hired after his NBA season ends. Timing is off. Use your brains.

It’s likely going to be Drew or possibly someone lower on the list if he says no. Drew doesn’t excite me, but he’s - or whomever we hire - has my unquestioned support to start their tenure. For all the bitching we did about Cal, we have to give the new coach at least a chance to build a team and coach some games before we start bitching about him.

Reactions: WeWant9
Lol, wow. His wife didn't want to leave florida at that time. He's 15 years older, and 10 years removed from Florida. 10 years deep into the NBA. Let's see if he wants to come back.

I’m all about giving him a call but I just don’t agree he is the right guy. He also stated as much today.

Drew at least keeps players for 4 years and can switch defenses. Its not mediocre. Just because you love Cal. Cal supporters drive me crazy.
how is winning a title in the last 4 years and being a top 10 teamyear in and year out not to mention a top 5 recruiter mediocre ? Pearl and Drew were the 2 realistic studs we could get .

Reactions: HoopsDavid
If Hurley and Oates weren’t offered the world FIRST then Mitch has to be fired. His ass has been just as bad as Kal.

The NIL influx that people expected isn’t going to happen if the hire is Drew. It’ll be more than if Kal was still here but not anything close to what it would be with Hurley or Oates.

The one and ONLY way I won’t be absolutely livid that Drew is hired, is if it is confirmed that Hurley specifically and Oates were offered 11M+ and turned it down.

how is winning a title in the last 4 years and being a top 10 teamyear in and year out not to mention a top 5 recruiter mediocre ? Pearl and Drew were the 2 realistic studs we could get .
He’s too similar to Kal. One title, covid year (fluke?), sandwiched between many years of early tournament flameouts. We are already in a 4 horrible horrible drought. If Drew comes in here and gets bounced early in year 1 it’s gonna get bad, bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT